Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

c172akula
Topic Author

RE: Iberia To YYC

Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:07 pm

Quoting FLYYUL (Reply 47):
People need to read.. its such an easy thing to do

I agree fully, there has been enough humour in this thread as is. Now we have people jumping in without reading the whole thing!

Quoting Threepoint (Reply 44):
And breathing room is what you will get. It's a very welcome situation for many residents. I know intimately what the economy of Calgary revolves around, and I'm happy you are in a position to survive a major downturn. Unfortunately, many thousands in Calgary are not.

I agree with you on these points completely Threepoint, I see friends pissing away "good times" money and will feel absolutely no sorrow for them when they can't support the lifestyle they have now.

The Columbia, Kootenays and especially Okanagan. Prosperous times for a select few, yes. Unsustainable changes and expenses for better than 2/3 of the residents too. Try spending time in the Columbia Valley my friend. Talk to the locals. Those are the ones who are there after Labour Day. Buy them a coffee and prepare to have a few of your assumptions altered. Nobody resents your collective success. They resent the manner in which that success is altering their lives, their towns and the ability of their kids to prosper locally.

I've spent quite a lot of time in the Columbia Valley, since '89 and my family and myself do make time to be there not just during the peak season. However some of those towns and resorts have allowed the problems to be created by the environment they created. Whereas others have created some fantastic business' and watching their success is amazing.

You and I are too young to know first-hand what happened in 1981. But today's Alberta economy is really not that much more diversified than it was then. There may not be a 'bust' in the next few months. But the days of heady unrestrained growth are very hopefully coming to an end soon. Then watch BA, LH and even MX contemplate reducing or withdrawing service. Again, in some cases.

Agreed, I was too young back then but my father wasn't and managed to get a barely year old company through those dark days. It's those values that we still hold onto and practice to this very day. Of course I think the days of a bust may be a little behind us due to world events, but the slowdown is here and it is a good thing.

So anyways, airplanes and stuff. Yeah Big grin Mexicana is no Iberia, but hell it is another tail around YYC. I guess my excitement of getting to see a 340 skid off our runway will have to wait. Yup, I went there.

threepoint

Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:30 pm

Quoting C172Akula (Reply 50):
Mexicana is no Iberia

And too bad it's no longer a Star carrier either, although it will be nice for Albertans to have the option of flying to South America without having to dogleg through YVR, YYZ or transit the US.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

Edmonchuck

Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:37 pm

This is just too funny. I normally heavily dislike the sun, but now, it is full on HATE!!!! The route sounded funny, but I waited to see the actual press release. You never know what is happening sometimes...and the SUN NEVER EVER EVER knows what it is talking about.

pzurita1

Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:46 pm

Quoting Tuffer (Reply 37):
MEX was a bit of a hole in the Calgary network so it is good to see a non-stop flight from one of the Mexican airlines.

And there is a second Mexican carrier cooking a flight from YYC to a couple of Mexican destinations. All I can say is they fly very good looking a/c.

pZ
Next flight: IAH-DBX-MRU-ANT

c172akula
Topic Author

Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:50 pm

Quoting Pzurita1 (Reply 53):
And there is a second Mexican carrier cooking a flight from YYC to a couple of Mexican destinations. All I can say is they fly very good looking a/c.

Didn't Aeromexico operate some flights into YYC this last summer? I seem to recall seeing them on the ARR/DEP boards on the website.

Quoting Edmonchuck (Reply 52):
This is just too funny. I normally heavily dislike the sun, but now, it is full on HATE!!!!

You know this article actually made it into todays paper as well? I just saw the copy with my own eyes, on page 3 no less. Idiots, absolute idiots. I would really doubt that someone else messed the airline or country up, it had to be the Sun. Then the Herald swoops in and makes them look like the third rate fishwrap they are.

worldrider

Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:38 pm

Quoting Accargo (Reply 6):
Did they get a new shipment of Kelowna Gold to smoke?

i guess "new laboratory" made hey??  cutie 

worldrider

Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:52 pm

all first class flight to MAD with maintenance in IBizaaa  Cool guaranteed ? Carrammba!!!

BO__einG

Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:41 am

Well don't I feel like an idiot.
I didn't have time to read the posts not even to skim it as I was too overly excited.
Dam, Well I guess I will save that excitement until the future when some other international carrier makes an announcement via a credible source.

Calgary Sun is no longer a credible source..

Mexicana is still good. They used to fly here in charters years back and of course AeroMexico more recently so I see this as something that makes sense and also long awaited since there are tons of flights outta Calgary to various places in the Yucatan/Baha areas.
I guess YYC-MEX would be a new one entirely since that seems pretty business focused.

Overall, at least there was a new scheduled airline service so I'm still happy.
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

multimark

Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:08 am

I guess the labour shortage is making it difficult for the Calgary Sun to hire good journalists. Confusing Iberia and Mexicana? Good grief.

scrumpy492003

Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:47 am

Yes, Aeromexico did come in hare last summer, quite a few times!!

I followed the link on our TV station website, to mexicana, to their fleet.

It lists the Airbus fleet one by one, with 2 pilots and 4 Flight attendants,
then goes to the B757-200 with 1 pilot and 1 flight attendant!!

Something amiss there, methinks!!

20 years ago, the Mexicans wouldn't fly AeroMexico, because something had given it a bad name, yet, was it last year or so, that they were taken over and now have new equipment etc. ?

Now Mexicana, I wonder IF they will cover Ski season as well as peak summer?

Now,
re: The Calgary Sun!!
When Captain Kirk (Al Molnar) first started flying traffic watch, I was his pilot. In May, we took the photographer up with us, gave him the story, and in Mid July it was printed. MY PICTURE and his name. The Sun had to write an apology for that, I just chuckled,

I don't buy OR read The Calgary Sun!!
peter b95 c-ghfu

BO__einG

Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:12 am

^
I do look at the sunshine girls. Oftentimes that will be the only reason why I will poke around in the Sun.  Smile
Otherwise relating to this frenzy, it was on the news this evening and correctly identified Mexicana as the carrier that will serve Calgary. Some ceremony in the city hall with the mayor giving MX' president a cowboy hat and the president giving our mayor a A320 model from Hogan or one of the brands.
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

AR385

Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:33 am

Quoting Scrumpy492003 (Reply 59):
20 years ago, the Mexicans wouldn't fly AeroMexico, because something had given it a bad name, yet, was it last year or so, that they were taken over and now have new equipment etc. ?

20, 30 or 40 years ago, nobody in Mexico had issues about flying AeroMexico. Mexicana and AeroMexico have been great airlines and the first in Latin America to be authorized by the FAA to perform maintenance on American planes. In both airlines the rejuvenation of the fleet started when they both were still in government hands. While private now, the process is just a continuation.

It is a real shame that a newspaper in Calgary mixes up not only airlines but also countries. It reflects prejudicial and careless journalism at that. Just because Spanish is spoken in both countries is hardly an excuse. I hope that in other places around Canada, media has at least some primary school knowledge that Spain is in Europe and Mexico is in America. I also hope that this newspaper's incredible mistake is not a reflection of Canadians' geographic awareness but just the reflection of some 4th rate "fishwrap'" editorial quality.

At least here in Mexico, we know that in Quebec you speak French and in the the rest of the Federation you speak English.

I can hardly imagine a newspaper in Mexico announcing flights from Quebec City to MEX on Air France while the correct announcement would be from CDG to MEX. After all, in both places you speak French right?

Stupid, stupid mistake. Plain ignorance, dumb and simple.

jamincan

Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:32 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 61):
It is a real shame that a newspaper in Calgary mixes up not only airlines but also countries. It reflects prejudicial and careless journalism at that. Just because Spanish is spoken in both countries is hardly an excuse.

Obviously it reflects careless journalism; anyone who expected more out of the Sun newspapers is grossly misguided. One newspaper's shoddy journalism doesn't necessarily make it prejudicial. The reasons for the error are just speculation on our part, and I think it is rather hasty to start questioning Canadian geographic awareness as a result. I can assure you that the vast majority of Canadians know the difference between Mexico and Spain, and those who don't are likely too young to know.

aircatalonia

Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:18 pm

hey, bob, will ya write the article about the spanish airline?

yeah, I'll do dat!

[Bob goes google "spanish airline"]

There you are: Mexicana becomes Iberia  Smile

FLYACYYZ

Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:47 pm

I can just see the headlines in the Calgary Sun travel section --

"THERE's A NEW SOMBRERO IN THE SKY"

Mexicana, featuring top-notch In-Flight Service.
*Complementary hot meals
*Complementary bar service
*Highly skilled bilingual crews - conversant in English and Mexican.  gasp 
Above and Beyond

threepoint

Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:56 pm

I also hope that this newspaper's incredible mistake is not a reflection of Canadians' geographic awareness

It isn't. Yet. Standards are eroding. As can be evidenced by the fact the Sun even has a devoted readership.

At least here in Mexico, we know that in Quebec you speak French and in the the rest of the Federation you speak English.

For the most part, yes. It isn't that simple. But close enough.

Quoting Jamincan (Reply 62):
The reasons for the error are just speculation on our part,

The word (straight from the columnist's work email) is that he was "fed a bad source" and that "nobody feels more badly then he". Perhaps that's true, but my impression of a journalist's duties included rigourous fact-checking and an eye for detail. I hope this error sharpens our correspondent.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

Viscount724

Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:57 am

After all, in both places you speak French right?

Not quite. There are significant French-speaking communities in several other parts of Canada. I believe the province of New Brunswick is still the only officially bilingual province.

Quoting BO__einG (Reply 57):
I guess YYC-MEX would be a new one entirely since that seems pretty business focused.

I doubt there is much business traffic between YYC and Mexico.

It's also not the first YYC-MEX scheduled service. CP Air operated YYC-MEX nonstop with DC-8s as long ago as the 1960s and '70s, although only once a week. One of their YVR-MEX-LIM-SCL-EZE flights stopped in YYC once a week for several years. In fact, a CP YYC-MEX DC-8 in 1970 was the first flight I was ever bumped off as a non-rev passenger.

[Edited 2007-12-12 18:59:33]

drgmobile

Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:20 am

It's not "YYC hate," it's folks with industry experience challenging suggestions from folks who don't seem to base their assertions on anything solid. As somebody said, there may be some Iberia charters coming into YYC behind the story. But it just doesn't make sense for a network carrier from Europe to come into Canada through Calgary before Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver....or maybe even elsewhere first. Air carriers have more than nice, well thought out ideas about markets that might make sense....they have hard numbers that are not readily available to the general public. Canadian cities other than the biggest three will continue to enjoy growth from international air carriers but at the end of the day foreign air carriers, particularly network carriers, will go to the places that make the most sense (numbers and alliances) first, and then expand beyond that as it makes sense.

evolv

Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:08 am

Quoting Drgmobile (Reply 67):
It's not "YYC hate," it's folks with industry experience challenging suggestions from folks who don't seem to base their assertions on anything solid. As somebody said, there may be some Iberia charters coming into YYC behind the story. But it just doesn't make sense for a network carrier from Europe to come into Canada through Calgary before Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver....or maybe even elsewhere first. Air carriers have more than nice, well thought out ideas about markets that might make sense....they have hard numbers that are not readily available to the general public. Canadian cities other than the biggest three will continue to enjoy growth from international air carriers but at the end of the day foreign air carriers, particularly network carriers, will go to the places that make the most sense (numbers and alliances) first, and then expand beyond that as it makes sense.

I agree with you on some points. However YYC has just as much of a chance of getting international service as YUL and YVR. I'm going to bet that YYC see's service form Air France and Emirates before YVR. It will also certainly see service from Emirates before YUL and YVR. Iberia did not make a lot of sense for the YYC market that is true but saying YVR and YUL will see service before Calgary is in error. Calgary has become the second most important hub for business and it is creeping up on Toronto very quickly.

A side not for skeptics: Emirates has their Canadian head office in Calgary as Calgary is where most of their cargo originates from

scrumpy492003

Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:25 am

Per post 61 ...

My info regarding the opinions of Mexicana and AeroMexico are from Residents of Guadalajara at that time, 25 years ago.

HOWEVER ...
things can change.

What I do find wrong here is that seemingly the flights from YYC will be going to Mexico City - seemingly as a hub.

Westjet, Air Canada and Air Transat All go directly to the holiday resort cities. IF one is to understand the Mexicana website, then you would have to change at Mexico City and that would add a couple of hours to any flight to the resorts.
SO
To combat that,

the fares would have to be ridiculously LOW.

Otherwise,
What market are they trying for?
Other posts have commented on the lack of business travel - though we do have head offices of Oil Companies in common, BUT that won't fill A/C that often.

You would think that they know what they are doing.

peter
peter b95 c-ghfu

ghost77

Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:23 pm

Quoting Pzurita1 (Reply 53):

What? Really... why not YYZ, YUL or YVR before YYC? The only capable of this due to fleet and seats overcapacity in Mexico and not flying to Canada is AM. I really don't see it working for a second carrier, unless they start a SJD-YYC or CUN-YYC which this last one is already well covered by AC and charters.

irobertson

Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:27 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 66):
Not quite. There are significant French-speaking communities in several other parts of Canada. I believe the province of New Brunswick is still the only officially bilingual province.

Various parts of Nova Scotia, St. Boniface in Winnipeg (huge french community)...

I'd like to see Iberia in YYZ and YUL first before YYC.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos