Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

G-CIVP

RE: BA Muffin "theft" Results In Suspension

Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:19 pm

"If an item has been expensed off, as in food since it can't be given out again, and no pax wanted it, it isn't theft. Especially if it is half eaten".

Not really the point. The airline have legal title over their property. In this case, assuming it is true, is petty pilfering. Firms will have terms and conditions of employment which they will enforce as they see fit but often with varying degrees of rigidity.

iairallie

Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:29 pm

I worked for a carrier that had very strict policies about theft. We were told in no uncertain terms that you cannot remove anything from the aircraft. This included even a bottle of water for your layover. On the aircraft however you could eat what you want so long as the passengers had been taken care of first. It's not my stuff they can dictate how they want it dealt with.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

BlueShamu330s

Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:59 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 1):
A BA spokesman said: "It is half-baked to suggest we are suspending someone over a muffin. It would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage."

Wah Wah Oops, I see a lawsuit coming on for serving up half baked muffins  Big grin

Quoting FFlyer (Reply 11):
Maybe it was a hungry Finnair FA who had had a nice big bite of my dessert pastry on a HEL-JFK flight a few years ago! Obviously she/he didn't like it too much, and had put it back on the serving tray...

Ding Ding, we have a winner, and the award for managing to diss Finnair in every thread and even a thread nothing to do with Finnair goes to.....FFlyer  Yeah sure

Shamu
Flying around India

eajpecrca
Topic Author

Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:15 pm

Quoting Star_world (Reply 44):
Quoting Hotelmode (Reply 39):
Is anyone actually reading this thread??? Or just jumping in with opinions from the headline?

Nobody has been suspended as a result of stealing a muffin.

This is the first sentence of the linked article that began this thread!

"British Airways have suspended a cabin crew steward for eating a muffin that was discarded on a passenger's meal tray, it was reported today."

I don't post very often but I always find it interesting to follow the twists and turns these threads take. Kind of a free-for-all. And that's a good thing. Gets people thinking.

Interesting that the thread title I put up speaks of "theft" while the article calls it a suspension for 'eating a muffin.' Shows what a little journalistic creativity/license can do.

David L

Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:35 pm

Quoting Hotelmode (Reply 39):
Is anyone actually reading this thread??? Or just jumping in with opinions from the headline?

Nobody has been suspended as a result of stealing a muffin.

thumbsup 

Quoting ACdreamliner (Reply 45):
If someone can get suspended for wearing a necklace, surly eating a muffin will be punishable by... death? good god, BA don't half know how to make a mountain out of a mole hill...

Making a mountain out of a molehill... like taking a tabloid article at face value and not caring about the whole story, even after people in the industry have stated several times in the thread that there's no way BA suspended anyone just for eating a muffin?  Smile

Anyone remember the newspaper story a year or two ago that alleged that some guy got bleach in his coffee on an AF flight (and managed to swallow it without noticing the smell or taste), received horrendous internal injuries, was accused of faking by a racist FA and was refused any medical attention at the destination airport? "Mysteriously", there was no record of any such incidents on any AF flights, no-one was able to corroborate the story and no-one was able to find any evidence it ever happened. And yet there was a barrage of people here saying it was typical of Air France.  sarcastic 

Boeingluvr

Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:26 am

Quoting ACdreamliner (Reply 44):
If someone can get suspended for wearing a necklace, surly eating a muffin will be punishable by... death? good god, BA don't half know how to make a mountain out of a mole hill...

Yea, your beloved AC treats guests the way BA treats their staff. If BA's standard for that is so bad, then it matches AC!! Smile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos