Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetpixx
Topic Author

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:31 am

Well, I had a reservation for 6am on Thursday morning (today). I always book the earliest flight of the day, as the security lines are a lot less. Well, I showed up at the airport approximately 35 minutes before my flight, give or take a minute or two depending on which clock you are using.

I arrived at the kiosk and my card did not take at first. My ATM/bank card has a strip which is a bit demagnetized and I must get this taken care of.

In any event, after fiddling around with the machine for a bit, I finally use another card and it is determined that at 5:32am, for my 6:00am flight, it is too late to check in. I must pay $50 to get onto the 7:00am flight to New Orleans through Atlanta.

Now, I understand I was cutting it a bit close, but the gate agent in FLL was very rude and basically told me 'too bad'.

Now, not as much as in the past, but I fly Delta and SkyTeam as much as possible. I have been flying Continental a little more lately and now I understand why. I love(d) Delta, but this type of customer service and callous care on the part of the customer service agent is part of the reason why my allegiance has recently been swayed.

So $50 later, I am extremely angered as not only do I have to wait an extra hour at the airport, but now I get in almost two hours later than I was originally supposed to.

I understand I was cutting it close, but I was here in time for my flight and the equipment did not work correctly initially - and then when I finally was able to get through - the gate agent was about as rude as can be.

I am not one of those travelers who complain about every little thing. In fact, I let most things slide if someone is having a bad day, I know I am in the wrong, etc. Air travel, while not perfect, is one of those things that still amazes me. The general public takes it for granted and doesn't understand all of the little things that must all go perfect to make things a successful flight. I get that. Most do not. But to show up on time, to be a loyal customer and to be treated rudely because of a problem with the kiosk - and to have to pay $50 on top of that! - it is the kind of thing that makes me want to stick with Continental and not return to Delta ever again.

I know of Delta's financial peril and was glad to see them come through. I've been a loyal customer for years and just would like some sort of positive resolution. As stated above, I do not complain. I do not make a big stink if weather delays my flight. Heck, I don't even get bent out of shape if there is a mechanical issue, etc. I get it. But the way I was treated today, so callously, as another sheep through the line and with such carelessness...I am angered today. I am sad this is what Delta has become and if I do not get a successful resolution in my eyes, I will definitely not be returning. I am not a million miler, just a once silver medallion guy...not a big-timer in any sense of the imagination...but I hope after my loyalty, I am taken care of. If I get a letter back thanking me for my business, but the gate agent acted as she should have, I will know where not to make my travel plans in the future.
ABE, BIL, BOS, BUF, BWI, CAE, CAK, CHS, CLE, CLT, CVG, DAY, DFW, DTW, EWR, FLL, GSO, IAD, IAH, IND, ISP, JAX, JFK, LAS, LAX, LGA, MDW, MEM, MHT, MIA, MKE, MLB, MSO, MSP, OMA, ORD, PBI, PHL, PIT, PVD, RDU, SEA, SFO, SLC, SJU, STL, SYR, TLH, TMB, TUL, YVR

DeltaAVL

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:53 am

Quoting Jetpixx (Thread starter):
Well, I showed up at the airport approximately 35 minutes before my flight, give or take a minute or two depending on which clock you are using.

You can't blame DL when they explicitly tell you you're required to check in at least 45 minutes in advance for most domestic flights and more for international. 35 minutes just is not enough. They generally board 25-30 minutes in advance...

https://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/itineraries_checkin/requirements/
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

flyguyPBI

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:10 pm

Very unfortuante that you had travel woes.... especially at this time of year.

On behalf of all DL employees, sorry about the rudeness you encountered. It is unacceptable and NOT what we are about.

That being said, checking in at a major airport like FLL 35 minutes before a flight is just unacceptable. Our station there is busy. The flying public expects us to run on time and we make very effort to. If you check in 35 minutes before your flight..... that gives you MAYBE 10-15 minutes to clear TSA then make it to the gate. By the time you get there they are clearing stand-bys. Not to mention if you were checking bags........ that reallys pushes the envelope.

The aircraft that goes out at 6:00 a.m. is starting a BUSY day...... it needs to go out on time so that delays don't accumulate as the aircraft completes its schedule. Little delays add up and can ultimately affect MANY more passengers than just you.

Give us another chance sometime. If I'm working the flight I'l make sure you get a comp cocktail. but only if you check in earlier  Smile

Hope you make it home without any more problems and happy holidays.

deltairlines

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:13 pm

Pretty sure that check-in closes out at 30 minutes for all flights but the Shuttle flights (15 minutes for those), so there's no real way the gate agent could open that flight back up to check you in.

Seattle Ops

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:24 pm

Arriving 35 min before departure leaves anyone little to complain about.

PHLBOS

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:33 pm

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 1):
35 minutes just is not enough.

That's essentially been true since 9/14/01 regardless of which carrier one choses.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

varig md-11

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:34 pm

Quoting Seattle Ops (Reply 4):
Arriving 35 min before departure leaves anyone little to complain about

I agree

but I think he was referring more to the "too bad" attitude....
a bit out of place and unnecessary

I faced the same at AMS while I had checked in the day BEFORE via phone with TP
on the phone everything seemed fine, and I called even a 2nd time to check
when I arrive next morning, a stupid guy tells me I am NOT checked in and it is my entire fault

I complain and ask a supervisor
then a mean cow arrives a insists I am NOT checked in and fines me 35 euros to put me on the next flight

I'll never do phone check in ever again since they made me undersand that "so what? where is your proof you checked in??"
AF TW AA NW DL UA CO BA U2 TP UX LH SK AZ MP KL SN VY HV LS SS TK SQ PC RG IW SE LI TX PY

SkyTeamTriStar

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:37 pm

If you claim to have flown DL in the past as much as you say, then you know full-well that DLs level of service is above par . Yet you'll stop flying them forever over one complaint. Oh brother.

but I fly Delta and SkyTeam as much as possible

flynavy

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:56 pm

In any event, after fiddling around with the machine for a bit, I finally use another card and it is determined that at 5:32am, for my 6:00am flight, it is too late to check in. I must pay $50 to get onto the 7:00am flight to New Orleans through Atlanta.

checkmark 

Quoting Seattle Ops (Reply 4):

checkmark 

So $50 later, I am extremely angered as not only do I have to wait an extra hour at the airport, but now I get in almost two hours later than I was originally supposed to.

Which is no one's fault but your own.

You probably wouldn't have made it thru security anyway had they let you on the flight without a fee. Security lines at DL's terminal at FLL are consistently VERY long and the average wait time is 30 minutes from my experience.

Next time, arrive on time.
Change is: one airline, six continents!

ken4556

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:01 pm

Fly United and then you will realize how good Delta's service really is.

Stop trying to shift the blame, you got to the airport late and you tried to get out of paying the $50 and the gate agent was doing her job by enforcing the rules. These rules are the same for all airlines after 9/11.

GoAllegheny

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:17 pm

I understand I was cutting it close, but I was here in time for my flight and the equipment did not work correctly initially - and then when I finally was able to get through - the gate agent was about as rude as can be.

No, you did not arrive in time for the flight. You were late. Letting you check in for the 6:00 am flight would have been above and beyond the call of duty, and for first flight of the day, extremely unlikely.

The attitude of the agents was wrong, but most of your post is about Delta's failure to let you enplane, not the agent's rudeness. I mean, what did they say that was so rude? If was "I'm sorry, sir, but you arrived too late to check in and there's no way you can board the flight," that's not rude behavior, that's the truth. If he/she belittled you for checking in late, then that's rude and is wrong. However, he/she could have been the nicest agent in the world and still said no. I have missed two flights this fall from ORD because I arrived too late for kiosk check-in (and WAY too late to get through the line). (And at ORD/United, 30 minutes really is way too late to check in, if security is slow and the flight is at the far end of C terminal.) And occasionally a United flight will actually close the doors a few minutes before scheduled departure. So yes, they may have been rude, but no, you were too late to check in.

And in any case, their attitude does not bespeak of the entire airline. I've seen rude agents on every airline I've flown, I've seen disinterested agents, and I've seen agents who will really work to help you. I rely on independent customer satisfaction surveys far more than personal horror stories.

zrs70

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:21 pm

Were you not able to check in online beforehand?
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

plateman

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:29 pm

I was about to say I agree with you that DL has its problems. Then I read your story and it does not matter, arriving 35 minutes before a flight will never ever work. You may have been lucky in the past but it finally caught up to you.

IMO, you are lucky it only cost you $50 and not a new ticket.
"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

Evan767

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:09 pm

The title is misleading. Delta does not treat its customers poorly. Obviously, you're very sensitive when it comes to social matters. If Delta treats it's customers poorly, then I wonder how that ranks American, United, Northwest, and US Airways in treating their customers.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

xjramper

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:09 pm

I must pay $50 to get onto the 7:00am flight to New Orleans through Atlanta.

At least it wasn't a $75 plus difference in fare.

Quoting Ken4556 (Reply 9):
Stop trying to shift the blame, you got to the airport late and you tried to get out of paying the $50 and the gate agent was doing her job by enforcing the rules.

It is the mindset of the people in the US...blame everyone but yourself. Its easier that way.

Quoting FlyguyPBI (Reply 2):
On behalf of all DL employees, sorry about the rudeness you encountered. It is unacceptable and NOT what we are about.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

Quoting Varig md-11 (Reply 6):
but I think he was referring more to the "too bad" attitude....
a bit out of place and unnecessary

This is true and I am not excusing the attitude of the agent because I wholeheartedly agree with the aforementioned statement by FlyguyPBI about who we are.

But, none of this would have happened had he arrived at the airport sooner than 30 minutes prior to departure. And whether or not the agent was rude is besides the point. If you are a silver or were one, you should know better than to get there that close to cut off.

Now if you choose DL again, you know to get there an hour prior to departure, instead of "32" minutes.

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

TUNisia

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:11 pm

Quoting FlyguyPBI (Reply 2):
Very unfortuante that you had travel woes.... especially at this time of year.

That being said, checking in at a major airport like FLL 35 minutes before a flight is just unacceptable. Our station there is busy. The flying public expects us to run on time and we make very effort to. If you check in 35 minutes before your flight..... that gives you MAYBE 10-15 minutes to clear TSA then make it to the gate. By the time you get there they are clearing stand-bys. Not to mention if you were checking bags........ that reallys pushes the envelope.

The aircraft that goes out at 6:00 a.m. is starting a BUSY day...... it needs to go out on time so that delays don't accumulate as the aircraft completes its schedule. Little delays add up and can ultimately affect MANY more passengers than just you.

Give us another chance sometime. If I'm working the flight I'l make sure you get a comp cocktail. but only if you check in earlier Smile

Hope you make it home without any more problems and happy holidays.

One of the best post's I've read on a.net in a while! We need more people like you in airline CS  Smile
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

airportugal310

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:20 pm

This whole "my credit card doesnt work because its demagnitized blah blah" is B.S. for an excuse:

In DC a few months ago, my card didnt work either at US. Total time to enter my confirmation number instead? 30 seconds MAX.

As "isitsafe" would say if hes around...SAFE!
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

ikramerica

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:29 pm

I think the title should be changed: DL Treats Customers Poorly on the ground...

I've experienced great treatment in the air. Flight staff rocks. But I'm received horrible treatment on the ground, and so has my family, over the course of 10 years. It's like two different companies. And it's not that the ground staff is awful, but they seem to not care, like it's a company policy not to care. And it seems like it may be, as many of their rules and policies are specific to DL and very customer unfriendly. So now I fly DL, but not at the holidays or another very busy time, because if something goes wrong, I have no faith they will get me where I'm going.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

WindowSeat

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:32 pm

Quoting TUNisia (Reply 15):
One of the best post's I've read on a.net in a while! We need more people like you in airline CS

Agreed! There are people like him in the business, especially with Delta, and I encounter them everyday. That being said, there's a rotten apple in every basket, but you wouldn't throw away the basket for that one.

Jetpixx,

I understand your frustration and your disappointment at the incident. I'll tell you one of mine. I booked myself on a 7am flight out of SFO to JFK connecting to Frankfurt. I was late for check in for my flight, well, I arrived 35 mins before the flight. Completely my fault. The gate agent told me there was no way I was going to make my flight. He was firm and he was terse. At that time, it seemed extremely rude to me. I was in your position, now frustrated that I wouldn't be in Frankfurt in time, having to pay $200 to change my ticket and angered at the way I was 'being treated' by Delta. I huffed and puffed and went home to return on the next day's flight. When I patiently thought about it, it was entirely my fault, that's all there is to it. The agent was only doing his job and trying to tell me that I wasn't going out that day. It was just not going to happen. It was a hard pill to swallow. Long story short, I took that incident for what it was, a delay on my part, and a not so friendly exchange with the gate agents, who could have been friendlier, yes, but then again, I could have been at the airport ealier too...

Have I continued to fly Delta? Yes of course, a whole 180,000 miles this year. I am impressed with their service and their standards and they continue to treat me well on other ocassions.

So, I would ask you this...calm down, think about it and then tell us if you would write the same post five sdays after the incident. I know you were all charged up when you wrote the post and venting is natural, thanks for sharing that with us, but to not give Delta another chance is a bit extreme. I am pretty sure that you will change your mind and contiue to fly with Delta.

Best regards,
WindowSeat.
I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards.

Evan767

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:41 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 17):
DL Treats Customers Poorly on the ground...

Absolutely not...

The title needs to be: "Delta Treated Me Poorly"
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

airportugal310

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:45 pm

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 19):
The title needs to be: "Delta Treated Me Poorly"

No..the title needs to be:

"I am a typical airline passenger and will always blame the airline for my getting out of bed late and missing my flight"

Too long?

"I boofed"
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

pilotboi

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:57 pm

Some airports you can get away with this - like DAB. They usually allow people to check in up to 15 minutes before the flight departs, but I don't recommend trying it.

ilovepabst

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:00 pm

I showed up at the airport approximately 35 minutes before my flight, give or take a minute or two depending on which clock you are using.

If you are checking in then it's Delta's clock you should be using.

after fiddling around with the machine for a bit, I finally use another card and it is determined that at 5:32am

So basically you showed up at departure cutoff time and were cut off. The only complaint you should have is some surly service by an agent and your inability to check in on time.

ssides

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:17 pm

Delta is one of my least-favorite airlines (next to US), but in this case I don't see anyone to blame but the passenger in question.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

lincoln

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:43 pm

Quoting Ilovepabst (Reply 22):
I showed up at the airport approximately 35 minutes before my flight, give or take a minute or two depending on which clock you are using.

If you are checking in then it's Delta's clock you should be using.

I'm no fan of Delta (luggage issues and rude C/S in getting them resolved) but _showing_up_at_the_airport_ 5 minutes before checkin closes is cutting things a bit close... you could have hit traffic, or even if there's a long line at check-in [or if you get stuck behind someone who has some problem with their reservation...] and whatever buffer you started with evaporates

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

EMB170

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:56 pm

Quoting AirPortugal310 (Reply 16):
This whole "my credit card doesnt work because its demagnitized blah blah" is B.S. for an excuse:

In DC a few months ago, my card didnt work either at US. Total time to enter my confirmation number instead? 30 seconds MAX.

As "isitsafe" would say if hes around...SAFE!

If you fly DL and SkyTeam as much as you say you do, why didn't you just enter your SkyMiles #? I do that every time I fly and it takes me all of 10 seconds to do!

But seriously, while I don't tolerate bad customer service, don't you think showing up at FLL of all places 35 minutes before the plane is supposed to push back and expecting to make it onto the plane is a tad unrealistic?

EMB170, who is always at the airport at LEAST 90 minutes prior for domestic flights (and usually through security at least 60)
IND ORD ATL MCO PIT EWR BUF CVG DEN RNO JFK DTW BOS BDL BWI IAD RDU CLT MYR CHS TPA CID MSP STL MSY DFW IAH AUS SLC LAS

pilotboi

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:02 pm

Quoting EMB170 (Reply 25):
If you fly DL and SkyTeam as much as you say you do, why didn't you just enter your SkyMiles #? I do that every time I fly and it takes me all of 10 seconds to do!

Same here...even if you don't know it - you should have your card with you. Either way - have a back up plan ready in case the first plan doesn't work. Don't just expect the card to work right away. Especially if you know the magnetic strip is being worn down on it.

airportugal310

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:04 pm

EMB170,

I presume you are just using my example as an example....I dont fly DL often.

But again, use another means if the card doesnt work right away.

The OP said he knew of the pre-existing card problem...

EMB170

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:07 pm

Of course, TP310. Just was trying to tell the OP that if his card didn't work (he said he fhad flown DL a great deal) then he probably would have had a FF # and should have considered just using that.

EMB170, who has the utmost respect for other a.netters....
IND ORD ATL MCO PIT EWR BUF CVG DEN RNO JFK DTW BOS BDL BWI IAD RDU CLT MYR CHS TPA CID MSP STL MSY DFW IAH AUS SLC LAS

style

Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:56 pm

But to show up on time, to be a loyal customer and to be treated rudely because of a problem with the kiosk - and to have to pay $50 on top of that!

Another Flyertalk.com whining post in the making.

The title of this post makes it seem as if you got to the airport well before cut off time and DL told you they were not going to check you in simply because they didn't want to. But reading your actual post tells a quite different story.

You contradict yourself quite a bit, you say you show up on time but you also say you checked in after cut off time. Obviously, you were late.

We all know flying can be a challenge these days and I know your intentions were all with good faith as you were trying to make your flight but be an adult about it and realize its no ones fault but yours. You bought a ticket for a certain flight and did not honor your end of the bargain by missing that flight, if you ask me, $50 was more than reasonable for DL to charge you for getting on the next flight.

As for the agent, yes we know we can encouter some doozies now a days, for the most part though great quality service is still out there. By this particular agent telling you basically 'tough luck' does not make them rude at all. Maybe because you didn't here what you wanted to makes you think they were rude but in fact it was simply this; you were late.

LipeGIG

RE: DL Treats Customers Poorly

Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:32 pm

Quoting WindowSeat (Reply 18):
Quoting TUNisia (Reply 15):
One of the best post's I've read on a.net in a while! We need more people like you in airline CS

Agreed! There are people like him in the business, especially with Delta, and I encounter them everyday. That being said, there's a rotten apple in every basket, but you wouldn't throw away the basket for that one.

Agree 100% with both.

I'm now Plat with DL and should say that attitudes like the one FlyguyPBI is growing quick on DL.

Quoting WindowSeat (Reply 18):
understand your frustration and your disappointment at the incident. I'll tell you one of mine. I booked myself on a 7am flight out of SFO to JFK connecting to Frankfurt. I was late for check in for my flight, well, I arrived 35 mins before the flight. Completely my fault. The gate agent told me there was no way I was going to make my flight. He was firm and he was terse. At that time, it seemed extremely rude to me. I was in your position, now frustrated that I wouldn't be in Frankfurt in time, having to pay $200 to change my ticket and angered at the way I was 'being treated' by Delta

I had the same situation in 2005 at BOS going to GIG thru ATL and paid US$ 200. And now i'm very happy with DL.

Next time try to check-in thru the internet and if your airport does not provide a line for Medallions (and if you are not one), get early to such airport.

Our right finishes where the others right begins, and your right will be yours if you get on time at the airport.

Felipe
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

ikramerica

RE: Poor Experience On Delta

Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:48 pm

I'm sorry, but reading the original account and other accounts, it clearly does solidify the "there's nothing we can do" attitude I've experienced with DL on the ground.

I've been late for check-in on other carriers for various reason (stuff happens) and they've usually been as helpful as possible. But DL has never been, and that includes when it's late for a connection that is their fault. I've just never had an experience where DL has been helpful in that regard, and they always cite their company policies that protect them from being helpful, even when they are in the wrong. I was even stranded after a hurricane where my airport was closed and would be for quite some time, and DL wasn't helpful in allowing me to change departure airports because it was "against their policy."

I've shown up late for CO flights due to LA traffic or having to go home to get something I forgot, and they've done their best to get me there at no cost to me, either by letting me check in late or getting me on the next flight. I even showed up late for an AA flight by one day because of a travel agent error combined with my error (booked me on the wrong day, I didn't check hard enough to see it was off by a day) and AA STILL helped me, at no cost to me. I've also had some crappy AA ground experiences, but at least with AA there is a 50/50 chance they will help. DL is far more of a "talk to the hand" carrier when it comes to such things.

But in the air, DL is great. Friendliest staff I've seen on a whole in the USA, seem to like their job and have fun without being condescending like "fun" airlines like B6 can be (I'm not in kindergarten or some motivational workshop, please don't treat me that way...).

And those new cocktails DL have are tasty! just please bring back BOB ASAP so I can get a real meal instead of cheese and crackers.  Smile
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

atrude777

Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:57 pm

I don't understand this..

Why did Delta charge you? I thought you could fly stand by for free on the next flight or pay 25 dollars to be confirmed?

Granted 35 minutes is cutting it close however not impossible, it just depends on the airports and such, if DL clearly states 45 minutes for domestic routes then ya unfortunatly you were "late".

The CSA attitude certainly was uncalled for unfortunatly.

Even767- Technically the title is correct, he had experience with Delta that he perceived as poor/bad behavior. Regardless of who's fault it is, the LAST thing the airline wants is the Customer to go away with a negative experience regardless of whose fault it is. If DL did the right thing, the CSA would have outlined the rules, stated what the Customer did wrong, apologize that he had to go through this, then offer the possibilities of changing flights on his dime or the airlines, whatever the agreement would be between the CSA and the Customer. The CSA's actions if true were certainly uncalled for by DL.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

jetpixx
Topic Author

Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:05 pm

Let me respond, now that I am down safely in MSY.

Most of you are totally correct in stating it is my fault for arriving late to the airport. I get that and I am absolutely in the wrong for cutting it so close. My experience at FLL is that I take the earliest flight of the morning and the security lines are minimal, which they still were at 7am.

I am happy that DL did a great job with some trying weather, not only in ATL, but in the MSY area, to get me here within a reasonable amount of time from the stated arrival time.

Trust me, I normally do not bellyache at all. I am a good customer. I am the one that laughs and shakes his head at the people making a stink, because I understand how much hard work it takes for everything to work relatively smoothly.

I leave myself with plenty of time to get places, where I do not need to be somewhere immediately, I'll volunteer if a flight is overbooked, etc.

This one time, as a loyal SkyMiles member, where I needed a favor, DL did not come through. My crappy bank card will be replaced now, as I've been putting it off. That's my fault for trying to cut it so close. I needed help from the CSA and instead of assisting me and offering an explanation of the rules, which I did not 100 percent fully understand, I was treated callously and as if I am just another face in the crowd. Which I am. But if you review my track record, I log 50,000 miles or more each year on DL. That's not great, but not bad either. The type of person they want to keep.

I respect the hard work of airline employees, especially since most of the general public shit all over them and have unrealistic expectations. This time, I do not think my expectations were unreasonable, although I fully admit above I was wrong for thinking I could cut it so close.

In addition, where is my $50 for when they cost me time on the rare occasion I do need to be somewhere when they say they will get me there? Or when I show up early, only to have delays. Or being stuck on the runway at ATL only to miss my connecting flight and be pushed onto the next flight? This has happened. I accept it as the regular order of business. I am very forgiving.

[Edited 2007-12-20 12:07:15]
ABE, BIL, BOS, BUF, BWI, CAE, CAK, CHS, CLE, CLT, CVG, DAY, DFW, DTW, EWR, FLL, GSO, IAD, IAH, IND, ISP, JAX, JFK, LAS, LAX, LGA, MDW, MEM, MHT, MIA, MKE, MLB, MSO, MSP, OMA, ORD, PBI, PHL, PIT, PVD, RDU, SEA, SFO, SLC, SJU, STL, SYR, TLH, TMB, TUL, YVR

SkyTeamTriStar

Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:34 pm

Quoting Jetpixx (Reply 33):
This one time, as a loyal SkyMiles member, where I needed a favor, DL did not come through.

How many "one time exceptions" should DL make? I've read some profiles of some DL Medallions' and oh-boy, let me tell you how many deals have been done just for yet another, "one time" exceptions. Somethings gotta give.

cytz_pilot

Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:01 pm

Hi Jetpixx,

Sorry about your experience. I was surprised that there was only a $50 fee to rebook? My father was late checking in for a flight a few years ago on UA with just over 35 minutes or so until departure, and his ticket was basically now void. He had to pay the full amount of a brand new flight, which ended up over 800 bucks. And it didn't get him to his destination until the next day. The worst part was this was at FAT which wasn't that busy, there was maybe a 5 minute wait at security - he could have been at the gate in less than 10 minutes.

Felt so bad, that one was my fault...  blockhead 

db373

Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:11 pm

Actually, the equipment was working fine. As you said, it was your bank card that wasn't working properly. The irony in this situation is that had they allowed you to check in at the counter and then sent you on your way and then you missed the flight because of security or whatever, you'd probably be on here saying "Why would they let me check in at the ticket counter if they knew I was going to miss the flight?"

While the attitude of the csr wasn't necessary, if Delta decided that it was too late for you to the check in, then it was too late for you to check in. It's that simple.
Keep Delta My Delta

iairallie

Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:19 pm

but I was here in time for my flight

No, you were not 35 (or even 37 minutes) is too late. Even at FLL.

you got to the airport late and you tried to get out of paying the $50 and the gate agent was doing her job by enforcing the rules. These rules are the same for all airlines after 9/11.

So many people point the finger and say someone is rude just because they did not get their way. I doubt it would have mattered how nice she said I'm sorry it's too late I have to charge you a fee for the next flight. Your second post indicates to me the only thing that would have made you happy would have been to get your way. You seem more angry that she had the nerve to charge you a fee (less than what many other airlines will charge) for a change that was your fault.

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 31):
I'm sorry, but reading the original account and other accounts, it clearly does solidify the "there's nothing we can do" attitude I've experienced with DL on the ground.

I'd disagree she did do something she booked him onto the next flight merely an hour later and he didn't charge him for a new ticket or the change in fare. He is just pouting because he screwed up and didn't get his way.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

fanoftristars

Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:57 pm

Quoting Jetpixx (Reply 33):
I log 50,000 miles or more each year on DL.

If you really flew 50k miles or more on Delta each year, you'd be gold medallion and same day changes are free.

Having said that, I've showed up late before, mostly on accident, and they've always let me try to make the flight. I just go up to someone at the kiosk and ask them to print my boarding pass. I've made it every time (thanks to the first class security line)

Something doesn't add up. And if it truly was 35 minutes, then why did you fiddle with your card for 5 minutes? (that's an eternity) There are several other ways to check in with the kiosk. Skymiles number, another card with your name on it (anything with a magnetic strip) etc, barcode on a printed itinerary...

Yes I fly a little more than you (124450 miles on DL this year so far) but I always keep my skymiles card with me. My amex sometimes doesn't work in certain kiosks)

If you're going to do this in the future, check in online at home, that way you don't have to worry about the 30 minute kiosk rule.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

billreid

Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:58 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 17):
I think the title should be changed: DL Treats Customers Poorly on the ground...

I disagree with this remark because unfortunately, all DL employees ar guilty by association. The quality of service reverts to the lowest common denominator, in this case the gate agent. Beyond this point the pax arrived too late.

I do however believe that there is a fundamental belief that the customer is always right, even when he/she is wrong. Of course he should have arrived earlier, he simply didn't make the cut-off time. DL has a $50 same day change policy for all fliers except PM fliers where the $50 is waived. The applied change fee was correct.

I have had wonderful experiences with DL and also dreadful. I once left the hotel 16 miles from the airport for an international flight in Europe 3 1/2 hours before departure. Unfortunately, there was an accident and the Autobahn was closed down even though it was 6am on a Saturday. I sat stuck for 2 1/2 hours before exiting the road. I called DL res in Atlanta explained the problem when I was again moving, and stated that I would get to the airport about 45 minutes prior to departure as I was going completely around the accident. I arrived at the counter 35 minutes before departure and I was greated by are you Mr. ......? I was running and covered in sweat, of course I made the flight after I was helped through security. The 60 minute international cut-off was waived, perhaps influenced by flying in business and being a Skyteam ElitePlus. It was most distressing trying to get to the airport.

On the other hand the last two business class flights on DL from Europe in a B764 and B763 configs the aircraft was flithy, which is not good in C class. I have had overworked, tired, and frustrated csr's recently, especially in ATL so I have chosen to try KL my next two long haul flights. Perhaps a red flag needs to go out when they lose business to their partners.

My question is whether I should write to let them know about my concerns and my choice to use another carrier?
Some people don't get it. Business is about making MONEY!

jkudall

Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:07 am

You can't blame the agent for following the rules. If rules were bent for a passenger even just one time, that passenger would be expecting the rules to be broken again and again. There are rules for a reason and consistency is important when it comes to rules like check in requirements. Now, I don't know what was said between you and the agent, but if the agent were truly rude and not just giving you the bad news, then I can understand being upset about that. Occasionally, it may be prudent to accommodate a passenger and even bend a rule if agent felt the airline had inconvenienced the passenger in some way, for example. But in the scenario you described, I don't see how the airline is responsible for you checking in late.

The fact remains it is YOUR responsibility to be checked in at least 30 minutes before the flight (45 minutes at some locations). This doesn't mean you arrive at the airport at least 30 minutes prior, but physically be at the kiosk and have your itinerary properly located by the computer. Otherwise, the computer automatically won't let you check in. You should plan for lines, and even problems with your bank card not working.

[Edited 2007-12-20 16:14:31]

lincoln

Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:16 am

Quoting BillReid (Reply 39):
because unfortunately, all DL employees ar guilty by association. The quality of service reverts to the lowest common denominator, in this case the gate agent.

I agree with you on this point. The last time I flew Delta was ... uh... 4? years ago. I had heard many stories about the Delta "family" and was looking forward to trying the mainline version of Delta (prior experience was limited to Skywest operated/DL coded intra-California flights). After that trip I resolved that I was never going to fly Delta again if it could be avoided.

It wasn't the flights themselves which were largely forgettable, or the 3 hour maintenance delay in CVG on board a sweltering 757. The "Delta Direct" thing at the airport annoyed me, but may have been forgivable. What did things in was that first my luggage didn't make it to my destination, and second, when I tried talking to a supervisor he wound up practically screaming at me "My Airline Doesn't Loose Luggage, I don't beleive you."

And that did it.

Delta isn't the only airline to serve a destination I care about (as is NW), and aside from being a member of SkyTeam there is absolutely no reason for me to choose Delta...so, simply, I don't.

I know Delta has plenty of "good people" -- several of them post here -- but when I'm a paying customer and I'm practically screamed at by a "supervisor" (so, DL condones the behavior)... there are simply too many other choices with a more compelling product and better customer service.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

iairallie

Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:51 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 41):
practically screamed at

What does that mean? Either he screamed at you or he did not.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

lincoln

Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:00 am

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 42):
What does that mean? Either he screamed at you or he did not.

It means it was 4 years ago and I'm probably remembering it a bit worse than it actually was. I do remember that his voice was elevated, and I very distinctly remember the words "My airline doesn't loose luggage" and "I don't believe you" and the tie he was wearing... but beyond that my memory is foggy. Perhaps "Yelled at" would be more appropriate than "Screamed at" either way, it was not a pleasant customer service experience.

Lincoln

pbiflyer

Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:02 am

Jetpixx,

I see in your profile that you live closer to PBI than FLL. Why do you go out of FLL with their long lines, when PBI has shorter lines, and more security lanes usually open on concourse C, than the DL terminal has at FLL?

I know sometimes the fares are somewhat better, but not enough to convince me to drive to FLL. PBI is a much easier airport to go through and they have some great DL gate agents and ticket counter personnel. However, you still will have to arrive earlier to check in at the kisock. I always check in on line and go straight to security when I have no luggage to check.
PBI is South Florida's BEST airport!

AEROFAN

Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:32 am

Reapeat after me. " I was late for the flight" " I was late for the flight". " I was late for the flight"

Case close

DL WIDGET HEAD

Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:36 am

I'm not going to defend the agent that treated you in a rude, unconcerned manner. There is no excuse for that. However, most of the blame for this incident is yours. Showing up 35 minutes before a flight is too late. That is your fault, not Delta's.

I showed up at the airport approximately 35 minutes before my flight, give or take a minute or two
depending on which clock you are using.

my card did not take at first. My ATM/bank card has a strip which is a bit demagnetized and I must get this taken care of.

Since you showed up about 5 minutes or less to the kiosk check-in (with a cut off time of 30 minutes prior to flight) and then tried to use a defective credit card to check-in, I fail to see how any of this is Delta's fault. You even have the nerve to insinuate that it's the kiosk's fault. Now, that takes some beating.

but I was here in time for my flight and the equipment did not work correctly initially

Again, the agent's attitude was unacceptable but he/she does not represent the vast majority of Delta professionals who consistently provide exemplary service day in and day out. Pretty harsh to judge a whole airline by the actions of one or even a few bad apples. By the way, Delta is doing a lot to weed these type individuals out and hold them accountable. Hope to see you on Delta again some time.

platinumfoota

Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 am

no 
Never forget United 93

AirOne

Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:22 am

Hi,

This was 100% your fault and not that of Delta. It is a pain to reopen the flight after it closes 30 minutes, plus if I do that once, I will have to do it for all people that showed up closely. Plus, with security and the walk to the gate it is likely you might have missed your flight anyways, and should be happy it was only 50 dollars.

I would have to tsk tsk you for being late....as an anetter you should know better.

I worked briefly as a CS rep for Skybus. This happened all the time, and it was a pain to deal with, especially because mainly it was people who had never flown before show up within that 30 minute window and then get pissed when the system locks them out. While it is the agents call whether they reopen to flight to check you in, it is up to them, if they are busy or think you are rude it is their call if they feel like doing it. 9 times out of 10 they would come up to me at the check in desk all in a puff about they cant check in, I inform them about the rule, and then stand there as I am verbally berated for this stupid rule.....yet I found when a man came up and profuselly apologized and said it just wasn't his day I was much more responsive to opening the flight and checking him in. It sounds like you just hit the wrong agent on the wrong day, its a gamble, if your going to be close....sometimes you loose.....

AirOne

AirOne

BR715-A1-30

Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:34 am

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!
Puhdiddle

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos