Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Ba Humbug NW And Kudos To AS

Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:04 pm

Yesterday, my daughter flew CID-MSP-ANC.

There was a delay on NW 843 MEM-MSP . . . delayed pax getting to MEM. No big deal with that. It consequently delayed the MSP-ANC flight - 40 minutes (+/-). No big deal there either, it's the season. And it is NW . . . so delays are expected. Weather, clear, sunny, unlimited vic in MEM, CID, ANC, MSP . . . that was not a factor.

The real point of this thread begins in ANC.

Originally scheduled NW843 is due in to ANC at 1436. But, a smart traveler will check the computer and I did. It was delayed and not due to arrive until 1511.

I got to ANC at 1415. My 81 year old Father and 14 year old step daughter in tow.

I get to the NW counter and it is deserted . . . I say again, deserted . . . no a soul. No "push bell for service", no nothing.

I have about 45 minutes until the flight arrives. I need a gate pass for a UM, and I have to get through the TSA gauntlet at ANC, which at this point is a 30 minute line.

I call the NW 800 number. The first person I speak with . . . unimpressive . . . says, well, I don't know what to tell you! Sorry, maybe you should get to the airport earlier!

I wanted to reach through the phone and rip out his heart . . . show it to him while still beating. I'm already at the airport 50+ minutes before the arrival of the flight . . . WTF else does he want. He hangs up after suggesting I check to see if anyone is at NW counter in Baggage Claim. I do so, and the Baggage Claim desk is a ghost town also.

I call the 800 again. Can't remember the person I spoke with this time, but she recommended I talk to ANY OTHER airline concourse. The NW res agent coundn't get anyone on the phone from NW in ANC . . . not at the counter. Not in the office. Not at the gate. Not in baggage claim. Gotta ask yourself at this point - why am I entrusting my daughter to these people that cannot be reached by phone.

I grabbed a couple ANC Airport cops . . . said, "Can you help out a fellow 'badge'. Explained the issue. They said, sure, we'll hop down to the gate and tell the agent there whats up. I also did as suggested and found a nice lady at AS . . .

I explained the issue to her - and she shall remain nameless because of the comments she made regarding the NW counter. Those comments essentiallyu said "NW does this all the time, when it's time for the counter people to go, they're gone. To hell with anyone that wants to check in late, or if the flight is delayed, like today, you're just outta luck".

Turns out, I know this AS agent's husband . . . another Alaska State Trooper . . .and attended the AST Academy when he was an instructor. Fortunate for me, as this gracious AS agent took it upon herself, when she was closed and ready to leave for the day, to go down to the NW gate and explain that I had now been standing at the NW counter for 50 minutes . . . and there was not a NW agent to be found.

She came back to me, as did the two ANC Airport police, and said the NW gate widget would bring Miranda to me at TSA and I could meet her there.

It worked out, as described. THE NW agent brought Miranda out of the secure area, I signed for her and we went to baggage claim.

Oh. . . . wait . . . did I mention it was 55 minutes before the luggage showed up in ANC.

Fortunate that a) a couple fellow coppers took it upon themselves to assist and that b) the AS agent took it upon herself to cover NW broke-dick operation and c) it's not my first day with a UM at ANC.

Pretty abyssmal performance NW.

For the NW folk here, this scenario is not expounded upon, exaggerated or otherwise bastardized.

Your folks in ANC sucked in a big way yesterday. Simple as that. If the flight is delayed, SOMEONE needs to stay at the gate. WTF do I want to show up at ANC at 1330 to meet a flight delayed intil 1511? Assinine. I'll show up an hour in advance, which should be more than sufficient time if the employees of said airline give a shit.

AS, kudos to you and your agent in ANC that did NOT have to help me, did NOT have to cover NWs ass, did NOT have to go to the gate regarding my daughter, did NOT have to do anything . . .

I'd like to hear the excuses from the NW widgets as to why their folks weren't at the counter . . .

What I'd more like to hear is an ANC NW agent apologize . . . if that happens . . .well, I'll eat the infamous hat.

Ohh, here's an interesting note. I got my daughter in hand at 1555 . . . the first bag from NW hit the belt, after a 1511 arrival at 1600.

Now that SUCKS. Way to go NW. No kudos for you - at all - on this ride. I hope you do better on my daughters return leg . . . 12/21/07 . . . ANC-MSP-CID.

[Edited 2007-12-15 15:09:20]
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Bicoastal

RE: Ba Humbug NW And Kudos To AS

Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:35 am

Was the NW flight turning for an outbound or was it going to be a RON? If it's not turning for an outbound, there's no need for agents to stay at the counter. You go to any airport in the country. If there's no more outbounds, the counters close. One or two agents will stay to meet the late inbounds, but they're usually baggage service agents who leave their office at baggage claim to go the gates to pull up a jetbridge. Sometimes rampers meet the flight.

Even if the flight was going to turn for an outbound, once all the passengers have checked in, there's no need for anyone at the counter. Why pay them to do nothing? With all due respect, you seem to be a bit anal. You paid for a UM service...at least I hope you did if your kid is under 16. The flight attendants know the rules. They won't let your child out of their sight until turned over to an agent. If no agent, the FAs take the kid out to meet the guardian listed on the paperwork. No need for you to go the gate or have a gate pass. Air Canada, for example, has you meet minors at baggage claim. An agent or the flight attendant will bring the child down to meet whoever is on the paperwork. No way would NW flight attendants or agents send your child alone out to the cold Alaskan afternoon. If you aren't at the gate, they go to the exit. If no one is there to meet the kid, they call Child Protective Services.

Did you have too much coffee yesterday???  

[Edited 2007-12-15 16:53:50]
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

azjubilee

Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:37 am

Wait... so you're mad at NWA because nobody was at the check-in counter for the purposes of an arriving flight? At the moment, NWA has ONE departing and arriving passenger flight in ANC. The departing flight leaves ANC at 9am. The arrival gets in at 1436. You're telling me that you expect people to be behind the counter, waiting for the off chance someone may show up, for over 5 hours? That's not efficient use of people. At many stations, the staff goes home during large breaks in the flight schedule. While it must be frustrating to not be able to find someone, did you stop and think what the counter hours might be? I'm not exactly sure what you expected from NWA. They handled your daughter in the manner you paid them for. What do you want them to appologize for? What did they do wrong? Is it 100% imperitive that the 3 of you were at the gate to pick up your daughter? I realize your conserns with a UM, but it sounds like you're mad at NWA because nobody was there to let you down to the gate to personally greet your daughter. Hmmm...

As for a res agent not being able to help you... other than attempting to call ANC, there isn't anything they really could have done to assist you. Don't get mad at them. In the end it sound slike it all worked out. You're right, kudos to the AS agent for going above and beyond... but in reality, NWA didn't do anything wrong. The ANC stations didn't show up to work yesterday to cater for the UM inbound on 843.

For the record... the flight blocked in at 1523, 47 min late. To unload a presumably full 757 and get the bags to the belt in 37 min doesn't seem really that far out of the ordinary. Consider the loads, consider the staffing and consider the weather.

I hope the return journey goes perfect. Merry Christmas.

AZJ

[Edited 2007-12-15 17:41:39]

Bicoastal

Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:53 am

Quoting Azjubilee (Reply 2):
You're telling me that you expect people to be behind the counter, waiting for the off chance someone may show up, for over 5 hours?

For most of the flying public, likely, yes. BUT don't expect fliers to pay higher airfares for a staffing level they think they need. They think airfares are too high...but they want X, Y, Z service and then some, darn it!

Quoting ANCFlyer (Thread starter):
Fortunate for me, as this gracious AS agent took it upon herself, when she was closed and ready to leave for the day,

Hmmm....looks like AS was closed, too, but this agent was slow getting out the door. She'll learn. If she had left on time, would AS have been any different than NW??
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

fxramper

Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:04 am

You had me at NW - the root of the problem.

duck 

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:22 am

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 1):
Was the NW flight turning for an outbound or was it going to be a RON?

Turning.

With all due respect, you seem to be a bit anal.

When it comes to a UM you're gawddamn right I'm anal . . .this ain't baggage we're talking here . . . this is a UM. And if your inbound is late, it is expected that you have the foresight - the modicum of intellect - to stick around to make sure the UM - fee is US$1590 r/t by the by - are taken care of. That's why I pay the fee.

No excuse for crap customer service.

An agent or the flight attendant will bring the child down to meet whoever is on the paperwork

Surrrreee. And then bitch all the while "that SOB Dad of hers didn't meet her at the plane like he was supposed to, NOW I have to take the little bitch to the counter. . . ". Read that VERY comment right here on Airliners.

Next?

Did you have too much coffee yesterday???  wink 

wink 

Nope, but probably better if I had . . . LMAO. A three hour drive over the mountain to ANC from ENA and then a four hour return - after it got dark and the roads froze - dangit!!!

Seriously . . . pretty shoddy when no one at the NW 800 # can find anyone at ANC either . . . seems to me the phones were on ignore . . . even the gate.

You're telling me that you expect people to be behind the counter, waiting for the off chance someone may show up, for over 5 hours?

Noooo . . . . I'm telling you that an hour before a flight, SOMEONE should be SOME DAMN WHERE at ANC. Re-read my OP. No one could be found. By me, by the Airport Police, by AS, by the Res Agent at the 800 number . . . did you miss that part?

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 3):
looks like AS was closed, too

Nope, not at all, 5 outbounds and a full staff at the check-in counters. Fortunate that AS hasn't forgotten Customer Service . . . different caliber of carrier . . .

For the record... the flight blocked in at 1523, 47 min late

For the record, I know when the flight blocked. According to my eyes, as I watched it taxi, it was on the ground at 1515. What bullshit they put in the computer is irrelevent. It was on the apron, at the gate at 1515. Believe it . . .

Consider the loads

100%

consider the staffing

Not my problem, ceratinly NW's problem.

consider the weather.

Clear, Sunny, unlimited vis, +22F.

Quoting FXramper (Reply 4):
You had me at NW

Reallllly, the best connection form CID to ANC since UA decided to shove up our collective butts in ANC . . . she was originally booked on UA . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Chugach

Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:31 am

Good grief. Those of you criticizing ANCflyer for being upset would have been every bit as upset as he was if it had been YOUR daughter on that plane. Few things are more agonizing to a parent than not knowing where your (young) child is or whose watch s/he is under. I may get crucified for this, and I really don't care if I do, but too often in the airline industry these days some people simply act like they just don't care. As my frequent-flying father says about flying these days, "the door is closed, sir". Big thumbsup to the AS agent who went above and beyond the call of duty to help out a customer of a rival airline figure out how to get his child back to him.

I had a similar experience with DL about a month ago, except with an unaccompanied pet. Dog was to travel by herself from PDX to BUF, via ATL. All flights were on time, the ATL connection was over two hours, and DL for some unexplained reason chose to leave the dog in ATL overnight and not bother to tell me or the person picking her up. I never would have known, except my friend called and said she wasn't on the flight. DL cargo promised to call me with status updates with regards to her whereabouts after she had gone missing, but never did. It finally took the agent I left her with in PDX, who I might add wasn't even an employee for DL, to track her down for me, much to my extreme appreciation. DL delivered her to BUF with a completely unexplained overnight, 12-hour delay. The "New Delta" can kiss my 60,000 miles per year flying butt after that stunt.

Now, not knowing where your child is as opposed to your dog has to be considerably worse, but I absolutely understand where ANCflyer is coming from on this issue.

Cactus739

Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:42 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 5):
Turning.

Turning for where? Checking nwa.com I don't see any ANC-MSP or ANC-DTW flights that evening... where else out of ANC does NW fly a 757?
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:00 am

They think airfares are too high...but they want X, Y, Z service and then some, darn it!

One more thing. . . remember, I'm the guy that buys F seats, even for the 14 y/o daughter . . . I said BUY, not upgrade . . .

Quoting Cactus739 (Reply 7):
Turning for where?

MSP I'm guessing . . .

I know the AS agent said there are always issues with NW at ANC . . . once that counter is closed any prospective NW customer is screwed . . .

Interestingly enough, the sign on the NW counter says, "only processing same day flights". When the hell does anyone get 'other day' customer service at NW in ANC.

Not impressed . . . sorry.

As was mentioned, this ain't baggage we're talking about this is a person.

Period.

JBLUA320

Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:07 am

NW is absolutely in the wrong. Part of what you pay the UM fee for is to have gate-pass access. The airline expects YOU to meet your UM at the arrival gate. Since gate staffing, especially for NW at a station like ANC, is minimal and the a/c was on a turn, it's not practical for the F/A nor the gate agent to go all the way to security to do the paperwork.

This is what you pay the fee for. It's that simple.

JBLU

roseflyer

Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:10 am

Hello. I feel really bad for you because you had to go through that stressful ordeal. I'm glad you and your family are ok now.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 5):
Was the NW flight turning for an outbound or was it going to be a RON?

Turning.

Northwest wouldn't have its check in counters open since their only departure from ANC is at 9am. So it is understandable that no one would be there. But you did the right thing finding some police officers and other gate agents from a different airline to help you out. It's an unfortunate circumstance, that is made worse by them not being contactable when you called them. I think that is rather shameful.

It would be nice for NW to post what time counters are open at airports. But in case something like this happens again, calling ahead of time might be a good idea.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

roadrunner165

Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:07 am

Alright I'll post a rant about my experience with Northwest Airlines in Anchorage, Alaska. ANCFlyer is spot on; the performance by NWA staff there is abysmal.

I was traveling to Minnesota for vacation in mid-September; my original routing was supposed to be OME-ANC-MSP-STC. Alaska Airlines was late into Nome as usual and us six passengers connecting on the Northwest flight in Anchorage were told that we would likely miss our connection. But thanks to our fantastic AS pilots we made it to Anchorage and disembarked by 12:20am, which means we had 10 minutes to make our connection. Once in the terminal we all ran to the Northwest gate. We sort of expected our luggage to miss the connection, but we expected to be allowed on the flight- boy were we wrong. We arrived at the NWA gate at 12:26, the plane was still at the gate with the bridge still attached. The lone Northwest Airlines staff was mindlessly packing up her things and clearly getting ready to go home. One Passenger yelped, "Hey, are we going to be able to get on this flight?" Without skipping a step of turning around to face us customers, the NWA agent simply said, "Go back and see Alaska Airlines.", and continued walking away from the gate. Talk about crummy service!

Alaska routed me ANC-SEA-DEN-MSP-STC, this added an additional 12 hours on my trip. United Airlines called the TSA on my ass in Denver (long story), and my luggage made it to Minnesota 2 days late. Yuck! While it was Alaska's fault for the delayed outbound flight, the NWA agent in Anchorage could have at least had the common courtesy to treat us with some dignity and respect.

Adam

azjubilee

Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:09 am

I guess I still don't get it. You were at the counter and nobody was to be found... is that right? Once again... the ONLY departing flight from ANC is at 9am. Other than checking in passengers for that flight, there really isn't a need for staffing the front counter. It makes NO sense to staff the counter all day long, when there are no flights. It does seem rather odd that nobody could be found, but you have to understand that until the UM is signed for, the crew isn't just going to leave her. Even if you couldn't have gotten to the gate, you still would have been able to meet your daughter and she would have been cared for. Asserting that your daughter was treated like baggage because nobody was at the counter to let you down is absurd.

Regarding the IN time... nwa.com is directly linked to the airplanes computer. When the parking brake is set and the door opened is the official in time. THe only humans involved in setting the IN time is when the captain sets the brake and the agent opens the door. Despite what your watch said the flight arrived at 1523.

To recap... the plane was NOT on a turn. The last departing flight was over 6 hours prior to this arrival. It must have been frustrating, but I'm really not sure what you wanted NWA to do. I don't think the safety, security or location of your daughter was ever in jeopardy. Thankfully you were reunited with Miranda and hopefully will be spending a wonderful week with her.

So, is it safe to assume that this thread never would have been started has someone been at the counter? There's always two sides to every story.

AZJ

sxf24

Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:12 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 8):
Interestingly enough, the sign on the NW counter says, "only processing same day flights". When the hell does anyone get 'other day' customer service at NW in ANC.

This means the counter does not offer future ticketing services.

AA737-823

Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:14 am

Well, ANC flyer, I think you need to clam down. But not much- just calm enough so that I don't worry about your blood pressure. Because otherwise, you're right- this sucks.
I'm glad you had a better experience with AS personnel.
I'd tell you to book her on CO next time, but from here (ANC) pretty much all they do is Seattle this time of year, so Miranda would have to go to Cleveland first, then Seattle, then ANC... all as a UM.

Sheesh, I dunno what to tell you.

And, folks, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to expect someone to be at the ticket counter WHILE THEIR AIRPLANE IS ON THE GROUND. To me, that's a no brainer.
And I am here to tell you, Continental has people at the ticket counter inside this timeframe... I would know, as I missed a flight out of ANC once, and had to deal with that situation. If the counter had been deserted, I would have been out of luck.

Sounds like real poor customer service to me.

roadrunner165

Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:16 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 8):
I know the AS agent said there are always issues with NW at ANC . . . once that counter is closed any prospective NW customer is screwed . . .

When I was being rerouted after missing my connection to Minneapolis the AS employee said passengers are always getting the run around from NWA in Anchorage. Its near impossible to get any service.

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 10):
Northwest wouldn't have its check in counters open since their only departure from ANC is at 9am.

Is there really only 1 flight in the winter? I thought there were two?? But maybe I'm wrong.

Adam

sxf24

Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:20 am

Quoting Roadrunner165 (Reply 15):

Is there really only 1 flight in the winter? I thought there were two?? But maybe I'm wrong.

Most days there are.

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:59 am

Quoting Azjubilee (Reply 12):
You were at the counter and nobody was to be found... is that right?

checkmark 

Other than checking in passengers for that flight, there really isn't a need for staffing the front counter.

Save a late inbound with five UMs (not only mine) aboard . . . all of whom would need gate passes . . . by NWs own rule . . .parents/guardians meet UMs at the gate.

It makes NO sense to staff the counter all day long, when there are no flights.

BUUUUZZZZ . . no flights . . incorrect. Inbound delayed flight . . . . next???

Even if you couldn't have gotten to the gate, you still would have been able to meet your daughter and she would have been cared for.

Guarantee me that??? That she would have been cared for? The NW rules says - meet your rug rat at the gate . . . and when you've had enough experience with UMs - as I've had - the RULE from the AIRLINE says, meet the kid at the gate. Furthermore, on this very site, I've read a dozen threads here about irresponsible parents that don't call, don't pick up their kids, don't meet the kids, don't give two shits . . . I showed 57 minutes prior to arrival time. It's not MY fault NW was late. It's not my fault no one was at the NW gate. It's not my fault no one in ANC at NW give's a shit.

I was not the only UM parent waiting and looking for someone at NW. I was not the only parent that had the wherewithall to check arrival time on the inbound and plan accordingly.

As for when the plane landed and what it recorded for a block time - all I have to say is, I watched it land at 1515, I watched it taxi to C-9, I watched the jetway pull up by 1520. I don't give two shits what time NW recorded it's block time, I watched it . . . next?

To recap... the plane was NOT on a turn.

Irrelevent. Period.

Thankfully you were reunited with Miranda and hopefully will be spending a wonderful week with her.

Quite true. . . thank you . . .

o, is it safe to assume that this thread never would have been started has someone been at the counter?

Well, no shit. I'd have been to the gate, gotten her directly off the a/a as NWs rule require, and there'd have been no thread . . . seem elementary to me . . .

Quoting Sxf24 (Reply 13):
This means the counter does not offer future ticketing services.

No kiddin' . . . . thanks for that though . . .woulda never thoug  sarcastic 

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 14):
I'd tell you to book her on CO next time

CO doesn't go to CID . . . if they did she'd have been on CO. She was originally booked on UA, but they pulled outta ANC in the winter . . . thanks for nuthin' UA . . .

Sounds like real poor customer service to me.

{yes]

Especially since the NW 800 number widgets couldn't reach anyone either. Nor could the ANC Airport Police Department . . . and I dare say they perhaps tried harder for me than perhaps for Tommy Tentpeg . . . I do carry a badget, and specifically asked "how about helping out a fellow cop".

Is there really only 1 flight in the winter?

I think no. There are 2 NW flights a day in the winter . . . or there were last year. I really paid no attention to this years schedule. I think they are both MSP rides. Nothing to DTW this year and nothing from FAI in the winter this year. . .

Doesn't matter, the only flight I wanted/want answers on is NW843 . . . the rest are irrelevent to this topic.

. . . . .

The bottom line. I think NWs customer service in ANC sucked. It's a matter of pride in one's job, carrier, profession. It's a matter of thinking - suppose that was my son/daughter aboard.

. . . . .

I do have a question . . .

For those thinking I'm up a ducks ass, how many of you have kids? How many of you fly them several times a year seeral thousand miles?

perhaps a larger perspective on you part is necessary?

Chugach

Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:07 am

NW axed the ANC-MSP redeye, although it's coming back for at least the holidays. Alaska as a whole has gotten hosed by service cutbacks this winter. UA ditched us completely, NW cut back ANC-MSP and discontinued ANC-OGG, and DL re-timed its SLC-ANC flight so that it's almost impossible to connect in SLC going to ANC from points east; I actually think the only reason DL hasn't gone seasonal in Alaska is to keep their elites happy with a flight on their own metal. There's a reason I've consolidated all my flying to AS and CO: going to/from ANC, they are simply the most reliable two options, and CO usually beats the AS fares on ANC-SEA; CO 234 to SEA is rapidly becoming my favorite flight.

And, folks, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to expect someone to be at the ticket counter WHILE THEIR AIRPLANE IS ON THE GROUND. To me, that's a no brainer.
And I am here to tell you, Continental has people at the ticket counter inside this timeframe... I would know, as I missed a flight out of ANC once, and had to deal with that situation. If the counter had been deserted, I would have been out of luck.

Ex-freaking-actly. At least have somebody within earshot of the counter. It's silly to think that people outside security won't at least have questions about a flight, or a legitimate need like ANCflyer.

Quoting Roadrunner165 (Reply 11):
One Passenger yelped, "Hey, are we going to be able to get on this flight?" Without skipping a step of turning around to face us customers, the NWA agent simply said, "Go back and see Alaska Airlines.", and continued walking away from the gate. Talk about crummy service!

As me and my father like to say about flying: "the door is closed".

Chugach

Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:12 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 17):
I think no. There are 2 NW flights a day in the winter . . . or there were last year. I really paid no attention to this years schedule. I think they are both MSP rides. Nothing to DTW this year and nothing from FAI in the winter this year. . .

It's down to 1X daily, holidays excluded.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 17):
I do have a question . . .

For those thinking I'm up a ducks ass, how many of you have kids? How many of you fly them several times a year seeral thousand miles?

perhaps a larger perspective on you part is necessary?

Ding ding ding. As with my own DL experience last month, most of the people being critical don't know what it's like to be in those shoes.

hsw3rd

Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:03 am

Hey Pal, chill out up there; and clean up your language. I too am a dad of a mid-teen child, I too purchase UM full fare tickets. Your complaint is legitimate, your anger is missplaced. Many UMs are escorted out to the Security Check Point; albeit after all passengers have cleared the gate area. Sorry my friend, but have you heard of anger management?

crj200faguy

Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:11 am

There's a reason they're called Unloved Minors.

alaska737

Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:20 am

Hmmm....looks like AS was closed, too, but this agent was slow getting out the door. She'll learn. If she had left on time, would AS have been any different than NW

yeah your right, it feels so crappy to help someone.....that CSA made a huge mistake...  Yeah sure

I would have to agree with ANCflyer, NW's CSA's have no excuse and I would recommend filing a complaint to make sure this kind of thing doesn't happen again, on the bright side, I'm glad AS stepped up to the plate and helped out.

XPjets

Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:27 am

NW policy, last I checked the CSA handbooks, was to accompany UMs through the security checkpoint to baggage claim and hand over to registered greeting party there (or at smaller outstations, at the ticket counter if it's co-located with baggage claim. I understand the frustration, and I agree that the bare-bones staffing's a little questionable, but someone with an NW badge, regardless of job title, would have escorted her until they could sign her over to you. That being said, glad everything worked out!
GO SIOUX!

cbphoto

Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:51 am

This shouldn't even be a debate, everyone knows NWs customer service isnt exactly the best! In a matter of fact you should almost expect no customer service, and in the off chance you get customer service from NW, consider yourself very lucky! Its just the corporate culture of the company and people who want the absolute lowest fare just add to the problem. In this day and age of cutbacks, things have to go, and apparently in ANC it was the staff levels and times of the staffing. Now I am no way saying this makes the situation right, because it absolutely does not, and even though I dont have kids, I am pretty sure I would know what it feels like to be in that situation. What I am trying to say is, is that you have every right to be pissed, but its something should just expect when you fly this and other certain carriers. However I am happy to see that you and your daughter were re-united, and I wish the best of luck on her further UM travels!!

Quoting CRJ200FAGuy (Reply 21):
There's a reason they're called Unloved Minors.

even someone who has traveled as a UM many times, This is still pretty funny!! It def made my night!!
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:01 am

Quoting Hsw3rd (Reply 20):
Hey Pal, chill out up there; and clean up your language.

sarcastic 

Easy killer . . .

language . . .  sarcastic 

rotfl 

you ain't seen nuthin yet.

Nuf said to you.

your anger is missplaced

We're talking about my daughter here . . . not your misplaced piece of Ricardo.

Sorry my friend, but have you heard of anger management?

Once again  rotfl 

If you think I'm angry, then well, you need to hang around this site more . . . or not.

Many UMs are escorted out to the Security Check

I invite you to NWs own rules - and the numerous threads/posts on this site . . . that are posted by crew about that "deadbeat" parents that don't meet their kids, won't call, hours go by . . .

NWs own rules say, MEET AT THE GATE . . .

Show me different and I'll STFU . . . til then . . well, I win. And don't call me pal, you don't even know me.

Quoting XPJets (Reply 23):
was to accompany UMs through the security checkpoint to baggage claim and hand over to registered greeting party there

Quoting XPJets (Reply 23):
(or at smaller outstations, at the ticket counter if it's co-located with baggage claim.

Both have to be manned, am I right?

And since there was NO ONE at EITHER location, I am supposed to take a frackin' guess as about which rule I am to go by . . .

Once again:

When even the Res Agent at the 800 number tells me NW screwed the pooch . . . well . .

They gawddamn well better do a better job on the return to CID . . .

Period, End, Next?

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:45 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 25):
NWs own rules say, MEET AT THE GATE . . .

http://www.nwa.com/services/onboard/minor/UM_Brochure.pdf

How will my child be met when they arrive?
The person designated on the Unaccompanied Minor form to
meet the child at the destination airport should plan to arrive at
the arrival gate at least 15 - 30 minutes before scheduled arrival.
Northwest’s automated flight information system is available to
determine the status of the child’s flight at 1-800-225-2525.

Well, that was the intent . . . . meet at the GATE!! I called and I checked the computer . .. arrival time was 1511 . . . I got to ANC at 1415. . . I believe I met the rule.

Continuing from NWs own brochure:

Because airport concourses are now secured to ticketed
passengers only, the designated person should allow additional
time to obtain the required gate pass from a Northwest ticket
counter agent and to proceed through the security checkpoint.M

Well, I rather thought fifty seven minutes sufficient lead time . . . and of course, SOMEONE from NW has to be actually PRESENT!!!!

I'm almost done here. NW screwed up . . . period, sentence, para, done.

[Edited 2007-12-16 00:47:36]

Lono

Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:58 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Thread starter):
I wanted to reach through the phone and rip out his heart . . . show it to him while still beating.

ANCFlyer..... this is exactly how I feel when I have to fly out of ANC and get inept low paid uncaring CSA's.... as of late I have been trying to use CO out of ANC... so far so good... flights out and in on time... service is nice... not like AS, DL, NW, UA (UA is dead to me since they left us with seasonal service).... NW service is the pits here and AS is a close second... and I am a gold MVP and I always feel like I am putting AS out by giving them my business here... anyway... ANC service levels have gone to hell....

And for someone on here to tell you to cool it and watch your language.... I say tell them to go pound sand...
Wally Bird Ruled the Skys!

davescj

Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:42 am

The following is taken from the PDF version of UM policies on the NW site:

How will my child be met when they arrive?
The person designated on the Unaccompanied Minor form to
meet the child at the destination airport should plan to arrive at
the arrival gate at least 15 - 30 minutes before scheduled arrival.
Northwest’s automated flight information system is available to
determine the status of the child’sflight at 1-800-225-2525.
Because airportconcourses arenow secured to ticketed
passengers only, the designated person should allow additional
time to obtain the required gate pass from a Northwest ticket
counter agent and to proceed through the security checkpoint.
The designated person must present a photo ID to the agent,
along with the child's name and flight number.
After verifying identification at the gate and obtaining a
corresponding signature on the Unaccompanied Minor form,
the Northwest employee will release your child to the
designated individual.
If you are meeting your child in Detroit, Memphis or
Minneapolis/St. Paul and are running late, your child may be
taken to the WorldKids Club. If this happens, ask a Northwest
customer service agent to call the room, and a Northwest
employee will meet you at a designated location.

I therefore respond:

As posted, NW EXPLICTLY expects parents to meet children at the gate. That BY DEFINITION REQUIRES NW to make a gate pass available. Period. FULL STOP.

Had I called the NWA, and gotten them, I would have asked for supervisor. I don't care what NW staffing issues are. Period. NOT MY PROBLEM. NW has required a parent go to the gate. Therefore, they need to ensure said parent can get there.

Now, as to the whole UM thing, I think it would much easier of NW/any airline could simply as part of the reservation INCLUDE a letter for the TSA stating date/flight/etc which would be valid for hte day of arrival. But that would be to easy.

If, as NW obviously knows at the time of the reservation, that NO GATE agent would be available, the parent should be notified. There is no excuse for the lack of information, as NW requires you call the 800 to make the reservation and notify them it is an UM traveling. They could inform at the time of reservation that no counter agent will be available, but NW works with X airline in that situation.

Good for the lady at AS. Too bad ANC via IAH isn't an option for you.

Glad your daughter is safe, far and away the most important reality.

Davescj
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

Wolverhampton

Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:22 am

You might like to change the title of this thread to "Bah Humbug" as in the Christmas spelling. Wouldn't want any confusion with BA.

northwestair

Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:30 am

The 10 Years that I worked for NWA anytime we had a RON flight that had UM's onboard we would escort them thru security to meet with the parents. This was because you had 1 agent to meet the plane and then run down stairs to work luggage service. This being said I don't think that NWA was in the wrong. And Yes ANCflyer I do have kids that travel as UM's. Well good luck on your rant that you're making I don't really think you're going to get anything from it, but you do make me laugh. I just see you jumping up and down stomping your feet!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh well I'm glad I don't have to listen to people like you anymore
I don't care who you fly just as long as you fly

b707forever

Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:43 pm

This story reminds me of the time I worked with AA at LAX and NW was the next counter over, it was the 70's. Anyway, a mis-connecting family from Rosario, Argentina appeared at the NW counter and it was abandoned. I was the first AA agent closest to the family. The wife broke out in sobs, the husband looked like he was going to burst.

It was about 2pm and AA LAX counter was empty back then at that time. I called them over, calmed them down and figured out the next flight to Tokyo was on Pan Am. When I instructed them to head over to Pan Am it became clear to me they would get very lost. No English and had been already travelling 36 hours. We were slow so I got on the bus with them and escorted them to Pan Am. They were very very grateful. I thought if my parents were stuck in Tokyo and couldn't speak Japanese I'd hope someone would help, and truth is, I know they would at Narita!

Oh, the kicker? I was written up by AA for "leaving my post," which, by the way, there were no passengers waiting at anytime during my "journey" which took a total of 20 minutes and I mentioned to a colleague I was going to help these people out. When I tried to fight being written up as I was helping someone who would always remember AA the supervisor said "I don't care." Perhaps that was a sign of the times to come for AA too!

AmtrakGuy

Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:51 pm

ANCFlyer, I suggest you file a complaint with DOT. Go to: http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/problems.htm

There seem to be a conflict -- are you suppose to go to the gate (per website policy and other posts)? Or UM will be escorted to the TSA to meet the parents per many agents stated here. Maybe it's time for DOT clarify NWA (and other airlines) policy on UM.

srbmod

Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:30 pm

Since some of you want to use this thread as an opportunity to personally attack a forum member and question his position as a Forum Moderator (When you attack one member of the moderator staff, the rest of us view it as an attack on all of us.), this thread is being locked. If you have an issue with some of the stuff he posted, airing them in open forum is not the proper way of doing things.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos