Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

brahmin
Topic Author

Air India BOM - JFK Nonstop Doing Well

Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:42 am

I recently flew this sector and was amazed at the loads for both Premium (First, Business) & Economy. Premium was about 75% full and Economy was quite low (just about every passenger had 3 seats)

On talking to the cockpit & cabin crew, I was told that they have been carrying a good load of Premium passengers and a few of these passengers do come in for the day.

The onboard service on AI was excellent and it was piss poor service for my domestic sector from JFK to LAX.

Kevin777

RE: Air India BOM - JFK Nonstop Doing Well

Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:15 pm

Welcome there..!

Quoting Brahmin (Thread starter):
Premium was about 75%

That's good for premium..

Economy was quite low (just about every passenger had 3 seats)

But that's definitely very poor for Y..! So I think it's a little early to say it's doing well..  Smile

On talking to the cockpit & cabin crew, I was told that they have been carrying a good load of Premium passengers and a few of these passengers do come in for the day.

What do you mean by that? Coming in on one flight, returning on the same or?

The onboard service on AI was excellent and it was piss poor service for my domestic sector from JFK to LAX.

Who was that? UA?

Regards,

Kevin777  Wink
"I was waiting for you at DFW, but you must have been in LUV" CPH-HAM-CPH CR9

747fan

Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:28 pm

While the premium cabin may be filling up fairly well on this route, which is really no surprise, Y sure hasn't been, which was the case on your flight. I know that the money is mainly made up front, but its still important to have at least a healthy load in economy (more than 50-60%), and this flight doesn't achieve that on a regular basis. I heard on here a while back that AI was only averaging about a 40% LF on this route a few months ago. I remember that the inaugural flight only had 80 passengers on it (out of 238 available - a 33% LF). I doubt ithat it is performing much better as this time of the year is definitely a lower-demand air travel period. However, I did look at advance bookings on Delta.com for JFK-BOM/BOM-JFK, and those flights were nearly full, with DL 16 (the outbound leg) generally having slightly higher loads. Maybe, if possible, someone with better information can share...
I know that the NYC-India market definitely has more than enough flights, but I still don't see why AI is struggling so much on this route (DL sure is doing well, as is CO out of EWR). I've seen some cabin photos from their new 77L's that they're using on the route, and their product looks excellent. I wonder if Jet Airways is doing well out of EWR and JFK?

comorin

Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:08 pm

Welcome to a.net, but could you please come up with a username that is not based on Caste? There are plenty of Indian a.netters on here and it would be a friendly thing to do...

Thank you.

Blr2Syr

Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:55 pm

A friend of mine took this Flight on the second day of inception and there were just 60 odd people of the BOM-JFK leg. I would wonder if they had better places to fill seat . Maybe a BLR-JFK would do better besides AI i s better posed than others to get an early start in this leg.They have the aircraft (200LR) and the setup. Their thinking defies me. Even an AMD-JFK would prob do better for the follow reasons

- Lack of such a service
- Gujarati population in NY-NJ area
- Wealth of the gujurati folks

With good pricing it would leave EK in the dust.

worldtraveler

Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:36 pm

Regardless of how well business and first are doing, you can't make money without carrying significant numbers of people in coach - unless they also carry lots of cargo.

Any indications of how AI is doing on cargo. The 77LR does give them an advantage if they take it.

karan69

Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:32 pm

Quoting WorldTraveler (Reply 5):
The 77LR does give them an advantage if they take it.

Considering they have one spare constantly parked at BOM, does not seem to me that they are taking the advantage.

As far as cargo goes, yes they do utilise the 77LRs capabilities but bulk of it goes on the daily 744 service

Karan

FLYACYYZ

Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:30 pm

Quoting Karan69 (Reply 6):
Considering they have one spare constantly parked at BOM, does not seem to me that they are taking the advantage

Non-utilized aircraft sitting on the ground - either with extensive ground time, or used as "spares" do not generate revenue. Must be nice.....  Confused
Above and Beyond

sammyk

Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:09 am

Do they still operate the BOM-LHR-JFK flight? If so is there a plan to end it? I thought I read somewhere that the DEL-LHR-JFK flight will eventually end leaving only DEL-JFK but I don't know if that's true. If the BOM-LHR-JFK flight is stopped won't the BOM-JFK flight fill up automatically?

Quoting Comorin (Reply 3):
Welcome to a.net, but could you please come up with a username that is not based on Caste? There are plenty of Indian a.netters on here and it would be a friendly thing to do...

That is a ridiculous request.

Brahmin, please don't change your username.

Flighty

Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:48 am

Quoting 747fan (Reply 2):
80 passengers on it (out of 238 available - a 33% LF).

Oh good lord -- an E-175 load of pax, and the 772-LR fuel tanks need to be filled up to the brims. Not good. Maybe they could get some E-175 XLRLRXXL for this mission  Smile

TheBigOne

Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:22 am

I completely fail to understand why AI is incapable of filling up the BOM - JFK flight given that the BOM - LHR - JFK flight has now stopped. Where have all the passengers gone that were originally on the one stop service? While it was made quite public on these forums that the inaugural flights had poor load factors due to the relatively rushed nature they were offered for sale, we have not had an accurate update of recent load factors. Anybody know what the most recent figures are? Mind you.....if AI don't allow staff on the non-stop service how can they ever hope to fill the aircraft  Wink
Reach for the stars - they are closer than you think!

AF022

Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:30 am

Quoting TheBigOne (Reply 10):
I completely fail to understand why AI is incapable of filling up the BOM - JFK flight given that the BOM - LHR - JFK flight has now stopped.

I didn't know this.

What is AI doing with the LHR slots previously used for JFK?

AlitaliaMD11

Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:43 am

Air India still flies the BOM-LHR-JFK route with the 777-200 and occasionally the 777-300ER.

Apparently DEL-JFK nonstop flies are due to start in February 2008 with the 777-300ER however with the less then profitable state that the nonstop BOM-JFK flight is doing I'm not sure if they will go ahead with the flight.
No Vueling No Party

FLYACYYZ

Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:25 pm

Quoting TheBigOne (Reply 10):
I completely fail to understand why AI is incapable of filling up the BOM - JFK flight given that the BOM - LHR - JFK flight has now stopped.

Timing is everything. The addition of CO and 9W in the marketplace probably have alot to do with AI's diminished loads. Perhaps AI should shift some capacity to an unserved routing such as YYZ/BOM - YYZ/DEL nonstop, or from an unserved market - YVR.

To refute the original post, if AI is indeed running at 30-something load factors, they are doing anything but well.
Above and Beyond

markboston

Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:15 pm

From personal experience I am not surprised that Air India has low yields in economy on its JFK-Mumbai flight.

I'm travelling from Boston to Mumbai in January and this flight did not even come up as an option on Expedia or Travelocity. It came up on Orbitz but the round trip fare was $300 higher than British Airways.

I ended up booking this flight with British Airways on BA's web site.

asuflyer

Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:28 pm

Doesn't this plane sit at JFK all day? I always seem to see Air India parked there at T4.

AlitaliaMD11

Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:44 pm

Quoting Asuflyer (Reply 15):
Doesn't this plane sit at JFK all day? I always seem to see Air India parked there at T4.

The 777-200LR arrives at 7am and does not depart until 9pm, so yes it does sit on a T4 hardstand all day.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Brian Futterman

No Vueling No Party

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos