BWIA 772
Topic Author

Caribbean/Caribe/Caraibes Aviation Part 24

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:32 am

Hello all

This most likely will be the last post of the year 2007. It has been an interesting year in Caribbean Aviation. JM and BW said goodbye to LHR once seen as the crown jewel in their some what battered crowns. I would like to welcome FWI747 to our forum and thank him for telling us about the ops of Air Caraibes. I expect this one to be a bit slow as some of our posters still have finals!! I am off but I do not know how many other of you are off so those of us who are on vacation please post so this doesnt die!! BTW feel free to post your predictions for 2008 and why you think you are right.

Ok its time to start looking at having some sort of meet, lets start trashing out idea!!

News

• Jamaican Government is looking to divest all of the shares in JM by 2009 link1 , link2
  • LI set to have horrible Christmas given delays in delivery of aircraft, see link1& link 2

• Caribbean Airlines rumored to be looking at leasing 752 for Christmas rush! A bit late to be looking if you ask me maybe they should have kept 9Y GND after all Big grin
  • Semi meet planed for NY this X-mas

http://i5.tinypic.com/2na36gz.gif
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1318/687116044_d1ec3c3485_o.jpg

Happy Holidays Guys

Guess which one is on my tree  rotfl 
Ok guys lets get part 24 rolling!!

PS MD90 fan your break is over from 2008 its back to you for starting these things!

Regards
BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

aa1818

RE: Caribbean/Caribe/Caraibes Aviation Part 24

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:46 am

Thanks for getting this up and running BWIA772.

I was looking at flights to TAB today from POS and it's nice to see Caribbean Airlines allowing booking online for all the Tobago flights etc, Very efficient compared to the old TB!!

Still no photos of the Dash8 in the full CALx livery. Still just the hybrids!!

Also- POS Gov't has stated intentions to start a regional fast ferry service by the start of 2009 from POS to GND, SVD, UVF and "even BGI".
Should give LI a run for their money!

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

BWIA 772
Topic Author

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:26 am

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 1):

If the answer to the below questions is YES

• Does CAL still plan to fly regional routes with their dash 8s?
  • If CAL flies to the same destination as the fast ferry would that not make the latter CAL's competitors?

Then would it be correct to assume: That the government of Trinidad and Tobago is not interested in CAL getting on its feet i.e making profits and the subsequent privatization ASAP!.

If the above assumption is wrong only question one can ask is

Why would the GOTT invest against itself?
Eagles Soar!

caribbean484

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:27 am

Thanks you both BWIA772 and MD90fan for updating the Caribbean Aviation thread.

Still no photos of the Dash8 in the full CALx livery. Still just the hybrids!!

Someone please get picsof the Dash8s.
One more is in the Hanger at POS still undergoing D checks for internation flight to do regional flights.
All ah we is one family

2travel2know

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:15 pm

It seems that finally by the end of next week CM will start their long awaited and many times delayed PTY-POS.
However, there were rumors that by the end of this year PTY-KIN would have gone from a twice weekly to a 4 x week and sometime next year to daily, but nothing yet. Surely CM is blaming that on a pilot shortage, while they are adding a 4th PTY-HAV, way to go CM !!!  sarcastic 
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

mbj-11

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:33 pm

Just off topic, how many of us will be headed off for vacation this Christmas? Betweeen Spirit's MILF lol and JM's ridiculously high fares, I'm still in yet to decide mode. Anyone else?
Jesus is the Christ and he alone saves

captaink

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:14 pm

Quoting Mbj-11 (Reply 5):
Just off topic, how many of us will be headed off for vacation this Christmas? Betweeen Spirit's MILF lol and JM's ridiculously high fares, I'm still in yet to decide mode. Anyone else?

I am in the air on the 24th. I am flying sucky American Airlines though. Hopefully, I should be flying JM around News Years, not so sure as yet.
Look Up

lucianflyboy

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:25 pm

Quoting BWIA 772 (Thread starter):
Hello all

This most likely will be the last post of the year 2007. It has been an interesting year in Caribbean

I'd like to thank BWIA772 for getting these posts started. Also to include AA1818 and all the other contributors for all these updates and vital information. Most of my airline contacts from 'back in the day' have left the islands and it's hard to get aviation news about the Caribbean online or even in print. I rely on my fellow a neters to bring news from home.

I look forward to all the postings and try to add my own comments when I can contribute.

Again, thanks guys!!

Ta!

md90fan

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:54 pm

Quoting BWIA 772 (Thread starter):
PS MD90 fan your break is over from 2008 its back to you for starting these things!

Most definetly, once I finish my AP Fall Review, things should be back to normal.

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 2):
If CAL flies to the same destination as the fast ferry would that not make the latter CAL's competitors?

I don't see why not, the ferry seems to be no different than the TGV in France or Acela Express on the US Eastern Seaboard in terms of being a competitor.

Just off topic, how many of us will be headed off for vacation this Christmas?

Dec.16-23: LAX-FLL-NAS
Dec.16-Jan.1: LAX-EWR

Now, some pictures of the relatively modern airport at SDQ:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2395/2045371588_0d8c09d5ce_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2237/2045368348_59eaed3f69_b.jpg

And I'll repost my message about TX:

With Air Caraibes, probably the least mentioned of the Caribbean heavyweights, due to receive it's first Embraer EMB-190 jet this month and due to commence service to the Central American cities of Panama City and San Jose (flying to non-Anglo cities is something many Caribbean carriers cannot lay claim to), I figure we ought to get a discussion about their future going.

From my extensive scrutinization, Air Caraibes seems to be on the fast track to success (good product, new aircraft, nice hub in the French Caribbean). What do you guys think? They are even looking at A350XWBs and 777-300/ERs at a time when most Caribbean carriers have trouble holding on to narrowbodies.

Kudos to Air Caraibes, dare I say the Caribbean airline with the brightest future  twocents   champagne 
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

FWI747

Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:36 pm

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 8):
Kudos to Air Caraibes, dare I say the Caribbean airline with the brightest future

bigthumbsup 

FWI747

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:26 pm

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 8):
And I'll repost my message about TX:

With Air Caraibes, probably the least mentioned of the Caribbean heavyweights, due to receive it's first Embraer EMB-190 jet this month and due to commence service to the Central American cities of Panama City and San Jose (flying to non-Anglo cities is something many Caribbean carriers cannot lay claim to), I figure we ought to get a discussion about their future going.

From my extensive scrutinization, Air Caraibes seems to be on the fast track to success (good product, new aircraft, nice hub in the French Caribbean). What do you guys think? They are even looking at A350XWBs and 777-300/ERs at a time when most Caribbean carriers have trouble holding on to narrowbodies.

And I'll repost mine :

Add the A380 too  hyper  ! They are said to prospect International Lease Company in order to lease two 852 passengers WhaleJet; flights would be conducted in conjunction with Air Austral...

See the link below :

Air Austral (Réunion) Considering A380's (by Beaucaire Nov 8 2007 in Civil Aviation)

I don't think they are considering it seriously, just assessing the feasibility. IMHO they should concentrate on filling up their planes and keeping a well adjust fleet to their market, which seems to have succeed well those past years.
As for the routes they started recently, the first one is fed by local tourism : many Martinicans has rediscovered recently that during the 1900s some of their relatives went to Panama to work on the Canal.
The destination soon became a regular spot in conjunction with a local diminishing demand for the Venezuela. The second one to San Jose is fed by french tourism. French operators wanted this destination to be served by a regular carrier. Air Caraibes responded by offering straight connection between flights from France to San Jose.
But I don't think they are ready to go head to head with the majors of the region since their networks are distinct.
As it has been stated in a local newspaper, the main danger for their expansion lies in Air France's appetite for the regional market.

Maybe Air Caraibes should start to look for regional or continental alliances...but I'm too young in the business to see what they could offer, i.e if the access to french market would be of interest for the regional carriers...

What do you guys think ?

On a side note best wishes to those of you who are passing exams, I've been through it not too long ago.

Cheers
David

speedbird2263

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:29 pm

Oh come Hell or high water...(*or a boat) Im going Home Big grin lol...However im still in search mode as well, MILF is over lol..and it still didnt garner much of a result for my travel dates...and you are quite right about JM...ridiculously high  Wow! ...I've been spoilt by NK 's $250 and below fares for FLL-KIN so there's no way Im footing $500. I Love JM however my financial adviser doesn't lol.
Straight'n Up 'N Fly Right Son

aa1818

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:37 pm

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 4):
It seems that finally by the end of next week CM will start their long awaited and many times delayed PTY-POS.
However, there were rumors that by the end of this year PTY-KIN would have gone from a twice weekly to a 4 x week and sometime next year to daily, but nothing yet. Surely CM is blaming that on a pilot shortage, while they are adding a 4th PTY-HAV, way to go CM !!!

I thought that the December start-up was delayed??
I had cancelled my plans to go to Panama in January and i'm now looking at Austria (totally diff destination, but I'm random like that.) Will have to do Panama on my easter break in March/ April!
What are fares like/ bookings like since no one in POS seems to know that they are now starting in December. They originally announced Dec. then postponed it indef.

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

2travel2know

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:58 pm

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 12):
What are fares like/ bookings like since no one in POS seems to know that they are now starting in December. They originally announced Dec. then postponed it indef.

CM has not taken POS from their website and are announcing fares between POS and KIN. But there's no CM sales office address on the website, maybe CO POS will handle CM? I wish I knew what's going on with CM and POS.

A388

Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:37 pm

And I'll repost my Air Caraibes post here too:

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 179):
Kudos to Air Caraibes, dare I say the Caribbean airline with the brightest future

Agreed. Air Caraibes indeed has been doing pretty well, far better than the other major Caribbean airlines and still nobody is giving them the attention they deserve. If that rumor of them getting the A380 to jointly operate with UU than that is even better! The first Caribbean airline with the A380, but to be honest I have to see it to believe it. Even so Air Caraibes is a nice airline and in pretty well shape.

A388

Let's discuss the French Caribbean aviation more often.

And I'll repost my VS SXM question here too!!:

I heard a rumor the government of SXM is trying to get BA or VS to start flying to SXM. Does anyone know more about this? If true I see VS as the best bet. I don't think BA is that willing to start SXM service.

A388

wadadli

Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:14 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 14):
I heard a rumor the government of SXM is trying to get BA or VS to start flying to SXM. Does anyone know more about this? If true I see VS as the best bet. I don't think BA is that willing to start SXM service.

I can comment on this as i recall several articles in the past where SXM were trying to get BA to start flying there. Not sure if this is still a valid concern but at the time, they cited the weight taking off restrictions due to the lenght or the runway as a major problem. Also they mentioned the high cost of operating into SXM and the fact that there was already sufficient connecting service with Air France, Corsair, KLM etc. On top of that, SXM is not that popular in the british market compared to BGI,NAS,TAB,ANU,UVF, GND etc. I think that this is supported by the fact that there is not even one charter or scheduled flight out of the london area to SXM. If there was enough demand, at the very least a charter would be on the route. So unless BA had a change of a heart from 2-3 years back, i highly doubt they will be entering the market. Actually, i had also read that they had no plans to add any new caribbean destinations and indeed they have not to date.

In light of some of the above info, I think it is even less likely that virgin would start a flight with a 451 seater 747-400 unless it was a shared service with another island.

trintocan

Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:44 pm

Once again, a welcome splash of sunshine from the Caribbean! My 2 week holiday in the region (T&T and Barbados) went by way too fast and so I'm back in the wintry weather!

I must say I've been very intrigued by the lack of even a charter service from the UK to SXM but it seems clear that this island has largely been a destination for visitors from France, The Netherlands and North America (plus by extension other European nations as both KL and AF draw in pax from elsewhere). Additionally, St. Maarten is a huge cruise ship destination so perhaps, all things being considered, it has not felt the need to target UK visitors - although this may well be set to change.

I seriously doubt a fast ferry service amongst the Islands would necesssarily hurt BW or LI - what is more likely is that it will stimulate more travel by offering another option for regional movement.

TrinToCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

trintocan

Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:50 pm

After reading the last few posts of the old thread I am forced to ask the same question as some of us here. Why do staff at POS take the luggage off the carousel? As far as I see it, the staff are risking their health and safety and it is possible that workmens' compensation may well be invoked should somebody suffer an injury doing so. Why not simply leave it on until the passengers come around for it?

TrinToCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

aa1818

Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:49 pm

Quoting Trintocan (Reply 16):
I seriously doubt a fast ferry service amongst the Islands would necesssarily hurt BW or LI - what is more likely is that it will stimulate more travel by offering another option for regional movement.

I tend to agree with you. After all for the services to UVF, SVD, GND and possibly BGI, the GoTT is only considering 2 fast ferries at the start, so it means at most 2x weekly services to each destinations, if that. It certainly will not affect BGI and GND daily traffic, when businessmen etc travel between them for convenience and ease by air. The ferries will be much longer. However, during the holiday periods, the ferries will supplement the air traffic by allowing families to carry cars etc across- of course all the requirements need to be sorted out like can BGI cars drive in TT and can GND cars drive in BGI if transported via TT on holiday etc. early 2009 is not that far away as a target date for initiation, however, as we know the Government will likely be at least a year late on the inter island ferry. The intra island ferry within Trinidad is going to be almost a year late too!

Quoting Trintocan (Reply 17):
After reading the last few posts of the old thread I am forced to ask the same question as some of us here. Why do staff at POS take the luggage off the carousel? As far as I see it, the staff are risking their health and safety and it is possible that workmens' compensation may well be invoked should somebody suffer an injury doing so. Why not simply leave it on until the passengers come around for it?

I asked the baggage handlers and they said it's cuz the luggage cannot fit on the carousel, which i think is BS!!
They also said it's easier for ppl to get their bags which is also BS.

I am appealling to everyone who travels to POS regularly or anyone residing in TT, please stop the embarassment and write, call, etc to the AA authoritiy and media if necessary about changing the system!!

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 13):
CM has not taken POS from their website and are announcing fares between POS and KIN. But there's no CM sales office address on the website, maybe CO POS will handle CM? I wish I knew what's going on with CM and POS.

I had written to CM and they said that the Dec. 14th start up date was not confirmed. I will find the e-mail!

Cheers, Happy Holidays!
AA1818

A388

Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:07 pm

Quoting Wadadli (Reply 15):
On top of that, SXM is not that popular in the british market compared to BGI,NAS,TAB,ANU,UVF, GND etc.

How come AUA does receive British charterflights? AUA has no ties of any kind with the U.K. but still they managed to get British charterflights. If AUA can do it, why can't SXM? They are both in the same boat so to speak.

A388

aa1818

Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:46 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 19):
How come AUA does receive British charterflights? AUA has no ties of any kind with the U.K. but still they managed to get British charterflights. If AUA can do it, why can't SXM? They are both in the same boat so to speak.

AUA is much better known in the UK than SXM....at least among my friends in London who would be the 'premier' tourists travelling first class to their holidays; and also among students in Cambridge where i go to uni. Simple reason is marketing. AUA- bigger name than SXM in the UK.

AA1818

belizexp

Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:07 am

Belize my home sweet home...

2travel2know

Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:49 am

Who would be interested in JM? Because

Quoting Belizexp (Reply 21):
Government to sell Air Jamaica within 16 months

List of possible candidates:
Caribbean BW
Senhor Efranovich (Oceanair, Avianca)
LAN Group
Grupo TACA
CM/P5 with or without CO
G3/RG
VS

Whoever get JM may be doing a good business but they will too be getting a two-heaeded beast.

mbj-11

Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:12 am

BBC running late bwoy.......hahaha.
Also, the $500 bills look hard!! I noticed since the oil prices have rolled back to $88 per barrel FLL-MBJ has come from $510 to $425, I wonder if it can go to $72 per barrel and then we'll see what happens?

speedbird2263

Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:30 am

Quoting Mbj-11 (Reply 23):
I wonder if it can go to $72 per barrel and then we'll see what happens?

That's a good One..  laughing  ......................... I wonder too  scratchchin 
Straight'n Up 'N Fly Right Son

A388

Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:30 am

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 20):
AUA is much better known in the UK than SXM....at least among my friends in London who would be the 'premier' tourists travelling first class to their holidays; and also among students in Cambridge where i go to uni. Simple reason is marketing. AUA- bigger name than SXM in the UK.

My point is if AUA can do it, so can SXM. AUA and SXM are both very well known tourist destinations worldwide. With a little more effort SXM can get to the same popularity that AUA has in the U.K. or any other European country.

A388

aa1818

Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:43 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 25):

My point is if AUA can do it, so can SXM. AUA and SXM are both very well known tourist destinations worldwide. With a little more effort SXM can get to the same popularity that AUA has in the U.K. or any other European country.

I'm not doubting its potential, however until they start promoting the island in the UK, don't expect carriers to launch service there. I'd expect to see VS or XL there within 5 years!!

AA1818

captaink

Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:53 am

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 18):
I asked the baggage handlers and they said it's cuz the luggage cannot fit on the carousel, which i think is BS!!
They also said it's easier for ppl to get their bags which is also BS.

In GND, the when a flight like BA, or a full JM flight came in, it was true that the carousel was not big enough. (They were quite small actually) Sometimes two carousels were utilized, and still the baggae handlers had to come inside and start offloading from the carousel in order to transfer more bags from the containers. It has more to do with that all the bags in the hold cannot fit on one or even two carousels easily, and people are not clearing immigration fast enough, or locating their pieces fast enough to facilitate an easy flow of loading and offloading the carousel.

Now the carousels used in most American airports are great, (note below) and may hold an entire flights worth of baggage, but whats more is that with many more immigation officers there is a steadier flow of passengers from immigration to the baggage hall. I can't remmeber what Trinidad's carousels are like.

Look Up

wadadli

Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:14 pm

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 20):
AUA is much better known in the UK than SXM....

Yes that is a fact!

Quoting A388 (Reply 25):
My point is if AUA can do it, so can SXM. AUA and SXM are both very well known tourist destinations worldwide. With a little more effort SXM can get to the same popularity that AUA has in the U.K.

Agreed! Maybe they intend to start throwing some serious marketing dollars in the british market and after that the sky is the limit. But they are definately not one of the more popular caribbean holiday destinations in the caribbean right now.

beeweel15

Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:49 pm

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 22):
List of possible candidates:
Caribbean BW
Senhor Efranovich (Oceanair, Avianca)
LAN Group
Grupo TACA
CM/P5 with or without CO
G3/RG
VS

Hope it would be Caribbean BW. You will see history come full circle as BW gave birth to JM.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © John F. Ciesla

westindian425

Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:18 pm

Also- POS Gov't has stated intentions to start a regional fast ferry service by the start of 2009 from POS to GND, SVD, UVF and "even BGI".
Should give LI a run for their money!

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 18):
tend to agree with you. After all for the services to UVF, SVD, GND and possibly BGI, the GoTT is only considering 2 fast ferries at the start, so it means at most 2x weekly services to each destinations, if that. It certainly will not affect BGI and GND daily traffic, when businessmen etc travel between them for convenience and ease by air.

I heard about that!! Right now they're planning to conduct feasibility studies on how this would work. There's still a delay, however, on the fast-ferry service between T&T. They were supposed to be acquiring two and they still haven't gotten them yet.

Quoting Captaink (Reply 6):
I am flying sucky American Airlines though.

Sigh...so you've decided to side with the Evil Empire. Don't worry. Luke Skywalker was able to get his father back from the dark side.  Wink

Quoting Trintocan (Reply 17):

I'm not sure about the workers comp situation, but I can tell you when CO arrives into POS, usually there are 3 consecutive flights arriving very close to each other (CO, AA, CAL, and sometimes DL). POS has several carousels to help alleviate this, but they aren't that big, especially when loading bags from 737-800s, ATRs and 757's. Also, the line for Customs is ridiculous! This is another problem I see that needs fixing.

Quoting Beeweel15 (Reply 31):
Hope it would be Caribbean BW. You will see history come full circle as BW gave birth to JM.

Wouldn't that be interesting!! I doubt that would happen, though. Pride would be a huge stumbling block.
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

westindian425

Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:24 pm

Umm...what's this about "Citrus" looking to join in on the Caribbean fun?

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/bus...ation/2007/12/international-g.html
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

mbj-11

Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:46 am

I couldn't help but post this....JM has just gone plain ridiculous with their pricing. $178 from MBJ-FLL during Christmas yet $490-$510 for the reverse? Also, $178 FLL-MBJ as of January 10th. GeezI didn't know oil cost more during Christmas, or is it just JM?

Inbound

Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:01 am

hey guys, I was able to get a half-assed quick snap of 9Y-WIT. It's not even a side view, more like rear 3/4 and not the best quality.

but if anyone is interested in taking it to post it up here, I can email it to you.

by the way, it's not a 757 CAL will be getting, it's a dry leased 737-800.

cheers....
Maintain own separation with terrain!

albird87

Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:46 am

Hey guys this being the last carib post for 2007 then i all wish you happy holidays and a happy new year!! I will be spending my time over here in the grand cayman and enjoying my life down here!!! Hope you all have safe journeys and a great time with your families and friends over the christmas holidays.

Quoting Captaink (Reply 6):
I am flying sucky American Airlines though. Hopefully, I should be flying JM around News Years, not so sure as yet.

I hate to say it but AA offer some great prices for continuing on passengers. I just hope you get a good crew like i did (in my trip report) and you have fun!!

Quoting WestIndian425 (Reply 32):
Sigh...so you've decided to side with the Evil Empire. Don't worry. Luke Skywalker was able to get his father back from the dark side.

We all know that the rebels should of been crushed by the empire but as long as there is a will there is a way!! Luke was a pussy compared to his father the darthy!!!

KX has execellent loads for this xmas time and i hope that we have a hassle free departures to all our destinations (god thats a hard wish!!!).
Im off to MIA for a bit of shopping next weekend soo everybody have fun over the hols!!

beeweel15

Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:16 am

Quoting Mbj-11 (Reply 34):
JM has just gone plain ridiculous with their pricing. $178 from MBJ-FLL during Christmas yet $490-$510 for the reverse? Also, $178 FLL-MBJ as of January 10th. GeezI didn't know oil cost more during Christmas, or is it just JM?

Dont worry it is the same here in NYC going to POS with BW , Travelspan and Constellation. Always happens during the heavy travel periods.

hummingbird

Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:40 am

I almost fell off my chair when I saw this article. Competition in our backyard.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20071207/business/business1.html
The sky is the limit, but never stop grasping until you get the glory cloud..

caribbean484

Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:33 am

Quoting HummingBird (Reply 38):
I almost fell off my chair when I saw this article. Competition in our backyard.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2....html

Hummingbird you beat me to it by a few seconds.
Well well well, Lets see h this one goes, because according to the article, they plan to operate new fleet of 737?
This is what I was asking about because there was an License approval in the KIN news.
All ah we is one family

caribbean484

Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:38 am

Quoting Inbound (Reply 35):
by the way, it's not a 757 CAL will be getting, it's a dry leased 737-800.

ok so will this mean an additional long term 737-800. Where is this aircraft coming from. I did some research, the only one currently ofered is from Boeing commercial aviation and available next year.
Inbound can you give some more info as it comes in. thanks
All ah we is one family

hummingbird

Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:38 am

2travel2know

Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:07 pm

Quoting HummingBird (Reply 41):

http://jamaicaobserver.com/magazines...A.asp

Yet another airline flying into FLL and JFK (or EWR?). I'm not sure, but It won't be better if their start flying from either KIN or MBJ and then add flights from the other Jamaican aiport?
Is Airone the one getting the former CO B737-300?
Goodluck Airone Jamaica.

A388

Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:16 pm

Quoting HummingBird (Reply 38):

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2....html

So this might be that low cost airline that was rumored to start operations from Jamaica? I started a separate thread about a low cost airline start up in Jamaica some time ago. Maybe it is not VS but this airline? Any more details?

A388

mbj-11

Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:30 pm

Ok , so since the bomb has been dropped and has rocked Jamaican and ultimately Caribbean aviation here is the deal. Airone wants to operate a Southwest or Ryanair type operation according to what I have gleaned. Digicel can deny all they want, but its kinda a Virgin music launching VS to compete with BA. I wonder if a certain Mr. S Lynch had anything to do with this?
Now JM is gonna be scrambling like crazy and I am sure CAL is gonna be nervous if this thing ever, ever gets up and running. JM has indeed been running some ridiculous prices and when they ain't in red light mode, so have NK and occasionally AA. I won't hold my breath on this one as JM will respond and I mean will respond. As lousy as they have been, when you in their bread and basket area, they'll kick in. But the interest will be how will they do this when its springing from their own back yard?

2travel2know

Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:54 pm

Quoting Mbj-11 (Reply 44):
But the interest will be how will they do this when its springing from their own back yard?

Yeah, I'm sure JM has plenty of dirty laundry they could use to force Jamaican Civil Aviation to make it very hard for Airone to start.
I can imagine JM asking some favours back from high-ranking Jamaicans in the (current and pasts) government so that Airone is free to fly but ONLY from VERNAMFIELD, the "Jamaican airport for Jamaican LCC".  eyepopping 

BTW, CM PTY-KIN is still so lousy that I would welcome an Airone at least thrice weekly KIN-PTY. Higglers would love it.

hummingbird

Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:03 pm

I admire the way the company has structured their plans. I can tell they have had input from well experienced individual (s).
When I heard of the 737-300, one name came to mind, M Conway. According to sources, he still lives in Kingston. After his departure from JM he mentioned he has been in discussion with local firms regarding consultation.
JM will not be threatened as much as NK and AA. Jamaicans will always be loyal to JM.

jm017

Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:06 pm

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 42):

Yet another airline flying into FLL and JFK (or EWR?). I'm not sure, but It won't be better if their start flying from either KIN or MBJ and then add flights from the other Jamaican aiport?

I think so too. Start with one airport.

Now JM is gonna be scrambling like crazy and I am sure CAL is gonna be nervous if this thing ever, ever gets up and running. JM has indeed been running some ridiculous prices and when they ain't in red light mode, so have NK and occasionally AA. I won't hold my breath on this one as JM will respond and I mean will respond.

Well, competition is a good thing. I am thrilled. But wary. I'll believe it when I see it. But it's nice to see someone intending to focus on KIN for a change.

I guess they figure (or hope) to have the same kind of success that was had when Digicel introduced it's cellular service to Jamaica.
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

mbj-11

Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:55 pm

Quoting HummingBird (Reply 46):
When I heard of the 737-300, one name came to mind, M Conway. According to sources, he still lives in Kingston. After his departure from JM he mentioned he has been in discussion with local firms regarding consultation.
JM will not be threatened as much as NK and AA. Jamaicans will always be loyal to JM.

One thing, Jamaican society is a funny place where people as "badmind" as they are will band together for the good. So you're right about JM having very very loyal customer base. JM is sorta like the political parties, ever have the die hards.
Also 737-300's, this a/c can be sold as not too nice to the public as compared to JM's fleet, remember the whole debacle with Conway trying to acquire them? Jamaicans love fancy believe me.
Again I am looking for some Irish link with this via Mr. S. Lynch being an investor dunno why, but just have a gut feeling. JM has weathered many a storm, but the questions is, how will they weather this one?

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 45):
I can imagine JM asking some favours back from high-ranking Jamaicans in the (current and pasts) government so that Airone is free to fly but ONLY from VERNAMFIELD, the "Jamaican airport for Jamaican LCC".

No favours will be required, It'll come naturally. Also I have to give the CAA credit, they are a very fair and transparent body. Vernamfield, dunno, it will be a hard sell to many Jamaicans, for now KIN is the right move.

hummingbird

Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:07 pm

Now that we are on the topic of Boeing 737-300. What is the latest on Caribbean Sun?

caribbean484

Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:19 pm

Now JM is gonna be scrambling like crazy and I am sure CAL is gonna be nervous if this thing ever, ever gets up and running. JM has indeed been running some ridiculous prices and when they ain't in red light mode, so have NK and occasionally AA. I won't hold my breath on this one as JM will respond and I mean will respond. As lousy as they have been, when you in their bread and basket area, they'll kick in. But the interest will be how will they do this when its springing from their own back yard?

This will be and intresting concept. About 10yrs ago Air Caribbean had the same concept of low cost carrier and thought they could compete with BWIA and AA to the regiona and US.
BWIA was not all that good at the time, but the airline's customer base was strong and fares did not help Air Caribbean take any market share. The airline went into recievership in 2001.
I don't expect JM nor CAL to lie and let this airline just come into the market, they will build a strong base to compete. West Indians are a particular group of people.
All ah we is one family

aa1818

Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:40 pm

Quoting HummingBird (Reply 49):
Now that we are on the topic of Boeing 737-300. What is the latest on Caribbean Sun?

....I e-mailed Caribbean Sun and coincidentally received this reply yesterday!

Mr Clarke:

Thank you for your interest in Caribbean Sun and for sharing our excitement for our new future. We are currently seeking approval from the DOT and FAA to pursue our new business plan and cannot set a final flight schedule and operation restart date until we have the go-ahead from those authorities. Our goal is to re-launch by early 2008. We still are in the process of procuring an aircraft.

Please check our web site for the most up-to-date information. As soon as we have news to post, we will share it there.

Corporate Communications

Caribbean Sun Airlines

Also- good luck to Airone Jamaica. I think that like CAL and CWIA they can co-exist and provide citizens with greater options...

Seasons Greetings
AA1818

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos