Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

jfk787nyc
Topic Author

Continental Flt. 97 TXL-EWR Emergency Landing LGW

Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:28 pm

Continental flt 97 TXL-EWR had to make an emergency landing at Gatwick, Flight will leave LGW tomorrow morning at 7:30am. All these problems occurred even after the flight was delayed because of maintenance issues in Berlin for 7 Hours there as well.

My mother is on this plane can someone please tell me what is she intitled too receive from Continental they have already provided her with a hotel in London but I know she is supposed to receive money from Continental.

OHLHD

Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:35 pm

Quoting Jfk787nyc (Thread starter):
My mother is on this plane can someone please tell me what is she intitled too receive from Continental they have already provided her with a hotel in London but I know she is supposed to receive money from Continental.

Good question, but if it is a technical issue she will most likely not get any money or so.

jfk787nyc
Topic Author

Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:41 pm

I am sorry I thought that only weather related delays are not intitled to money.

technical related problems do get money as this is the carriers responsibility

JBLUA320

Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:43 pm

I doubt she'll get money, but perhaps a voucher good for a future flight on Continental.

JBLU

jfk787nyc
Topic Author

Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:44 pm

roundtrip for a future flight on Continental?

OHLHD

Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:48 pm

https://www.continental.com/web/en-us/content/co_contract_of_carriage.2007120701.pdf

Check Page 34, B, 4g of the CO Condition of Carriage

This might protect CO from paying any money.

The best thing is to check after arrival what the possibilities are.  Smile

MCIGuy

Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:50 pm

US took off 20 minutes early and stranded me in CLT overnight. I had to sleep on an airport floor and I only got $100 off my next flight and I had to use it within a year. I'll never fly US again, much less within one year.
Airliners.net Moderator Team

lincoln

Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:54 pm

Quoting JFK787NYC (Reply 4):
roundtrip for a future flight on Continental

Continental doesn't (AFAIK) do the free round-trip thing; instead they do cash-equivilant vouchers (lowest I've seen/received - $200; highest I've heard offered (for an oversell where they were having a real hard time getting volunteers) $500-- presumably they may offer more for an international itinerary.

According to a couple "FAQs" about the EU passenger rules, airlines are not required to pay compensation if the delay (assuming that's the heading it falls under) is due to "extraordinary circumstances" -- I would think that an emergency landing would fall into that category.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

UN_B732

Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:58 pm

However, the original 7 hour delay would not be caused by a diversion, and seems to make her eligible for the max EU compensation.

-A
What now?

lincoln

Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:01 pm

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 5):

The best thing is to check after arrival what the possibilities are.

And... There are plenty of situations where CO is not contractually (or legally ) obligated to offer compensation but where they may be willing to do so as a customer service gesture.

They are significantly less likely to do so in such cases when you approach them screaming, throwing things, using profanity, taking swings at people, with an entitlement complex, or otherwise behaving irrationally, or any combination of the above. -- be calm, and polite and you're much more likely to get something you want.

(Though I do find it curious and mildly amusing that CO's CLE Customer Service Center has a punching bag clamped to the counter  Smile )
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

style

Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:08 pm

My mother is on this plane can someone please tell me what is she intitled too receive from Continental

Wow, thats the first thing on your mind, what's in it for her. No wonder the airline industry is in the state that it is.

AA737-823

Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:10 pm

but I know she is supposed to receive money from Continental.

No she's not.

jfk787nyc
Topic Author

Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:13 pm

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 5):
User currently offlineOHLHD From Finland, joined Dec 2004, 2159 posts, RR: 4
Reply 5, posted Sun Dec 16 2007 17:48:58 your local time (14 minutes 38 secs ago) and read 110 times:

https://www.continental.com/web/en-us/content/co_contract_of_carriage.2007120701.pdf

The best thing is to check after arrival what the possibilities are.

Well, This flight was delayed from the beginning, People had to sit on the tamarac for 5 Hours until the plane came back to the gate, After 7 and a half hours Continental said everything is fixed and ready to go. So, people boarded and the plane left. Then 3 Hours into flight the captian came on the loud speaker and said we will not make it over the Atlantic if we keep flying and we will need to land in London. They have advised that there will be a special Continental flight departing tomorrow London Gatwick at 7:30am Flight 1970. They have booked people into hotels in London and gave them food vouchers. The people at the gate were talking about some sort of compensation around 600 Euros but they will only be able to figure out the compensation when they get back to Newark. Will it help if I would call into Continental and specify that I am a Northwest Platinum Elite and give them my card number?

jfk787nyc
Topic Author

Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:17 pm

Guys, I know my mother is ok as she already has been in the Hilton Hotel in London Gatwick. This is a huge inconvenience for everyone on the plane I am sure. If Continental was worried about the plane crossing the water why didn't they just stay in Berlin? My mother is the Assistant Vice President of the whole New York Life Insurance Company, She needs to be at work tomorrow as she is coming from a week and a half vacation. I am asking how it works because it is not her fault she can not be at work tomorrow morning.

EWRCabincrew

Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:29 pm

Quoting JFK787NYC (Reply 12):
People had to sit on the tamarac for 5 Hours until the plane came back to the gate,

Did the flight leave the gate (doors closed, demo shown, etc., taxi to a different area then sat on the ground for 5 hours before taxiing back to the gate? The reason I ask this is the crew was shown departing at TXL (finally) at 1621 and arriving LGW at 1814. The crew would be shown as getting paid for that time on the ground before returning to the gate, which they are not.

Just trying to piece it together.
You can't cure stupid

OHLHD

Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:32 pm

Quoting JFK787NYC (Reply 13):
My mother is the Assistant Vice President of the whole New York Life Insurance Company, She needs to be at work tomorrow as she is coming from a week and a half vacation. I am asking how it works because it is not her fault she can not be at work tomorrow morning.

If she prooves that it was not her fault I can't see no problem then.  Smile

workflyer

Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:33 pm

My mother is the Assistant Vice President of the whole New York Life Insurance Company, She needs to be at work tomorrow as she is coming from a week and a half vacation. I am asking how it works because it is not her fault she can not be at work tomorrow morning.

If she is that desparate to get back to the office, why does she not buy a ticket on another carrier?

Personally I applaud airlines which err on the side of safety and cancel flights for maintenance issues. I have heard people moan and complain at airports because of mx delays. Sure as hell I am happier for a delay than an emergency landing somewhere, or worse.

BlueShamu330s

Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:35 pm

WorkFlyer, kudos, respect, et al.

The CO guys are safety orientated to the nth degree, and any carrier with such an ethos should be highfly respected.

Claim culture is a cancer of society.

Shamu

[Edited 2007-12-16 15:40:58]
Flying around India

BNinMSY

Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:42 pm

I'm sure your mother will be fine. THese things happen and the airline has done it's best to ensure the safety of all passengers onboard. We, the flying public, need to realize that the airline has everyone's best interest at heart in a situation like this.

If your mother is a VP - at that level her employer will understand and not fire her for being late for work.
Don't you think?

Oh .. and I don't believe Continental cares about any status in a competing airlines program. Unfortunatley this holds NO weight whatsoever. The public has a misperception of 'status' levels between partner airlines.

roseflyer

Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:45 pm

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 1):
Good question, but if it is a technical issue she will most likely not get any money or so.

Here are the rights. Cancellations require compensation, but delays do not even if they are long as 24 hours.

http://images.delta.com.edgesuite.net/delta/pdfs/eu_notice.pdf

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 7):
According to a couple "FAQs" about the EU passenger rules, airlines are not required to pay compensation if the delay (assuming that's the heading it falls under) is due to "extraordinary circumstances" -- I would think that an emergency landing would fall into that category.

I think that an emergency landing actually does not fall into that category. If it is a mechanical failure causing a diversion (and not weather/passenger disturbance/medical) then they should have to pay for hotels and compensation. The EU classifies the following as beyond the control of an airline: bad weather, strike action, or delays caused by air-traffic control or security alerts.

Quoting BlueShamu330s (Reply 14):
Couldn't agree more. If you're on a Greyhound and it breaks down, do you get put up overnight and with meal and drinks allowance on the company? No, I thought not.

Greyhound does put you in a hotel if you are delayed and it is their fault. However mechanical breakdowns/weather/labor disputes etc... are not viewed as their fault. So it's rare that they will, but if somehow scheduling messes up and your bus trip is cancelled, then they will put you in a hotel and giive you food on the company's dime.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

jfk787nyc
Topic Author

Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:48 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 15):
EWRCabincrew From Canada, joined May 2006, 3810 posts, RR: 37
Reply 15, posted Sun Dec 16 2007 18:29:41 your local time (10 minutes 59 secs ago) and read 39 times:t

People had to sit on the tamarac for 5 Hours until the plane came back to the gate,

Did the flight leave the gate (doors closed, demo shown, etc., taxi to a different area then sat on the ground for 5 hours before taxiing back to the gate? The reason I ask this is the crew was shown departing at TXL (finally) at 1621 and arriving LGW at 1814. The crew would be shown as getting paid for that time on the ground before returning to the gate, which they are not.

Just trying to piece it together.

The plane was boarded it moved away, 9am TXL Time, The passengers sat on the plane until 1:30pm. The plane came back to the terminal and let passengers off until 4pm. At 4pm the passengers came back on and the plane departed until it landed in Gatwick. Now, everyone on the plane will only be getting into Newark tomorrow at 11:30 am.

Slovacek747

Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:52 pm

I agree with a prior statement. If your mother is the freakin VP of New York Life Insurance Company, I can guarantee it is not biggie if she does not make it to work tomorrow. Everything can be rescheduled around her schedule.

Slovacek747

jfk787nyc
Topic Author

Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:53 pm

=

Quoting BNinMSY (Reply 19):
USER PROFILE SEND INSTANT MSG ADD TO RESP MEMBERS SUGGEST DELETION QUOTE SELECTED TEXT _
User currently offlineBNinMSY From United States, joined Nov 2005, 215 posts, RR: 0
Reply 19, posted Sun Dec 16 2007 18:42:29 your local time (6 minutes 30 secs ago) and read 52 times: Support Airliners.net - become a First Class Member!

I'm sure your mother will be fine. THese things happen and the airline has done it's best to ensure the safety of all passengers onboard. We, the flying public, need to realize that the airline has everyone's best interest at heart in a situation like this.

If your mother is a VP - at that level her employer will understand and not fire her for being late for work.
Don't you think?

Oh .. and I don't believe Continental cares about any status in a competing airlines program. Unfortunatley this holds NO weight whatsoever. The public has a misperception of 'status' levels between partner airlines.

No she will not get fired, She has a meeting tomorrow morning in the office with people from India.

Quoting WorkFlyer (Reply 17):
SER PROFILE SEND INSTANT MSG ADD TO RESP MEMBERS SUGGEST DELETION SELECTED TEXT QUOTED _
User currently offlineWorkFlyer From New Zealand, joined Dec 2006, 147 posts, RR: 0
Reply 17, posted Sun Dec 16 2007 18:33:03 your local time (15 minutes 55 secs ago) and read 119 times:

If she is that desparate to get back to the office, why does she not buy a ticket on another carrier?

Personally I applaud airlines which err on the side of safety and cancel flights for maintenance issues. I have heard people moan and complain at airports because of mx delays. Sure as hell I am happier for a delay than an emergency landing somewhere, or worse.

Well because she was not in Berlin for business, And she already spent around $4'000 for a business class ticket. So, to spend another $1'200 for an economy class ticket to JFK does'nt really seem like a smart idea.

BlueShamu330s

Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:54 pm

Unfortunatley this holds NO weight whatsoever.

Why "unfortunately"? Why should it? A disruption to the flight was caused by a SAFETY issue, resulting in a diversion to LGW (with, incidentally, no PAN or MAYDAY), and which had nothing to do with any other carrier, so whether you're a $150 student special or the CEO of God Inc., you aint gonna get on Larry King for the experience.

Would Madam VP be happier sipping her Mohito whilst the 757 went down into the atlantic, or in a nice 4* hotel in London whilst Continental rescheduled an extra flight to accomodate the delayed passengers tomorrow morning ?

Jeez, what else could the company have done?

Shamu
Flying around India

BlueShamu330s

Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:59 pm

Quoting JFK787NYC (Reply 21):
The plane was boarded it moved away, 9am TXL Time, The passengers sat on the plane until 1:30pm.

Can anyone inside CO on here confirm/refute this?

I find it incredulous that CO would leave passengers stuck on board on the ground for almost 5 hours.

Shamu
Flying around India

wjcandee

Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:04 am

They have booked people into hotels in London and gave them food vouchers.

Hate to say this, but if people have to be somewhere on pain of being fired, they shouldn't be planning to arrive (back) there the night before. Many people in the airline business are terminated, period, if they no-show more than X times (sometimes, therefore, if they no show at all) regardless of the excuse. Not surprisingly, and knowing the airline industry, they don't plan to have their flight arrive at their check-in point 15 minutes before they're supposed to be there. Because stuff happens.

Me, personally, I would call whomever I needed to call, explain the situation, and take the opportunity to enjoy a day in London, not sit in my hotel room waiting for the time to return to the airport and wondering whether I'm gonna be fired.

In short, I'm sure Mom will be just fine. Everybody on every airplane (except me, I guess) has some story about how they or what they have to do is SOOOOOO important that the airline should be able to wiggle their nose and execute their schedule just as it was planned. Because everything else in life is perfect and always goes according to plan so they should never have to plan for contingencies, and they will always never fly that airline again because that airline is imperfect and all other airlines are perfect.

To me, a "perfect" airline is one that does the right thing with safety as its first guide, and trains its people not to be concerned about whatever financial effects may arise from doing the right thing every time regarding safety. It's pretty darn disturbing that the Europeans are putting into place financial penalties that may cause airlines to do things with the financial penalty as the imperative (like, say the way over-discussed British Airways 3-engine 747 transcontinental/transatlantic flight).

What's even funny is how many times in irregular operations there are so many squeaky wheels squeaking that when it's my turn to have my situation dealt with, a smile and an amusing comment from me causes some poor customer service person to -- totally without prompting -- give me some special little treat. When that happens -- because I don't expect it to happen -- I think warmly of my parents, who taught me (and showed me by example) the proper way to behave. Being good is supposed to be its own reward, but apparently it's so rare among airline passengers that it often leads to a reward!  Smile

corey07850

Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:13 am

Quoting JFK787NYC (Reply 21):

The plane was boarded it moved away, 9am TXL Time, The passengers sat on the plane until 1:30pm. The plane came back to the terminal and let passengers off until 4pm. At 4pm the passengers came back on and the plane departed until it landed in Gatwick. Now, everyone on the plane will only be getting into Newark tomorrow at 11:30 am.

This doesn't make sense because they crew would run out of duty unless they just happened to have a fresh 75/76 crew just hanging on in Berlin for no reason.

Quoting JFK787NYC (Reply 23):

Well because she was not in Berlin for business, And she already spent around $4'000 for a business class ticket. So, to spend another $1'200 for an economy class ticket to JFK does'nt really seem like a smart idea.

A) If she is a VP, what's another 1200 bucks?
B) If she has such an important meeting with people from India on Monday morning, why would she take a vacation to Germany and come back the day before - leaving no room for error... Not smart on your mom's part.

Either way, I'm calling BS on this whole story except for the plane had to divert to LGW

IADCA

Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:20 am

Item 28(C)(3) of CO's Contract of Carriage (page 41 of the PDF) specifically disclaims consequential damages. In plain English, that means by buying a ticket with Continental, she agreed to hold them harmless for that. No compensation on that count. It sucks, but that's the way it is. As many others have mentioned, she won't get fired or anything.

EWRCabincrew

Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:39 am

Quoting Corey07850 (Reply 27):
This doesn't make sense because they crew would run out of duty unless they just happened to have a fresh 75/76 crew just hanging on in Berlin for no reason.

One thing I forgot, too.

One thing that doesn't seem right. You said the flight left at 0900. Scheduled is at 0940. There is no way that the flight would leave minutes early. 20 maybe, if all passengers were onboard, 10 certainly, again if all passengers were onboard, but 40 minutes. No way.

The crew is shown not being paid for that time it left the gate.

I am trying to get the exact info.
You can't cure stupid

antonovman

Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:43 am

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 8):
However, the original 7 hour delay would not be caused by a diversion, and seems to make her eligible for the max EU compensation.

I think the EU rules and compensation only apply to EU based airlines, not foreign airlines flying in the EU

EWRCabincrew

Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:46 am

Quoting Antonovman (Reply 30):
I think the EU rules and compensation only apply to EU based airlines, not foreign airlines flying in the EU

It applies to all airlines flying to/from the EU.
You can't cure stupid

fsnuffer

Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:36 am

She received a safe landing and was able to walk off the plane intact. A good landing is any one you can walk away from  Smile

lincoln

Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:44 am

$4'000 for a business class ticket. So, to spend another $1'200 for an economy class ticket to JFK does'nt really seem like a smart idea.

Hate to break it to you, but you do what you have to do. $4000 isn't that much, and $1200 certainly isn't highway robbery, especially if that meeting's so important. To put things in perspective, I regularly shell out $1200 for a CLE-RIC RT -- a total of less than a 1000 miles.

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 26):
Hate to say this, but if people have to be somewhere on pain of being fired, they shouldn't be planning to arrive (back) there the night before.

Excatly. If the meeting's that important plan to be back a day early -- expect the unexpected, especially this time of year.

Oh .. and I don't believe Continental cares about any status in a competing airlines program.

Actually, CO does recoginze NW status to some level because of how intertwined those airlines elite programs are as far as automatic upgrades, etc. That doesn't however mean that calling up like a pr*ck and pulling the "Do you know who I am?" crap will make any difference, especially since you aren't the person who bought the ticket or the person flying. If anything, it may provoke a work-to-policy reaction.

My mother is the Assistant Vice President of the whole New York Life Insurance Company,

You can rest easy knowing that there are approximately 140,000 Assistant Vice Presidents* of large companies in the world. And none of them is any more special than the garbage collector who also paid $4000 for their ticket.

Continental's first priority is customer safety. After making the decision that despite their original belief it was unwise to continue the trip the crew put the aircraft on the ground -- safely -- and arranged for hotel rooms at a decent hotel, plus an extra section tomorrow morning (Surely CO does not have extra aircraft and crews hanging out at LGW just in case), with meals in between.

Yeah, it's inconvenient, buit...

Lincoln
* If it mattered to anyone, it's worth noting that in NY Life's annual report executives listed include the President, CEO, CIO, 3 Executive Vice Presidents, and 51 Senior Vice Presidents; it doesn't include any Vice Presidents or Assistant Vice Presidents...which shows you how important the own company feels they are...

nosedive

Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:09 am

My mother is the Assistant Vice President of the whole New York Life Insurance Company,

No she will not get fired, She has a meeting tomorrow morning in the office with people from India.

As stated before, VPs get a lot of leeway. This is why your mother is a VP, and you can only waste time in "teh intaerwebs."

freshlove1

Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:20 am

They have booked people into hotels in London and gave them food vouchers

There is your compensation.

blueflyer

Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:46 am

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 20):
Here are the rights. Cancellations require compensation, but delays do not even if they are long as 24 hours.

Delays over 5 hours entitle you to ask for a reimbursement of the unused portion of your ticket (but the carrier no longer has to get you to your destination, of course). This measure was specifically inserted to prevent what would otherwise be a cancellation from turning into a very long delay in order to avoid cancellation-related penalties.

And she already spent around $4'000 for a business class ticket. So, to spend another $1'200 for an economy class ticket to JFK does'nt really seem like a smart idea.

Quoting Corey07850 (Reply 27):

A) If she is a VP, what's another 1200 bucks?
B) If she has such an important meeting with people from India on Monday morning, why would she take a vacation to Germany and come back the day before - leaving no room for error... Not smart on your mom's part.

C) If mom knew EU rules, she would have asked Continental a refund for the return portion of her trip as soon as the delay hit 5 hours and she would have had enough to pay $1,200 for the new ticket.

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 26):
Hate to say this, but if people have to be somewhere on pain of being fired, they shouldn't be planning to arrive (back) there the night before.

I'd rephrase that to say people with a large disposable income traveling for leisure. For others, it may not be avoided.

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 7):

Practical applications of the rules are still somewhat fluid as each EU member is in charge of enforcement within its borders, and some have not had much experience yet, but "extraordinary circumstances" generally include issues over which the airline has absolutely not control, such as the weather or ATC. A technical issue is something the carrier could, or should, have had control over, (by doing better maintenance, more maintenance, whatever), at least this seems to be the prevailing trend so far.

lincoln

Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:58 am

Quoting BlueFlyer (Reply 35):
I'd rephrase that to say people with a large disposable income traveling for leisure.

I don't see why -- when I was in college I was lacking in the "disposable income" category, but when I was traveling for leasure I was sure to book the return flight at least one day before my next obligation (e.g. if class started on Monday, the _latest_ return flight I would consider was Saturday afternoon. If that meant the airfare was outside of what I had budgeted I just didn't travel (or I found somewhere else to travel to)

Lincoln

JKJ777

Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:41 am

wow, would you not be more concerned about your mothers safety than compensation.........this is why so much of the world has negative opinions of Americans. I just hope all the passengers get to their destination safely.

[Edited 2007-12-16 19:43:04]

jmy007

Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:51 am

I don't understand how her job has any bearing on this particular situation. Certainly there are dozens of other people traveling on business or heading home for the holidays, or heading on holidays, who have equally important positions, or are important to someone or have somewhere important to be.
Instead, be happy that passengers on this particular flight are safe and sound in a cozy upscale hotel bed in London, care of CO, rather that on the front page of the worlds newspapers.

Don't be so quick to ask "What's in it for Mom" What's in it for her is that she'll be home and working her "important" position a day later, none the worse for wear. And I am sure folks coming all the way from India will understand that this happens in travel.

[Edited 2007-12-16 19:53:33]
Cookies are the Gateway pastry. They lead to Éclairs and Bear Claws.

TUNisia

Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:55 am

Well then I'm sure she has access to a laptop, blackberry, and or mobile phone. Let the company know what's going on, but I'm sure she already has. Stuff like this happens in life.
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

Flighty

Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:59 am

I don't see what this thread is about.

So a CO flight diverted. Some lady, an a.netters mom, who is employed, was inconvenienced.

Wow! La-de-frekin'-da. Another normal evening, another safe landing made.

Airlines do not guarantee they will get you home without delay. It's not written down anywhere. However, with mechanical delays, they will put you in hotels and feed you until they are able to fly you. It may take 24 extra hours though, and the airline will not "compensate" you for "pain and suffering."

Delays do happen. Still, jets are faster than steamships or canoes. Jets are not perfect, and to expect perfection is to miscalculate the situation, which is the fault of passengers. Flexibility is a nice thing in private lives. Which is none of the airline's business, one way or the other.

People don't get fired for being on a delayed flight. But they do get fired for poor judgment. That happens a lot. Not saying that applies here, but if the job is in question, that does mean the person has made mistakes.

ikramerica

Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:26 am

If an airline were responsible for lost compensation of passengers due to delays, they would refuse to fly high income people around. Or atleast charge them a surcharge to cover the liability for paying them off if their flight is delayed.

I'm sure CO will offer her some kind of voucher. what else cab they do? She's also been put up in a hotel and given meals. Sounds like they are doing what they should do?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

IADLHR

Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:55 am

he plane left. Then 3 Hours into flight the captian came on the loud speaker and said we will not make it over the Atlantic if we keep flying and we will need to land in London.

Sorry to be so negative but it is not 3 hours flying time between TXL-London.

Does anybody have any idea what the original mechanical problem was? Why did they sit 5 hours on the tarmac at TXL?

All in all, be glad they were still over land when , whatever the problem was, developed. It sounds, based on the captains announcement, that it was, perhaps, a serious, problem.

iahcsr

Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:19 am

They have advised that there will be a special Continental flight departing tomorrow London Gatwick at 7:30am Flight 1970

That will be the same aircraft (Ship 141) and crew. I can't see what the problem was, but the Fltfo history goes for five or six pages... Looks like original plan was a fuel stop in Canada as well....  bigmouth   banghead 
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

N1120A

Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:17 am

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 5):

International flights generally follow the Warsaw Convention, not the CoC. Further, the aforementioned EU compensation rules also apply to foreign carriers.

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 32):
$4000 isn't that much

Yes it is.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

airtrainer

Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:38 am

I thought the thread was about an emergency landing... I'm sad to see that the first thing people can think about in such a situation is "hummm, how much will I (or he / she) get ?"
Life is short : eat dessert first !

nyskymasters

Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:39 am

Quoting BlueShamu330s (Reply 24):
Can anyone inside CO on here confirm/refute this?

According to CO flifo history the plane never left the gate. It was to do an unplanned fuel stop then that was scrapped and was to operate to EWR nonstop. (Knowing what the weather was like firsthand this does not surprise me.) The flifo then just shows a creeping mechanical delay.

As far as three hours into the flight and then suddenly being told that they would be landing in LGW I don't really believe it since the flight was only in the air for 1:25 before landing at LGW (take of from TXL at 1640 and on the ground at LGW at 1805.)

I, like all CO employees, hate to see this happen but safety is more important than a meeting.

expatmatt

Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:12 am

Here is what SABRE is showing:

CO RESPONSE
0097/16DEC
P TXL/OUT 421P L06.41 ‡
P TXL/OFF 440P ‡
P LGW/ON 605P ‡
P LGW/IN 614P L00.04 ‡
D LGW/ETD 0000A L17.00 OPTG AS FLT 1970
F YYR/ETA CXLD ETD CXLD
P EWR/ETA 759P L07.04 ‡*
F EWR/ETA 1041P L09.46
D CRC/MAINTENANCE DELAY - SEE CO1970/17DEC ETD 730A
D FCF/DVRT LGW ENRT TXL-EWR A/DVRT MAINTENANCE
D HDQ/TXL EWR PROT UNDER GG CNL APD

SKED TXL ORIG 940A GTD A0-1 SHIP 141
EWR 1255P TERM GTA C136

and for Flight 1970:
CO RESPONSE
1970/17DEC
F LGW/ETD 730A ON TIME
F EWR/ETA 1101A E00.09
D FCF/CUSTOMERS OFF DELAYED F97/16DEC

SKED LGW ORIG 730A GTD 45C SHIP 141
EWR 1110A TERM GTA C130

FiveMileFinal

Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:29 am

So I'm assuming Ship 141 is a 75?

Any more info as to specifically why the plane went MX?
You goin'? We fly you dere! You been? We done already flew up in dere!

jfk787nyc
Topic Author

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:20 am

Quoting Expatmatt (Reply 47):
User currently offlineExpatmatt From Canada, joined Oct 2004, 56 posts, RR: 0
Reply 47, posted Sun Dec 16 2007 20:12:36 your local time (2 hours 55 minutes 40 secs ago) and read 1418 times:

Here is what SABRE is showing:

CO RESPONSE
0097/16DEC
P TXL/OUT 421P L06.41 ‡
P TXL/OFF 440P ‡
P LGW/ON 605P ‡
P LGW/IN 614P L00.04 ‡
D LGW/ETD 0000A L17.00 OPTG AS FLT 1970
F YYR/ETA CXLD ETD CXLD
P EWR/ETA 759P L07.04 ‡*
F EWR/ETA 1041P L09.46
D CRC/MAINTENANCE DELAY - SEE CO1970/17DEC ETD 730A
D FCF/DVRT LGW ENRT TXL-EWR A/DVRT MAINTENANCE
D HDQ/TXL EWR PROT UNDER GG CNL APD

SKED TXL ORIG 940A GTD A0-1 SHIP 141
EWR 1255P TERM GTA C136

Ok, The people sat on the plane until 1:30pm from 9:30am. Left at 4:21pm. The plane arrived in 6 o Clock and it took 2:30 mins to book into Hilton Hotel in Gatwick. Which meant it is was 8:30 at night. So, everyone on the plane arrived at 6:30am to the terminal at Gatwick, Flight 1970 Started taxi to takeoff at 7:30am at 7:50am returned to gate for no reason. Finally departed from London at 8:50am and is scheduled to arrive finally at 12:18pm in Newark.

AND.....

For all of A.Net blabbing Continental has a check ready in Newark for $600 US Dollars when she gets to Newark.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos