Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

smolt
Topic Author

JAL Starts First-Class Seats For Domestic Flights

Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:53 pm

Japan Airlines for the first time has furnished its domestic fleets with First-Class seats. Those are cozy leather seats.

Fleets are first thrown into services between Tokyo Haneda-Osaka Itami flights on 1st December.
Appurtenant services are as follows;

1. Veteran cabin attendants are ready to serve. When you are seated they come to greet and to keep your coat. This is to be considerate to avoid wrinkles on it.
2.No sooner than seat-belt sign off, cuisine services begin. They are dished up into well-made potteries and chinaware.
3.Cuisine is, for example, sushi-style hors d'oeuvres consisted of abalone, shellfish, cuttlefish, and sea eel cooked by a tied-up, reputation-established restaurant in Osaka and Tokyo. Menus are to modify every month.

The fare is 8000yen plus-ed to economy fare. This seat is available on 7 out of 15 flights between Tokyo-Osaka this time, and in 2009 is extended to be ready for Tokyo-Fukuoka and Tokyo-Sapporo flights.

Source; Sankei Shinbun

PlaneHunter

RE: JAL Starts First-Class Seats For Domestic Flights

Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:59 pm

Quoting SMOLT (Thread starter):
The fare is 8000yen plus-ed to economy fare.

Not too bad. But I'd only try it on the longer sectors, HND-ITM can be really short.

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

smolt
Topic Author

Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:25 pm

>PlaneHunter HND-ITM can be really short.

Yes it is as short as for 30minutes on level cruise. So curious about how things can go
when they are not blessed with ideal enroute condition from the non-involved standpoint of view.

blueflyer

Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:33 pm

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 1):

Any economy fare, or just Y ?

HOOB747

Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:59 pm

Man, an awful lot of trouble for such a short flight. Tough to justify any increased level of service when the aircraft has 30 minutes of cruise. Nothing like feeling rushed to enjoy your sushi. Wonder if the target market will support it.
I love dem planes....

Carpethead

Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:25 am

It's interesting that JL is putting the new seats on one of the shortest trunk routes. Obviously, the demand for premium seats must be there to put it ahead of HND-FUK or HND-CTS, the other two main trunk routes which have air time of around 1.25 to 1.5 hours.

Trvlr

Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:05 am

The sad thing is, that seat is probably a lot better than the J class product that is still featured on too many of JAL's long-hauls.

AA737-823

Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:25 am

Those seats are BEAUTIFUL.
Do you have a press release? I would love to print this article out and take it to work.

smolt
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:03 pm

>AA737-823 here they have official press release;

html http://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/200709/000733.html
PDF http://www.jal.com/en/press/0001114/...20Dom%20First%20Dec%201%202007.pdf

detail in Japanese
http://www.jlife.jal.co.jp/special/071005/

Considerating that the average physique differs, it may be a non Japanese passenger like a Daddy-Long-Legs or Mr. Beanpole that is most benefited by this seat.

AA737-823

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:20 am

Quoting SMOLT (Reply 8):
Considerating that the average physique differs, it may be a non Japanese passenger like a Daddy-Long-Legs or Mr. Beanpole that is most benefited by this seat.

Ohayo gozaimasu, genki desuka?
Haha, well, we ARE all different.
But those pictures look amazing- the most attractive first class I think I've ever seen.

luv2fly

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:25 am

Quoting SMOLT (Thread starter):
1. Veteran cabin attendants are ready to serve. When you are seated they come to greet and to keep your coat. This is to be considerate to avoid wrinkles on it.

Will they give it back or do the"keep" it for good?

Big grin  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin
You can cut the irony with a knife

alaskaqantas

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:28 am

Wow talk about an amazing looking short haul first class!!!!
I'd be quite happy on one of those seats... if only airlines in America made F seats like that. (not counting UA's PS serivce)
~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.
to some people the sky is the limit, to aviation enthusiasts, its home!

eghansen

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:39 am

Quoting HOOB747 (Reply 4):
Man, an awful lot of trouble for such a short flight. Tough to justify any increased level of service when the aircraft has 30 minutes of cruise. Nothing like feeling rushed to enjoy your sushi. Wonder if the target market will support it.

Quoting Carpethead (Reply 5):
It's interesting that JL is putting the new seats on one of the shortest trunk routes. Obviously, the demand for premium seats must be there to put it ahead of HND-FUK or HND-CTS, the other two main trunk routes which have air time of around 1.25 to 1.5 hours.

I read in an article in Businessweek Asia that Japanese airports require two weeks notice to land a private or corporate jet. Nearly all Japanese executives have to fly commercial because of the restrictions on corporate planes, which is why they first class is so important.
Nowadays, it is hard to tell when the commercials end and real life begins

centrair

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:19 am

Quoting Eghansen (Reply 12):
Japanese airports require two weeks notice to land a private or corporate jet.

Kind of off topic, but I wonder if NKM requires that 2 week notice. The airport is mostly for private aircraft.

JL's first looks nice. Too bad I don't fly them.
My name is Centrair but HND is closer. Let's Japanese Aviation!

kanebear

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:26 am

Any chance these'll be used for regional services as well? IMO those 'domestic' F seats beat the heck out of many carriers' J used on longhauls. I'd rather be in that than CX's regional J any day.

Also, what're the chances this is being rolled out as a differentiator to try to win back pax from rail links?

AABB777

Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:27 pm

The new domestic F class seats look extremely comfortable and luxurious. Any 'hearings' on when perhaps their international F class product will get a makeover? Love the F class, flown on it and flying on it again in a couple months, but would love to see an upgrade with that product.

eghansen

RE: JAL Starts First-Class Seats For Domestic Flig

Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:53 am

Quoting Centrair (Reply 13):
Kind of off topic, but I wonder if NKM requires that 2 week notice. The airport is mostly for private aircraft.

Don't know. The article in general was about how corporate jet usage in Asia is in its infancy compared to US and Europe. I have also read that China does not allow any corporate jets at all and will have to make special exceptions for the Olympics in Beijing.

According the the article, most Asian executives still fly commercial and don't have access to corporate jets. I think that this explains why Asian Business and First Class service is so good. It is not just full of upgrades like in the US, but people who have actually paid full fare.
Nowadays, it is hard to tell when the commercials end and real life begins