Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bond007

RE: US Adds Booking Fees To Own Website

Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:29 pm

Quoting USA9195 (Reply 42):
And don't even try to get me to prove that customers who book through US Airways.com use more fuel than passengers booking through another site, because that is a stupid and unrealistic request. I would like to see how you prove it.

I think that's his point!

I think if everyone here understood the discussion, and realized that this 'fuel charge' ONLY applies to USAirways.com, it'd be a lot more productive, rather than a bunch of "it's a fuel charge - live with it" quotes.

If it was a fuel charge, and base fares were the same on USAirways.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline etc. we wouldn't be having this discussion!!!

Jimbo

BA747400

Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:40 pm

Quoting Pgtravel (Thread starter):
Believe it or not, US Airways has now added a $5 booking fee when you buy a ticket on their website

Ya, people said Skybus was bad? Funny, if i book two tickets on US, the "booking fee" alone works out to be the entire cost of my PSM-CMH ticket in July!

PA110

Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:43 pm

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 33):
Well, it hasn't been answered at all. The whole point here is that it is NOT being charged by other websites, that are also adding their booking fee.

OK, I just got to work and had a chance to compare online quotes on US Airways site with an identical booking in Amadeus. The one good thing about US Airways site is it provides a complete detailed breakdown of the fare, making comparisons relatively easy.

Comparison #1
US2774 K 12FEB PHXOAK KZAUSJ2Y
US0003 K 18FEB OAKPHX KXAUSJ2Y

US Airways Site
PHXOAK 96.74 + OAKPHX 92.09 = Total before taxes of 188.83
Amadeus:
PHXOAK 92.09 + OAKPHX 92.09 = Total before taxes of 184.18
Difference: $4.65

Comparison #2
US1411 G 12APR ORDCLT GXA7NA2
US0926 K 13APR CLTORD KXAUNA2

US Airways site
CHICLT 135.81 + CLTCHI 112.56 = Total before taxes $248.37
Amadeus:
CHICLT Q4.65 126.51 + CLTCHI Q4.65 107.91 = total before taxes $243.72
Difference: $4.65

In both cases the OUTBOUND fare component was $4.65 more than priced in Amadeus. $4.65 also happens to be the exact amount of the domestic fuel surcharge.

My guess is that somehow US Airways web interface is double-dipping the fuel surcharge on the outbound leg. This is most likely a technical glitch and NOT intentional. While it doesn't say much for US Airways technical web expertise, it does not appear to be an intentional web based service fee. The DOT requires all fees be itemized and disclosed. If this were a hidden booking fee, US Airways would be leaving itself liable for huge government fines.

SkyTeamTriStar

Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:43 pm

Are they turning into Allegient?
Charging you for almost everything; if not everything.

CoolGuy

Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:30 pm

I thought a fuel surcharge was illegal for U.S. airlines, and would have to be disclosed as a component of the price. Since the price offered on priceline.com is equal to the fare plus taxes, it's clear that this is a $5 booking fee that is not disclosed. I wonder if it is illegal for US Airways to hide such a surcharge.

In any case, I have decided to include US Airways on my list of banned airlines through January 1, 2010.

ANother

Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:37 pm

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 47):
Sorry but you are totally wrong!

Apparently I was, it is not a booking fee, it is a fuel surcharge.

But the polite way to say so would have been along the lines of 'I'm of a different view', or 'perhaps you haven't considered all of the facts'

There is no reason to be rude.

EXAAUADL

Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:03 pm

Quoting Pgtravel (Thread starter):
Believe it or not, US Airways has now added a $5 booking fee when you buy a ticket on their website (or through reservations for that matter). You might not notice it, because they've just gone and buried it in the base fare

Quoting BA744PHX (Reply 2):
sooooo whats the big deal? are you really going to cry over $5?

no incentive to NOT use Expedia then.

PA110

Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:25 pm

Quoting CoolGuy (Reply 54):
I thought a fuel surcharge was illegal for U.S. airlines, and would have to be disclosed as a component of the price.

No, wrong. It simply has to be disclosed as such.

Quoting CoolGuy (Reply 54):
In any case, I have decided to include US Airways on my list of banned airlines through January 1, 2010.

I'm sure they will miss your business  sarcastic 

Boston92

Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:28 pm

In essence, this is a complete and 100% BOOKING FEE. I don't give a shit if US technically calls it a fuel surcharge because it is a booking fee.

US is charging you a fee to book on usair.com that you will not find anywhere else. You won't be charged if you book at travelocity, orbitz, priceline, US call center, at the airport. Now, I may be stupid, but I would guess that the people who book at orbitz cost the airline the same amount in fuel as the person who buys at usair.com. They are making you pay an additional fee to book at usair.com.

united319

Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:33 pm

So much for this....

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b303/UNITED319/0942239.jpg

PA110

Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:37 pm

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 58):
In essence, this is a complete and 100% BOOKING FEE. I don't give a shit if US technically calls it a fuel surcharge because it is a booking fee.

I almost certain this is a just a temporary technical glitch. A comparison of the fare breakdowns seems to indicate that their web interface is inadvertently double-dipping the $4.65 fuel surcharge on the outbound leg of a journey.

As previously stated, all booking fees MUST be disclosed.

Boston92

Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:49 pm

Quoting PA110 (Reply 60):
As previously stated, all booking fees MUST be disclosed.

Not if you call it a fuel surcharge. And double dipping the fuel surcharge is as bad or even worse than charging a booking fee.

JRDC930

Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:55 pm

Way to set the standard for the worst airline in the U.S. while its not a big hike, im sure it will endear its already Shi*y image even more by doing this. I guess theur strategy is to charge more for less... briliant.  Yeah sure

Leskova

Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:13 pm

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 61):
Not if you call it a fuel surcharge. And double dipping the fuel surcharge is as bad or even worse than charging a booking fee.

Within the past year, out of the top of my head, we've noticed that, amongst others, the following airlines had misfiled fuel surcharges:

Lufthansa (several times)
Emirates (several times, sometimes for months at a time)
Qantas
British Airways
United Airlines
Air New Zealand
Austrian Airlines
Singapore Airlines
Malaysian Airlines
Japan Airlines

... and I'm probably forgetting a dozen or so - or simply haven't heard about them since I don't work in ticketing any longer.

"Double dipping" can simply happen by misfiling. Should it happen? No. Does it happen? Most certainly.

So what? Book your flight somewhere else and either check with usairways.com next time you're interested or don't. But for some reason, I really do see a fly being turned into an elephant (or even a herd of elephants) here right now...

PA110

Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:18 pm

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 61):

Fuel surcharges exist and they are levied by ALL airlines. It is due to the fact that fuel surcharges can be added or subtracted without having to re-file the entire tariff which is a cumbersome, expensive and time consuming process. THIS IS COMPLETELY LEGAL. The fuel surcharge (at least for U.S. domestic airlines) becomes a de-facto part of the base fare. Due to the limitations of online web applications, it is not always easy to separate out this charge, but it IS reflected in the base fare. Internationally, many (but not all) airlines have chosen to show the surcharge as a separate item, collected separately as if it were an external tax. Both ways are completely legal and have been an acceptable industry practice for over a decade. I'm sorry that it isn't presented in an easier to understand fashion, but it is a way for airlines to raise fares to cover higher fuel costs without having to re-file their tariffs. If they were forced to re-file their tariffs every time fuel prices went up or down, they would also have to raise their fares just to recoup the time and expense of doing so. The fuel surcharge option is a way to cover costs without extra layers of administration.

The double-dipping, I believe is purely a technical glitch. If so, I imagine it will be caught and corrected soon.

Honestly folks, some of you are really starting to sound like the tinfoil hat conspiracy theory brigade. Lighten up for pete sake!

ScottB

Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:36 pm

Quoting PA110 (Reply 52):
My guess is that somehow US Airways web interface is double-dipping the fuel surcharge on the outbound leg. This is most likely a technical glitch and NOT intentional. While it doesn't say much for US Airways technical web expertise, it does not appear to be an intentional web based service fee.

Why exactly is this your assumption? The "technical glitch" also appears for one-way tickets as well. It would seem to me that it is more difficult to publish a fare that fails to show up on return legs of round-trips AND that isn't propagated to the computerized reservations systems.

Quoting BA744PHX (Reply 2):
sooooo whats the big deal? are you really going to cry over $5?

Cry? No. Is it dishonest to claim "no booking fees" and yet charge more in base fare than what gets published to the CRS's? In my opinion, yes. Why would anyone book directly through US Airways when you can get Thank You points from Expedia for the same price?

Quoting John (Reply 21):
Folks, the price of fuel is absolutely ridiculous and it was only a matter of time before the airlines had to pass some of these costs over to the consumer

Raising fares is fine -- that's certainly the airline's prerogative. Fuel surcharges by their nature are ridiculous -- just raise the fare, say you're raising the fare because fuel is more expensive, and be done with it. But don't claim the fare is $X with $Y surcharge -- just say $X+Y to start. I'm fine with the taxes/external fees being added, since I think it does inform the consumer as to the burden of taxation on their tickets (and because the airlines don't typically set the taxes).

bond007

Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:41 pm

Quoting PA110 (Reply 64):
Fuel surcharges exist and they are levied by ALL airlines.

Yes, I think we all know that ... well most airlines anyway.

Again, the point is that this charge is ONLY being applied if you book on USAirways.com.
It's amazing that you can buy your ticket elsewhere for a lower base price, and no surcharge!

After some investigations I guess it isn't a mistake. US Airways are charging the $4.65 + tax charge, when booking via their EDS system only. Agents such as Expedia etc., will not include this charge ... they may include others of course.

So ... to a call it a fuel surcharge is simply nonsense. It's an extra 'system' fee you are charged if booking via their system.

Very odd.

Jimbo

Boston92

Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:45 pm

Quoting PA110 (Reply 64):
Fuel surcharges exist and they are levied by ALL airlines. It is due to the fact that fuel surcharges can be added or subtracted without having to re-file the entire tariff which is a cumbersome, expensive and time consuming process. THIS IS COMPLETELY LEGAL

What's your point? I said that charging the fuel surcharge twice as a glitch is wrong, not the surcharge in the first place.

NwAflyer07

Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:49 pm

Quoting John (Reply 21):
Folks, it's a fuel service charge...How much did you pay to fill up your gas tank today? Did you bitch about that? Folks, the price of fuel is absolutely ridiculous and it was only a matter of time before the airlines had to pass some of these costs over to the consumer...ENJOY your CHEAP ASS FARE and GET OVER IT!

Exactly

Boston92

Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:53 pm

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 67):
So ... to a call it a fuel surcharge is simply nonsense. It's an extra 'system' fee you are charged if booking via their system.

checkmark 

N1120A

Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:01 pm

Quoting John (Reply 21):
ENJOY your CHEAP ASS FARE and GET OVER IT!

Get off this kick about cheap fares. US doesn't have to charge that price, they can charge whatever they want. It happens that the market has spoken and that is what they can charge.

Quoting John (Reply 21):
Folks, it's a fuel service charge.

Quoting USA9195 (Reply 40):
FOR THE LAST TIME IT IS NOT A BOOKING FEE!!!!

Bull. Like said, if it was a fuel surcharge, it would show up when booking with any outlet.

AirNZ

Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:24 am

I have to say I find it extremely interesting that over many, many months many of you there repeatedly claimed that ticket prices need to be higher to protect the beloved, but beleagured, US carriers.....even downing those not-so-well-off who would dare to pay $99 only for a transcon........yet something like this and you're all up in arms because of a mere $5!!
What hypocrisy, and I guess talk's cheap when it comes to impressing!

bond007

Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:43 am

Quoting AirNZ (Reply 72):
I have to say I find it extremely interesting that over many, many months many of you there repeatedly claimed that ticket prices need to be higher to protect the beloved, but beleagured, US carriers.....even downing those not-so-well-off who would dare to pay $99 only for a transcon........yet something like this and you're all up in arms because of a mere $5!!
What hypocrisy, and I guess talk's cheap when it comes to impressing!

Yep, I'm one of those that repeatedly claim ticket prices need to change.

If you had read this thread, you'd see that few people, if any, are complaining about paying "a mere $5"  Yeah sure

Thanks for your delightful insight ... it was a very productive post!

Jimbo

Viscount724

Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:54 am

Quoting Davescj (Reply 29):
And I'll pay in pennies....let them see how much the like counting each and every one.

In many countries, businesses can refuse to accept payment in small coins. In Canada I believe the limit is 25 cents for payment in pennies, and somewhat higher amounts if you pay in coins of other denominations. In the US I believe it's strictly up to the policy of the company. I'm sure most would refuse a payment of more than a small amount if made in pennies, and I think it's legal for them to do so.

bond007

Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:14 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 74):
In many countries, businesses can refuse to accept payment in small coins. In Canada I believe the limit is 25 cents for payment in pennies, and somewhat higher amounts if you pay in coins of other denominations. In the US I believe it's strictly up to the policy of the company. I'm sure most would refuse a payment of more than a small amount if made in pennies, and I think it's legal for them to do so.

If it is payment of an existing debt, then in the US, they would have to accept any denomination.
If you pay at the counter, and they tell you up front (before purchase) that they will only accept certain denominations or types of payment, then that's OK.

Jimbo

fjnovak1

Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:44 am

I got a new slogan idea for US Airways...

Fly with US...were WORSE than Northwest!

MSYPI7185

Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:31 am

Many cannot be reading the article and just making comments to bash US!

The fare increase "applies to all tickets, not individual flights". (direct quote).

It applies to the ticket that is why you see it on the first leg of every itinerary. That is why you see it on one tickets and roundtrip tickets. The reason for the increase in ticket price is fuel. There is no double-dippping or what BS you want to call it.

The company never said it was a fuel surcharge! So it will not be disclosed as such.

Why is it not being charged on other on-line travel sites? I do not know and neither do you unless you know what type of agreements are in place.

I get tired of reading on these boards "I would gladly pay (put you amount here from $1 - $20)" for you name it. Then some people who cannot read and think they know EVERYTHING about what is going on goes nuts over $5.

If you can save $5 on Expedia, etc... then book on Expedia. If the $5 is going to kill ya, you probably have no business flying anyway.

Sorry to be an a**, but this bashing US crap is getting old. Especially since I see very little if any difference between US and some of the other airlines.

bond007

Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:07 pm

Quoting MSYPI7185 (Reply 76):
The reason for the increase in ticket price is fuel

The company never said it was a fuel surcharge!

Hmmmm.... but AGAIN, if it's fuel, how come it's only charged on USAirways.com. I hear what they say, but i's just illogical, that's all.

get tired of reading on these boards "I would gladly pay (put you amount here from $1 - $20)" for you name it. Then some people who cannot read and think they know EVERYTHING about what is going on goes nuts over $5.

If you can save $5 on Expedia, etc... then book on Expedia. If the $5 is going to kill ya, you probably have no business flying anyway.

Sorry to be an a**, but this bashing US crap is getting old. Especially since I see very little if any difference between US and some of the other airlines.

Actually, few people are bashing US. It mostly was an educated discussion about the reasoning behind the charge, and why it is only applied to fares book on USAirways.com. That's exactly what these forums are for, and a valid point !!! If you don't agree, then don't join the thread ... simple.

The term "US bashing" seems to only be posted by those who have no idea what this discussion is about.

It has nothing to do with not wanting to pay the $5, or even the fact that it they increased the fares.

Jimbo

Jimbo

access-air

Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:53 pm

Actually, Allegiant Air charges a booking convenience fee of $8.50 whether you buy the ticket in person, on the phone or online....so quit crying about USAir's fee.....Crab sakes!!!!!!!!

Access-Air

FATFlyer

Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:37 pm

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 78):
Actually, Allegiant Air charges a booking convenience fee of $8.50 whether you buy the ticket in person, on the phone or online....so quit crying about USAir's fee.....Crab sakes!!!!!!!!

Not in person, Allegiant is free of booking fees at the airport. US charges $20 at the airport.

[Edited 2007-12-13 08:39:41]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos