777fan
Topic Author

UA Cancels Some Flights Ahead Of Midwest Ice Storm

Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:30 am

File this under "no brainer" with an ugly ice storm brewing in the Midwest. As of Friday evening (EST), only four cities were technically effected but one of them is (drum roll) ORD. Credit UA for being proactive - it pays to finally have a website worth updating:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52407,00.html

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

DLOnur

RE: UA Cancels Some Flights Ahead Of Midwest Ice Storm

Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:48 am

Good call on UA's part. More airlines should do this to minimize the awful, horrendous stories of stranded paxs and helpless flight crew.

-o-
What you believe is what you see.

AirTranTUS

Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:45 am

Looking at AA.com, they still expect their flights to operate on time tomorrow. I can't say they won't, but it will be interesting to watch.
I love ASO!

SiouxATC

Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:51 am

I knew this would be coming. Good job to UA for being proactive about the incoming storm, I think it is going to get ugly in the midwest. It should be interesting to see if MSP gets any significant delays, looks like they are going to be getting some heavy snow.

Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:54 am

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 2):
Looking at AA.com, they still expect their flights to operate on time tomorrow. I can't say they won't, but it will be interesting to watch.

There is a lot of internal preparation for tomorrow at AA. Also, looking at aa.com, looks like similar flexible changes are being offered to UA. Look under Current Travel Notices.

commavia

Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:59 am

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 2):

I'm sure the SOC at AA will be proactively canceling flights shortly, as well, if they haven't already begun to. When something like this comes along, there's no point in even wasting everyone's time - pilots, flight attendants, ramp and airport staff, to say nothing of customers - by making everyone pretend flights are going to operate when there's no way they'll ever get off the ground anywhere near ontime.

Better to just issue a reaccomodation policy and handle every disrupted person by phone, as AA, UA and other airlines appear to be doing.

SiouxATC

Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:05 am

http://www.nwa.com/features/weather.shtml

NWA is doing the same as UA and AA.

davescj

Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:11 am

At least once they are cancelled, reservations staff can re -- accomodate, re book etc. And some people will be able to fly via other cities (depending on what seats are available.

Do UA, NW, and AA allow people on affected flights to re book on line? That would seem to save everyone a great deal of trouble -- and keep people from having to be on hte phone to the airline for extended periods of time.

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

N801NW

Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:22 pm

Quoting Davescj (Reply 7):
Do UA, NW, and AA allow people on affected flights to re book on line?

NWA and UA customers can utilize self service rebooking via their respective websites. I do not know about AA.

777fan
Topic Author

Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:56 pm

Quoting N801NW (Reply 8):
I do not know about AA.

Looks like aa.com suggests that affected pax call the reservations number. Unrelated (but sort of related!), their site also contains a list of airport-specific issues (construction and the like):

http://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/Vie...ry&itemDescriptor=PromotionContent

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

Seafleet

Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:50 am

As of 4.50pm Pacific Time the FAA site shows no delays at any US airport.

Has it warmed up or something?
Roger

ckfred

Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:56 am

I haven't looked at AA.com, but once I was traveling ORD-LGA on the day a March snowstorm hit New York in the early morning. I called AA reservations the night before to look into getting on an earlier flight, assuming that flights would run late. At 8pm CT, AA had already cancelled the first 3 departures the next day to LGA, assuming that the airport would be in "clean-up" mode.

As it turned out, we were about 30 minutes late into LGA, but that was due to problems at ORD, including high winds requiring 22L to be used for both departures and arrivals.

sw733

Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:57 am

One of those 4 UA cities was MCI, where I currently live...it's been 50+ degrees all day. However, DSM was one NOT covered, and yet a plane skidded off the taxiway...yikes!

jetdeltamsy

Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:03 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 5):
by making everyone pretend flights are going to operate when there's no way they'll ever get off the ground anywhere near ontime.

I worked this morning at ORD and was lucky enough to get out of there by 3pm.

I looked at flight infomation from home and nearly every flight i protected people on was cancelled.

it got real messy, real fast. at 12:30pm it was clear. by 1:30pm there was sleet sticking to the windows and show blowing like crazy.

sooo glad i got out of there before everyone got stranded...or at least knew they were going to be stranded. home never looked so good!
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

UAL4ever

Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:13 am

So much for them cancelling flights proactively. I was on UA 269 ORD-MCI scheduled for 8:36 PM. The flight was scheduled to leave on time until about 8:05. Eventually the flight was cancelled at about 10:20 PM. If UA needs to cancel a flight because of weather that is understandable, but I would rather find out earlier than go to the airport, sit there for 3.5 hours, and then get cancelled. Long story short I got my ticket refunded but I won't have my suitcase until monday and it was a collossal waste of time. Plus, I was going to go to the Chiefs game tomorrow against the Chargers. Thank you UA for ruining my weekend. Makes me wonder why I fly 65,000 miles a year with them.

Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:49 pm

It looks like the cancellation of a number of flights was successful. Most of the rest were able to operate.

However, I am aware that planes skidded off of runways/taxiways at Demoine (spelling?) Iowa and Madison Wisconsin (per the local news last night).

As the post above indicated. There was still some cancelations of the remainder of the flights when the storm peaked. I am aware that the Green Bay and Appleton airports were closed with some canceled flights last night (per the local news).

While I do not live near an commercially served airport - the weather here was really nasty from about 2 PM to about 8 PM yesterday. I can't imagine that airport grounds crews could have kept up with the weather during those hours.

Bicoastal

Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:22 pm

Quoting UAL4ever (Reply 14):
So much for them cancelling flights proactively. I was on UA 269 ORD-MCI scheduled for 8:36 PM. The flight was scheduled to leave on time until about 8:05. Eventually the flight was cancelled at about 10:20 PM. If UA needs to cancel a flight because of weather that is understandable, but I would rather find out earlier than go to the airport, sit there for 3.5 hours, and then get cancelled. Long story short I got my ticket refunded but I won't have my suitcase until monday and it was a collossal waste of time. Plus, I was going to go to the Chiefs game tomorrow against the Chargers. Thank you UA for ruining my weekend. Makes me wonder why I fly 65,000 miles a year with them.

I don't understand. IF they HAD cancelled your flight proactively, you would have still missed the game.

Yes, and I'm sorry an airline isn't 100% perfect 100% of the time. Yes, making decisions during a major storm event....only correct decisions should be made. And passengers deserve to be irrational during such events. (Please note my sarcasm)

Go Chargers!
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

RDUDDJI

Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:36 pm

Taking the last flight of the day during a snow/sleet/ice storm (which was known in advance) is not the smartest move anyway.

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 16):
I don't understand. IF they HAD cancelled your flight proactively, you would have still missed the game.

Ding!
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

sw733

Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:44 pm

I was going to go to the Chiefs game tomorrow against the Chargers. Thank you UA for ruining my weekend.

I'll take your ticket  Smile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos