Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

gayrugbyman
Topic Author

EZY To Announce MAN Base?

Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:09 am

EZY are rumoured to be announcing a new base at MAN, around 11 routes expected. Anyone know more details on the routes to expect?

sam1987

RE: EZY To Announce MAN Base?

Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:53 pm

Quoting GayrugbyMAN (Thread starter):
EZY are rumoured to be announcing a new base at MAN

I'd be surprised to be honest, what with the LPL base down the road. But then again, they operate to EMA and have today opened a route from BHX to GVA.
Next flights: LGW-LBA-LGW, LHR-SIN-SYD, SYD-BKK-LHR, LGW-GRO, GRO-CIA, CIA-MAD, MAD-LGW

ACEregular

Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:57 pm

Quoting Sam1987 (Reply 1):
But then again, they operate to EMA and have today opened a route from BHX to GVA.

In reality it is a GVA-BHX-GVA rotation, so although yes this route is launched as an available flight to GVA from BHX, it actually is operated by GVA crew on a Swiss registered A319. easyJet do not have a base at BHX.

nighthawk

Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:28 pm

Quoting Sam1987 (Reply 1):
I'd be surprised to be honest, what with the LPL base down the road. But then again, they operate to EMA and have today opened a route from BHX to GVA.

LPL and MAN still cover seperate catchment areas, and EZY will be missing out on a lot of Manchester based passengers who would use Jet2 rather than travel to LPL. They need to have a presense at MAN to remain competitive.

I believe they have some sort of exclusivity agreement with LPL which stops them using MAN, but they have been looking at ways to get out of this. It seems to suggest they are infact looking at a MAN base.

eham

Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:28 pm

I do expect a twice daily rotation to AMS.

AIR MALTA

Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:45 pm

With the take over of GT and their routes out of MAN, EasyJet could well open a base there with the first flights being :
MAN-MLA
MAN-TFS
MAN-PFO
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

GT4EZY

Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:54 pm

There will be an announcement next week. Indications are that negotiations with MA Plc have reached a conclusion. Staff meeting to be held before the announcement so that staff know before the press release.

As I have said numerous times on the MAN News 14 thread, should EZY open MAN, the current GT summer schedule will remain in place for atleast summer 08.

[Edited 2007-12-14 05:56:20]
Proud to fly from Manchester!

scouseflyer

Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:03 pm

There was a rumour last year that MAN were looking at building a separate LoCo terminal I wonder if they're looking at going ahead with that?

sam1987

Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:12 pm

Quoting ACEregular (Reply 2):
easyJet do not have a base at BHX.

I never said they did - I just showed BHX/EMA as an example of two U2 airports that are quite close together. LGW/LTN/STN and ORY/CDG are other examples, so a LPL/MAN operation might be coming.

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 5):
EasyJet could well open a base there with the first flights being :
MAN-MLA
MAN-TFS
MAN-PFO

Three new destinations for them - are MAN to TFS and PFO too long for the U2 model?
Next flights: LGW-LBA-LGW, LHR-SIN-SYD, SYD-BKK-LHR, LGW-GRO, GRO-CIA, CIA-MAD, MAD-LGW

sevenair

Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:10 pm

Quoting Sam1987 (Reply 8):
Three new destinations for them - are MAN to TFS and PFO too long for the U2 model?

A lot of people thougt the same in another recent thread about them starting Egypt flights. A lot of people said no - not without 'free' food. But I say, so long as the planes have the range - people can always buy stuff onboard, or failinging that they can get a Boots meal deal before getting on the plane!

Anoter factor, and one which I think is far more important than empty stomachs - is the issue of crew time. Ie could one crew fly the plane out, and back. Or would they need to ferry a crew, or worse, would they need to fly a crew out, overnight them, and get them to fly home - whilst the crew that flew the plane to PFO dead heads in the back. Which means they are paying a lot of money for crew to be away from home when they are not actually flying.

Saying that, I've never though of PFO as a cheap place to fly to. If they can get a bit extra out of people, then perhaps it would be worth their while. Ie eg £100 * 156 = a lot of money!! So long as they don't sell out at 1p all in, then it could be worthwhile.

EZYAirbus

Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:34 pm

Quoting Sevenair (Reply 9):
A lot of people thougt the same in another recent thread about them starting Egypt flights.

I flew LTN-KRK on Sunday 9th Dec and the cabin crew announced exciting new routes to Egypt from Gatwick for summer 2008, so to me its looking very likely!

Glenn
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

sevenair

Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:41 pm

Quoting EZYAirbus (Reply 10):
I flew LTN-KRK on Sunday 9th Dec and the cabin crew announced exciting new routes to Egypt from Gatwick for summer 2008, so to me its looking very likely!

Hey - that is great news!! I didn't know they actually announced it. After all the discussions on food - do you think they will give it 'free' or buy onboard? I think that will be a 5/6 hour flight?

EGNM-LBA

Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:45 pm

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 3):
LPL and MAN still cover seperate catchment areas, and EZY will be missing out on a lot of Manchester based passengers who would use Jet2 rather than travel to LPL

Those at Jet2 who have seen a big hole blown in their finances in summer 07 might have a different view on that. Quite the opposite in fact based on conversations I've had. The view from them after operating at MAN for 3 years is that (1) catchment areas overlap massively (2) the "thinner" the route, the less there is any distinction and (3) people are much more loyal to their wallets than they are their nearest airport.

Revo

Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:00 pm

Quoting ACEregular (Reply 2):
In reality it is a GVA-BHX-GVA rotation, so although yes this route is launched as an available flight to GVA from BHX, it actually is operated by GVA crew on a Swiss registered A319. easyJet do not have a base at BHX

It is only a swiss registered easyjet on saturdays, every other days it is a british registered A319 on a W pattern.

sam1987

Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:38 pm

Quoting Revo (Reply 13):
every other days it is a british registered A319 on a W pattern.

Flying from which base?

Out of interest, do you know where the recently started BOH routes are based?

bwaflyer

Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:46 pm

Quoting Sevenair (Reply 9):
Anoter factor, and one which I think is far more important than empty stomachs - is the issue of crew time. Ie could one crew fly the plane out, and back. Or would they need to ferry a crew, or worse, would they need to fly a crew out, overnight them, and get them to fly home - whilst the crew that flew the plane to PFO dead heads in the back. Which means they are paying a lot of money for crew to be away from home when they are not actually flying.

The crew can fly PFO, SSH, HRG round trip. It's a long old day, but the charters, and GB have been doing it for years.

Boeing74741R

Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:18 pm

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 3):
I believe they have some sort of exclusivity agreement with LPL which stops them using MAN, but they have been looking at ways to get out of this.

Think somebody mentioned in the MAN News 14 thread that easyJet have gotten themselves out of this exclusivity deal, which if so leaves them free to open up a base at MAN, and give Jet2 and bmibaby a run for their money.

Joost

Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:15 am

Quoting Sam1987 (Reply 14):
Out of interest, do you know where the recently started BOH routes are based?

BOH-KRK is a W-pattern from DTM:
DTM-KRK-BOH-KRK-DTM

EZYAirbus

Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:25 am

BHX-GNB is also a W pattern route, its flown by a LTN based 737-700 and crew operating LTN-GNB-BHX-GNB-LTN

Glenn

dazbo5

Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:44 am

I've heard an announcement will be made on 21st December as to what will be happeneing with the GB routes from MAN once EZY take over at the end of March. The whole takeover process has been a complete mess. I know loads of people who don't know whether they are coming or going and even if they have a flight from MAN to PFO and other destinations from April 2008. I think it's fair to say EZY snapped while the iron was hot to get the LGW slots from GB and everything else would be sorted out later. Some people have had emails from GB/BA to say there flights have changed, but they can't give details of the changes and can either accept the new flight (whatever it turns out to be), or receive a full refund. It's just a complete mess and I hope the authorities step in to make sure nothing like this happens again.

Anyway, back on topic. Given routes like MAN-PFO have been lucrative for GB, it would make sense for EZY to step in and carry on servicing the route but will it fit in to their business model? Just have to wait for the announcement next week.

Darren
Equipment: 2x Canon EOS 50D; Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM, 50-500 EX APO DG, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Speedlite 430EX

GT4EZY

Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:15 pm

EZY have said they are wanting to experiment with longer routes. Of course, crews are within hours to do all current GB routes as a 'turnaround' day so there will be no issues there. As a side note however, EZY have stated that they are not averse these days to nightstopping crews around Europe. People seem to think that night stops cost an awful lot of money but with the right hotac deals and clever aircraft scheduling, it really isn't.

As for EZY at MAN, we should know very soon.  Wink

sam1987

Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:34 pm

Quoting GT4EZY (Reply 20):
EZY have stated that they are not averse these days to nightstopping crews around Europe.

I was on a U2 flight from LGW to NCE recently, and we met the crew in the cockpit after the flight - they were scheduled to do LGW-NCE-LGW-MAD, nightstop in MAD, then back to LGW the following day. Apparently MAD nightstops are common for LGW based crew.

sevenair

Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:15 pm

Quoting Bwaflyer (Reply 15):
The crew can fly PFO, SSH, HRG round trip. It's a long old day, but the charters, and GB have been doing it for years.

Didn't know that. It must be a long day for the crews! But this is great for the airline, so the Cyprus routes should be a good commercial success.

jonnywishbone

Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:10 pm

Quoting Dazbo5 (Reply 19):
Some people have had emails from GB/BA to say there flights have changed, but they can't give details of the changes and can either accept the new flight (whatever it turns out to be), or receive a full refund

I was trying to get a club seat to FAO for my in laws next summer and BA show BOTH BA mainline and the exisitng GT flights. When I rang the executive club, they said that the deal still wasnt signed, but agreed with me that it would be a lot less hassle to but the straight BA flights! What are they going to offer people who have bought a J class fare? THe GT fare was £ 150+ cheaper than the BA mainline fare, so will BA offer a club seat as Easy cannot offer the class

Could be interesting... anyone of you 'in the know'?

J

sam1987

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:57 pm

Quoting JonnyWishbone (Reply 23):
What are they going to offer people who have bought a J class fare?

Maybe Speedy Boarding Plus?! At least they get dedicated check in and the chance to board the aircraft first.

I have to say - it's shocking the J class GT fares are still available.

BCAL

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:09 pm

It seems that FR have also announced plans to expand services at Manchester with new routes to Barcelona Girona, Bremen, Marseille and Milan.

NEW ROUTES BLITZ
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

sam1987

Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:07 pm

Quoting BCAL (Reply 25):
It seems that FR have also announced plans to expand services at Manchester with new routes to Barcelona Girona, Bremen, Marseille and Milan.

So next summer sees the arrival of U2 and major expansion of FR at MAN - I wonder what WW and LS will do....

gayrugbyman
Topic Author

Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:31 pm

Quoting Sam1987 (Reply 26):
So next summer sees the arrival of U2 and major expansion of FR at MAN - I wonder what WW and LS will do....

Probably nothing at all, as usual!

col

Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:39 pm

Quoting Sam1987 (Reply 26):

Not exactly a mega arrival from both EZY and FR. From the sounds of it the other LCC's can wait a few more years before FR and EZY get a grip of themselves at MAN, then become real competitors.

GT4EZY

Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:08 am

Quoting Sam1987 (Reply 24):
I have to say - it's shocking the J class GT fares are still available.

It's not an ideal situation but from a business perspective, GT hasn't been purchased yet and if the deal was to fall through, and in theory it could, then the airline needs to protect itself.

Quoting Col (Reply 28):
Not exactly a mega arrival from both EZY and FR. From the sounds of it the other LCC's can wait a few more years before FR and EZY get a grip of themselves at MAN, then become real competitors.

Again, the sale hasn't been completed yet and U2 cannot sell tickets until it has done so. Therefore, there is little time to get the summer schedule loaded. It makes much better sense to go with the GT schedule which already has strong bookings. U2 is reliant on the GT aircraft for MAN, atleast for the time being, and with fewer A319 deliveries expected next year, they are being snapped up by new bases at LYS and CDG. That said as I have mentioned elsewhere, AGP is a possibility due to some downtime that aircraft are scheduled this summer.

[Edited 2007-12-20 16:11:23]

EZYAirbus

Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:18 am

EasyJet have a new route map on their website, this new route map now includes Egypt and Cyprus suggesting that they maybe keeping the routes inherited from GB Airways

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/routemap/

Glenn

GT4EZY

Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:56 am

Quoting EZYAirbus (Reply 30):
EasyJet have a new route map on their website, this new route map now includes Egypt and Cyprus suggesting that they maybe keeping the routes inherited from GB Airways

They are keeping them.......for the coming Summer atleast.

col

Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:32 am

Quoting GT4EZY (Reply 29):
Again, the sale hasn't been completed yet and U2 cannot sell tickets until it has done so. Therefore, there is little time to get the summer schedule loaded.

Sorry, didn't mean it to sound so bad against FR and EZY, just stating that existing LCC's have some time to look seriously before EZY and FR get it together at MAN.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos