marcg11
Topic Author

Brown Petitions EPA To Regulate Aircraft Emissions

Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:30 pm

ikramerica

RE: Brown Petitions EPA To Regulate Aircraft Emissions

Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:54 pm

Talk about overstepping his authority.

I know the state of CA thinks we can set national environmental policy because we have been granted some limited rights to set our own standards, it's becoming a major national problem as more and more states adopt our regulations out of laziness. At this point, CA basically DOES set national EPA standards for cars because so many other large states are locked into our measures. And yet we are such a horrible model, considering we don't inspect our cars for safety, allow 30 year old cars to fail emissions and still be on the road, don't build new highways increasing congestion and leading to more pollution and horrible fuel economy, etc.

We do so much wrong here, I really don't think we have any right to tell anyone else how to run things...  Wink
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

mutu

Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:39 pm

This is just such a difficult area. I am no sciuentist so I cannot firmly subscribe to one side of the argument or the other. Lots of factors cause the earth to heat and cool and in its history it has done both many times when mankind was just insignificant.

Are we contributing to it? Probably but its happenning anyway. So the key issue is not whether its happening but "is there anything mankind can do to slow earth apparent natural heating cycle?"

Every little helps I guess and I have never heard a politician say climate first economy second.

EU charges are on the way. Ok emmisions trading is fine, I have no objection. You get your current level of emmission for free then have to buy "rights to pollute" for any excess. If you slowly introduce more efficient cleaner fleet you can still expand at nil cost, if you dont, you pay. This could deliver incentives to grow cleaner

The redesignation of UK passenger duties to a direct pollution tax on airlines is a step in the right direction but my fare will not change, UK duty will disappear and be loaded into the base fare by the airline. This simply taxes travel and as long as its a bearable amount the travelling public will just pay up and pollute!!

Who knows what the answer is but whatever I think there needs to be a GLOBAL answer in our industry, not a national or regional unilateral one

PanAm747

Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:04 pm

Actually, what I got from the article was that Governor Moonbeam...er, excuse me, 'Attorney General' Brown is calling on the government to do something about the emissions of airplanes - not imposing any California-only regulations.

Having said that, have there ever been any studies of the amount of greenhouse gases from airplanes versus automobiles per person? I would love to see a comparison, for example, of which produces more - when I fly SAN-BFL-SAN on ExpressJet's EMB-145 versus if I drove up and back alone.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

nucsh

RE: Brown Petitions EPA To Regulate Aircraft Emiss

Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:22 pm

It doesn't matter which form of transportation pollutes more. The bottom line is that we, as a civilization, need to be moving towards greener and more efficient technologies as a whole. Pointing fingers at who is worse isn't going to make that happen any faster. Aircraft manufacturers are already making strides, as are engine manufacturers. We're all familiar with the efforts put forth by Boeing, Airbus, GE, etc. with the 787 and A350 - both are great efforts in moving aviation towards being a more efficient form of transportation.

Granted, it will take more than developing for just 20% more efficient, but it's a step in the right direction.
If landing is about "kissing" the ground, you just about raped it.

Gemuser

Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:56 am

Quoting Nucsh (Reply 4):
It doesn't matter which form of transportation pollutes more. The bottom line is that we, as a civilization, need to be moving towards greener and more efficient technologies as a whole. Pointing fingers at who is worse isn't going to make that happen any faster.

Sorry Nucsh, but I think this is total rubbish! It is important to know which specific human activity contributes the most to pollution both on an absolute and relative scale. It is such a large problem that ANY rational solution will of necessity be a piece meal approach. So it is important to which problem to attack first and that of course is the problem causing the most damage. There is no point is spending vast amount of time and money on what are really minor problems until the major problems are dealt with. So it is very important to know which specific activity is the most damaging.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos