mozart
Topic Author

Bmi These Days - Successful?

Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:47 am

There was a lot of discussion around bmi's strategy some time ago, especially how incoherent it seemed to many people. Full service carrier with aspirations to top class on 332 aircraft - but using them on holiday destinations, whilst outsourcing business destinations to shoddier planes (no longer though it seems). Owning many slots at the UK's prime business airport LHR - but using them for no service holiday flights and some ERJ operations. No business class on mainline planes that have the space - but offering them on ERJ's. No coherent hub structure: flights from MAN to UK domestic destinations, but nowhere to connect to. Service on "stand alone" routes with little frequency. Reducing service and structure on bmi mainline to LoCo+ whilst also owning a low cost carrier. It all didn't make sense.

As I haven't followed bmi's latest moves and haven't flown them since they first stopped business class on my route (CDG-LHR) and then stopped the route altogether, I am no longer up to date with their strategy, route network and service offering. Can anyone paint the picture of bmi in 2008?

And I'd also be curious whether they have been financially successful with their strategy.

Thanks for any insights

UK_Dispatcher

RE: Bmi These Days - Successful?

Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:58 am

Lets see if this can become a decent discussion without all the usual bmi-bashing and boring jokes all over again by those who just think it is 'fashionable' to bash bmi.

*Awaits sensible discussion*

Beaucaire

Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:05 am

They have started to introduce more new flights into the Middle East ( Jordan,Syria ) -so I think management has not just decided to sit idle but get more new business in areas where BMI have not been active.
Unfortunately they are not very visible in many parts of Europe and it can be expected that sooner ot later LH will try to negotiate a take-over.
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

sk736

Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:14 am

Quoting UK_Dispatcher (Reply 1):
*Awaits sensible discussion*

You might have to wait a long time!

For several years bmi campaigned to be allowed access to the lucrative US market from LHR. Its website regularly had details of the latest lobbying undertaken at the national and international levels and it ran expensive press ads telling the public what a terrible travesty of justice it was that bmi was prevented from providing competition in the trans-Atlantic market.

Then bmi gets its wish. It can finally fly to the US from LHR. All its campaigning has paid off. All of the money it spent has been worthwhile. And what does bmi do? It announces it can't possibly be ready in six months to launch such flights. Oh no, it will take at least another year. That, for me, sums up bmi's approach.

And finally, UK_Dispatcher, I've noticed on several occassions that whenever someone criticises bmi you jump to the airline's defence. Well, surprising as this may seem, the definition of a 'sensible discussion' isn't necessarily one in which the sentiments expressed are the same as yours.

UK_Dispatcher

Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:59 am

Quoting SK736 (Reply 3):
Then bmi gets its wish. It can finally fly to the US from LHR. All its campaigning has paid off. All of the money it spent has been worthwhile. And what does bmi do? It announces it can't possibly be ready in six months to launch such flights. Oh no, it will take at least another year. That, for me, sums up bmi's approach.

From what I can gather, BD do plan to launch their long-awaited routes from LHR to the US, only not instantly. Maybe it is quite sensible to wait until further aircraft are available and until the integration of another large airline (BMed) and the move of all ex-KJ flights to Terminal 1 is complete. I think moving ex-KJ flights to T1 and starting a transatlantic operation out of there at the same time would be something of a nightmare.

Quoting SK736 (Reply 3):
And finally, UK_Dispatcher, I've noticed on several occassions that whenever someone criticises bmi you jump to the airline's defence. Well, surprising as this may seem, the definition of a 'sensible discussion' isn't necessarily one in which the sentiments expressed are the same as yours.

What I am against is the immature comments which usually end up being made by certain people whenever a thread about bmi comes up. I was a big fan of British Midland and their excellent service levels on domestic/short-haul flights up until the early 2000s but they have no particular appeal to me any more.
Regarding me disagreeing with any discussion in which the sentiments are not the same as mine, that is absolute rubbish. bmi are far from perfect and have made some rash decisions over the past few years - many of which have been discussed on here and I have not disputed. Some of the criticisms that have been made on here have been very valid and I have agreed on them. What I can't stand are the people whose only contribution to such threads are to quote something with the word 'strategy' in it and make a comment like 'bmi - what strategy HAHAHA'.

Hence why I would like to see a quality discussion on the subject. My contribution may be limited, admittedly - mainly because I have been out of the UK for a while and have not been following the latest at bmi, so I will be interested to know what is happening.

bigvince76

Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:08 am

I think BD are looking pretty good at the moment. Sure there are still problems but on the whole they look a lot stronger than they did two years ago

On the plus they have refined their modular short haul product and it seems to be working, although it has to be said the European network is only a shadow of its former self. although to be fare on the CDG route they were probable very wise to bale out when they did. With the new faster train and ever increasing taxes on air travel I think the route would have had a very hard time being profitable. The recent expansion to DME and CAI are very interesting (remember CAI was not a Bmed route), it is a little early to say whether or not they are profitable, CAI especially, but time will tell.

Taking on British Mediterranean was a big step and one that will probably make or break BD in the long run. This is new territory for the airline and I think represents a great opportunity, however it cannot be ignored that BA chose not buy the airline and they certainly seem to be making all the right moves at the moment.

Although it is a shame that BD are not starting US flights from LHR next year really what choice did they have? In the past BD have been criticised a lot for poor management decisions, well I think was not one of them. Consider trying to manage a whole new market expansion just a few months after taking on Bmed and doing all this while LHR is in potential chaos as T5 opens. Also try getting a sustained marketing message out to the public while BA and BAA hog all the limelight with T5. Add to this the other US airlines all vying for attention I think BD are dead right to stay out of it. Had they not had the Bmed thing then I am sure they would be first in the stack at JFK.

Things that I think need looking at are the under use of MAN, seems they could have a really good little hub there but they just don't seem to want it, and I think they need to get some more long haul plains, I know there is a vague undertaking to get another 5 A330s but this need to be firmed up and they need to get then NOW!

I must confess to being a loyal BD fan, I have a gold card and at least 6 flights booked for the coming weeks. A few years ago I was pretty down about the future of the airline but now things are looking better.

BrianDromey

Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:41 am

Well last year they made good profits, and the DC FFP is one of the best out there.

The food in now free if you have collected 3K miles, which is not all that arduous a task, and this rewards frequent flyers with BD, or their Star Alliance partners.

The crews are still very good, and BD is moving towards a niche in the middle east. It has also launched code share destinations in co-operation with UA. Expect an AI codeshare on LHR-JFK as well, when they join star. Possibly BD might launch a complementary service to JFK when they get the aircraft. I dont think they will be able to resist.

Ultimately BD will become "a partner of Lufthansa". Hopefully LH will pour the same level of enthusiasm into turning BD into a bigger, more profitable airline, as they did with LX....Im sure they will.

Brian.

theginge

Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:48 am

Quoting UK_Dispatcher (Reply 4):
From what I can gather, BD do plan to launch their long-awaited routes from LHR to the US, only not instantly. Maybe it is quite sensible to wait until further aircraft are available and until the integration of another large airline (BMed) and the move of all ex-KJ flights to Terminal 1 is complete. I think moving ex-KJ flights to T1 and starting a transatlantic operation out of there at the same time would be something of a nightmare.

The flights moved to Terminal 1 at the start of the winter schedule.

mozart
Topic Author

Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:21 pm

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 2):
They have started to introduce more new flights into the Middle East ( Jordan,Syria ) -so I think management has not just decided to sit idle but get more new business in areas where BMI have not been active.

I agree this is a coherent next step to strengthen bmi's position in the Mideast market.

Just two questions on that though: are the planes already painted in bmi colours? And: how does that premium offer fit with bmi's no frills approach on European mainline routes?

Quoting Bigvince76 (Reply 5):
Things that I think need looking at are the under use of MAN, seems they could have a really good little hub there but they just don't seem to want it,

Yes, me as armchair CEO and all the other armchair CEOs here also thought that. Why don't they? I am certain they have done lots of market research, which may indicate that MAN isn't that attractive a market after all. BA's decision to reduce its offering there hints to a similar analysis. On the other hand, many foreign carriers no pick up the traffic (LH, KL, AF, EK, SQ, North American carriers). Can somebody with some knowledge of the MAN market shed some light on this?

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 6):
The food in now free if you have collected 3K miles, which is not all that arduous a task, and this rewards frequent flyers with BD,

I am still confused by the different cabin/class/service offerings they have. Can someone please correct me if I see this wrong:

Longhaul on the A330s: Business Class, Eco plus, Eco
Mainline on the A320 and A319 to Europe: only Eco, except to BRU and DUB, right? But "free food and some other frills (which?) to status pax"
Mainline on the A321 and A320 to Middle East, North Africa, etc (former BMed network): Business Class and Eco
bmi regional on the ERJs: Business and Eco
bmiBaby: only Eco

Can someone please also explain what "frills" are offered to status pax, whether Eco on European mainline means the same "frills" as on European ERJ flights? And whether there is a difference between European mainline and domestic mainline cabin service?

or their Star Alliance partners.

Does that mean all passengers with "Star Gold" status level (say, a Senator from Swiss) receive these frills?

Ultimately BD will become "a partner of Lufthansa". Hopefully LH will pour the same level of enthusiasm into turning BD into a bigger, more profitable airline, as they did with LX....

That may very well be the case. The only thing I don't understand is why this hasn't happened yet. LH is a major shareholder in BD since a very long time and hasn't acted since. Is that because SMB prevents them from playing a more active role?

sam1987

Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:24 pm

Although this is extremely unlikely to happen, if I was Sir Michael Bishop, this is what I'd do:

- Sell the entire bmi LHR operation to BA. How many other European countries have two airlines flying very similar networks from the same capital city hub? Yes, Star Alliance will probably suffer as it will lose a lot if its short haul connections, but having two airlines both trying to be the flag carrier is absurd. Also, there is no demand for BD transatlantic flights from LHR. There are already plenty of carriers (BA, VS and all the American carriers). Sir Michael could get a fair bit of cash if BA purchased BD's LHR operation too. It would be a nice retirement present.

- If they merge bmi regional, bmibaby and their bmi mainline operation that isn't at LHR, then there could be one integrated airline, with the same level of service across the board. Far easier for the customer to understand. The future of European air travel is point to point - if they could provide a good point to point service from bases in ABZ, EDI, GLA, MAN, LBA, BHX, EMA and CWL, they could do very well. Obviously their short haul operations at MAN would connect to long haul services (they could boost the airline's MAN operation with more long haul services), but they would principally be a point to point airline. Then perhaps they should consider leaving Star Alliance...
Next flights: LGW-LBA-LGW, LHR-SIN-SYD, SYD-BKK-LHR, LGW-GRO, GRO-CIA, CIA-MAD, MAD-LGW

sk736

Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:46 pm

Quoting Sam1987 (Reply 9):
Although this is extremely unlikely to happen, if I was Sir Michael Bishop, this is what I'd do:

- Sell the entire bmi LHR operation to BA.

Impossible - the Competition Commission would never approve it. BA already has a dominant position at LHR and will never be allowed to substantially increase its share of LHR slots.

GCT64

Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:11 pm

I can only really comment on the London-EDI route.

Up until about 6 months ago my flying was 90% EZY LTN-EDI-LTN, 10% BMI and virtually no BA.

Now, with BMI fares down to EZY levels, free food/drink on BMI with almost any sort of Star Alliance card, lounge access and (my pet hate) EZY having dramatically reduced frequency on LTN-EDI-LTN flights (this doesn't seem to have been raised in this forum - can anyone explain it?), I seem to find that BMI more often than not offers the best package (flight price, convenience, facilities, service).

The consequence is that my 50 return trips London-EDI per year will mostly be on BMI in 2008 rather than EZY (as they were in 2006).

I'm not sure I contribute much to yield (I am very cost conscious) but I will certainly be taking more BMI flights than before.
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

sam1987

Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:53 pm

Quoting GCT64 (Reply 11):
EZY having dramatically reduced frequency on LTN-EDI-LTN flights

Looking at the U2 website they only seem to have three daily flights from LTN, whilst there are four daily flights from LGW and five daily flights from STN.

What did the frequencies from LTN used to be?
Next flights: LGW-LBA-LGW, LHR-SIN-SYD, SYD-BKK-LHR, LGW-GRO, GRO-CIA, CIA-MAD, MAD-LGW

GCT64

Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:05 pm

I think U2/EZY now have 4 x LTN-EDI (1 am, 3pm) whereas (I recall) it was 5/6 (season dependent) x LTN-EDI (2/3 am, 3 pm).

The changes have really hit the (high yielding??) business flyers reducing the morning flights to one and not having an arrival in EDI before 1000 (0955 to be specific).

As I said above the consequence for me & my company is often to push traffic to BMI (LHR-EDI-LHR).
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

theginge

Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:53 pm

Quoting SK736 (Reply 10):
Impossible - the Competition Commission would never approve it. BA already has a dominant position at LHR and will never be allowed to substantially increase its share of LHR slots.

Even by buying BMI BA would still have a smaller share of the slots than Lufty do at FRA and AF have at CDG. Fair enough that this would strip competition on domestic routes but how many different ways do you need of getting from London to other UK cities, there is the train, bus, car, low cost carriers.

AIR MALTA

Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:24 pm

Quoting Sam1987 (Reply 9):
Sell the entire bmi LHR operation to BA. How many other European countries have two airlines flying very similar networks from the same capital city hub?

I would do that as well, if I were him. It is time we had a stronger UK airline to compete with LH and AF. If LH was ever to take BD we can kiss our British airlines good bye. LH is so dominant in Europe.

Quoting Theginge (Reply 14):
Even by buying BMI BA would still have a smaller share of the slots than Lufty do at FRA and AF have at CDG. Fair enough that this would strip competition on domestic routes but how many different ways do you need of getting from London to other UK cities, there is the train, bus, car, low cost carriers.

That's right you can choose U2, AF or BA to go to London. Does it hasve to be LHR?
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

cf105arrow

Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:44 pm

I am wondering how well they are doing on the BMED destinations. The pax loads to Beirut and Khartoum (specially) Khartoum seem rather poor at best.

Nov 12 inbound to LHR:
Old planes no IFE and almost no pax at all.
Very strict on luggage weight (whereas ME is much looser on Luggage weight, has much newer planes and IFE on each seat).

Nov 27 outbound
Pax load were a bit better (I might be wrong but it doesn't look at all like a break even), A321 (IFE : LCD on overhead bins, had to be rebooted a few times but didn't work probably during the whole trip).
Very strict on luggage weight.

I understand that being strict on the 20kg luggage weight is the norm for most airlines, but considering that they are entering into new markets where they need to create a following and in the case of Bey at least, where they are offering a product that is below their competitor, I would have thought that given the plane loads they would be more flexible early on to gain new pax loyalty.

StarGoldLHR

Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:01 pm

Quoting Amciver (Reply 21):
I was under the impression that the Star Alliance was supposed to have similar levels of service throughout the individual members.

I find BMIs approach in this instance bizzare. If I had been connecting from a J class SQ flight and then been charged for a coffee on the LHR to MAN sector I would have thought it a farce

Airlines always look after their own. Despite having a UA gold SQ always puts me at the back in the middle with galley and the toilet,
BMI often dont honour UA gold cards in their lounges, SWISS dont honour it at Zurich airport at all.
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

BrianDromey

Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:21 pm

Quoting Amciver (Reply 21):
Within the past 6 months I flew BD from MAN to LHR. I have an SQ gold card and I had to pay for food and drink, the BMI gold card passenger next to me had his for free. I had been able to use the Lounge in MAN.

I was under the impression that the Star Alliance was supposed to have similar levels of service throughout the individual members.

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 22):
explain that priority.... its basically perk for occasional bmi flyers who only fly bmi.

I'll take both together:
If you have a BD card of any type then you get BD associated perks. Miles of ANY *A carrier can be credited to BD Diamond Club for destinations and status miles. BD gold is a mere 58K to get and 38K to keep. Some fares on *A metal can earn up to 625% of base milage for both destinations and status. So thats how the new concept rewards frequent fliers on BD or their star alliance partners, when crediting miles to the BD program.

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 23):
BMI often dont honour UA gold cards in their lounges, SWISS dont honour it at Zurich airport at all.

This should not be the case. *A gold should be able to enter a lounge at these airports where a *A partner OPERATES their own branded lounge. However it is not always the same lounge as an airlines own gold passengers can use.

Brian.

StarGoldLHR

Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:40 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 24):
This should not be the case. *A gold should be able to enter a lounge at these airports where a *A partner OPERATES their own branded lounge

I just recently flew ZRH - GRU, and in the terminal the lounge only welcomes SWISS Gold Card Holders, any other star alliance holders are rejected and told to goto the other terminal 20 minutes away.

So for my next GRU trip i'm not going through switzerland
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

ManchesterMAN

Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:19 pm

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 22):
I have a 50k United Star Alliance gold card... gets me a middle seat in row 22 and no free food.
But I also have a 3k BMI Blue card.. gets me window or aisle row 5 with free food !

explain that priority.... its basically perk for occasional bmi flyers who only fly bmi.

I have a BD *Gold card and I have to sit in United Economy- Some guy who gets gifted 3P (Premier Associate) and gets to sit in E+ even though he may never have flown UA before. And neither of us get food. My point is that *A is so big that soon everyone will have some sort of Star Allaince status (ok I exaggerate but still). Therefore individual carriers need to keep benefits "in house" in order not to dilute the value of their own programmes.

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 25):
I just recently flew ZRH - GRU, and in the terminal the lounge only welcomes SWISS Gold Card Holders, any other star alliance holders are rejected and told to goto the other terminal 20 minutes away.

Are you talking about the lounge complex in the main terminal or the one that is supposed to exist in the E pier? There is certainly no problem accessing the one in the main terminal with a *G card (done it many times). And either way lounge to E pier is more like 5 minutes away and you get to ride the funky tram with cow noises. I could ride that thing all day  Wink
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

UAL777UK

Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:45 pm

Quoting F4f3a (Reply 19):
what happened to the rumours of merger or take over of bmi by virgin?

Err, I think that was just it....a rumour and no more at that time, although we all know that SRB would love to get his mits on BD and those coveted slots.

IMHO its just a matter of time before LH come on to the dance floor and buyout BD.

mozart
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:46 pm

Re: the question whether bmi should leave Star:

I don't think you can compare it with UA, US and SK. Sure, they also went to a pay-for-food offering and their service overall is - excuse me - crap. But UA, US and SK still have a functioning First resp. Business Class on most shorthaul flights. If one wants to pay the price, one gets that "premium" service (however crappy it may be). On BD, no such thing.

Second, I agree with the view that BD's holding of many slots is a major asset for the alliance. But why then I wonder isn't that asset used at all? Does BD really act as a major feeder to the alliance's LHR network? I don't have the impression, but I could be wrong.

UAL777UK

Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:04 pm

Quoting Mozart (Reply 28):
Does BD really act as a major feeder to the alliance's LHR network? I don't have the impression, but I could be wrong.

I know for a fact that BD feed a lot of Irish and Scots into LHR which then continue to the States with UA, so if they are doing it with them, they are going to be doing it with others as well in the *A. Thats just a small example but IMHO, there must be a considerable amount of feed coming off BD at LHR for onward coneections.

antixx

Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:54 pm

Quoting Mozart (Thread starter):
As I haven't followed bmi's latest moves and haven't flown them since they first stopped business class on my route (CDG-LHR) and then stopped the route altogether, I am no longer up to date with their strategy, route network and service offering.

For someone who hasn't been keeping up to date, you seem rather vocal in thinking bmi should be kicked out of *A!

Quoting Mozart (Reply 28):
But UA, US and SK still have a functioning First resp. Business Class on most shorthaul flights. If one wants to pay the price, one gets that "premium" service (however crappy it may be). On BD, no such thing.

Business still exists on routes where demand remains - ie GLA, EDI, BHD, DUB, BRU and JER. Where there is no demand, there is no supply - pure economics and common sense. Or would you rather they kept a few rows spare at the front for the one or two people who may want to travel in Business during the day - reducing load factor, impacting yield and inducing costs through additional catering uploads, etc?

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 15):
Why do Star even bother keeping BD in the alliance ? BD brings no value whatsoever, and less and less with their ongoing retreat into LCC-dom

Who says they don't bring any value? And an ongoing retreat into LCC?

Longhaul - excellent new Business product and market-leading Premium Economy
Midhaul - great service in Business and Economy, best of bmi and B|MED
Shorthaul - Economy / Business & Economy depending on route; choice of snacks from the bar in Economy; most punctual airline out of LHR; well respected carrier in the UK

Re Shorthaul: bmi has done really well in the UK considering the number of airlines that are flying here domestically and it shouldn't be forgotten that it is the airline that connects the regions to LHR (not like BA). Just because bmi doesn't do a full service in Economy is not a bad thing... if travelling Economy I would rather purchase what I wanted rather than getting a cardboard mini-roll or half sandwich containing a slice of cheese, bit of lettuce and a limited choice of drink à la Lufthansa!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos