Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UAL Bagsmasher
Topic Author

DL 599 Diversion To PHL

Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:14 pm

DL 599 just diverted into PHL. According to the crew, they lost control of the cabin pressurization.

FLLspoter

RE: DL 599 Diversion To PHL

Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:20 pm

How Many more diverson can DL have today?

Joe
FLL justs gets better and better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlueShamu330s

Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:21 pm

Flying around India

A380fo

Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:35 pm

the flight was full and is due to depart PHL at 7pm

United1

Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:59 pm

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL408

There's this one as well.... maybee somone in airline operations can fill us in is this a normal amount of diversions? or are the airlines having a bad 24 hours.

Chuck
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

DLOnur

Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:27 am

There have only been 5 diversion today (mainline):

DL 599 (mechanical--PHL)
DL 670 (WX-BGR)
DL 1844 (WX-BGR)
DL 1777 (WX-BGR)
DL 1465 (medical-ABQ)

That's not bad considering some summer thunderstorms force 50-100 diversions at a time, depending on severity of storms in area of airport.

DL 408 did not divert.
What you believe is what you see.

United1

Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:38 am

Quoting DLOnur (Reply 5):
DL 408 did not divert.

I wonder why flightaware shows it diverting on the 12th into LAS then?
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

gjsint172

Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:28 am

Ok... I just used Delta's web site to check out each flight listed by DLOnur: specific flight is 1777:
Diverted West Palm Beach (PBI)
Gate C3 11:55am
13 Dec Diverted
Boston (BOS)
Gate A21 3:00pm
13 Dec Diverted

City Scheduled Actual City Scheduled Actual
Flight Complete West Palm Beach (PBI)
Gate C3 11:55am
13 Dec 11:51am
13 Dec Bangor (BGR)
Gate 2B 3:15pm
13 Dec 3:30pm
13 Dec
Flight Details

Carrier:
Equipment Type:

Delta
McDonnell Douglas MD-88
Flight Distance:
Travel Time:

1398 miles
3 hr 20 min

First / Business Class Meal:
Coach Class Meal:
Movie:
None
None
No
City Scheduled Actual City Scheduled Actual
Flight Complete Bangor (BGR)
Gate 2B 3:45pm
13 Dec 4:42pm
13 Dec Boston (BOS)
Gate A21 3:00pm
13 Dec 6:45pm
13 Dec

Huh? what the devil do they mean?

GJSINT172

DLOnur

Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:08 am

Flight left PBI at 12:03pm. It diverted to BGR at 3:30pm. It left BGR at 457pm and arrived into BOS at 645pm, 3 hours and 45minutes late.

DLOnur

Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:11 am

Quoting United1 (Reply 6):
I wonder why flightaware shows it diverting on the 12th into LAS then?

DL 408 did divert to LAS on 12DEC due to medical emergency. Not the 13th.

tennis69

Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:57 am

I surely hope the pax (or pax family) has to reimburse the airline for the cost of diversion in case of a medical problem.

airportugal310

Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:40 am

Quoting Tennis69 (Reply 10):
I surely hope the pax (or pax family) has to reimburse the airline for the cost of diversion in case of a medical problem.

What kind of stupid statement is that?

For something out of a passengers total control (ie fighting with crew, being disruptive) then yes...

but for having a heart attack or something?

Yikes you are cruel.
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

tennis69

Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:26 am

Not a stupid statement at all. Why should the airline and the other pax be held hostage because of one person? You have to look at the cost to benefit ratio of the diversion to see if it is fiscally the correct thing to do. Airlines are a business and must take the interest of the many over the interest of the few when making decisions. Diverting for one person without that person reimbursing the cost is a very poor business decision. Sorry, but if I was the person who was ill I would not want to inconvience the other pax and would object to a diversion. But then again, I'm not a selfish person.

DL WIDGET HEAD

Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:37 am

Quoting Tennis69 (Reply 12):
Not a stupid statement at all. Why should the airline and the other pax be held hostage because of one person? You have to look at the cost to benefit ratio of the diversion to see if it is fiscally the correct thing to do. Airlines are a business and must take the interest of the many over the interest of the few when making decisions. Diverting for one person without that person reimbursing the cost is a very poor business decision. Sorry, but if I was the person who was ill I would not want to inconvience the other pax and would object to a diversion. But then again, I'm not a selfish person.

What an absolutely horrible sentiment. Although there is an obvious cost to a medical diversion, it is the right, humane thing to do and gets chalked up to the cost of running a transportation business. If any of my relatives or friends got terribly sick (something very bad or life threatening) while flying, I would hope and expect that the crew would divert and not think about the cost.

Arcrftlvr

Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:02 am

Are you kidding me? That's called ' the cost of doing business.' If there's a medical divert, I'm sure the sick pax didn't intend to cause the divert, so why should they be held financially responsible? That's a pretty idiotic statement.

Arcrftlvr

Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:04 am

fiscally the correct thing to do.

How about the humane thing to do? Screw fiscally responsible...

Sorry, but if I was the person who was ill I would not want to inconvience the other pax and would object to a diversion.

If you were having a heart attack, I'm sure you'd be singing a different tune...

Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:11 am

Sorry, but if I was the person who was ill I would not want to inconvience the other pax and would object to a diversion.

They don't divert because someone is ill and selfish. They divert because there is a LIFE THREATENING EMERGENCY.

This has been discussed several times. The flight will be in touch with physicians on the ground who specialize in deciding the best course of action, and the captain, the physicians, and the dispatcher will make a decision. The passenger does not make the decision.

(If I was the passenger suffering a LIFE THREATENING EMERGENCY, I would also not want to incovenience anyone, but I would also prefer to live.)
7 hours aint long-haul

tennis69

Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:43 am

So let me see if I understand your positions. The actions of one is allowed to inconvience the lives of the many. Even to a cost of hundreds of thousands of dollars, maybe even a million. Not in my reality sorry.

flymad

Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:13 am

Quoting Tennis69 (Reply 17):
So let me see if I understand your positions. The actions of one is allowed to inconvience the lives of the many. Even to a cost of hundreds of thousands of dollars, maybe even a million. Not in my reality sorry.

So lets see if WE undestand your position! If you were flyng and had a LIFE THREATENING EMERGENCY you would prefer the pilot just to carry on to the planned destination and possibly allow you to die! COME OFF IT. You may not be around to do so, but your family would be the first to sue the pants off the airline concerned. Jeez, I cannot believe what I'm reading!

twambassador

Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:50 am

I can't believe you are putting a dollar value on a human life.

In any case it is one of many unexpected cost of running an airline. No different than a weather or mechanical delay.
Up Up And Away...

tennis69

Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:39 am

Quoting TWAmbassador (Reply 19):

Dollar values are placed on human life everyday. What do you think a doctor/hospital is doing with a price list for various procedures. Life insurance companies also assign a value to a human life and so does your family when they pick out a life insurance policy for you. Your life is worth the $ value of the policy. Nothing more, nothing less.

A medical emergency is much different that a mechanical or weather issue. The former affects one person, the later can endanger the entire crew and pax on the plane.

Enough said about this issue.

lrdc9

Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:53 pm

You are a fool. Not only would I prefer to live, but, I would prefer not to watch somebody else on the plane die because it was *too expensive* to divert. Human life is greater than $ (or at least it should be).

Further more, it's kind of involved when you get into certain fields of business.
Just say NO to scabs.

davescj

Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:09 pm

Not in my reality sorry.

This sounds sadly like SCARY reality. While, in a certain sense, a dollar value is put on human life (cost/safety ratio of KNOWN safety benefits) it can't be done for the unforeseen.

Besides, I'm sure all the major carriers have insurance to help pay for lost $$ due to medical emergency landing.

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

skibum9

Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:49 pm

Why should the airline and the other pax be held hostage because of one person?

This guy should not only be banned from a.net, he should be banned from humanity! Talk about any lack of morality. I sure hope he isn't married or have children as I fear for not only their safety, but anyone around him.

Merry Christmas jerk. You get the a-hole of the year award!
Tailwinds!!!

philcresci

Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:18 pm

Let the record show your life is not worth simply how much life insurance you own. A life insurance company DOES NOT assign a value to your life. With various medical testing and records they apply a life expectancy to your life, then with your dollar and the grouping of other similarly healthy people they will provide to your beneficiaries the dollar amount you BOUGHT when you reach expiration. Even when you purchase life insurance you are not putting a value on your life. Think about it. If you were in a cripleing accident do you really think your lawyer will sue the responsible party only for the amount of life insurance you have in force? Life insurance amounts are due to many factors includeing affordability. Your value of your life monetarily, is your Human Life Value a number usually derived from the amount of your earnings, including raises and inflation projected out to your retirement age.

Hopefully that helps everyone, and I wont even comment on other statements that are attrocious. Karma can be a beast and I hope doesn't rear her ugly head.

Arcrftlvr

Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:49 pm

The actions of one is allowed to inconvience the lives of the many.

Yes.

Even to a cost of hundreds of thousands of dollars, maybe even a million. Not in my reality sorry.

How did you arrive at this figure? Or, are you just tossing out random figures to support your idiotic position?

Arcrftlvr

Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:55 pm

Quoting Tennis69 (Reply 20):
Dollar values are placed on human life everyday. What do you think a doctor/hospital is doing with a price list for various procedures. Life insurance companies also assign a value to a human life and so does your family when they pick out a life insurance policy for you. Your life is worth the $ value of the policy. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm amazed at your lack of intelligence. Have you ever heard of negligence? If a pax on a plane is having a life threating emergency and the airline failed to do anything about it, I believe in a court of law, that would be called negligence. I'm sure the cost to benefit ratio leans in the airlines direction if they decide to divert rather than continue on and allow the passenger to die. The lawsuit involved would far outweigh the cost to divert. Not too mention it's the humane thing to do.

You are a terrible human being.

ASFlyer

Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:09 pm

While all but one of you would prefer to err on the side of decency and save a human life, this one person that would prefer to allow someone to die represents many these days. Unfortunately, there are a large (and ever increasing) number of selfish people that think only of themselves in our world. In cases where we have diverted due to a life threatening medical emergency, there is usually one (or sometimes more) person that is concerned only about their connection or the meeting they have to be at. They could care less about the person whose life depends on getting on the ground ASAP. Nice society we live in.

ClearedDirect

Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:41 am

Could you even imagine the news headline if this ever happened??????
Something to the effect of "XXX Airlines allows passenger to die on flight - Diversion deemed too expensive"

Wow, talk about the death of an airline...

stasisLAX

Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:42 am

Whoa, chill out! The poor passenger had a medical emergency and you're blaming the airline for diverting? Did some higher (lower) power revoke your humanity?
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

jafa39

Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:13 am

Many situations on board a flight, where safety is involved, are made with a view to not letting anybody die, they are not made for financial reasons, hence, go-arounds, divertions, aborted flights, cancellations and yes EM's.......I really hope that you never have a heart-attack at 40,000 feet.

Quoting Skibum9 (Reply 23):
You get the a-hole of the year award!

For the next 30 years at least!!
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

jlbmedia

Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:16 am

So you consider someone suddenly falling seriously ill as taking an "action", to which you seem to assign them blame. I would not mind a delay, if it meant that another human being (you know what they are I assume) may have their life saved! You sicken me! By the way I have a potentially terminal illness if I do not get a transplant. John.
JLB54061

Cubsrule

Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:27 am

Quoting ArcrftLvr (Reply 26):

I'm amazed at your lack of intelligence. Have you ever heard of negligence? If a pax on a plane is having a life threating emergency and the airline failed to do anything about it, I believe in a court of law, that would be called negligence. I'm sure the cost to benefit ratio leans in the airlines direction if they decide to divert rather than continue on and allow the passenger to die. The lawsuit involved would far outweigh the cost to divert. Not too mention it's the humane thing to do.

Airlines have variety above and beyond that based on 'normal' negligence simply because they are air carriers. Even putting aside the moral questions, there should be absolutely no debate that medical diversions are economically advisable.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

DTWAGENT

Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:21 pm

This I know about on a first hand bases. I had a stroke (TIA) several years ago on the way back from SAN to PIT to DTW. Luckly We were close enough to PIT and we (from what I was told) did a straight in, no holding taxi to the gate and I was taken along with my family to the hospital. This was on USAirways. They had thought about diverting to CVG. But did not.

Chuck

safetyDemo

Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:52 pm

I think we've met before.

My very first medical diversion happened on a DTW-SLC flight. The decision was made, after contacting medical personnel on the ground, to divert the flight to FSD. When the captain made the announcement that we were diverting due to a medical emergency, the passenger in 1D rang his call bell.

I went to his seat, asked him if I could help him, and the following conversation took place:

PAX: Are you aware that I have a connection to make in SLC?

Me: (shocked) Sir, unfortunately, your connection is not our main priority this morning. Our priority is the health of the woman lying ill on my aft galley floor. You will have all day to make a connection in SLC, I do not have all day to get her to a hospital.

This particular medical diversion was for a stroke. We over two hours away from SLC. Could you imagine being stuck in an aircraft cabin for over two hours after suffering a stroke!? I could never.

Our NUMBER ONE responsibility as flight crew/an airline is to get you AND everyone else to your destination safely. If diverting the aircraft to another city for an injured/ill/dying passenger delays you in the process, so be it. You'll still get there. Alive. And hopefully, so will they.

-safetyDemo
Please direct your attention to the flight attendants in the cabin...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos