Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

a380us
Topic Author

Charter To Cuba

Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:29 am

I am seeking to find information on how best to obtain charter rights to fly from US to Cuba on seasonal basis. Could one operate under foreign (3rd country) or US flag.

A380US
www.JandACosmetics.com

luv2fly

RE: Charter To Cuba

Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:34 am

Most of the USA airlines currently operate charters from the States to Cuba.
You can cut the irony with a knife

flymia

Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:33 am

Many US airlines do it. Well at least AA and CO and ATA from MIA. Also Gulfstream International Airlines is the only airline to be allowed scheduled service I think. MIA-HAV. I dont think there are any Cuba-US flights that dont go to MIA. There might be some from JFK? I know if you get the right to fly a private aircraft to Cuba it must be to and from MIA. But to get the rights to run charters as an airline, thats is probably not very easy to do. Guess you can give the State Department a call. I am 99% sure no foreign airline would be allowed to fly US-Cuba.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

md90fan

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:46 pm

IIRC, AA runs ~20 flights ex.Miami to 5 cities in Cuba, LAB (along with CO) also did some stuff to Cuba, too.
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

mia

Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:02 am

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 2):
Guess you can give the State Department a call.

Nope, you need to contact the OFAC of the US Department of the Treasury: http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 1):

Wrong: the US airlines operate flights but the charters are done by other companies, that sell seats, etc; and wet lease the aircraft. AA, CO, DL, FLZ (Air Florida Airlines has permit but is non-existent), TZ, OP (Chalks), Falcon Air Express, Gulstream Air Chaters, Gulfstream International Airlines, National Jets, Personal Jet Charter, UA is an inclusive list of companies allowed to fly to Cuba by the OFAC. The only majors missing are US and NW.

The direct U.S.-Cuba travel market is geared toward two groups: cuban-americans and religious+specific needs. Because these groups are tightly controlled and need to be authorized to travel their needs are provided by specific providers because the regulations are so specific and the market is tightly controlled. Marazul is an example:

http://www.marazulcharters.com/

dude down there - my bad.

[Edited 2007-12-05 17:33:01]
"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen."

luv2fly

Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:10 am

Quoting Mia (Reply 4):

Wrong: the US airlines operate flights but the charters are done by other companies, that sell seats, etc; and wet lease the aircraft.

Hello, the word charter usually means on behalf of someone other than said carrier. And I said "operate" I did not say run them.
You can cut the irony with a knife

777STL

Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:51 am

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 2):
There might be some from JFK?

I believe there are some flights on AA metal run out of JFK.
PHX based

a380us
Topic Author

Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:37 am

Quoting AnnInFL (Reply 7):
Bimini Island Air flies three times a week from MIA to Havana. Gulfstream, Eagle and Sky King also do charters into Havana from Miami.

but can someone please explain to me what licenses and other "things" would be required for an airline (3rd country) to operate under charter between the USA and Cuba?
www.JandACosmetics.com

COSPN

Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:09 pm

CO used to fly JFK-HAV charters ...they used JFK because one of the NJ congressmen was one of those "Anti-Castro " Cubans...and did not want it to operate from EWR of course CO complied because he was helpful with many other traffic rights from EWR to other countries..

a380us
Topic Author

Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:04 pm

Quoting COSPN (Reply 9):

CO used to fly JFK-HAV charters ...they used JFK because one of the NJ congressmen was one of those "Anti-Castro " Cubans...and did not want it to operate from EWR of course CO complied because he was helpful with many other traffic rights from EWR to other countries..

do you know when that was and what licenses (extra) and who's permission?
www.JandACosmetics.com