Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JetBlueJackets
Topic Author

Minnesota Wild Doesn't Use NW?

Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:45 am

Here in CMH, Jetblue has a charter routing DTW-CMH-MSP over the next 2 days...this matches up with the NHL's MInnesota Wild's schedule of playing the redwings tomorrow, the CBJ Saturday, then returning to MSP on Saturday night. Why wouldn't they use NW metal? Cost? What does this say about NW? Does this say anything about NW?

airportugal310

RE: Minnesota Wild Doesn't Use NW?

Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:49 am

Says nothing.

JetBlue probably gave them a better quote, and had spare aircraft.

Business is business. Pennies are pennies.

N908AW

Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:32 am

Quoting Airportugal310 (Reply 1):
Says nothing.

JetBlue probably gave them a better quote, and had spare aircraft.

Business is business. Pennies are pennies.

Yep, absolutely. Doesn't say anything at all about NW, that's just the way things go.

The Twins use Champion (albeit, CCP is a partial appendage of NW...)
The T'Wolves use Blue Moon (...or they did...)
The Gophers use whatever

The Vikes do use NW, though.

mycrj17

Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:03 am

Well The Chicago CUBS and the sox use UA, but WN are sponsors of both and do not fly any team in Chicago... And the Blackhawks and Bulls use UA... I just think is funny, you sponsor a team at the ballpark or stadium and won't fly the team... Like the Atlanta Trashers use Midwest, not Delta. Anaheim Angels use Delta, K.C. Royals use Midwest.. And the Yankees and the Mets don't use JetBlue...

Matt

AirframeAS

Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:42 am

Quoting Mycrj17 (Reply 3):
I just think is funny, you sponsor a team at the ballpark or stadium and won't fly the team...

Its not about flying the team, in WN's case. Its all about marketing and adverstising. WN 'sponsors' (or so they say..) just about every sporting event in the U.S.

burnsie28

Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:46 am

NW doesn't have configurations for NHL teams anymore, NW used to fly the Avalanche around when they had the specially configured 727's.

srbmod

Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:38 am

Quoting JetBlueJackets (Thread starter):
Does this say anything about NW?

No. Now if they were using SY for their charters, then perhaps that could be said. For example, the Thrashers and Hawks both have Delta as their "official airline", but use Midwest and the Hawks on occasion use Champion for charters.

With NHL and NBA teams having such small traveling groups, it really makes more sense for them to use an airline that has a/c specifically set up for charters. NHL teams do need decent-sized a/c (no RJs) because they do have quite a bit of gear to haul around, especially on a long road trip. NFL and MLB teams are large enough groups where using an a/c typically used in regular passenger service is necessary.

Lexy

Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:58 pm

Last year, Minnesota used Swift Air Charters Boeing 737-400 for their away games. I remember seeing it here in Nashville when they would play the Preds.

jetblueguy22

Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:47 pm

Quoting JetBlueJackets (Thread starter):
Jetblue has a charter routing DTW-CMH-MSP over the next 2 days

I know it is just a charter but I hope they see MSP as a future destination. It is a fairly nice airport and has many gates. Plus it would be nice when I visit family, rather than taking NW with the zero legroom on the A320 in coach.

JetBlueJackets
Topic Author

Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:54 am

Quoting Jetblueguy22 (Reply 8):
I know it is just a charter but I hope they see MSP as a future destination.

I'll add it to the list and forward to barger.....so far I have

CVG
IND
MSP
STL
MCI
OKC
DFW
MEM
DTW

AirCop

Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:01 am

Quoting Lexy (Reply 7):
Last year, Minnesota used Swift Air Charters Boeing 737-400 for their away games. I remember seeing it here in Nashville when they would play the Preds.

That would be Teamjet operated by Pace, same planes that the Coyotes, Suns, and D-Backs use. I believe the fleet now is 1 757; 1 733 and then the 734. A couple of other teams also uses them when available.

threepoint

Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:11 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 6):
With NHL and NBA teams having such small traveling groups, it really makes more sense for them to use an airline that has a/c specifically set up for charters. NHL teams do need decent-sized a/c (no RJs) because they do have quite a bit of gear to haul around

Agree with all but the 'small groups' statement. An NHL team will cart around 25+ players (including healthy scratches), a dozen coaching/trainer staff and often journalists may accompany the team.
Hence the use by many Canadian NHL teams of AC Jetz (A320 I believe). Use of the charter is ultimately cheaper, more comfortable, and very much faster and more efficient when trying to fly home to YVR after your PHX game ends at 10PM.

a/c dxer

Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:05 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 10):
That would be Teamjet operated by Pace, same planes that the Coyotes, Suns, and D-Backs use. I believe the fleet now is 1 757; 1 733 and then the 734. A couple of other teams also uses them when available.

Actually Team Jet/ Swift Air got their certifcate last year they are operating 3 737-400's and got rid of the 757

srbmod

Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:24 pm

Quoting Threepoint (Reply 11):

Agree with all but the 'small groups' statement. An NHL team will cart around 25+ players (including healthy scratches), a dozen coaching/trainer staff and often journalists may accompany the team.

Compared with an NFL, MLB, or a NCAA Division 1 football traveling party it is small. I know for college football charters, we're talking upwards of 100 folks. I remember back in 2000, EV flew the University of Tennessee football team from TYS to AHN and back, as the airport in Athens could not handle the smallest DL mainline a/c. The team used an ATR-72 (for the players) and a CRJ-200 (For the coaches, school officials, and deep pocketed alumni).

TWA902fly

Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:51 pm

Quoting N908AW (Reply 2):
The Gophers use whatever

There was a USA JET DC-9-10 parked at grand forks flight support today. I am assuming that that is how the gophers got here?

'902

N908AW

Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:38 am

Quoting TWA902fly (Reply 14):
There was a USA JET DC-9-10 parked at grand forks flight support today. I am assuming that that is how the gophers got here?

Oh...not Gopher Hockey, they took a bus up to GFK. I was referring to Gopher football.

Absimilliard

Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:57 am

AC JETZ uses 3-4 A320 with 60 J class seats on them during the winter. During the summer, most of those planes are put back into a normal configuration. What's funny is they're old CP planes, so they still got the dropdown TV (in the aisle, watch your head!) and very old J class seats.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos