Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

planemaker
Topic Author

Bethune: Promotes DL & UA Merger

Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:39 am

Gordon Bethune is working for a hedge fund that is urging United Airlines and Delta Air Lines to merge. Bethune has been pitching the merger to other groups of investors....

Familiar face pushes airline merger
Hedge fund's point man tried to unite Delta, Continental

By RUSSELL GRANTHAM
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 12/02/07

Gordon Bethune has a knack for popping up in Delta Air Lines' affairs, even though he's never worked there.

Twice during his 10 years as Continental's CEO, he was involved in talks aimed at merging the two carriers. He was quick to give his views on why they didn't work out, once citing the then-Delta CEO's "stupidity" in insisting on controlling labor integration.

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/...ories/2007/12/03/bethune_1202.html

I did a search on this news item and didn't find any previous thread... though it is interesting how many threads have Bethune in the title and how many are about past merger speculations!
Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - A. Einstein

AA737-823

RE: Bethune: Promotes DL & UA Merger

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:20 am

Thanks for posting this... I'll definitely read it!

jawake

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:54 am

no surprise here. Bethune has been a big advocate of mergers. Not only does he seem to come up when Delta is involved, the same could be said about UA. He seemed to be very interested in UA future.

It does not surprise me he is involved in this speculation.

kl911

Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:10 pm

If it would happen, will they keep the UA name since it's the oldest US carrier and known all over the world?

Would really hate to see the UA brand go...  Sad

KL911

bobnwa

Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:18 pm

Quoting KL911 (Reply 3):
If it would happen, will they keep the UA name since it's the oldest US carrier and known all over the world?

I think NWA could argue that it was the oldest US airline.

davescj

Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:36 pm

I was always surprised he didn't try and get CO to buy out UA when UA was looking to sell itself. Had that happened, I would think the UA name would stay. I would think the same in UA and DL tied the knot.

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

kl911

Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:39 pm

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 4):
I think NWA could argue that it was the oldest US airline.

UA goes back to something as 1926......

rj777

Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:48 pm

What I find interesting is that both DL and UA have recently changed their livery, and what's worse, Delta has 3 liveries floating around. If they merge, how quickly would they re-paint their planes?

bobnwa

Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:04 pm

Quoting RJ777 (Reply 7):
What I find interesting is that both DL and UA have recently changed their livery, and what's worse, Delta has 3 liveries floating around. If they merge, how quickly would they re-paint their planes?

Painting a new livery would rank #14,317 in order of concerns about a merger between any two carriers.

ConcordeBoy

Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:16 pm

Quoting Planemaker (Thread starter):
Bethune: Promotes DL & UA Merger

Hmm, just like he promoted the last failed/unwanted merger attempt involving the former?

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 8):
Painting a new livery would rank #14,317 in order of concerns about a merger between any two carriers.

checkmark 
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

LAXdude1023

Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:28 pm

DL's management will never go for it the way it was. In order for the folks in ATL to go for this:

-Everything remains in Atlanta
-DL's upper management remains intact

In escence, UA would be giving themselves and the city of Chicago the shaft to agree to go along with this.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

kaitak

Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:40 pm

I have great respect for Bethune, given what he did for CO, but I wonder if he's pushing UA and DL together, to keep either of them away from CO? I still don't see UA and DL as natural allies; sure UA is big on the Pacific (not bad on Atlantic) and DL has a good Atlantic network, but in terms of fleet commonality and so many areas, they are different animals.

I do see a need for mergers; I just wouldn't start with these two ...

okie73

Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:51 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 11):
but I wonder if he's pushing UA and DL together

He is pushing for this merger because Pardus is paying him to push for this merger. It's pretty much that simple.

kl911

Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:11 pm

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 10):
DL's management will never go for it the way it was. In order for the folks in ATL to go for this:

-Everything remains in Atlanta
-DL's upper management remains intact

In escence, UA would be giving themselves and the city of Chicago the shaft to agree to go along with this.

Why? UA is really big worldwide, from Sydney , London, Sao Paolo to Kuwait. Delta is only 'big' Transatlantic. We all know international routes make money, domestic not, or at a loss.

avek00

Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:15 pm

Quoting Davescj (Reply 5):
I was always surprised he didn't try and get CO to buy out UA when UA was looking to sell itself.

It would have been nearly impossible to structure the transaction in a manner that would not require NWA's approval.
Live life to the fullest.

breaker1011

Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:29 pm

Quoting Avek00 (Reply 14):
Why? UA is really big worldwide, from Sydney , London, Sao Paolo to Kuwait. Delta is only 'big' Transatlantic. We all know international routes make money, domestic not, or at a loss.

"Only big trans-atlantic" is an understatement and it's not just Europe. With currently 4 cities, Delta will 7 cities in Africa by mid 2008 - where's UA? In the middle east, sure you have UA in Kuwait, but DL is in DXB, BOM, TVL (2x daily), and soon AMM. Isn't that a bigger presence than UA? DL dwarfs UA in Central and South America, as well as the Caribbean. They lack the presense in SE Asia and any in Sydney, you bet and UA sings praises there. But let's be fair to good ole' Delta and give them credit for the network they've built. The "world" is not just about Europe and SE Asia anymore.

Also found it interesting recently that DL surpassed UA in market cap and RPM's, though the way everyone measures/doesn't measure owned regionals makes the RPM metric a bit muddy for me...

Cheers,
Breaker
Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid. J. Wayne

ADXMatt

Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:34 pm

This has been in the news for a few weeks now.

one of the first articles stated the combined UA/DL would keep the United name and be headquarterd in Chicago.

Quoting Davescj (Reply 5):
I was always surprised he didn't try and get CO to buy out UA when UA was looking to sell itself.

It would have been nearly impossible to structure the transaction in a manner that would not require NWA's approval.

Not true. Everyone has a price and I think for NW it would be the Air Mike operation in the Pacific.

Evan767

Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:45 pm

Quoting KL911 (Reply 13):

You can't compare the two airlines by two oceans. Sheesh. Let's take a look at areas in the world:
South America: Delta's bigger.
Latin America, Mexico, AND Caribbean: Delta's bigger.
North America: U.S. and Canada: United's bigger (I think)
Africa: Delta's biggest
Europe: Delta's way bigger
Middle East: Delta's bigger
East Asia: United's bigger
Australia: United's bigger (by one or two flights...)

As you can see, no offense, but it seems you don't know what you're talking about. Delta is also big worldwide from Los Cabos to Santiago to Nairobi to Pisa to Amman...

On the merger:
Of course Bethune wants Delta. He would get to keep United's name and product and at the same time gain a vast amount of destinations and aircraft United can only dream of having. No one really knows what's going on behind the scenes, secret talks and whatnot, but it has been stated by Delta's CEO that Delta wants to "be on top".
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

777STL

Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:46 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 11):
but in terms of fleet commonality

Fleet commonality doesn't deserve nearly the significance it gets around here.
PHX based

breaker1011

Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:08 pm

If you read alot, you'll find that hedge funds like Pardus are loosing a bit of momentum, if not respect as of late, for their propositions and public pressure upon the airline industry. The faltering of US Airways stock in the past 10 months suggests that M&A isn't necessarily what it's cracked up to be for the long term, which casts more light upon the short term, selfish interests of these large and organized shareholders. The recent dump of AMR stock by the FL group, in response to AMR supposedly taking some of their heed to spin off assets like Eagle, is also extremely interesting. While I'm not savvy enough to figure out the angles of the FL Group move at the moment, will surely resonate to a degree as M&A considerations continue. There's a balance to be had in a merger between a smart financial transaction, shareholder equity, and long-term viability that I don't think anyone's found yet. But I think the offices in cities like Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston are more keenly aware of infrastructure and labor's impact on a successfull transaction than Wall Street would frankly like them to be at the moment.
Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid. J. Wayne

LAXdude1023

Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:11 pm

It doesnt have anything to do with that. It has to do with what DL's upper management will submit to. And the merger as it was laid out a couple of weeks ago would not be acceptable to DL. DL's upper management will only consider it if they all get to keep their jobs and the center of everything remains in Atlanta.

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 17):
No one really knows what's going on behind the scenes, secret talks and whatnot, but it has been stated by Delta's CEO that Delta wants to "be on top".

checkmark 

And thats what it boils down to. DL wont submit to it unless they come out ahead. Personally I could care less about either airline, but I have more faith in DL this time around. UA's been trying to whore themselves off for a while now, and DL seems more patient.

avek00

Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:18 pm

Quoting ADXMatt (Reply 16):
Not true. Everyone has a price and I think for NW it would be the Air Mike operation in the Pacific.

Read what I wrote carefully -- I spoke of the difficulties in crafting a merger arrangement with CO that *doesn't* require NWA approval, not about what NWA may extract from CO to give its blessing. Related but separate topics.

davescj

Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:23 pm

I thought the deal was CO couldn't sell itself w/o NW approval. DId I not understand correctly? Basically, I thought, therefore, CO could buy out UA (or would that require all cash and no stock swap w/o NW approval)?

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

NW748i

Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:24 pm

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 10):

And that would be too bad. Atlanta has a world class airport, but of the two, Chicago is the world class city all around. However, that doesn't mean that it requires an airline HQ'ed there.

it has been stated by Delta's CEO that Delta wants to "be on top".

1. Operative word: "wants"
2. Delta's CEO (and entire management) can be replaced by the shareholders to get this moving. I noted that Trent Lott, a defender of DL during the US bid, is stepping down and will likely be replaced by Kay Bailey Hutchison. She's pro-merger (historically), which the big carriers will like, but is not in favor of the user fees for the Reauthorization that they are hoping for. I get the sense that this will require some give-and-take on issues facing the industry.
Hail! to the victors valiant, Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes, Hail! Hail! to Michigan the leaders and best! Go Blue!

jetjack74

Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:44 pm

Quoting KL911 (Reply 6):

But not under the United name. United was a Boeing company called Boeing Air Transport until 1950 or something. Northwest was founded in 1916 and was already flying passengers by the Boeing Air Transport came to be. We flew under the name, Northwest Airways. We were even older than Eastern

Quoting Davescj (Reply 22):
I thought the deal was CO couldn't sell itself w/o NW approval. DId I not understand correctly? Basically, I thought, therefore, CO could buy out UA (or would that require all cash and no stock swap w/o NW approval)?

Yes, called the goldenshares
Made from jets!

Viscount724

Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:58 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 24):
Quoting KL911 (Reply 6):

But not under the United name. United was a Boeing company called Boeing Air Transport until 1950 or something.

Make that 1934 when Boeing divested it's airline operation (which changed it's name to United) and engine manufacturing activities (Pratt & Whitney).

777fan

Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:14 pm

Quoting KL911 (Reply 6):

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 25):
Make that 1934 when Boeing divested it's airline operation (which changed it's name to United) and engine manufacturing activities (Pratt & Whitney).

I believe the original carrier was called "Varney Airlines"...

UA apparently thinks the same way - check out this article from today's Chicago Tribune in which their CFO acknowledges that they're still interested in merging, have no interest in domestic growth and instead want to expand even more internationally (15%). There's also a subtle hint at the worst kept secret at UA (they'll need to look at new aircraft to accomodate int'l travel):

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...-071204united-plan,0,3844763.story

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

ConcordeBoy

Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:17 pm

Quoting Breaker1011 (Reply 15):
Also found it interesting recently that DL surpassed UA in market cap and RPM's

Measured how exactly?

North America: U.S. and Canada: United's bigger (I think)

DL's domestic patronage is behind on WN and AA.

planemaker
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:23 pm

Quoting 777fan (Reply 26):
UA apparently thinks the same way - check out this article from today's Chicago Tribune in which their CFO acknowledges that they're still interested in merging, have no interest in domestic growth and instead want to expand even more internationally (15%). There's also a subtle hint at the worst kept secret at UA (they'll need to look at new aircraft to accomodate int'l travel

We will probably hear more about mergers and consolidations tomorrow in the press after today's securities conference in New York City. Executives from Delta Air Lines, United Airlines, Northwest Airlines and US Airways are among those scheduled to speak...

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...OWJONESDJONLINE000789_FORTUNE5.htm
Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - A. Einstein

727forever

Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:34 pm

Quoting Okie73 (Reply 12):
He is pushing for this merger because Pardus is paying him to push for this merger. It's pretty much that simple.

checkmark 
727forever

gsosbee

Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:44 pm

Quoting Okie73 (Reply 12):

Correct

But United's management has proven they know very little about managing an international airline.

avek00

Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:51 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 24):
Quoting Davescj (Reply 22):

Yes, called the goldenshares

The golden share power vested in the stock held by NWA applies to virtually all CO change of control situations. Even if CO bought UA in an all-cash arrangement, NWA could likely persuade a judge to rule that CO experienced a change of control if for example, UA's managers and BOD members dominated the combined company, and the merged company decided to conduct future business under the United name.

platinumfoota

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:08 pm

When Delta reacted to the Continental-Northwest link by seeking a similar alliance with United, Bethune quipped, "That's why ugly people always marry each other. ... There's no one left to talk to."
"It's like when you go to a dance and pick the prettiest girl and all the other guys get the leftovers," he said. "Why wouldn't you want to pick first?"

rotfl   rotfl  This guy is great lol
Never forget United 93

deltal1011man

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:43 pm

Quoting KL911 (Reply 3):

try again.......NW is 1926(?) and Delta is 1928 (but was started in 1924) so DELTA is older than UA sorry!

Bethune is full of s**t if he really believes this crap........he has said before(and i quote many people on here who have said this) the best mergers would be UA/CO and DL/NW...he is getting paid for this but i have to say i don't care for ANYONE who tried to put people in Atlanta Georgia and many family and friends out on the street....even if that person "is the best airline CEO ever".................i just miss Jerry and wish he would come back........good luck Delta

Airspeed777

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:50 pm

Gordon Bethune reminds me of guy from DFW that every original Braniff Pilot would love to spend a few minutes in dark alley with. I can recall back then, that same guy from DFW conspired with others to run Braniff into the ground, and sure enough Braniff vanishes in thin air, and never to make a successful come back. Delta airlines just re-emerge from BK and the prognosis for that carrier looks very promising. It baffles me as to why any one in their right mind at Delta would, would even consider sitting down and listen to this snake oil sales man new scam that will most likely cost Delta's employee group thousands of jobs?

murrayusa

Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:14 am

I personally have alot of repect for Bethune and that is why these investors brought him in because he has ethos. They will need him to convince all parties involved. Additionally a bigger reason why brought him to the table: they do not want to see United and Continental to merge. I do not work in the industry but know many people with Continental. I personally believe that a United Continental merger will happen. My prediction is that Continental management takes over United and uses the United name. Let the flaming begin Smile

brilondon

Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:19 am

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 4):
I think NWA could argue that it was the oldest US airline

Not really. It was created out of mergers between North Central, Southern Airlines, and Northwest Orient Airlines as the principal airlines involved back in the late seventies.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

rwsea

Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:36 am

it has been stated by Delta's CEO that Delta wants to "be on top".

Well that isn't the choice of DL's management, that's not the way a corporation works. But you raise an interesting issue. If you look at an ORD vs. ATL comparison, ORD would come out on top in any situation as a potential headquarters. ORD is the much more important city in the domestic/international business arena. It's a major tourist center (ATL definitely is not) and a much larger metro area. As an airline wanting to serve the globe and have a big presence in the international centers of commerce, an ORD headquarters seems more appropriate than ATL.

UA also has a stronger brand in said important-business markets, and has more history. If you would ask people which is more of a "flag carrier" in their mind, UA or AA will beat DL everyime in the arena of public perception. When a plane that says "UNITED" on it touches down in LOS or SIN or SVO, its obviously a symbol of the USA - Delta is more ambiguous.

With that in mind, I still think this merger makes sense in that it gives DL what it needs (a bigger presence in important business markets like ORD, SFO, LAX, LHR, NRT, HKG, SYD, and FRA) as well as giving UA what they need (a stronger Latin America network, better NYC coverage, more depth in Europe).

Quoting Gsosbee (Reply 30):
But United's management has proven they know very little about managing an international airline.

They've gone from a messy extended bankruptcy to making a profit, so I think they've done alright for themselves.

avek00

Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:50 am

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 37):
They've gone from a messy extended bankruptcy to making a profit, so I think they've done alright for themselves.

Not so much. They make profits primarily due to transient post-bankruptcy cost savings. The CEO of the airline is peddling merger ideas like crazy b/c United is toast in a few years absent a drastic change of course.

LAXdude1023

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:17 am

Quoting DeltaL1011man (Reply 33):
i just miss Jerry and wish he would come back

He was the better man for the job.

he is getting paid for this

No doubt.

i don't care for ANYONE who tried to put people in Atlanta Georgia and many family and friends out on the street....

Neither Delta or Atlanta are anything special. Its a tragedy when people are the victims of mergers anywhere.

Needless to say I think this is a bad Idea. But Gordo can blow his horn all he wants, it doesnt mean its going to happen.
I just cant see this working out. DL's management team wont submit to it.

deltal1011man

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:58 am

Quoting Brilondon (Reply 36):
Not really. It was created out of mergers between North Central, Southern Airlines, and Northwest Orient Airlines as the principal airlines involved back in the late seventies.

wait hold Northwest was the name the Orient was just markiting

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 39):
Neither Delta or Atlanta are anything special. Its a tragedy when people are the victims of mergers anywhere.

Needless to say I think this is a bad Idea. But Gordo can blow his horn all he wants, it doesnt mean its going to happen.
I just cant see this working out. DL's management team wont submit to it.

it is to me beacuse A) have alot of family and friends that work for Delta B) Delta is the ONLY airline i will fly and C) im from Fayetteville GA (about 15 south of the airport) so all i know is Delta(not argueeing with you just telling why i don't want this to happen)

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 39):
He was the better man for the job.

and i miss him very very much

Quoting Avek00 (Reply 38):
Not so much. They make profits primarily due to transient post-bankruptcy cost savings. The CEO of the airline is peddling merger ideas like crazy b/c United is toast in a few years absent a drastic change of course.

which i why i i don't want Delta to end up with them

caljn

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:24 am

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 8):

Hilarious...

caljn

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:28 am

Quoting 777STL (Reply 18):
Fleet commonality doesn't deserve nearly the significance it gets around here.

Bravo! I get so tired of hearing about Airbus' "brilliant" commonality. What a hill of beans!

ConcordeBoy

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:38 am

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 37):
If you would ask people which is more of a "flag carrier" in their mind, UA or AA will beat DL everyime in the arena of public perception. When a plane that says "UNITED" on it touches down in LOS or SIN or SVO, its obviously a symbol of the USA - Delta is more ambiguous.

hehehehe... so funny when you (yet again) attempt to pass off unsubstantiated subjectivity as if it were some manner/matter of fact.  Smile

Boeing7E7

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:40 am

Quoting KL911 (Reply 6):

Northwest dates back to 1916.

Quoting KL911 (Reply 3):

DL dates back to 1924. UA was 1926.

[Edited 2007-12-04 18:43:53]

rwsea

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:51 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 43):
hehehehe... so funny when you (yet again) attempt to pass off unsubstantiated subjectivity as if it were some manner/matter of fact.

Last time I checked this board was for opinions as well as fact. What value does your post add, other than to your bias in favor of DL above all else?

KingAir200

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:56 am

I think they can. NWA was founded as Northwest Airways in 1926. Later on, they added Orient to the name to emphasize the airline's prowess in the Pacific. However, Northwest Airways/Airlines remained the legal name of the company. North Central began as Wisconsin Central Airlines and later changed its name to North Central Airlines. Southern Airways and North Central merged in the 70s to become Republic Airlines. Later in the 70s, Republic acquired Hughes Airwest, which began as Air West, itself originating from a merger of Bonanza, West Coast, and Pacific. In 1986, Northwest acquired Republic. Of course NWA gained a larger domestic network and many airplanes from the merger, but it was not the merger that created the airline.

gsosbee

Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:15 am

Quoting Murrayusa (Reply 35):
My prediction is that Continental management takes over United and uses the United name.

UA's management will not survive any combination. Tilton has had enough.

LAXdude1023

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:10 am

Quoting DeltaL1011man (Reply 40):
it is to me beacuse A) have alot of family and friends that work for Delta B) Delta is the ONLY airline i will fly and C) im from Fayetteville GA (about 15 south of the airport) so all i know is Delta(not argueeing with you just telling why i don't want this to happen)

I feel you bro. I wouldnt fly anybody else if I lived in Georgia. Living in LA my whole life, Ive had too many options.

Quoting DeltaL1011man (Reply 40):
which i why i i don't want Delta to end up with them

I dont think you have anything to worry about.  Smile

I cant concieve of this happening.

ConcordeBoy

Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:23 am

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 45):
What value does your post add

...to serve as an admonition to anyone who might otherwise be fooled into taking that drivel seriously  Wink

Quoting KingAir200 (Reply 46):
However, Northwest Airways remained the legal name of the company

checkmark 

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos