Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Uganda`s President To Buy $48 Mln Gulfstream Jet

Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:12 pm

Uganda's President to Buy $48 Mln Gulfstream Jet

Critics denounced the purchase as greed in an impoverished nation where the average wage is $300 per year.

http://www.javno.com/en/world/clanak.php?id=107976
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

WestWing

RE: Uganda`s President To Buy $48 Mln Gulfstream Jet

Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:27 pm

The tendency to think of oneself as Scottish royalty did not end with Idi Amin.  stirthepot 
The best time to plant a tree is 40 years ago. The second best time is today.

md90fan

Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:39 pm

This goes along with the MiG-21s returning from Israel after being upgraded to a MiG-29 standard!

Pity. They don't even have a decent airline there... Yeah sure
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

speedbird128

Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:40 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Thread starter):
Critics denounced the purchase as greed in an impoverished nation where the average wage is $300 per year.

Yes- the world needs to stop giving money for africa to waste... I have lived in Africa for all my life, and have never seen anything like the greed of the top few, and at the same time the poverty for the rest of the nation...
A306, A313, A319, A320, A321, A332, A343, A345, A346 A388, AC90, B06, B722, B732, B733, B735, B738, B744, B762, B772, B7

yowza

Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:40 pm

I'm sure this could be leased on an as needed basis but it's really not THAT big a deal. Museveni has been far better than many of his continental counterparts.

YOWza

juventus

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:21 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Thread starter):
Uganda's President to Buy $48 Mln Gulfstream Jet

Going by the price, this has to be a G-V. There are several much cheaper options than that, but I guess he wants to travel in style. Powerfull people in Africa amaze me......

JoeCanuck

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:24 pm

I wonder how much Uganda is into the World bank and various charities for...
What the...?

FCKC

Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:16 pm

The first biz jet for the Government of Uganda was an Israeli Westwind.
Then a G2 , replaced by a G3 , replaced by a G4............so very logic to upgrade the presidential plane with a G5.........................poor Ugandan people to have a President thinking to acquire a jet , rather than upgrading their buying power.

In the same category , do not forget Airbus refused to sell an A319CJ to Mugabe of Zimbabwe........

yowza

Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:28 am

Quoting FCKC (Reply 7):

In the same category , do not forget Airbus refused to sell an A319CJ to Mugabe of Zimbabwe........

Really? When was this? If he really wanted one I'm sure he could have arranged an intermediary buyer or offshore leasing company to finance one... surprised that nobody has jumped on this...

YOWza

Blr2Syr

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:10 am

There used to be a Gstream parked at EBB during the early 90s. I dont think Uganda can really afford the $$ to get these swanky jets. If need be they should take charters when he needs to travel ,even the British PM uses BA jets on hire when he travels. I am sure there are more than a few firms willing to do biz with em but better said Museveni has been a better leader than most other counterparts from the continent.

juventus

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:33 am

Quoting FCKC (Reply 7):
Then a G2 , replaced by a G3 , replaced by a G4

The G-III could reach most parts of the world with one fuel stop. No need to upgrade to a G-IV, and now a G-V? 4
Millions in Uganda live without food, medical care or potable water and this is the president's ride.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Konstantin von Wedelstaedt

jetstar

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:07 am

In the late 1970’s in between my JetStar jobs, I was working as a mechanic for a company that had a Gulfstream G2. We took the airplane down to the factory in Savannah GA for a weeks worth of work by Gulfstream and recurrent training for the pilots.

In the hanger was Uganda’s dictator, Idi Amin’s G2. In the airplane opposite the entrance door on the G2 is the avionics compartment. On G2’s, this compartment usually is covered by a wood panel but on his airplane there was a big head shot of Idi Amin.

The picture was usually covered over with paper while in the hanger so nobody would see it and realize whose airplane is was, but it was no big secret because there were ropes on posts surrounding the airplane and a security guard standing there.

I was told that Uganda was on a cash only payment before the airplane would be released and also because of outside pressure, the Uganda government was told this would be the last time Gulfstream would work on their airplane, they would have to take it to an independent Gulfstream shop outside the US.

georgebush

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:28 am

Quoting Speedbird128 (Reply 3):
Yes- the world needs to stop giving money for africa to waste...

You've got that right. They all think they are helping (which is good) but really their methods of donation are not working, obviously.

What does he even need a jet for?! So he can fly around and beg other counties to give him more money?
Al Gore invented global warming.

Flighty

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:35 am

What a sleazy thing. Gulfstream should not sell to him. It's money children need for food. I wouldn't want to sell him things either. I don't need money that badly.

To compare to the USA using purchasing power-adjusted GDP, Uganda has GDP $50 billion. The US is $10 trillion, or 200 times more.

So, that's like our president buying a jet that costs $10 billion, or roughly 50 748 VIP.

On second thought, things like that do happen in the USA... but at least we have plenty of food and medicine.

DeltaGuy

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:36 am

Hey now, nothing says status quite like a Gulfstream!

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

c680

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:38 am

Quoting Juventus (Reply 5):
Going by the price, this has to be a G-V

Probably a Gulfstream 550.

Quoting FCKC (Reply 7):

Why? He could not pay for it?
My happy place is FL470 - what's yours?

EXAAUADL

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:08 am

Yes- the world needs to stop giving money for africa to waste... I have lived in Africa for all my life, and have never seen anything like the greed of the top few, and at the same time the poverty for the rest of the nation...

the reason the west, europe especially, continues to give money to africa is because of guilt and to make themselves feel better.

on the plus side in 1987 30% of Uganda population was HIV positive....today it is 3%

on a negative note jacob zuma became next in line to be president of SA......another Zim in the making

aerorobnz

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:02 am

I've shaken hands with the Ugandan president. He's pretty popular. There's other things to spend it on sure, but hey it's their nation and their money.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

roseflyer

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:17 am

Quoting FCKC (Reply 7):
Then a G2 , replaced by a G3 , replaced by a G4............so very logic to upgrade the presidential plane with a G5.........................poor Ugandan people to have a President thinking to acquire a jet , rather than upgrading their buying power.

I don't understand a reason to switch from a GIV to a GV. Often times people complain when countries that aren't wealthy upgrade their aircraft fleet. But going from a 707 to a BBJ is reasonable. However a GIV to a GV doesn't make sense. That's like replacing your car every 3 years. Sure it is nice, but it doesn't serve a purpose. The US has a big extravagant corporate fleet for its executive branch, but at least the US President flies in a 15 year old plane with no plans to upgrade.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

Devilfish

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:35 am

Quoting FCKC (Reply 7):

Quoting Flighty (Reply 13):
What a sleazy thing. Gulfstream should not sell to him.

It'll be very interesting to see if Gulfstream Aerospace would follow Airbus' example.

OTOH, the enthusiast in me wonders if they are after the yet unannounced, though speculated about G600?  scratchchin 
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

georgebush

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:44 am

Quoting AerorobNZ (Reply 17):
There's other things to spend it on sure, but hey it's their nation and their money.

Thats right!!!

But too bad your "nice president" thinks its his money....  Yeah sure

I doubt the people of Uganda were given a say in this purchase.
Al Gore invented global warming.

yellowtail

Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:27 pm

there are quite a few nations outside of africa whose "top few" suffer from the greed and power syndrome at the expense of their populations.

at least ours here in BZE haven't bought themselves a jet...yet.....
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

pmg1704

Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:11 pm

At the very least Uganda could've split the costs and the jet with the president of Sri Lanka...

flysherwood

Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:53 pm

Quoting YOWza (Reply 4):
I'm sure this could be leased on an as needed basis but it's really not THAT big a deal. Museveni has been far better than many of his continental counterparts

You are joking, correct? The Prime Minister of England is just now getting a private plane to fly in (after a hell of a lot of grief) and you have no problem with Museveni buying a Gulfstream? How many people are literally dying every single day of starvation?  Yeah sure

speedbird128

Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:06 pm

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 16):
on a negative note jacob zuma became next in line to be president of SA......another Zim in the making

don't go there.... It was inevitable...

Quoting YOWza (Reply 4):
Museveni has been far better than many of his continental counterparts.

He may be better than Mugabe for instance, but it's still not justified to fly over a starving nation with a G-V.
A306, A313, A319, A320, A321, A332, A343, A345, A346 A388, AC90, B06, B722, B732, B733, B735, B738, B744, B762, B772, B7

ikramerica

RE: Uganda`s President To Buy $48 Mln Gulfstream J

Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:21 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 13):
So, that's like our president buying a jet that costs $10 billion, or roughly 50 748 VIP.

well, buying 2 748s to replace the current 742s would likely cost $1 billion total, possibly up to $1.25 billion. That's still 1/8th to 1/10th less in proportion to this purchase. Not to mention we'd be replacing 20 year old planes when we do it, this is a G5 replacing a G4 replacing a G3 replacing a G2, so on a yearly basis, they are spending 20 times the USA or more on a presidential transport.

I don't begrudge any government acquiring necessary transport, but constantly upgrading from one jet to another without need is just wasteful.

But hey, at least all our africa AIDS guilt money is going to a good cause...  Angry
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Falcon Flyer

Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:30 pm

Taxied into Jet Aviation TEB a few months ago and parked next to a Gulfstream from one of those African nations, can't think of which one it was, just remembered thinking how excessive for a country that most likely had an elevated poverty level.
My definition of cool ? Not trying so hard to be cool.

DeltaGuy

Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:13 am

Quoting DEVILFISH (Reply 19):
It'll be very interesting to see if Gulfstream Aerospace would follow Airbus' example.

I think it's not up to the manufacturer to determine the uses/implication of the purchase (other than for something obviously evil). Gulfstream should and probably make and sell the jet, no questions asked. Money talks...if someone offers you 50M, who are you to ask where it came from?  Wink

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

CXH

Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:20 am

I agree buying one of the high end Gulfstreams for the Presidents use is excessive and a waste, but such indulgences are not unheard of by leaders of all kinds of countries rich and poor, left and right.

It should be noted Museveni as a semi-dictator (it took him years to have an "election" which he sort of won) is tolerated the international community because the country is a vast improvement over the years with Idi Amin. As mentioned by others, other African leaders are far worse.

Also interesting is that Uganda is a strong U.S. ally, including its' sex education policy. Even in 1994 when I visited, I remember seeing a U.S. govt business class jet parked on the tarmac in EBB both when I came and left several days later - not sure the model; it was before I was into aviation  Smile

That said, I still think flighting AIDS is a good cause. Just because a political leader wastes money doesn't mean we can not try to help the people directly via legit charities.
I've seen the future, I can't afford it. - Martin Fry

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos