Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Rcardinale
Topic Author

Spirit's Domestic Network

Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:55 pm

Hey I was looking on Spirit's website and noticed that they fly to very little domestic locations from their FLL hub. I know that south Florida has a large market for Latin American and Carribean traffic but doesn't a "hub" also require connecting possibilites? In the future will Spirit add locations within the the US? P.S. saw their new colors in BOS last night and they look somewhat better in person.

BooDog

RE: Spirit's Domestic Network

Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:36 pm

I don't think their domestic network is high on their priority list.

It's been a long time since they've added a new domestic city.
B1B - best looking aircraft ever.

MAH4546

Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:04 pm

They fly to pretty much all the key markets. Atlanta, Atlantic City (central Jersey/Philadelphia), Boston (with a stop in Myrtle Beach), Chicago, Detroit, LaGuardia, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Myrtle Beach, Orlando, Tampa, and Washington.

These markets probably combine to represent close to 70% of all traffic between the U.S. and the Caribbean/Latin America, if not more.

The only key market to the region they are missing is Houston.
a.

nkops

Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:45 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 2):
The only key market to the region they are missing is Houston

I think you'll see a TX market in '08.... just not sure which one (not DFW again!!)

I think you'll see 1 or 2 more domestic cities in 2008, but most new cities will be Caribbean/ South and Central America
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

abrelosojos

Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:50 pm

Quoting Nkops (Reply 3):
I think you'll see a TX market in '08.... just not sure which one (not DFW again!!)

I think you'll see 1 or 2 more domestic cities in 2008, but most new cities will be Caribbean/ South and Central America

= I heard from the consulting rumor mill that NK was studying ALB and surrounding areas. Any truth do you think?

Cheers,
A.
Live, and let live.

MAH4546

Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:58 pm

Quoting Abrelosojos (Reply 4):

= I heard from the consulting rumor mill that NK was studying ALB and surrounding areas. Any truth do you think?

Albany, if I am not mistaken, is the largest domestic O&D market not served non-stop from South Florida, with over 450 daily passengers during peak periods. I have not heard of NK looking at ALB, but it would be pretty nice to see.
a.

Cubsrule

Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:00 pm

Quoting Abrelosojos (Reply 4):
Any truth do you think?

NK gets most of its customers with price. This is especially true in NYC, where there is plenty of choice to Latin America (some direct flights, copious service to ATL on DL, plenty of service to MIA on AA). It seems like if people are really price sensitive, even if they live north of NYC, they're probably already going to LGA to fly NK. So I wonder how much more traffic there is for them to pick up... I don't know.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

drerx7

Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:06 pm

Quoting Nkops (Reply 3):

I'd love to see them at Hobby - but I think they would go IAH over HOU and I think they would probably serve AUS before they served Houston.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

shadez

Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:36 pm

I've been hoping NK would consider ALB, as it makes perfect sense. Hopefully they are looking into it. I think AUS would work in TX. I think MSY would make the most sense for a new city. ISP, BDL, STL, and JAX all seem like good options domestically to me. I would say SAN, but with fuel prices the way they are, I'd doubt it,

lrdc9

Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:48 pm

What happened to the NK service to SFO? They are still listed on the SFO website.
Just say NO to scabs.

N1120A

Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:55 pm

Quoting Rcardinale (Thread starter):
Hey I was looking on Spirit's website and noticed that they fly to very little domestic locations from their FLL hub.

One of the major factors there has to be that Spirit's former fleet backbone, the MD80, just didn't have the range to do a lot of major markets out of FLL. Now, with the A320 family, they have much more flexibility and will add markets with time. Remember that Spirit is privately held and has to be much more cautious with the way they spend their money.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 5):

Albany, if I am not mistaken, is the largest domestic O&D market not served non-stop from South Florida, with over 450 daily passengers during peak periods. I have not heard of NK looking at ALB, but it would be pretty nice to see.

I would think that B6 would be a natural fit here. It would keep the New York legislators happy and allow them to increase aircraft utilization.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

abrelosojos

Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:34 pm

= Doesnt WN fly ALB-So Fl?

Quoting N1120A (Reply 10):
I would think that B6 would be a natural fit here. It would keep the New York legislators happy and allow them to increase aircraft utilization.

= Well, I know NY legislators have been very vocal in wooing B6 to ALB - but personally think that B6 arriving at SWF might have been at ALB's expense.

Cheers,
A.
Live, and let live.

N1120A

Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:41 pm

Quoting Abrelosojos (Reply 11):

= Well, I know NY legislators have been very vocal in wooing B6 to ALB - but personally think that B6 arriving at SWF might have been at ALB's expense.

Wooing isn't really the word. B6 owes the State of New York a few favors after the deal they got on start up.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

RL757PVD

Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:49 pm

Albany, if I am not mistaken, is the largest domestic O&D market not served non-stop from South Florida, with over 450 daily passengers during peak periods.

PVD does over 1,000 daily O&D so So FLA during the peak months (1,600 if you add in RSW) and apparently that wasnt enough for NK. WN doesnt seem to have a problem filling their flight from what i hear, and hopefully FL or B6 will grab some of that in 2008. NK leaving PVD is a short term loss, but a long term gain for that airport.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

abrelosojos

Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:51 pm

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 13):
NK leaving PVD is a short term loss, but a long term gain for that airport.

= Why do you feel its a long term gain for PVD to lose NK?

Cheers,
A.
Live, and let live.

RL757PVD

Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:22 am

Quoting Abrelosojos (Reply 14):

FL/B6 will eventually make their way into PVD and will provide a higher level and quality of service than NK.

PVD-FLL was near 700 O&D in Q1 2007 Not to mention that PVD has significant demographics to STI and SDQ and i know for a fact that NK had significant flow traffic from PVD through FLL to points beyond.

PVD-RSW was 600

Both FLL and RSW hit those high #'s with ZERO non-stop competition

PVD-PBI is like 300+

PVD-MIA is like 100 because there is no low fare option

NK boosted PVD to all time high seat levels and so fla O&D and then walked out the door 2 months later. My guess is NK thought they could just do it from BOS, but outside of BOS-MYR it hasnt worked out quite well for them.

kstateinALB

Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:51 am

Quoting Abrelosojos (Reply 11):
= Doesnt WN fly ALB-So Fl?

Nope, just to TPA, MCO as Florida cities.

nkops

Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:32 pm

Quoting Lrdc9 (Reply 9):
What happened to the NK service to SFO? They are still listed on the SFO website.

It's a seasonal station for us....

Quoting Drerx7 (Reply 7):
I'd love to see them at Hobby - but I think they would go IAH over HOU and I think they would probably serve AUS before they served Houston.

I was thinking possibly SAT.... but as always, it's only a rumor and anything can change.
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

MAH4546

Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:33 pm

Quoting Nkops (Reply 17):
Quoting Lrdc9 (Reply 9):

It's a seasonal station for us....

SFO has been suspended. Not coming back next summer as of now, at least not from Detroit.
a.

RJNUT

Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:45 pm

wonder if they'll fly to MILFord Sound in New Zealand?

RL757PVD

Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:21 pm

The only domestic station in the past 5 years that has hung on has been ATL

DEN - dropped
PVD - dropped
SFO - dropped
DFW - dropped
BOS - DTW gone, planned FLL n/s never started, only MYR remains
ORD - down to 2 routes from 4-5
ACY - LAS/SJU dro...... (thats how fast they were dropped!)

LAX/LAS/LGA/DCA/Florida have all been largely unchanged except for ATL and FLL routes, but there has a pretty low sucess rate when it comes to their domestic network.

They should probably just put the rest of the domestic network out of its misery and just codeshare with someone out of FLL

beefstew25

Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:30 pm

I took the morning flight FLL-LAS a couple months ago. Looks like it has been removed from the system. Any reasons why?
MLB

MAH4546

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:03 pm

Quoting Beefstew25 (Reply 21):
I took the morning flight FLL-LAS a couple months ago. Looks like it has been removed from the system. Any reasons why?

That might have been a seasonal flight. FLL-LAS has traditionally been just one daily. FLL-LAS evening/LAS-FLL redeye.
a.

B752OS

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:55 pm

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 15):
Quoting Abrelosojos (Reply 14):

FL/B6 will eventually make their way into PVD and will provide a higher level and quality of service than NK.

PVD-FLL was near 700 O&D in Q1 2007 Not to mention that PVD has significant demographics to STI and SDQ and i know for a fact that NK had significant flow traffic from PVD through FLL to points beyond.

PVD-RSW was 600

Both FLL and RSW hit those high #'s with ZERO non-stop competition

PVD-PBI is like 300+

PVD-MIA is like 100 because there is no low fare option

NK boosted PVD to all time high seat levels and so fla O&D and then walked out the door 2 months later. My guess is NK thought they could just do it from BOS, but outside of BOS-MYR it hasnt worked out quite well for them.

I agree that both FL and B6 would offer PVD much better service for PVD than NK. The problem that NK ran into with BOS is that they entered a market that is well served to RSW and FLL. Those are 2 huge O&D markets out of BOS that B6, DL and FL already serve with non-stop flights. Also, NK did not do a good marketing job and people simply did not know who NK was when you have staples like B6 and DL on the routes.

I would venture to say that aside from CUN, AUA, NAS, SJU, Latin American traffic is sent through, or at least the bulk, through MIA, ATL and SJU so NK would have had a hard time capturing those pax.

MAH4546

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:57 pm

Quoting B752OS (Reply 23):
The problem that NK ran into with BOS is that they entered a market that is well served to RSW and FLL.

They entered with flights to MYR and DTW, not RSW and FLL.

They still fly BOS-MYR and have since tagged on same-plane service to FLL. They don't fly BOS-DTW anymore.
a.

B752OS

Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:04 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 24):
Quoting B752OS (Reply 23):
The problem that NK ran into with BOS is that they entered a market that is well served to RSW and FLL.

They entered with flights to MYR and DTW, not RSW and FLL.

They still fly BOS-MYR and have since tagged on same-plane service to FLL. They don't fly BOS-DTW anymore.

I should have phrased my post differently. I know they never flew RSW or FLL, but the plan was to include those routes eventually.

MAH4546

Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:10 am

Quoting B752OS (Reply 25):
I should have phrased my post differently. I know they never flew RSW or FLL, but the plan was to include those routes eventually.

While BOS-FLL was planned, bookable, and then canceled, (probably for reasons you stated), they never planned BOS-RSW.

Still, given NK's cheap Caribbean fares, I'm surprised they can't get BOS-FLL to work on connections.
a.

Rcardinale
Topic Author

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:33 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 26):
I'm surprised they can't get BOS-FLL to work on connections

Personally I think they can in fact make that profitable. Their planned flight left BOS around 6:30 am perfect for connections out of FLL and they would have had the earliest flight to FLL. No one wants to connect in MYR to get to FLL when you have nonstops for the same prices at times. BOS i think will be gone by next summer they have only flip flopped destinations and times around and dropped flights that didn't even start what will their next move be?

JDAirCEO

Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:37 am

What is the Myrtle Beach service like now...?

I remember a couple years in a row going to the airport and there was at least two Spirit planes there. Seems they are the only carrier that made MYR work...Check Spelling
An MD-80 is great... in first class

RL757PVD

Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:51 am

Quoting Rcardinale (Reply 27):
they have only flip flopped destinations and times around and dropped flights that didn't even start what will their next move be?

Its what NK does best, and why i always give them crap in these forums....

MAH4546

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:22 am

Quoting JDAirCEO (Reply 28):
What is the Myrtle Beach service like now...?

FLL, DTW, BOS, ACY, and LGA flights.

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 29):

Its what NK does best, and why i always give them crap in these forums....

AirTran does it better.
a.

RL757PVD

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:39 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 30):

AirTran does it better.

FL at least usually keeps the city, they did have a rough phase a few years back with places like TOL, but NK has almost a 100% turnover with new domestic US cities since 2000. with FL specific routes may dissapear, but the connection is still there.

MAH4546

Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:50 am

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 31):

FL at least usually keeps the city, they did have a rough phase a few years back with places like TOL, but NK has almost a 100% turnover with new domestic US cities since 2000. with FL specific routes may dissapear, but the connection is still there.

100% turnover? I know you have an agenda against Spirit, but that's a little bit of heavy exaggeration.

Atlanta is still here. As is Las Vegas. Boston is still around, and so is San Juan.

Looking at destinations dropped since the new Spirit management took over, we only have a grand total of two dropped destinations, Dallas and Providence. San Francisco is currently suspended, and won't be resuming from Detroit next summer, but might be resuming from Fort Lauderdale. So it might be a third.

Spirit has been flip-floppy with domestic routes not involving FLL, however, that is definitely true.

[Edited 2007-12-04 21:50:40]
a.

OB1504

Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:05 am

Quoting RJNUT (Reply 19):
wonder if they'll fly to MILFord Sound in New Zealand?

Milford Township, Michigan would be better. That way, you make a reference to two of Spirit's questionably-titled sales: the MILF sale and last year's Jimmy Hoffa sale...  stirthepot 

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos