Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Rockinflyer
Topic Author

More European Carriers For LAX, Near Future?

Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:51 pm

I've read alot of speculation of some European carriers returning to LAX after lengthy absences. AZ (if they survive) and IB being 2 of them by 2009. A return to LAX by SK seems like a good possibility since their partnership with CO thru EWR took them out of there well over a decade ago (revenues were ok at the time, so it wasn't that). LO once had a limited presence for a time as well. Any other info or speculation out there?
AA,AC,AF,BA,BN,BW,CO,DL,FL,F9,HA,KL,NA,PA,RW,TW,UA,WA,WN

flyyul

RE: More European Carriers For LAX, Near Future?

Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:54 pm

AZ could be coming by S08. The problem with LAX is that it often requires 1 and a half airplanes (in terms of pure airplane flight time), and the long haul of the flight reduces overall yield.... but the demand is most certainly there

B747forever

Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:57 pm

Would love to see "new" european carriers in LAX. Í think of AY, SK, IB and AZ especially. AY have for long now talked to serve either SFO or LAX in the future,
Work Hard, Fly Right

Rockinflyer
Topic Author

Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:57 pm

I'm sure when AZ returns, the flight will go to FCO rather than MXP this time.

B747forever

Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:58 pm

Quoting Rockinflyer (Reply 3):
I'm sure when AZ returns, the flight will go to FCO rather than MXP this time.

It will be FCO and not to MXP.
Work Hard, Fly Right

Someone83

Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:01 pm

Quoting Rockinflyer (Thread starter):
A return to LAX by SK seems like a good possibility

Extremely unlikely. With SK starting SFO next year and already flying into SEA do I believe the West
Coast are covered. In addition, yields from Scandinavia to SoCal are notoriously low and LAX are anyway covered through US domestic codesharing with UA.

The routes that probably are on top of SK wish list are CPH-HKG and ARN-NRT

Rockinflyer
Topic Author

Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:57 pm

Just a thought regarding SK, after all, they started trans-polar service long ago to LAX and as a travel manager for several years while SK was at LAX, many of my corporate flyers used SK very frequently because of great conex to Baltic countries and also The Balkans. Sometimes it was impossible to get a Y seat at any time of year LAX-CPH and they'd go J if their administrators would let them. Closed waitlists many times on LAX-CPH too. They also liked CPH because it is so user friendly. I'm not going to rule out LAX just now. SFO does not a covered west coast make.

Rockinflyer
Topic Author

Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:16 am

I'd like to AY back in the California market again too. They seemed to alternate their service between LAX/SFO. FI could do some great leisure business given their low fare structure and convenient KEF conex. Now if they only had the right equipment. Not on a daily basis of course, but budget travelers could fill them up a couple of times week.

LOT767SP-LPA

Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:19 am

LOT will appear in 2009 because weak of planes now

Rockinflyer
Topic Author

Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:24 am

It would be great for LO to get back in the game. I also just remembered TP made a more than valiant effort at LAX due to the large Portugeuse population in SoCal. Especially in SAN. Easy conex through LAX to the Azores and Lisbon.

elmothehobo

Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:21 am

9W is supposed to launch a BRU-LAX service. Though not a European carrier, it'll be the first time that BRU-LAX will be served nonstop.

Falcon Flyer

Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:45 am

Quoting Elmothehobo (Reply 10):
it'll be the first time that BRU-LAX will be served nonstop.

CityBird operated BRU-LAX-BRU on a scheduled basis in '97 and '98 with its MD-11s.
My definition of cool ? Not trying so hard to be cool.

N960AS

Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:46 am

I believe so did VG Airlines or whatever that was with the gray 330s flew LAX-BRU and used DL's T5...if I can remember.

LAXintl

Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:47 am

VG/Delsey Airlines also operated BRU-LAX
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

sandrozrh

Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:54 am

Quoting Rockinflyer (Reply 7):
FI could do some great leisure business given their low fare structure and convenient KEF conex. Now if they only had the right equipment. Not on a daily basis of course, but budget travelers could fill them up a couple of times week.

Wait for FI's 787s to come online, it'll open a whole new range of possible destinations, and i'm sure that LAX is high up on the list.

Rockinflyer
Topic Author

Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:16 am

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 14):

FI would be a great addition to LAX. Especially if they're getting 787s. EI is doing well too especially with lower fares and great service. I belive they are the only A330 carrier at LAX as of right now.

eghansen

Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:29 am

Quoting Rockinflyer (Reply 9):
I also just remembered TP made a more than valiant effort at LAX due to the large Portugeuse population in SoCal. Especially in SAN. Easy conex through LAX to the Azores and Lisbon.

Actually, the connection through LA is terrible. I live in SAN and the only time I fly international from LAX is if I drive up there (120 miles) and park my car for $10 per day. I usually do this on Asia flights.

The only service SAN-LAX are American Eagle and Skywest commuter flights and the prices are very high. There is no convenient bus, train or vanpool service at all. When traveling to Europe I always connect somewhere in the East (ORD/DFW/IAH/JFK/DTW/EWR/etc), never in LAX.
Nowadays, it is hard to tell when the commercials end and real life begins

AlitaliaMD11

Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:10 am

Quoting Rockinflyer (Reply 15):
I belive they are the only A330 carrier at LAX as of right now.

LTU.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Josh May

Another carrier that is doing well at LAX.
No Vueling No Party

laca773

Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:34 am

If all this additional new service from Europe to LAX materializes, I have one big question to ask. Where are they going to operate from? As I remember isn't TBIT an absolute mess and terribly overcrowded?
Will they setup some temporary remote stands to handle the additional flights?
How many additional gates will TBIT have when they finish this addition if it does happen?
Are all TBIT gates fully operational now?

LACA773

LAXdude1023

Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:21 am

We keep hearing about AZ doing LAX-FCO as well as 9W doing LAX-BRU. I think 9W is almost a certainty, I have my doubts about AZ.

If AY decides to come to the West coast, it will be to LAX not SFO. By the same token dont look for SK anytime soon at LAX. They just announced SFO and I doubt LAX will come on.

I would like to see IB come on board, its not that out of the question, but I dont know of any plans they have to come here.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

CPH-R

Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:06 am

Quoting Someone83 (Reply 5):
Extremely unlikely. With SK starting SFO next year and already flying into SEA do I believe the West
Coast are covered. In addition, yields from Scandinavia to SoCal are notoriously low and LAX are anyway covered through US domestic codesharing with UA.

Not to mention that their longhaul fleet is stretched thin with the current & future schedules. If they want to add, they'll either have to reduce frequencies or add planes. And given that they've decided to replace all the Dash's, I doubt it's their immediate intention to add more longhaul jets.

N1120A

Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:18 am

Quoting Eghansen (Reply 16):

Actually, the connection through LA is terrible.

It isn't if you are flying UA or AA, the two largest carriers at the airport. In fact, the connections with those two are easier than at most big hubs.

There is no convenient bus, train or vanpool service at all.

Absolutely and totally untrue. There is hourly train service between San Diego and Los Angeles with a single express bus connection to LAX. It is often far faster to do this than to drive.

The only service SAN-LAX are American Eagle and Skywest commuter flights and the prices are very high.

No they aren't. If you try to fly local, yes, but people rarely do that because the train and cars are quicker and more practical. Booking connections are often negligible in the price difference.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Kevin777

Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:33 pm

Quoting Rockinflyer (Thread starter):
A return to LAX by SK seems like a good possibility since their partnership with CO thru EWR took them out of there well over a decade ago

No way.... at best very unlikely

Quoting FLYYUL (Reply 1):
The problem with LAX is that it often requires 1 and a half airplanes (in terms of pure airplane flight time), and the long haul of the flight reduces overall yield....

Indeed - it's a significantly longer flight than for instance EWR, requiring more airtime (=more plane capacity), more fuel and a bigger payroll. You can add 50+ % to all those. But search for air fares between Europe and NYC versus LAX - LAX fares might be 15-20 % more expensive, that's it. So, relatively speaking, a very low yield city to fly to.

Quoting B747forever (Reply 2):
AY have for long now talked to serve either SFO or LAX in the future,

With all respect for AY's impressive long-haul expansion in recent years, I think LAX/SFO would be totally off - from the furthest north-east corner of Europe to the furthest south-west corner of the US, with fairly limited O&D - doubt the viability of this in the long run!

Quoting Someone83 (Reply 5):

Spot on... exciting to see whether SK will keep SEA btw...

Regards,

Kevin777  Wink
"I was waiting for you at DFW, but you must have been in LUV" CPH-HAM-CPH CR9

upperdeckfan

Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:49 pm

If IB and AY actually start serving LAX, the recently opened OW lounge at TBIT isn't going to be large enough to acommodate all OW carriers.

I was there in early November and it was absolutely jam packed from 1600 to 2100
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

B747forever

Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:58 pm

Quoting Kevin777 (Reply 22):
With all respect for AY's impressive long-haul expansion in recent years, I think LAX/SFO would be totally off

I dont think so. AY have often talk about a connection between LAX and their Indian market.
Work Hard, Fly Right

Kevin777

Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:17 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 24):
Quoting Kevin777 (Reply 22):
With all respect for AY's impressive long-haul expansion in recent years, I think LAX/SFO would be totally off

I dont think so. AY have often talk about a connection between LAX and their Indian market.

Well, firstly AY's Asian expansion has 100 % been focused on Europe-Asia traffic, not US-Asia traffic. Look at the horrible connecting times if you're going with AY from JFK to Asia or the other way around. AY's US traffic is almost entirely HEL / HEL-region based O&D to/from the US (onwards from JFK with AA).

Secondly - look at the market between India and the US: Capacity has exploded recently! Granted, it's a large market, but still, you gotta be very careful to enter this with that yield environment. Entering from LA would not make things easier at all! They can enter relatively "free of charge" from JFK / East Coast US because there's lots of O & D, and therefore they already have that flight. But starting LAX based on connecting traffic US-India (/Asia)? Very poor decision IMO..!

Regards,

Kevin777  Smile

baw716

Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:57 pm

Quoting FLYYUL (Reply 1):
AZ could be coming by S08. The problem with LAX is that it often requires 1 and a half airplanes (in terms of pure airplane flight time), and the long haul of the flight reduces overall yield.... but the demand is most certainly there

It's a two aircraft operation, period. Both SFO/LAX from FCO or MXP are two aircraft operations because of the flight times. Westbound to LAX is 12.5 hours (I've done it from MXP...it's a looong flight); SFO is 12 to 12.5), eastbound in the winter is usually 11 to 11.5...as high as 12. So using 12 hrs westbound and 11 hrs eastbound, 23 hrs is the total "in the air" time, then you have to add the time at the out station (2 hours minimum)...so you are at 25 hrs. As a rule, a one aircraft operation doesn't go with one aircraft unless the longest flight time is under 22 hours total. This allows three hours at the turn station for maintenance work (that is always done after a long flight....you know, the "service station" check?...lift the hood, check the oil and fluids, kick the tires, flush the lavs and check the vacuum system, etc etc).

Also, as AZ only has two engined aircraft, you have ETOPS limitation; assuming the 777 is used, then ETOPS 180 is applied, if the 767 is used ETOPS 138 is mandatory (the 767 at AZ is not approved for ETOPS 180 due to the age of some of its aircraft).

I hope they come back, but frankly, they have bigger issues...if AF/KL successfully takes them over and is able to make them the carrier that I believe they can be, then having them back on the west coast would be a good thing.

baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

LAXdude1023

Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:14 pm

Quoting Kevin777 (Reply 25):
Secondly - look at the market between India and the US: Capacity has exploded recently! Granted, it's a large market, but still, you gotta be very careful to enter this with that yield environment. Entering from LA would not make things easier at all! They can enter relatively "free of charge" from JFK / East Coast US because there's lots of O & D, and therefore they already have that flight. But starting LAX based on connecting traffic US-India (/Asia)? Very poor decision IMO..!

Its not just India, but HEL would provide a good connection to Eastern Europe, Russia and the Scandinavian countries as well. I see no reason that CPH-SFO is viable and LAX-HEL wouldnt be (at least on the American side of it). LAX has a large OneWorld precence as well.

GatoVolador

Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:22 pm

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 19):

I would like to see IB come on board, its not that out of the question, but I dont know of any plans they have to come here.

Good news: Iberia is very interested in California (LAX and/or SFO). The have already said that they would be glad to fly there and that they plan to do so in the "near" future. As you probably know, Iberia is on the way to double their long haul fleet, and new airports in the US are being targeted, since the US are one of the three growing poles, together with Eastern Europe and Latin America.

The big issue is that the British Airways takeover stopped any plan in Iberia for almost a year. Now the takeover was abandoned, but they still have to build a stable group of shareholders. So as you see, everything is in "stand-by" mode, and actually the issue of the fleet is one of them.

Iberia is very short of long-haul aircrafts. They had to urgently proceed to an increase of 10 A340 from the market of second handed aircrafts and they bought some brand-new (options) as well from other airlines, because the market was shouting them "Iberia buy more aircrafts, there's no time to loose, you can't stay more time like this". Despite of this, what is clear is that in the following months IB will sign a contract with Airbus in order to purchase more A340 or A330/A350, plus some A380 or B747-8i to cover the most dense routes. Up to this moment, Iberia will not be able to increase the flights to anywhere.

The good part of the story is that AA and IB sent to the US & European authorities a document asking for anti-trust immunity, in order to share frequencies and profits in the US-Spain market. The answer is expected by January / February, so... it's feasible that in 2008, American and Iberia will expand in the US quite a lot. So... I'd expect a California-Madrid flight "soon", either operated by AA or by IB.

What is sure is that some of the new planes will go there. In 2008 some "new" A340 are expected to come, so it's possible that the LAX flight come finally true. However, the lack of A340 makes it difficult, as LAX is that far away that you need more than 1 aircraft to cover the route, and our colleagues said before.

andaman

Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:16 pm

Quoting Kevin777 (Reply 25):

Well, firstly AY's Asian expansion has 100 % been focused on Europe-Asia traffic, not US-Asia traffic. Look at the horrible connecting times if you're going with AY from JFK to Asia or the other way around.
Regards,

Kevin777

AY have some plans for the North-America - Asia traffic in coming years, from their press release:
...."Finnair will pursue its growth strategy based on increasing demand in the traffic between Europe and Asia and in the future also in the traffic between North America and Asia as well."
About the connection times: of course they will make the timetables match, if they offer a new product like that  Wink.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

LAXdude1023

Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:17 pm

Quoting GatoVolador (Reply 28):
Good news: Iberia is very interested in California (LAX and/or SFO). The have already said that they would be glad to fly there and that they plan to do so in the "near" future. As you probably know, Iberia is on the way to double their long haul fleet, and new airports in the US are being targeted, since the US are one of the three growing poles, together with Eastern Europe and Latin America.

It would be great to have IB at LAX. If IB comes to the West Coast, LAX would be a better fit than SFO. I would expect new One World and Skyteam members to be more interested in LAX while new Star Alliance members to be more interested in SFO (Ex. SK).

I for one would be thrilled to have IB here.

By the way, does anybody know if/when 9W will set a start date here?

JRDC930

Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:17 pm

Not to bash SFO, but i wish airlines more airlines would consider flying to LAX rather than SFO, given the size of the population in SoCal that is forced to fly god awful connections when airlines choose SFO a significantly smaller city to serve; and screw the socal population. Secondly it would be great if SK and or AY came back, so i wouldn't have to make 1000 connections just to get to CPH, at the most horrible airports in the world, but as many point out here, the yields just arent there. I really think the most likely options are LO, AZ and possibly IB. It suck that LAX gets the short end of the stick in terms of non-stop european service, just because of its lousy geographical position.  Sad
U.S. Legacy carriers,STILL leaders in lowering industry standards...

Rockinflyer
Topic Author

Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:48 pm

Actually, the connection through LA is terrible. I live in SAN and the only time I fly international from LAX is if I drive up there (120 miles) and park my car for $10 per day. I usually do this on Asia flights.

The only service SAN-LAX are American Eagle and Skywest commuter flights and the prices are very high. There is no convenient bus, train or vanpool service at all. When traveling to Europe I always connect somewhere in the East (ORD/DFW/IAH/JFK/DTW/EWR/etc), never in LAX.

This was well over a decade ago when TP flew into LAX and the conex were awesome! Not only Eagle, but skywest, and a few mainlines still operating at the time. There are still so many flights SAN-LAX you can connect to anything. The price of the SAN-LAX leg was always included in the ticket price when connecting to TP. Booked it all the time as a travel manager.

elmothehobo

Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:47 pm

Quoting Falcon flyer (Reply 11):
CityBird operated BRU-LAX-BRU on a scheduled basis in '97 and '98 with its MD-11s.

Mm I stand corrected. Either way, it's good to have a link to Brussels.

Quoting Rockinflyer (Reply 15):
I belive they are the only A330 carrier at LAX as of right now.

And Qantas from Auckland a few times a week, though I'm not sure if they've started yet.

Rockinflyer
Topic Author

Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:54 pm

BRU would be a great addition for nonstop service from LAX! I just remembered another carrier that once was a regular sight at LAX and that was RJ. LAX-AMS-AMM on L-1011-500's. What a great c/s to grace LAX! I doubt if they'd be back anytime time soon though.

Rockinflyer
Topic Author

Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:56 pm

Quoting AlitaliaMD11 (Reply 17):
LTU.

I forgot about LTU.

Kevin777

Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:01 pm

Quoting Andaman (Reply 29):
AY have some plans for the North-America - Asia traffic in coming years, from their press release:
...."Finnair will pursue its growth strategy based on increasing demand in the traffic between Europe and Asia and in the future also in the traffic between North America and Asia as well."

Okay, I stand corrected in this matter! ...But I'd still see this happen before I believe it - right now it's still nothing more than press-release-corporate hot air...

Quoting Andaman (Reply 29):
About the connection times: of course they will make the timetables match, if they offer a new product like that

he he of course... But I was just referring to the current schedule of AY, which definitely is not targeted at US-Asia traffic... neither is SK's btw...

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 31):
Secondly it would be great if SK and or AY came back, so i wouldn't have to make 1000 connections just to get to CPH,

Well, to be fair you have 15+ onestop possibilities to CPH.... AY wouldn't be better here, of course...

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 31):
but as many point out here, the yields just arent there

Exactly... and money talks!.

Kevin777  Smile

teme82

Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:07 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 2):
Í think of AY

Quoting Rockinflyer (Reply 7):
I'd like to AY back in the California market again too

you two will have to wait until AY gets some A350's on their fleet. Then they got the hardware to go LAX  Smile
Flying high and low

Rockinflyer
Topic Author

Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:10 pm

It just seems to me, that if SU can operate to LAX year round then SK, AY etc... could do it oo. (although I suspect SU is probably heavily subsidized. That could be the reason.)

eghansen

Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:42 pm

Have you ever been to San Diego? I have lived here and flown out of her my entire life and have no idea what you are talking about.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 21):
It isn't if you are flying UA or AA, the two largest carriers at the airport. In fact, the connections with those two are easier than at most big hubs.

This is somewhat true. However, until recently, the only city served from LAX was LHR on both UA and AA. UA will be adding service to FRA. But if I wish to travel to Rome, Madrid, Zurich, Vienna, Amsterdam, Paris, Copenhagen, etc. etc. then I am back to connecting in DFW/ATL/JFK/EWR/ORD. For example in January, I will be traveling SAN-JFK-TXL-JFK-SAN on DL. There is no convenient connection through LAX that compares.

Absolutely and totally untrue. There is hourly train service between San Diego and Los Angeles with a single express bus connection to LAX. It is often far faster to do this than to drive.

To use the train I would have to take a taxi to the train station in San Diego ($30 round trip), take a train which takes 2 hr 45 m to Union Station in LA ($58 round trip), a bus from Union Station to LAX which takes 45 minutes ($6 round trip).

Total travel time with 15 minute wait time at the train station at either end: 4 hr 30 min. Cost $95 with two transfers of my luggage. Sorry, but I think I will keep driving to LAX.

No they aren't. If you try to fly local, yes, but people rarely do that because the train and cars are quicker and more practical. Booking connections are often negligible in the price difference.

Sorry, but the cheapest way for me to travel to Europe has always been through a midwestern or eastern hub, not LAX. That is why I am flying to Berlin through JFK, not LAX

Quoting Rockinflyer (Reply 32):
This was well over a decade ago when TP flew into LAX and the conex were awesome! Not only Eagle, but skywest, and a few mainlines still operating at the time. There are still so many flights SAN-LAX you can connect to anything. The price of the SAN-LAX leg was always included in the ticket price when connecting to TP. Booked it all the time as a travel manager.

Years ago, many mainline transcontinental flights would fly into LAX and then continue on to San Diego, such as JFK-LAX-SAN. Often the leg from LAX to SAN would be nearly empty, so you could find a cheap fare. Now with the hubbing networks, this is no longer done.

andaman

Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:46 pm

Quoting Kevin777 (Reply 36):

Okay, I stand corrected in this matter! ...But I'd still see this happen before I believe it - right now it's still nothing more than press-release-corporate hot air...

Yes of course just a business plan, depending on many things, on the future market situation especially. The JFK-HEL-India product could be fixed rather quickly, technically speaking.Their HEL-JFK route will probably get new metal (A333) in 2009, some news by that perhaps. Hardly anything will happen in US West before they get A350, as mentioned above.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

LAXintl

Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:50 pm

Quoting Eghansen (Reply 39):
There is no convenient connection through LAX that compares.

You consider the multiple daily BA, AF, LH services at LAX (not to mention KL, SR etc also) and their multiple onward connection opportunities to TXL?

Additional bonus is no risk of snow in LA like JFK!

Rockinflyer
Topic Author

Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:01 pm

Quoting Eghansen (Reply 39):
Have you ever been to San Diego? I have lived here and flown out of her my entire life and have no idea what you are talking about.

Yes lived there 13 years. Employed by Balboa Travel for 12 years just across from the runway at Laurel and Kettner. SAN is easy. I qualify as knowing what I'm talking about. Spotted a/c at the end of the runway constantly until 9/11. Either you're planning complex travel on your own (using an angency can solve that) or consolidator fares that require you to get to the gateway city on your own. There was and is no end to the conex possibilties from SAN thru LAX. I'm quite well versed on SAN.

eghansen

Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:06 pm

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 41):
You consider the multiple daily BA, AF, LH services at LAX (not to mention KL, SR etc also) and their multiple onward connection opportunities to TXL?

Additional bonus is no risk of snow in LA like JFK!

I am sure that there a ways to connect through LAX, but my fare through JFK was on $550 roundtrip. Plus, with the miles I earn on Delta, I will have enough to fly to EZE next summer for free.....

I didn't say that you couldn't connect through LAX, just that it is usually cheaper to do it somewhere else.

I almost have the whole Europe trip down to a science. I leave SAN at 7:05 am, so the plane will be on time because it is RON. I arrive at JFK at 15:24 and leave for TXL at 19:30, so I am fairly sure myself and my bag will connect. Coming back, I have only 90 minutes to connect, but since I am coming home and not into LAX, if my bag gets lost, Delta can deliver it to my house. If I have to spend the night, I can take the subway into Manhattan, have some fun and leave JFK 24 hours later.

Knock on wood, I have never been misconnected or lost a bag since I plan for the worst. I am waiting for it to happen.

shane

Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:13 pm

Didn't they go to OAK too?

LAXintl

Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:14 pm

Quoting Eghansen (Reply 43):

With an estimated 20-30% of San Diego's air travel needs being provided by Los Angeles area airports, thank you for your willingness to find other travel options. Your decisions directly helps cut down on our road and airport congestion.

signed
Citizens of Metro LA  bigthumbsup 

eghansen

Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:24 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 45):
With an estimated 20-30% of San Diego's air travel needs being provided by Los Angeles area airports, thank you for your willingness to find other travel options. Your decisions directly helps cut down on our road and airport congestion.

We were only talking about LAX-Europe.

Now, Asia is another story altogether......my favorite parking lot at LAX for Asia trips is the city-owned employee lot on the southwest corner. The bus service is very frequent and only $8 per day. But you have to check your car because the City of LA will give you a $25 ticket for not having a front license plate.

LAXintl

Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:15 pm

Quoting Eghansen (Reply 46):
Now, Asia is another story altogether

Cant we tempt you with lots of connection options via other Pacific gateways such as SFO or YVR? Even get a few added FF miles by flying via SFO  Smile

Quoting Eghansen (Reply 46):
City of LA will give you a $25 ticket for not having a front license plate

They must know you're out of town. In near 20 years of parking at LAX (or anywhere else in LA) never experienced ticket for no front licence plates.

Speaking of being out of town, the airport staff are due to report in the new year on their proposed fee on out of town users of LAX. LAX Looks To "charge" Orange County Passengers (by LAXintl Oct 20 2007 in Civil Aviation) LAX Considers Toll Charge For Vehicles (by Laxintl Aug 18 2007 in Civil Aviation)
I've heard they have come up with some creative solutions that should withstand any court challenges and are used by government agencies whom provide services across multi jurisdictions along with private enterprise that price things according to residency.

Rockinflyer
Topic Author

Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:51 pm

Quoting Eghansen (Reply 43):
I am sure that there a ways to connect through LAX, but my fare through JFK was on $550 roundtrip. Plus, with the miles I earn on Delta, I will have enough to fly to EZE next summer for free.....

I didn't say that you couldn't connect through LAX, just that it is usually cheaper to do it somewhere else.

I almost have the whole Europe trip down to a science. I leave SAN at 7:05 am, so the plane will be on time because it is RON. I arrive at JFK at 15:24 and leave for TXL at 19:30, so I am fairly sure myself and my bag will connect. Coming back, I have only 90 minutes to connect, but since I am coming home and not into LAX, if my bag gets lost, Delta can deliver it to my house. If I have to spend the night, I can take the subway into Manhattan, have some fun and leave JFK 24 hours later.

Knock on wood, I have never been misconnected or lost a bag since I plan for the worst. I am waiting for it to happen.

SAN has a very nice commuter terminal, I might add. Full of RJ's and other craft. I'd rather go through LAX (and I'm no big fan of LAX) than JFK any day.

Falcon Flyer

Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:28 am

Quoting Shane (Reply 44):
Didn't they go to OAK too?

Roger that.
My definition of cool ? Not trying so hard to be cool.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos