Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SLCUT2777
Topic Author

Delta; $100 Million For ATL Baggage Upgrade

Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:46 pm

Looks as if DL is taking baggage more seriously and are upgrading the system at Hartsfield-Jackson International to the tune of $100 million.
http://www.ajc.com/business/content/...ories/2007/12/13/luggage_1214.html
Will this help their position? Will it help ASA, who has especially been at or on the bottom?
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

1337Delta764

RE: Delta; $100 Million For ATL Baggage Upgrade

Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:56 pm

It looks like the system will be for Concourses T, A, B, and C. However, what about Concourse E? Concourse E is where the bulk of Delta's international flights are, which are the real money makers for Delta. Maybe Delta will have kiosks in the East International Terminal when completed for the international traveleres.

DeltaAVL

Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:03 pm

Now let's hope US jumps on the bandwagon and does the same thing for PHL.
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

Cubsrule

Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:52 pm

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 1):
However, what about Concourse E?

I wonder if they load widebody cans elsewhere now... If so, that would reduce the need for conveyor belts all the way out to E. However, getting local international bags (reclaiming them in the terminal) can take an eternity as it stands now. Perhaps there's just no incentive with the plans for the East Terminal.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

FlyASAGuy2005

Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:37 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 3):
I wonder if they load widebody cans elsewhere now... If so, that would reduce the need for conveyor belts all the way out to E. However, getting local international bags (reclaiming them in the terminal) can take an eternity as it stands now. Perhaps there's just no incentive with the plans for the East Terminal.

Nope. There is a concrouse E bagroom and the cans are loaded there from what I understand
What gets measured gets done.

SkyTeamTriStar

Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:50 am

Managed to see DLs newly redesigned baggage claim No. 1 in Terminal South and am quite amazed on the new look and totally updated 21st Century design. Yes, I realize that its just a new baggage claim but its a real eye-catcher. I'm sure the City of Atlanta had their say in the matter since they own & operate the airport if I'm correct.

deltagator

Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:26 am

Quoting SkyTeamTriStar (Reply 5):
Managed to see DLs newly redesigned baggage claim No. 1 in Terminal South and am quite amazed on the new look and totally updated 21st Century design. Yes, I realize that its just a new baggage claim but its a real eye-catcher.

Please get out a bit more if this excites you.  Wink

They barely look different than what was there IMO. Rubberized "track" around it all instead of the old clanky metal ones. I walked through the other week and thought something looked different but it wasn't that much. They are done with 1-3 right now and have had the plywood around 4 for 2 weeks or so now. Another couple of months and they'll have it all done.

Quoting SkyTeamTriStar (Reply 5):
I'm sure the City of Atlanta had their say in the matter since they own & operate the airport if I'm correct.

Maybe some but a lot of that stuff probably gets left up to Delta as long as they pay their various bribes, kickbacks, and assorted indulgencess from the wonderfully corrupt and criminal City Hall.  Wink
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

FlyASAGuy2005

Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:41 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 6):
Maybe some but a lot of that stuff probably gets left up to Delta as long as they pay their various bribes, kickbacks, and assorted indulgencess from the wonderfully corrupt and criminal City Hall.

Amen to that! Sorry to say it, but Delta (and most of the big corporations in Atlanta) has the city in its pocket.

PiedmontINT

Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:42 am

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 2):
Now let's hope US jumps on the bandwagon and does the same thing for PHL.

My thoughts exactly.

Although this is a very good and smart move by DL. PHL definitely gets a bad wrap as far as baggage goes (and deservedly so, too) but in my experience and the experiences of alot of the pax that I deal with daily that come on Delta, ATL isn't much better. But at least DL is acknowledging the problem and taking steps to fix it.I mean the place seems to be a black hole for bags just as much as PHL or DEN. I think that sort of gets lost by the wayside with all the US bashing that happens on this board..  duck 

FlyASAGuy2005

Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:54 am

$100 million, HELLO! Couldn't this money have been used in JFK! Am I the only one that feels this way? Yes, ATL is bad but it is not THAT bad. Bag numbers here for Delta are usually mid-range. I think the upgrade could have waited (I use to actually work here for two years on the ramp and in the bag room).

srbmod

Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:08 pm

Quoting PiedmontINT (Reply 8):

You're not kidding about DL @ ATL. They mishandled one of my checked bags back in March and I was originating out of ATL and the flight I was taking was on T.

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 9):
$100 million, HELLO! Couldn't this money have been used in JFK!

That's going to be covered in the near future, as sometime in the next few months they're supposed to have the financing in place to redo their terminals @ JFK, which (most logically) would include the baggage system.

http://www.reuters.com/article/summi...idUSN0621439420071206?pageNumber=1
Delta Comfortable Alone... (by Alitalia744 Dec 7 2007 in Civil Aviation)

cf6ppe

Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:44 am

Quoted from AJC article referenced in the thread starting message:
"Much of the new system is at ramp level or in underground tunnels that have been vacant since Eastern Airlines went under."

I remember attending an all hands meeting where the Frank Borman told us about the new Atlanta Midfield Terminal. One of the things that I remember is that EAL was going to have the underground tunnels to get the bags from T to B and C, etal. Borman (and other EAL planning folks) seemed to be puzzled how the other carriers were going to get their bags between the various terminals - i.e., T, A, B, C, and D - on the ramp surface, somehow dodging all of the other surface traffic.

I seems ironic that the (former EAL bag) tunnels have remained unused for 15+ years and now that they are going to be reactivated.

oh'well...!

Any comments...??

EddieDude

Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:07 pm

This is very good news and I applaud that DL is taking actions to impove customer satisfaction. I hope this investment will pay off, will make it easiers of passengers flying into or out of ATL, and will bring more loyal passengers. However, I also have to wonder, like 1337DL764 mentioned, why this improvement will not be extended to Concourse E as well.

On a different baggage-related matter, I have a question (if no one knows anything or the mods believe this query is out of place, I'll start a new thread). Not too long ago, I read a news article that explained that CO was going to upgrade its baggage system in IAH so as to allow international connecting passengers (i.e., passengers arriving to IAH as the first point of entry into the U.S. and heading to a different U.S. city or to a foreign destination) to head to their respective gate right after going through immigration, without them being required to retrieve their bags and take them through customs. Does anybody know if this upgrade has been completed or, to begin with, whether this report had actually any truth to it? Thanks.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

FlyASAGuy2005

Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:18 pm

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 12):
However, I also have to wonder, like 1337DL764 mentioned, why this improvement will not be extended to Concourse E as well.

My guess would be that the current system that they plan on revitalizing stops at D. E concourse was built in the mid 90's and wouldn't have had the system. The costs would have probably gone through the roof to extend it all the way to E with no infrastructure already in place.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos