AF022
Topic Author

LHR Slot Swapping

Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:48 pm

I have read here that with the new bilateral US and DL and NW are coming to LHR and that they got these slots from partner airlines (KL and AF?).

Did these new US carriers pay their partners for these slots, or were they given away in order to strengthen the alliance?

PanAm747

RE: LHR Slot Swapping

Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:02 pm

I would assume that many airlines had the "use-them-or-lose-them" slots.

There was a thread recently about Air France reducing the number of CDG/ORL-LHR flights from 11 to 8, presumably to operate LAX-LHR on AF.

And since the Bermuda II restrictions have been removed, I would assume many new entry airlines are getting the slots they need from alliance partners - for example, KL/AF to NW/CO/DL in some fashion.

In OneWorld, AA is already the dominant American carrier, so no route swapping is needed, and Star Alliance has United, but who in *A is giving up their slot for them US?  scratchchin 
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

roseflyer

Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:06 pm

Quoting AF022 (Thread starter):
Did these new US carriers pay their partners for these slots, or were they given away in order to strengthen the alliance?

The leasing of slots at LHR has been happening within the Star Alliance for years. United has leased slots to both LH and AC. The partner airlines do pay for the use of the slots, but UA retained ownership of them and can get them back when the lease expires. Overrall, UA has been giving up a number of slots since they took over the routes to LHR 15 years ago. UA ended all flying within Europe and thus has been able to earn money by selling and leasing unused slots.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

StarGoldLHR

Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:57 pm

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 2):

The leasing of slots at LHR has been happening within the Star Alliance for years. United has leased slots to both LH and AC. The partner airlines do pay for the use of the slots, but UA retained ownership of them and can get them back when the lease expires. Overrall, UA has been giving up a number of slots since they took over the routes to LHR 15 years ago. UA ended all flying within Europe and thus has been able to earn money by selling and leasing unused slots.

Recently (last few years), UA have sold 4x slots for LHR-NYC, 1x Delhi, 1x IAD, 1x ORD.

I believe in 2008 they are cutting back also on 1x LAX and even 1x SFO... so UA continues to shrink at LHR.

The recipients of the slots from UA have been sold to QF and BA, I know AC and Jet Airways leased some
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

phlwok

Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:24 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 1):
who in *A is giving up their slot for them US?

I cannot find a quotable reference, but I recall reading it's a BMI slot.

AF022
Topic Author

Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:48 am

Sorry to ask again, but did AF sell or give slots to DL? Did BMI sell or give slots to US?

kaitak744

Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:48 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 1):
There was a thread recently about Air France reducing the number of CDG/ORL-LHR flights from 11 to 8, presumably to operate LAX-LHR on AF.

Air France LHR flights are being reduced from 12 to 8 daily flights. (the capacity is not being reduced, as almost all of the flights are now on the A321.)
The 5 free slots: 3 to Delta. 1 to AF for LHR-LAX. 1 slot is unknown.

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 3):
I believe in 2008 they are cutting back also on 1x LAX and even 1x SFO... so UA continues to shrink at LHR.

UA has only 1x LAX. UA is cutting the LAX-LHR route completely? Is there a source for this? I would not be surprised, given the competition and UA's need for aircraft elsewhere.

roseflyer

Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:06 am

Quoting AF022 (Reply 5):
Sorry to ask again, but did AF sell or give slots to DL? Did BMI sell or give slots to US?

I assume that most likely they are leased. DL and US are probably paying an annual fee to be allowed to use those slots. But they could have been sold or given. I just presume that they were leased.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

BCA2005

Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:13 am

Quoting Kaitak744 (Reply 6):
Air France LHR flights are being reduced from 12 to 8 daily flights. (the capacity is not being reduced, as almost all of the flights are now on the A321.)
The 5 free slots: 3 to Delta. 1 to AF for LHR-LAX. 1 slot is unknown.

Reduction from 12 daily to 8 daily, frees 4 slot pairs, not 5!

unitednrt

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:53 am

United will not discontinue Los Angeles - London Heathrow. No frequency reductions have been planned and reallocation of capacity will not take place.
"...That's a lovely name. My name's Milton; Milton Ettenheim, but my friends call me Bubbles."

vv701

Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:27 pm

Quoting AF022 (Reply 5):
Sorry to ask again, but did AF sell or give slots to DL?

As I understand it EU regulations do not allow the straight sale of slots at LHR or anywhere else in the EU. Hence you will often see reference to a 'grey market' in slots.

However, as I understand it EU 'non-sale' regulations do not forbid the transfer of slots primarily for money provided some other deal is part of the regulation. So, for example if airline A accepts slots from airline B, arranges for a code share with airline B on some of its flights and gives airline B a sum of money then everything is OK.

However since the whole area is 'grey' it is most unlikely that either airline A or airline B is going to publicly reveal details of the arrangement's details.

But I think you can be reasonably sure that no airline is going to unconditionally give slots at an airport like LHR to any other airline except when, like AF-KL or LH-LX, they are the next best thing to being a single airline and group management decide that such a transfer is in the best interests of the group.

masseybrown

Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:38 pm

Quoting AF022 (Reply 5):

I understood from the pressers that AF contributed the slots to the joint transatlantic venture they have formed with Delta; I don't believe that the manner or amount of their compensation was made public.

UAL777UK

Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:58 pm

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 3):
1x SFO... so UA continues to shrink at LHR.

Unless you can provide a source I cannot believe that for one minute. SFO-LHR has been one of UA's best performing routes for years, its no coincidence that it goes double daily in summer, the second aircraft being a 747.

burnsie28

Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:03 pm

KL gave NW three of their slots, and since NW and KL split revenue accross the atlantic 50/50 then it works out better for them flying fokker's into LHR from the smaller cities in the Netherlands.

ANother

Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:16 pm

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 13):
KL gave NW three of their slots

Although you do make a point if I was KL I would not 'give' NW the slots, I would lend them - they are extremely valuable.

roseflyer

Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:20 pm

UA has only 1x LAX. UA is cutting the LAX-LHR route completely? Is there a source for this? I would not be surprised, given the competition and UA's need for aircraft elsewhere.

UA has added a seasonal LAX-LHR flight during the summer in previous years. So it is double daily at times.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos