Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

b707forever

Continental Flt. 97 TXL-EWR Emergency Landing LGW

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:22 am

What a lot of nasty answers, I'm surprised, well, perhaps not surprised, but disappointed.

Quoting WorkFlyer (Reply 16):
If she is that desparate to get back to the office, why does she not buy a ticket on another carrier?

My hunch is she arrived too late to make the transfer to LHR to make the last trip. Besides, I'm sure CO would have paid for that if she asked, wouldn't they? One would hope.

Quoting JFK787NYC (Reply 20):
The plane was boarded it moved away, 9am TXL Time, The passengers sat on the plane until 1:30pm. The plane came back to the terminal and let passengers off until 4pm. At 4pm the passengers came back on and the plane departed until it landed in Gatwick. Now, everyone on the plane will only be getting into Newark tomorrow at 11:30 am.

She's already earned a free ticket just for that 4.5 hour trapped delay.

Quoting BlueShamu330s (Reply 23):
Why "unfortunately"? Why should it? A disruption to the flight was caused by a SAFETY issue, resulting in a diversion to LGW (with, incidentally, no PAN or MAYDAY), and which had nothing to do with any other carrier, so whether you're a $150 student special or the CEO of God Inc., you aint gonna get on Larry King for the experience.

Would Madam VP be happier sipping her Mohito whilst the 757 went down into the atlantic, or in a nice 4* hotel in London whilst Continental rescheduled an extra flight to accomodate the delayed passengers tomorrow morning ?

Jeez, what else could the company have done?

Let's start with not having people sit on an aircraft for 4.5 hours going nowhere because they likely didn't want to pay another gate fee. And, for the record, JFK787NYC never complained about what happened, he/she just asked what was the appropriate entitlement for a situation of this nature. It's amazing how people will use just about any thread to attack.

jfk787nyc
Topic Author

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:25 am

Oh and for all you guys who claim Continental doesn't care about partner Platinum Elite your wrong. But, they care especially about NWA Platinum Elite as Continental also sells hundreds of tickets through NWA hub in Amsterdam. Plus, NWA does own 20% of the company.

jfk787nyc
Topic Author

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:33 am

Quoting B707forever (Reply 50):
Quoting WorkFlyer (Reply 16):
If she is that desparate to get back to the office, why does she not buy a ticket on another carrier?

My hunch is she arrived too late to make the transfer to LHR to make the last trip. Besides, I'm sure CO would have paid for that if she asked, wouldn't they? One would hope.

She asked for an economy ticket on anything to get her back into even JFK, They said it is too late, Everyone on this form just makes it seem like if your paying 4'000 why not just pay an extra $1'200 is Continental going to reimburse her for $2'000 USD because they didn't get her to Newark? She isn't flying on company funds.

Quoting B707forever (Reply 50):
USER PROFILE SEND INSTANT MSG ADD TO RESP MEMBERS SUGGEST DELETION SELECTED TEXT QUOTED _
User currently offlineB707forever From United States, joined Dec 2007, 5 posts, RR: 0
Reply 50, posted Mon Dec 17 2007 05:22:48 your local time (2 minutes 27 secs ago) and read 12 times:

Reimbursement only works if passengers sit on the plane for an extended period of time?

Everyone look I flew flight 97 on Continental TXL-EWR on Friday December 14'2007 the flight arrived late because of weather in Newark, The flight was delayed and left TXL around 12:30pm. I understand this was because of the weather in New York on the departure from EWR.

BUT, how come Delta arrived and departed right on time from TXL at 11:25am? Doesn't that mean that Delta had no problems with deperatures from JFK?

SKAirbus

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:37 am

Quoting IADCA (Reply 27):
Item 28(C)(3) of CO's Contract of Carriage (page 41 of the PDF) specifically disclaims consequential damages. In plain English, that means by buying a ticket with Continental, she agreed to hold them harmless for that. No compensation on that count. It sucks, but that's the way it is. As many others have mentioned, she won't get fired or anything.

Well the aircraft took off from and EU country, it emergency landed in an EU country and therefore has to follow EU compensation rules. As this incident doesn't fall under the "extraordinary" circumstances category then all passengers on the flight should receive compensation from CO... Unfortunately most American and non EU passengers onboard probably won't have a clue about these rules and i guess CO are secretly hoping that too!! But go up to a CO desk flashing a printout from the EU website stating these rules and they will be obliged to hand out compensation, otherwise the EU can take legal action against CO...

jfk787nyc
Topic Author

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:46 am

Where can I find the EU airline rules?

OHLHD

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:52 am

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb...lations/euregulationsno2612004.jsp

This from Virgin but basically it applies to all.  

You can google for "EC 261/2004" and see the results.

[Edited 2007-12-17 02:56:36]

BritPilot777

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:54 am

Does she not have travel insurance?! for someone with such a "high ranking job" she must have that, will be able to claim all losses and expenses through that.

BritPilot777

jfk787nyc
Topic Author

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:56 am

Quoting BritPilot777 (Reply 56):
USER PROFILE SEND INSTANT MSG ADD TO RESP MEMBERS SUGGEST DELETION QUOTE SELECTED TEXT _
User currently offlineBritPilot777 From United Kingdom (England), joined Apr 2004, 1021 posts, RR: 3
Reply 56, posted Mon Dec 17 2007 05:54:05 your local time (48 secs ago) and read 0 times: Support Airliners.net - become a First Class Member!

Does she not have travel insurance?! for someone with such a "high ranking job" she must have that, will be able to claim all losses and expenses through that.

BritPilot777

American Express provides Travel Insurance, I can just call them and they pay for all losses and expenses?

OHLHD

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:58 am

Quoting JFK787NYC (Reply 57):
I can just call them and they pay for all losses and expenses

You have to check to what amount or level she has the insurance. I have one that pays me compensation immediately after 12h or so regardless why I am stuck and they would take the hotel bill as well ( to a certain amount, so no Burj al Arab Big grin )

ANother

Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:02 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 7):
According to a couple "FAQs" about the EU passenger rules, airlines are not required to pay compensation if the delay (assuming that's the heading it falls under) is due to "extraordinary circumstances" -- I would think that an emergency landing would fall into that category.

The Regulation applies to delays in departure - and is silent on delays in arrival.

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 8):
However, the original 7 hour delay would not be caused by a diversion, and seems to make her eligible for the max EU compensation.

Compensation is only payable for either denied boarding or cancellation of the flight. This is a long-delay and the Regulation does not provide for compensation.

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 9):

And... There are plenty of situations where CO is not contractually (or legally ) obligated to offer compensation but where they may be willing to do so as a customer service gesture.

checkmark 

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 19):
The EU classifies the following as beyond the control of an airline: bad weather, strike action, or delays caused by air-traffic control or security alerts.

I'll quote the relevant part of Paragraph 14 of the preamble to the Regulation "...Such circumstances may, in particular, occur in cases of political instability, meteorological conditions incompatible with the operation of the flight concerned, security risks, unexpected flight safety shortcomings, and strikes that affect the operation of an operating air carrier."

Quoting Antonovman (Reply 29):

I think the EU rules and compensation only apply to EU based airlines, not foreign airlines flying in the EU

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 30):
It applies to all airlines flying to/from the EU.

The Regulation applies to all flights departing from an EU airport (regardless of nationality) and all flights to an EU airport operated by a EU carrier (unless in the country of departure compensation/care was given under prevailing regulation or practice) i.e. On a CO flight from US to Europe the regulation does not apply. On a BA flight from US to Europe the regulation applies, unless BA has given compensation and/or care under US law, or practice.

OHLHD

Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:04 am

Quoting ANother (Reply 59):
The Regulation applies to all flights departing from an EU airport (regardless of nationality) and all flights to an EU airport operated by a EU carrier (unless in the country of departure compensation/care was given under prevailing regulation or practice) i.e. On a CO flight from US to Europe the regulation does not apply. On a BA flight from US to Europe the regulation applies, unless BA has given compensation and/or care under US law, or practice.

Are you sure. AFAIK it is from and to the EU regardless where the airline is from.  Smile

CHRISBA777ER

Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:07 am

Quoting BlueShamu330s (Reply 17):
WorkFlyer, kudos, respect, et al.

The CO guys are safety orientated to the nth degree, and any carrier with such an ethos should be highfly respected.

Claim culture is a cancer of society.

Agreed - sickening really.  Sad

SKAirbus

Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:08 am

I haven't got much more time to look but i found this information on a UK government site:

http://www.rcn-ifna.org.uk/html/eu_delay_compensation.html

It states:

-Delays over 2 hours under 1500 km, or 3 hours and between 1500km-3500km within the EU or 4 hours delay and over 3500 km outside the EU you are entitled to meals and refreshments and hotel accommodation where necessary.

-Over 5 hours you are entitled to a refund of your ticket (with a free flight back to your initial point of departure, when relevant

Archer

Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:35 am

I assume this flight is a 757.
Is there any (easy) way to look up the flight no. and find out equipment type?
Any idea of the problem?
Thanks.

jfk787nyc
Topic Author

Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:59 am

Quoting ANother (Reply 59):
Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 8):
However, the original 7 hour delay would not be caused by a diversion, and seems to make her eligible for the max EU compensation.

Compensation is only payable for either denied boarding or cancellation of the flight. This is a long-delay and the Regulation does not provide for compensation.

Flight 97 TXL-EWR on December 16'2007 has been canceled all passengers are flying back on Flight 1970 LGW-EWR.

Please tell me this does not fall under this category?

jfk787nyc
Topic Author

Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:01 pm

Quoting Archer (Reply 63):
USER PROFILE SEND INSTANT MSG ADD TO RESP MEMBERS SUGGEST DELETION QUOTE SELECTED TEXT _
User currently offlineArcher From United States, joined Mar 2005, 32 posts, RR: 0
Reply 63, posted Mon Dec 17 2007 06:35:14 your local time (24 minutes 2 secs ago) and read 207 times: Support Airliners.net - become a First Class Member!

I assume this flight is a 757.
Is there any (easy) way to look up the flight no. and find out equipment type?
Any idea of the problem?
Thanks.

This flight was a 757

SKAirbus

Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:30 pm

Quoting JFK787NYC (Reply 64):
Please tell me this does not fall under this category?

Well the flight was cancelled but they are still flying home so i doubt this would count as a proper cancellation under EU compensation regulations... rather a delay.. But call the airline and say you know the rules and they should tell you what compensation will be offered, if any...

OHLHD

Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:05 pm

On all european airports you can find a number free of charge directly linked to people ( from the EU) who can tell you excactly if you are entiteld or not for some compensation. Furthermore upon your request and at the moment you can ask for your passenger rights and the airline has to inform you instantly. This is why you see signs saying thigs like: Were you informed about your right, No, then ask for it etc etc etc) This would be the easiest way!

miamiair

Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:47 pm

What is with all the bitching and whining over a MX diversion?

Give it a rest. This is one of those things where the government goes too far. It could have been worse , thyy could have gone for a swim.

This time of the year if you have to be anywhere in the NE US, you need to pay attention to the weather forecasts and maybe leave a day or two earlier.

SKAirbus

Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:51 pm

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 68):

Give it a rest. This is one of those things where the government goes too far. It could have been worse , thyy could have gone for a swim.

Maybe you shouldn't be commenting at all if that is your attitude.. This thread is for people who want to discuss this event.. Why not? Much smaller things are discussed here... If it doesn't interest you, don't write under it.

I think it's great that we are helping a fellow A-netter, whose family member is having a bit of a rough time flying....  Smile

miamiair

Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:03 pm

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 69):
This thread is for people who want to discuss this event..

You know I would find it acceptable if had happened to him, but third person discussions lead to a lot of inaccuracies. I tend to believe EWRCabincrew as he can access factual information, JFK is offering a contradictory story, so as the saying goes, "there is something rotten in Denmark."

SKAirbus

Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:09 pm

Well isn't that the point of a forum, to discuss and hopefully iron out any inaccuracies.... Also i doubt very much that many airline staff, especially those working onboard aircraft will know the ins and outs of EU airline compensation policy... I think OHLHD had it right... call the EU. The airline will trying and wrangle its way out of any compensation so the passenger has the responsibility to make sure they get what they deserve...

But as i said before its good to help someone and turing to an aviation forum for advice on such things as flight delays, mx problems etc is a wise choice... There are lots of experts/enthuisiasts here...

ANother

Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:36 pm

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 60):
Are you sure. AFAIK it is from and to the EU regardless where the airline is from. Smile

yes 
Article 3 (Scope) Paragraph 1.

1. This Regulation shall apply:

(a) to passengers departing from an airport located in the territory of a Member State to which the Treaty applies;
(b) to passengers departing from an airport located in a third country to an airport situated in the territory of a Member State to which the Treaty applies, unless the received benefits or compensation and were given assistance in that third country, if the operating air carrier of the flight concerned is a Community carrier.

Note 'territory of a Member State' includes French oversea departments, but does not include overseas territories of France or other Countries. (e.g. Tahiti, Greenland, Bermuda)

nyskymasters

Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:02 pm

Quoting JFK787NYC (Reply 52):
Everyone look I flew flight 97 on Continental TXL-EWR on Friday December 14'2007 the flight arrived late because of weather in Newark, The flight was delayed and left TXL around 12:30pm. I understand this was because of the weather in New York on the departure from EWR.

BUT, how come Delta arrived and departed right on time from TXL at 11:25am? Doesn't that mean that Delta had no problems with deperatures from JFK?

Although I can't speak specifically for DL the reason CO flights were late leaving Europe on the 14th was because the flights were late leaving EWR the evening of the 13th. EWR was experiencing moderate ice pellet precipitation that evening (for a while at least) which shuts down departures. The FAA's new winter operation program does not allow departures during active moderate ice pellet (or greater intensity,) hail, or moderate or greater freezing rain. The ice pellet precipitation was falling in the 5pm to 7pm time frame thus departures getting off late.

As far as DL at JFK, who knows. Lately, with the weather events in the NYC area, the freezing line has been hovering in the area. JFK may not have been getting grounding type of precipitation. Just a guess.

OHLHD

Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:03 pm

Quoting ANother (Reply 72):

OK, thanks . Learned something new today! Big grin

Seafleet

Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:21 pm

JFK787NYC

Well because she was not in Berlin for business, And she already spent around $4'000 for a business class ticket. So, to spend another $1'200 for an economy class ticket to JFK does'nt really seem like a smart idea.

Well if her meeting is so important as you make out then the answer is yes it would have been a very smart idea!!
However yet again all you seem to be worried about is the "Money" so soon?
Looking at your work title you probably have never had a proper job working with customers in your face plus coping with mother nature screwing you around or mechanical snafus , go live a life for a couple of years that is not all and only about money and you might have a better perspective on life.
Roger

swiftski

Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:48 pm

Quoting BlueShamu330s (Reply 24):
I find it incredulous that CO would leave passengers stuck on board on the ground for almost 5 hours.Shamu

Likewise. Per another post of mine, I was booked on CO2245 on Thursday and it was cancelled due to wx. CO put us on 570 (I think?) later on; we did sit on board for 3 hours maybe (EWRCabinCrew might be able to confirm exact numbers) but we were at the gate, so we had the opportunity to get off.

(BlueShamu300s - I got the J ticket in the end back to LHR and VS smiled when I told them it had been ticketed in error. Check-in said "Enjoy". Great service)

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 28):
The crew is shown not being paid for that time it left the gate.

Can you confirm, for the above flight (570 I think; EWR-YYZ) on Thursday. I'm interested how it worked for the girls/girls I was talking to.

Quoting IADLHR (Reply 42):
Sorry to be so negative but it is not 3 hours flying time between TXL-London.

Poss returned part way over?

See: http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=t...STYLE=best&RANGE-COLOR=&MAP-STYLE=

LGW is not near the (rough) routing, so in GLA/DUB/MAN couldn't take them, they came back to LGW. OTOH CO flies widebodies (777) to LGW so maybe chose there as they could reaccomodate as many pax as poss, the same day.

Quoting JFK787NYC (Reply 51):
Oh and for all you guys who claim Continental doesn't care about partner Platinum Elite your wrong.

Your attitude annoys me. Firstly, don't pull the "VIP" card. It's bullshit. I've twice had people say to me "oi, you better help me, im a POLICE OFFICER" and it's very hard not to laugh.
Next; would she appreciate being outed on a forum ; both her title and meeting plans??

EWRCabincrew

RE: Continentaal Flt 97 TXL-EWR Emergency Landing LGW

Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:58 pm

Quoting JFK787NYC (Reply 64):
Flight 97 TXL-EWR on December 16'2007 has been canceled all passengers are flying back on Flight 1970 LGW-EWR.

Flight 97 on the 16th wasn't really cancelled, massively delayed, yes. It was reassigned flight 1970 for the 17th. This is because flight 97 scheduled for the 17th would be flying as well. You can't have two flights assigned the same flight number from the same company in the air at the same time (in other words, there would have been a CO 97 and a CO 97 flying. The originally schduled flight 97 gets to retain that number and the one from the previous day gets assigned another.

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 71):
Well isn't that the point of a forum, to discuss and hopefully iron out any inaccuracies

checkmark  We are sticklers for the facts.

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 70):
third person discussions lead to a lot of inaccuracies.

checkmark 

I was still unable to get the info from the delay. Trying to get it from the crew that worked it.

davescj

RE: Continental Flt. 97 TXL-EWR Emergency Landing LGW

Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:16 pm

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 9):
(Though I do find it curious and mildly amusing that CO's CLE Customer Service Center has a punching bag clamped to the counter   )

That way no matter who is steamed, they can take turns punching the bag.  Big grin

Quoting JFK787NYC (Reply 12):
he people at the gate were talking about some sort of compensation around 600 Euros but they will only be able to figure out the compensation when they get back to Newark. Will it help if I would call into Continental and specify that I am a Northwest Platinum Elite and give them my card number?

They may be able to sell her a ticket, but I doubt one would be endorsed over.

Quoting JFK787NYC (Reply 13):
I am asking how it works because it is not her fault she can not be at work tomorrow morning.

I am sure she knows how to call and leave a message. I am sure she isn't the only who this has happened to.

Quoting Nyskymasters (Reply 46):
I, like all CO employees, hate to see this happen but safety is more important than a meeting.

Meetings can be resheduled.

Quoting JFK787NYC (Reply 57):
American Express provides Travel Insurance, I can just call them and they pay for all losses and expenses?

It is a TERRIFIC program, but remember you must sign up for it in advance. I know they take care of expenses when the airline hasn't. For example, I was delayed for a connection to RIC via CLE. As the last RIC flight for the day had left, and the delay was weather, CO offered no compensation. But, as I pd for the travel insurance, AMEX pd for the hotel, food, clothing if I needed it, even rental car and gas.

GET THE INSURANCE.

As for your mom, I'm sure they wait to make sure she arrives SAFELY.

Dave

ikramerica

Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:22 pm

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 76):
Poss returned part way over?

sounds like it. due to timezones, it's over 2 hours time elapsed between TXL TO and LGW landing, so sounds like they veered to divert to LGW since they have more ability to accommodate pax there.

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 53):
Well the aircraft took off from and EU country, it emergency landed in an EU country and therefore has to follow EU compensation rules.

Yes, but those rules don't state you need to be compensated for lost wages, which is what some people seem to think. They just have a more generous general compensation scheme. But if someone makes 30 million euro a year, and they are delayed a day due to the flight, the airline does not owe them 100,000 euro for their "loss" obviously.

lincoln

Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:27 pm

Plus, NWA does own 20% of the company.

You may wish to verify your facts there. At one point NW held a significant position in CO, but in 2001 CO repurchased the majority of shares owned by NW, and as of 2001 NW held only a 7% voting position in the company. My understanding (though it is possible that I am mistaken) is that NW has since reduced its ownership position even further and now only holds the so-called "Golden Share" that allows NW to veto a merger/acquisition.

But, they care especially about NWA Platinum Elite as Continental also sells hundreds of tickets through NWA hub in Amsterdam.

Yeah... if you were the person flying it might mean something. You aren't the person flying, you aren't the person who bought the ticket. You aren't even a CO elite. Do you know how many people are related to, live with, work with, or happen to know Continental platinum elites, let alone other airline's plat.elites?

YULWinterSkies

Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:57 pm

Quoting JFK787NYC (Reply 13):
My mother is the Assistant Vice President of the whole New York Life Insurance Company, She needs to be at work tomorrow as she is coming from a week and a half vacation. I am asking how it works because it is not her fault she can not be at work tomorrow morning.

So is everybody else, and so is life. Sorry about that but do not expect others to feel sorrier about your Mum than about anybody else because she is what she is.
I could have been stuck in a nightmare of weather delays, had i flown back from the W coast to YUL Sunday and not Saturday andd with a Midwest connection instead of direct, but luck this time was on my side.

airfoilsguy

Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:09 pm

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 70):
"there is something rotten in Denmark."

Thats what I am thinking. My dad retired as a VP and I can tell you one thing for sure, I never had to go on a forum to ask about his flight compensation. He would just call his secretary and alternate transport would be provided, usually within the hour. There have been times when a jet was chartered because of time constraints.
Having his 21-25 year old son handle the situation was not needed nor was it ever an option. I smell something fishy with this whole story.

ANother

RE: Continental Flt. 97 TXL-EWR Emergency Landing

Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:39 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 79):
Yes, but those rules don't state you need to be compensated for lost wages, which is what some people seem to think. They just have a more generous general compensation scheme. But if someone makes 30 million euro a year, and they are delayed a day due to the flight, the airline does not owe them 100,000 euro for their "loss" obviously.

Absolutely correct, in respect of the Regulation.

However the Montreal Convention does not protect airlines from claims (i.e. from being sued) for compensatory damages. However, as no airline guarantees their schedules, for any such claim to succeed the onus would be on the claimant to prove not only their loss, but that their loss was due to an intentional action by the company or one of their employees. I don't believe, in International transportation, that these types of claims have ever succeeded.

Caveat Emptor (which is a.speak for READ the Conditions of Carriage AND the Conditions of Contract!

Mir

Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:52 pm

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 76):
LGW is not near the (rough) routing,

Not necessarily. If the NAT tracks were in the right spot, the route may have gone right over the London area.

-Mir

ikramerica

Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:00 pm

Quoting ANother (Reply 83):
Caveat Emptor

Yep. Which is what some others pointed out above.

If you are so important to your company that you can't miss a day, then you should not schedule personal travel so that it arrives with "no time to spare" to do your vital job. Buyer beware. This woman knows that flights get delayed and travel is unreliable in that respect, so coming home the afternoon before an important meeting makes no sense to me.

And if the meeting was so vital, why doesn't her company rent a conference room in the LGW hotel and set up a conference call from that room for her, and then have her take a different flight home? The modern age is wonderful in that regard, and business people wouldn't even flinch if this had to take place instead of the original live meeting planned.

blueflyer

RE: Continental Flt. 97 TXL-EWR Emergency Landing

Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:18 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 82):
Thats what I am thinking. My dad retired as a VP and I can tell you one thing for sure

Being a VP isn't what it was when your father retired. You should see some of the VPs I meet out and about. They look fresh out of college, have a few years of experience and not much else to show for it. Nowadays, it seems that a VP title is thrown about as loosely as manager at McDonald's... My bank branch manager is the county's VP of personal banking. He's still just a glorified 25-year old branch manager who knows a lot less about personal investment vehicles than a secretary at UBS.

Not to say that all VPs are inexperienced egomaniacs, but that the title itself carries a lot less weight than it did just a few years ago.

That this particular VP, or rather Assistant VP (what is that anyhow ?!?) is in such a pickle, does give me pause as well. Even on a leisure trip, I would think NY Life's travel desk would be more resourceful than this thread, including making necessary arrangements to ensure the Assistant VP being present at such a critical meeting. Heck, I'm not a VP, much less an Assistant VP, and if I need to rearrange personal travel plans for a business purpose, I know my travel department is going to go the extra mile to get it done in less time than it would take for me to bitch about it. And it's not like they would have been short of options as well. Getting off the plane at TXL, the Assistant VP could have flown to LHR in time to catch one of the three 8 o'clock flights to JFK (AA, BA and VS). Even getting off at LGW, there was still time, I think, to make it to LHR to catch one of these flights and be on time at the next day's meeting. All in all, not very impressive.

And yes, if I am owed compensation, I would be asking for it (why not ask if it is there for the taking), but I'd have other priorities first, like actually getting where I need to be. Compensation claims can always be filed later.

[Edited 2007-12-17 10:26:32]

787kq

Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:59 pm

All,

What about that BA 747 that crossed the Atlantic on three engines? Remember the speculation that part of the reason for flying anyway was the compensation EU rules.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1499342,00.html BA 744 Flies LAX-MAN With 3 Engines...WITH Pax! (by Pacific Feb 25 2005 in Civil Aviation)?threadid=1975963&searchid=1982965&s=ba+747+3+engines+crossing+compensation#ID1982965

style

Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:06 pm

Quoting JFK787NYC (Reply 52):

You are the poster child for Flyertalk.com. That is where you should have posted this 'emergency landing'

Your only intentions are how much you can get out of this, not about the emergency landing or what the reasoning was. The good thing is that almost everyone in this thread has applied good common sense and is able to see through all of this nonsense.

jfk787nyc
Topic Author

Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:08 pm

Thank you for all your HELP and COMMENTS.

She GOT 600 EURO. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

miamiair

Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:20 pm

This is so wrong on so many levels.

jfk787nyc
Topic Author

Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:26 pm

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 90):
Miamiair From United States, joined Jul 2004, 3899 posts, RR: 17
Reply 90, posted Mon Dec 17 2007 15:20:59 your local time (2 minutes 11 secs ago) and read 0 times:tSupport Airliners.net - become a First Class Member!

This is so wrong on so many levels.

Just for a update, FLIGHT 1970 from LGW was the same 757 from Berlin-Newark. People were advised to board the flight at 7:30am. When the flight started to taxi, Again a problem occurred on the plane and the plane completely shut off. The people on the original flight before starting panicking and yelling, around 20 people got off the plane in LGW. They started to complain and said they will never ever fly Continental again.

The flight finally left around 9pm and finally arrived in Newark One hour and thirty mins late.

SKAirbus

Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:27 pm

I don't understand why people are on here complaining about coming onto a forum to get advice.. Why the heck are you on a forum then?? Just to come in and slag us off...

As I said before... I think it is good to come in here with a problem, iron out any problems and hopefully get the facts eventually... And i hope your mother gets home ok JFK787NYC... I hope we could help a little...

b707forever

Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:42 pm

Quoting JFK787NYC (Reply 89):
Thank you for all your HELP and COMMENTS.

That's the least she should have gotten! I'm glad she's home safe and this ordeal is over. One for her to remember no doubt.

SKAirbus

Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:49 pm

So the system actually works!! So much for the sceptics!  Silly

swiftski

Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:58 pm

Quoting JFK787NYC (Reply 91):
People were advised to board the flight at 7:30am

The flight finally left around 9pm and finally arrived in Newark One hour and thirty mins late.

wow ... 730am to 9pm and only 1hr 30 behind. That's some crazy wind.

EWRCabincrew

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:09 pm

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 95):
wow ... 730am to 9pm and only 1hr 30 behind. That's some crazy wind.

:D

I think he meant 9am. Flight 1970 shows out (off the gate) at 0850. Off (off the ground) at 0920. On (on the ground in EWR) at 1231 and in (at the gate) at 1231.

JasYHZ

Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:04 am

Quoting JFK787NYC (Reply 49):
For all of A.Net blabbing Continental has a check ready in Newark for $600 US Dollars when she gets to Newark.

So which was it? People on here are right...something about this story is fishy.....

ikramerica

Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:09 am

The people on the original flight before starting panicking and yelling, around 20 people got off the plane in LGW. They started to complain and said they will never ever fly Continental again.

I know people were frustrated, but such reactions are related more to passenger insecurity than to anything based in reality. Continental clearly demonstrated that they care about safety, so panicking and saying they won't fly because it's not safe is an over reaction. It's not like the pilots want to risk their own lives...

And the proof of course is that the plane landed in EWR after all that. As for the plane "shutting off" how on earth do you know it just did it on it's own? I doubt that account. The pilots cycled something for a reason, decided to double check it to be extra safe.

The pax misconstrued EXTRA precaution for LACK of precaution, which is a funny irony...  Wink

wjcandee

Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:21 am

She GOT 600 EURO.

Great. Create incentives for people to ignore safety. What a horrendous, absurd policy.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos