sandrozrh
Topic Author

Swiss To Become Swissair Again?

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:23 pm

Hi all

I read in another Forum that just recently, LX applied for the copyrights for the trademarked Swissair brand. A quick search in Switzerland's trademark, patent and designs register database revealed the following:

Quote:
Trademark
SWISSAIR

Status
Pending application

Nice classification no.
1 - 4, 6 - 10, 12, 14, 16 - 18, 20 - 22, 24 - 25, 27 - 29, 32 - 45

Number
53590/2007

Owner
Swiss International Air Lines AG, Malzgasse 15, 4052 Basel

https://www.swissreg.ch/srclient/faces/jsp/start.jsp

The application seems to be pending and awaits approval, even though it names LX as the owner, but it might be the case that a applicant for a "dead" trademark is listed as the owner until the application is accepted or rejected, I don't quite know what to make of it, but what i do now is that LX is currently not the legal owner of the Swissair brand, or at least hasn't been after Swissair collapsed, and when LH took over.

Could we see a brand change back to Swissair? I personally can't see it happen and don't know why they'd do that, now that SWISS has become a more or less well-recognised brand worldwide, even though, years after it's demise, Swissair is still well known across the globe, and a lot of people still think that LX = SR. But then again, why would they apply in the first place?

It's a long shot, but who knows?

Commens, thoughts?

-edit to add link

[Edited 2007-12-04 15:25:53]

aamd11

RE: Swiss To Become Swissair Again?

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:27 pm

It's more likely that they just want to stop anyone else starting up a carrier with the (in)famous Swissair brand.  Smile

LTU932

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:38 pm

I believe there were plans from LH to acquire the Swissair brand, but I don't know if that was just a rumour, or if it will be possible at all to re-brand LX into SR given the legal implications that come from the bankruptcy. Anyway, I agree. LX has become a well established brand, and it would be best if the brand is kept as it is. Even with LH's ownership, this isn't Lufthansa SWISS made.  Wink

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

bennett123

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:44 pm

Given that Swissair had many creditors when it folded, would re adopting the name give them scope to claim from the new company?.

sandrozrh
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:54 pm

Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 3):
Given that Swissair had many creditors when it folded, would re adopting the name give them scope to claim from the new company?.

That certainly would have been possible after SR collapsed, but we have something called "Verjaehrung" in our legal system, which basically means that after a certain amount of time after a crime, legal claims cannot be filed anymore (does anybody have a better explanation, please?).

I don't know what the situation is in this case, though. Anyone with more knowledge care to explain?

[Edited 2007-12-04 15:56:24]

eghansen

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:01 am

Quoting SandroZRH (Thread starter):
Could we see a brand change back to Swissair? I personally can't see it happen and don't know why they'd do that, now that SWISS has become a more or less well-recognised brand worldwide, even though, years after it's demise, Swissair is still well known across the globe, and a lot of people still think that LX = SR. But then again, why would they apply in the first place?

I have always called it Swissair, even after the name change. Force of habit.
Nowadays, it is hard to tell when the commercials end and real life begins

FreequentFlier

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:07 am

Is LH ever planning on fully merging Swiss into their operations or will it always retain the Swiss name and be run as a unique entity within LH?

OA260

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:11 am

Quoting FreequentFlier (Reply 6):
Is LH ever planning on fully merging Swiss into their operations or will it always retain the Swiss name and be run as a unique entity within LH?

I certainly hope that Swiss will always maintain its own personal brand. Any integration into LH would be to ruin a quality brand far higher than LH !!!

sandrozrh
Topic Author

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:19 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 7):
Any integration into LH would be to ruin a quality brand

Exactly, and LH was smart enough to realize that. Aslong as LX is earning millions of € as they're doing now, LH won't change anything, they even stated that LH itself heavily benefited of the synergies between LX and LH.

Putnik

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:23 am

Quoting AAmd11 (Reply 1):
the (in)famous Swissair brand.

Why would you call it infamous? C'mon, Swissair was a benchmark.

I have been wondering about this issue as well. I miss Swissair brand a lot. Can't explain why exactly but I do. I'm not Swiss and I wasn't directly affected by the collapse of Swissair, so perhaps the disappearance of the brand had a more emotional meaning for me. In my opinion Swissair brand had a cache not many airlines had. It had an advantage of not being too big and it was prestigious in a way. The fares were reasonable, they flew everywhere and the service was impeccable. Swissair was a legendary airline and SWISS (! -- I just don't get that spelling thing) unfortunately is not.

SWISS is just yet another professionally run airline which happens to have a white cross on its tail. I'm not saying that is wrong. It may be an exceptional airline but it just doesn't convey a "romance" of flying.

Does this make any sense to you?
"Not my circus, not my monkeys."

N1120A

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:33 am

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 4):
but we have something called "Verjaehrung" in our legal system, which basically means that after a certain amount of time after a crime, legal claims cannot be filed anymore (does anybody have a better explanation, please?).

That is called the Statute of Limitations in the US, though going into liquidation isn't exactly a crime. The SOL, however, does apply to civil issues as well.

Quoting Putnik (Reply 9):
SWISS (! -- I just don't get that spelling thing)

It's a French thing
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

EI321

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:34 am

Surely some of their 767s will be very old by then.

FreequentFlier

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:42 am

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 8):
Exactly, and LH was smart enough to realize that. Aslong as LX is earning millions of € as they're doing now, LH won't change anything, they even stated that LH itself heavily benefited of the synergies between LX and LH.

Agreed, the LX brand is still very valuable. This is just a very interesting discussion in light on LH's strong big for AZ now. They keep scooping up airlines but not merging them fully into their operations. Oneworld was hurt quite a bit by losing LX, I'd imagine SkyTeam would be hurt quite a bit by losing AZ to LH and *Alliance now.

PM

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:15 am

Quoting EI321 (Reply 11):
Surely some of their 767s will be very old by then.

Are you in the right thread?  Confused

AJMIA

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:18 am

Quoting Eghansen (Reply 5):
I have always called it Swissair, even after the name change. Force of habit.

Me too. I like Swissair better than Swiss anyway.

I also still say USAir.

And I will probably never stop saying Biwi either...

I wonder why these marketing people are always throwing away classic names that people love.

AJMIA
Lady it's a jet... not a kite.

sparkingwave

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:23 am

Swissair gets my vote!
Flights to the moon and all major space stations. At Pan Am, the sky is no longer the limit!

Viscount724

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:28 am

Quoting FreequentFlier (Reply 12):
Oneworld was hurt quite a bit by losing LX,

Assume you mean losing them as a potential member. LX was never a member of Oneworld but codeshared with several Oneworld carriers.

LTU932

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:36 am

Quoting AJMIA (Reply 14):
I wonder why these marketing people are always throwing away classic names that people love.

In the case of SR, they had to get rid of the name and rebrand when the original LX, aka Crossair, was converted to SR's successor because of legal issues. The same with Sabena and when Delta Air Transport was converted into SN's successor, aka SN Brussels or now just Brussels Airlines (though they did keep Sabena's IATA code, unlike their Swiss counterparts), and SN went bust way before SR did.

Maybe such things are easier to do in the United States, as the attempts of resurrecting BN and PA have shown in the past, but in Europe, it may not be that easy.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

SwissA330

Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:02 am

First of all: I think LX/LH bought the name to prevent anyone else from buying it. That's all thats behind this. For example: Swissair.com has belonged to LX ever since SR went bankrupt, it's just about protecting their Name - as far as i know...
(maybe they'll buy www.swissair.aero as well?  Smile )

Now about the 'speculations':
I am unsure whether I would even want to see SWISS renamed to Swissair. The current Swiss is not what Swissair used to be. Although many of us like to see it as the same airline, it is not. It is in fact, a part of LH.
(Which btw would therefore release them of any obligations, since they are NOT the same company, they just bought the name, so no one could sue them for SR debts, verjaehrung hin oder her... (sorry, no english here  Smile )
On the other hand, i would of course love to see Swissair back flying, but it would just be the new Swissair, just like PanAm never was PanAm anymore...

On a worldwide basis however, I think no one (not even all A.nutters) really noticed... Swiss is Swissair is Swiss Air is Swiss Air Lines etc etc. (except for Portugal, where they kept calling it Air Luxor, due to the LX  Silly )

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 17):
(though they did keep Sabena's IATA code, unlike their Swiss counterparts)

Swiss still has the ICAO SWR designator, which imho in the long run will prevail over the IATA codes. I expect more and more airports to change over to the 3-Letter Abbrevs, hence LX will one day be history...

BR, Pat
swissair/+/ we care

Mir

Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:22 am

Why would you call it infamous? C'mon, Swissair was a benchmark.

Indeed it was. But it was also the poster child for airline collapses.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ZRH

Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:50 am

Quoting FreequentFlier (Reply 6):

Actually Swiss is already fully merged into their operations. LX belongs 100% to LH and they coordinate fully their flights and other operations. LH runs Swiss as a own company and brand and for sure will keep this. As AF does with KL.

As I know the bankrupt's assets owned the brand "Swissair". The lawyer who deals with it (Karl Wuethrich) wanted to sell it to get some money for the claimants. I don't know the actual situation, if now Swiss is ready to pay for the brand.

CV990

Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:30 pm

Hi!

Quoting SwissA330 (Reply 18):
On the other hand, i would of course love to see Swissair back flying, but it would just be the new Swissair, just like PanAm never was PanAm anymore...

I fully agree with that!!!

On a worldwide basis however, I think no one (not even all A.nutters) really noticed... Swiss is Swissair is Swiss Air is Swiss Air Lines etc etc. (except for Portugal, where they kept calling it Air Luxor, due to the LX Silly )

We'll that was in the past...then they changed to HI FLY but....they've been flying really low lately!

Just finalize, Swissair was a chapter in swiss aviation that passed, I have very found memories of that great airline, the first one I've ever flew and the airline I've flew most after TP! Now we have SWISS, well I still look to them having the true swiss spirit, simple logo, simple airplanes but one thing I guarantee you....everywhere in the world ( and I mean it!!! ) when you see a SWISS airplane landing people will imediately connect with - Alps, snow, chocolates, Victorinox, fondue, cheese, etc. etc. So for me this is the new chapter!
Regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

USADreamliner

Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:53 pm

now that SWISS has become a more or less well-recognised brand worldwide

Alot of people still call it Swissair. Even after the demise of SR, the name is still a synonymous of quality and high standards.

swissy

Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:42 pm

First of all: I think LX/LH bought the name to prevent anyone else from buying it. That's all thats behind this. For example: Swissair.com has belonged to LX ever since SR went bankrupt, it's just about protecting their Name - as far as i know...

That was my understanding too

Quoting ZRH" class=quote target=_blank>ZRH (Reply 20):
As I know the bankrupt's assets owned the brand "Swissair". The lawyer who deals with it (Karl Wuethrich) wanted to sell it to get some money for the claimants. I don't know the actual situation, if now Swiss is ready to pay for the brand.

Would make sense since the "good old SR" left a big gaping hole...... so every penny (Rappen) counts

Quoting CV990 (Reply 21):
Just finalize, Swissair was a chapter in swiss aviation that passed, I have very found memories of that great airline, the first one I've ever flew and the airline I've flew most after TP! Now we have SWISS, well I still look to them having the true swiss spirit, simple logo, simple airplanes but one thing I guarantee you....everywhere in the world ( and I mean it!!! ) when you see a SWISS airplane landing people will imediately connect with - Alps, snow, chocolates, Victorinox, fondue, cheese, etc. etc. So for me this is the new chapter!

Could not agree more with you CV990, we (wife & me) always have a big smile in our face when we take LX from YUL to ZRH and take the "hudigaegeler train" from the E dock to the main terminal, have not seen to many people who called Swiss Swiss the majority calls them still Swissair........ SR/LX will always be recognized "as the same" therefore it makes sense for LX/LH to acquire the brand "Swissair" and move on to new hights............

Cheers,

CV990

Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:59 pm

Hi!

[quote=Swissy,reply=23]Could not agree more with you CV990, we (wife & me) always have a big smile in our face when we take LX from YUL to ZRH and take the "hudigaegeler train" from the E dock to the main terminal, have not seen to many people who called Swiss Swiss the majority calls them still Swissair........ SR/LX will always be recognized "as the same" therefore it makes sense for LX/LH to acquire the brand "Swissair" and move on to new hights............

Cheers,

Good point indeed Swissy! Now let me tell you my experience with SWISS back to December 2003 at LAX, I was waiting to board LX41 to ZRH and suddenly between all those AA, UA, DL, CO, US, QF etc. etc. I see that SWISS tail moving around Tom Bradley Terminal and people waiting for other flights just looking to that "swiss flag moving" could not be indifferent!!!
Regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

JMULAH

Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:39 pm

So if Swiss Intl. intends to change to Swissair, would we see a change on their livery? I must say, i LX livery better than the old SR.
Any comments would be appreciate it
Thank you

PA110

Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:04 am

SWISS has become a more or less well-recognised brand worldwide,

Careful there. SWISS may be a well run company, but the brand doesn't fly to as many cities as once served by Swissair. Despite its ignominious demise, the Swissair brand was well respected and synonymous with outstanding passenger service. I don't believe SWISS has yet risen to those heights to nearly the same extent.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.

sandrozrh
Topic Author

Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:20 am

Quoting PA110 (Reply 26):
I don't believe SWISS has yet risen to those heights to nearly the same extent.

They certainly haven't, but that doesn't mean that they're not a well established brand in the markets they serve, they certainly are.

Putnik

Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:08 am

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 27):

They certainly haven't, but that doesn't mean that they're not a well established brand in the markets they serve, they certainly are.

Well, I don't really feel a well established brand is an adequate term here. Switzerland is a well know country with highly recognizable symbols, all of which are used by SWISS. They are just a Swiss airline, i.e an airline coming from Switzerland. The aura of a premium brand is just not there (yet?). I remember more than one occasion when people I know would alter their travel plans for a day or two in order to fly Swissair and not LH or AF. And now? It's all the same, connecting in Munich or Frankfurt on LH, in Vienna on OS or in Zurich on LXSad
"Not my circus, not my monkeys."

Viscount724

Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:39 am

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 27):

And outside Switzerland, especially outside Europe, I expect most people still think of LX as being Swissair.

sandrozrh
Topic Author

Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:12 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 35):
I expect most people still think of LX as being Swissair.

yes  That's true, and somewhat seems to be in LX's advantage. I've recently come across gate agents who still announced "Swissair flight XXX is now boarding..."  Wink

a300

Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:06 am

Anyone knows why LX is not serving IKA (THR until recently)? SR had served THR (BND during the Iran-Iraq War) for decades. They could feed their ZRH-IKA using their LAX-ZRH flights.
Boland Aseman Jayegah Man Ast.

ZRH

Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:53 pm

Quoting A300 (Reply 37):
Anyone knows why LX is not serving IKA (THR until recently)? SR had served THR (BND during the Iran-Iraq War) for decades.

I can not imagine that there is enough traffic for THR. Who wants to go to such a country besides oil business probably.

hugo

Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:10 pm

Quoting CV990 (Reply 34):

Quoting CV990 (Reply 34):
Well in my point of view if you see an airplane with a swiss flag in the tail and saying "SWISS" in the fuselage there's NO WAY you will not understand that this is an airline from Switzerland!!! I actually think that the color of the SWISS flag represents much more the truly colors of Switzerland than Swissair ones!!! And about "Swiss chocolate, Swiss watch, Swiss time" well, for me "Swiss chocolate" will always be Toblerone....Swiss watch will always be Swatch... Swiss time? Well Swiss time is the fact that you should be on time!!! And just to add that "Swiss knife" will always be Victorinox!!!
Regards

Hi, If one is at the airport looking at a plane with Swiss titles, then yes, it is obviously an airline from Switzerland. But if on is referring to tha airline without any visual cues, then it becomes a bit trickier... "Please go to the Swiss counter now", "Swiss has increased their prices..." as opposed to " Swissair has increased their prices".

BTW, I like all those SWISS brands mentioned.

sandrozrh
Topic Author

Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:44 pm

Quoting Hugo (Reply 39):

Just hang on the Air Lines, problem solved  Wink People tend to forget that the official name of the airline isn't merely Swiss, but Swiss Intl. Air Lines.

LTU932

Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:24 pm

Quoting A300 (Reply 37):
Anyone knows why LX is not serving IKA (THR until recently)?

IKA (Imam Khomeini Airport) is more of a domestic airport. If LX was to serve Tehran, it would be to THR (Mehrabad Airport).

SRforever

Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:02 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 19):
I expect more and more airports to change over to the 3-Letter Abbrevs, hence LX will one day be history...

What makes you think that?

a300

Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:18 pm

Quoting ZRH (Reply 38):
I can not imagine that there is enough traffic for THR. Who wants to go to such a country besides oil business probably.

"Such a country" is my home, the most populous country in the Persian Gulf region and with a history going back 3000 years (at least). Lot's of people visit Iran (not enough perhaps). Multiple European airlines serve IKA (e.g. AF, AZ, BD, KL, LH, OS, SU). Several use widebodies on their IKA routes (AF, KL, LH).

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 41):
IKA (Imam Khomeini Airport) is more of a domestic airport. If LX was to serve Tehran, it would be to THR (Mehrabad Airport).

Obviously you have not been to those two airports. IKA is the new International gateway to Province of Tehran (>12 million inhabitants). It does not have a single domestic flight. THR is now mostly domestic and by shear volume will remain the largest airport in Iran.

My point was that SR had a strong relationship with Iran. IKA receives many Star Alliance flights. LH has a daily flight to FRA (A340), OS thrice weekly to VIE (A320), TK ten times weekly to IST (B737-800). LH also had a daily service to MUC (from THR) a few months back and SK had summer charters. LX could easily piggy back on the extensive infrastructure LH has in Tehran. OS does.
Boland Aseman Jayegah Man Ast.

sandrozrh
Topic Author

Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:41 pm

Quoting A300 (Reply 43):

LX does not have the needed longhaul equipment in order to start up any more destinations. Their longhaul capacity is limited and they obviously think that they can make more money by deploying that capacity elsewhere. I don't see them return to Teheran. Would be interesting to find out how well of a performer Teheran was for SR. I bet HB-IWC can give us a hand here.

YULWinterSkies

Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:08 pm

SWISS is just yet another professionally run airline which happens to have a white cross on its tail. I'm not saying that is wrong. It may be an exceptional airline but it just doesn't convey a "romance" of flying.

Yet it is still a lot above average of European long-haul carriers. Or shouldn't you mean it is finally a professionally run airline?!?!?!?!
When I doubt... go running!

LTU932

Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:44 pm

Quoting A300 (Reply 43):
Obviously you have not been to those two airports. IKA is the new International gateway to Province of Tehran (>12 million inhabitants). It does not have a single domestic flight. THR is now mostly domestic and by shear volume will remain the largest airport in Iran.

Curious, then when has this change occured? AFAIK, things havent't developed the way they were supposed to, which was why THR remained the main airport and ops were not changed to IKA. One reason from what I've heard is IKA's location, which is further away from Tehran than THR in Mehrabad.

SwissA330

Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:41 pm

Quoting SRforever (Reply 42):
Quoting Mir (Reply 19):
I expect more and more airports to change over to the 3-Letter Abbrevs, hence LX will one day be history...

What makes you think that?

Well, because many airports already use 3-Letter (ICAO) designators, and also, because the 2-Letter Codes are just about used up... After all there only can be 36x36 (1296) 2-Letter codes, and most just have no resemblance to the Airline Name anymore anyway. Not saying it will happen soon, but i'm sure in the long run it'll prevail.
Also, IATA is -imho- no longer as important as they used to be for the whole commercial Aviation, whilst ICAO remains the regulating authority.

my 2 cents..
swissair/+/ we care

N1120A

Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:48 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 41):

Other way around.

jetdeltamsy

Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:16 am

Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 3):
would re adopting the name give them scope to claim from the new company?.

No. None at all. They are two separate entities. The original Swissair is liable for its debts, not any reincarnation.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

N1120A

Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:05 am

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 49):

No. None at all. They are two separate entities. The original Swissair is liable for its debts, not any reincarnation.

Yes and no. Swissair and its parent SAirGroup owed a lot of money in a lot of places when the carrier went into liquidation and some of the places they flew were chomping at the bit to impound an MD-11 or A330. Because of the loose application of some of the laws in these countries, they couldn't take a chance of the new airline, despite actually emerging from Crossair, having the same name and this being used as a way of attaching assets. Now, it wouldn't be an issue.

Viscount724

Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:33 am

Quoting SwissA330 (Reply 47):
Also, IATA is -imho- no longer as important as they used to be for the whole commercial Aviation, whilst ICAO remains the regulating authority.

ICAO is a United Nations agency, and like most UN agencies, finds it very difficult for their member countries to agree on anything. IATA is a trade association of international airlines and virtually every significant international airline is a member.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos