Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

eyes2thesky
Topic Author

Slideshow Of CR7 Overrun At MSN

Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:03 am

WISC TV/Channel 3000 in Madison put together a slideshow of the CRJ700 overrun on 01 Dec. 2007. Some of the pictures were taken by passengers during the evac with cell phone cameras. The evac scenes aren't ones you see everyday:

http://www.channel3000.com/slideshow...lindex.html?currentSlide=9&taf=c3k

----
AA,AL,B6,CO,C5,C8,DA,DL,FI,F9,HP,LH,MQ,NW,OO,TZ,UA,US,WN,XJ,YV,ZW,VX

PiedmontINT

RE: Slideshow Of CR7 Overrun At MSN

Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:24 am

Almost surreal seeing those kind of pictures. The CR7 sitting out in the snow and the pax deplaning in a field. And you think everyone is trying to push past you and be the first off when you are pulling up to a gate is bad?? I am sure there was a pretty mad rush to get off and doesn't look like they popped out any emergency exit windows either.

Great find.

eyes2thesky
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:50 am

Quoting PiedmontINT (Reply 1):
Almost surreal seeing those kind of pictures. The CR7 sitting out in the snow and the pax deplaning in a field.

I agree, surreal is a good way to describe it. But that woman in one of the pictures is smiling, so I'm hoping it wasn't too bad an experience for them.

Looks to me like they landed on 18 and the plane ended up in the grassy area that borders the golf course. Rwy 18-36 is long, 9006 ft. I'm surprised that wasn't sufficient to stop in.
AA,AL,B6,CO,C5,C8,DA,DL,FI,F9,HP,LH,MQ,NW,OO,TZ,UA,US,WN,XJ,YV,ZW,VX

NWAESC

Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:53 am

Braking at the time was almost nil...

By the way, that plane took 300 gallons of de-icing fluid before it left MSN (it sat at the end of the terminal through all of the day's freezing rain).......
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

EWRCabincrew

Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:02 am

Interesting perspective of the evacuation. Glad to see all went well.
You can't cure stupid

tjwgrr

Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:57 pm

Looks like the ground was frozen- no big trenches in the mud- a good thing.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

gregarious119

Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:34 pm

Yeah, looks colder than anything else.

qqflyboy

Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:57 pm

Quoting PiedmontINT (Reply 1):
I am sure there was a pretty mad rush to get off and doesn't look like they popped out any emergency exit windows either.

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 4):
Interesting perspective of the evacuation.

It doesn't appear there was an evacuation of any kind. The first pictures in the slide show are from the inside of the cabin, and you can see emergency vehicles outside. If there was an evacuation, those passengers would have been off long before the emergency vehicles arrived. My guess is the pax remained on the aircraft, where it was warm and dry, until the bus came to take them to the terminal. When the bus arrived, they exited the a/c via the plane's stairs, as they would have at a gate without a jetbridge.

It doesn't appear there was any damage to the aircraft. Evacuations are only necessary when conditions on the aircraft are life threatening. Over running a runway does not necessarily equal a life threatening condition, especially in this case.

Nonetheless, it's interesting to see photos from the scene, especially from those onboard the a/c. It is surreal to see the CR7 sitting in a snow covered field.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

auroralives

Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:21 pm

Interesting pictures.... this was almost identical to a flight / situation I was on 3 years ago (PIT - YOW). I didn't take any pictures, but here's the link to the report:

http://www.tsb.gc.ca/en/reports/air/2004/a04o0188/a04o0188.asp

Basically we didn't stop in time and overshot the runway. After the "shock" of realizing what happened, the passengers basically just got kind of board. Airport had to call a city bus to come and get us.... and it took more than an hour to show up. They turned the engines off, and we kept ourselves busy by phoning our families with embelleshed horror stories of the plane "running off the runway", and we were stranded in a field.

As we got off, there was lots of laughing and picture taking (just like the pics in the article). Made for a good story seeing ourselves in the paper the next day  Wink

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos