Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DELTA777
Topic Author

US Airways On West Coast...

Tue Sep 19, 2000 5:49 am

what is happening to US Airways out west? I know they have never been HUGE in the west... but now they really have NOTHING out there! Why did they close all of their US Airways Express Routes in California?

~ D ~ e ~ l ~ t ~ a ~ 7 ~ 7 ~ 7 ~

RE: US Airways On West Coast...

Tue Sep 19, 2000 5:51 am

Simple-TSA(Trans States) decided to abandon LAX on short notice.

exusair

Tue Sep 19, 2000 6:38 am

Up until 1994, US had a pretty decent presence in California, offering a shuttle between LAX-SFO. They had a crew base in LAX as well as a hanger in SAN. This was all a part of the PSA deal. The airline decided that these markets were not profitable and moved everything back east, focusing on the Carribean and Florida. Although they never operated internationally out of LAX, they had a nice intra-California North/South network going with flights to then burgeoning Las Vegas.

Trvlr

Tue Sep 19, 2000 1:06 pm

They should have just left PSA alone!

The Trans States thing hurt them also. They lost lots of feed into LA.

Aaron G.

desertjets

Tue Sep 19, 2000 2:27 pm

USAir used to have a large operation out of Phoenix as well through the mid-90's. They have a USAir Express operator that flew Beech 1900C's to Palm springs... I think now it may have been TSA. Besides flying to PIT, PHL, and CLT, they flew to San Diego and Las Vegas... maybe Orange County too out of PHX. USAir used to occupy all the gates at the end of Terminal 2, I think 6 or so gates.

It seems like a lot of carriers are having a tough time making it out west.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

jmc1975

RE: StatesWest

Tue Sep 19, 2000 2:40 pm

Actually that USAir feeder that operated Beech 1900Cs was StatesWest,which was based in Phoenix. For a while they fed paxs to what were USAir hubs at LAX and SFO from such places as SAN,SBA,FAT,MRY. Prior to the USAir agreement, they operated independently from Phoenix to Orange County, Burbank, San Diego, Ontario, Long Beach, Bullhead City, Lake Havasu, Prescott, Albuquerque, Tucson, and Fort Huachuca. At that time they used Shorts 360s and Jetstreams 31s. They ultimately went bankrupt and TSA took over most of the feeder for USAir while America West Express took over most of the feeder routes from Phoenix.

desertjets

RE: StatesWest

Tue Sep 19, 2000 2:45 pm

Thanks... that rings a bell now. I also remember that Sky West used to have a lot of service out of PHX as well. Delta still lists PHX as a city still served by Sky West and Delta, but I have never seen a Sky west plane at PHX.

but no wonder States West went out of business. One night I was waiting for my mom to come in from Chicago on United, and we were early as usual, there was a States West Beech 1900C leaving for PSP at 9:30 at night, with only on passenger aboard. This must have been late 1993 at the time.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

jmc1975

Tue Sep 19, 2000 2:56 pm

Very true...I have seen SkyWest still listed as an airline that serves Phoenix. But after many years of service they pulled out about 3 years ago. They last operated from Phoenix as Delta Connection to Palm Springs and Yuma with the EMB-120 Brasilia, but now that part of SkyWest is feeding United at LAX. For as long as I can remember, at Phoenix SkyWest operated Metroliners to Palm Springs, Yuma, and Flagstaff before they code-shared with any airline.

desertjets

Tue Sep 19, 2000 3:04 pm

But now all we have is Mesa-Air operating as America West Express... which I won't complain about b/c I have been impressed by their high level of service professionalism.

HyperMike

Wed Sep 20, 2000 2:56 am

When US pulled out of California, they practically handed Southwest the intra-California goldmine.

I saw an interview once with Herb Kelleher, and they asked him how they became so successful in California. He said "It's simple. USAir."

PVDFlier

USAirways Cut "less Profitable" West Coast Cities

Wed Sep 20, 2000 3:39 am

I think it comes down to "do what you do best." When USAir became USAirways in 1997, it cut many unprofitable western cities, such as Austin, San Antonio, and other West Coast cities and routes. At the same time, USAirways rose to become the number one carrier in cities such as Boston, Hartford, Providence, Albany, Rochester, Buffalo, Burlington, La Guardia, Washington National, and so on. USAirways Express recently signed an agreement with Colgan Airways to become a new "Express" carrier in cities such as Rutland, Vermont and Presque Isle, Maine.

Notice USAirways is still very strong, with mainline and Express, flights in Kansas City. Because, it's a PROFITABLE market.

SO... USAirways improved service to its' East Coast and international routes... and cut West Coast cities deemed "less profitable." Too bad for those of you who live out west. We get to fly a great airline all the time.

ContinentalEWR

Wed Sep 20, 2000 4:16 am

A really great airline? I think not. US Airways is a miserable airline, with mediocre service at best and horrible service most of the time. I have
flown US Air, then US Airways from 1983 all the way to July 4th, 2000. The
airline has never improved. It's planes are filthy and dingy. The staff are
demoralized and totally disinterested. A few nice 'buses don't make a
great airline. It has the worst safety record of the major US airlines and
is an absolute nightmare to travel on.

I cut my US Airways Dividend Miles card up years ago. I am speaking
from experience. I used to be a Priority Gold member of the old USAir.
This is one really BAD airline.

PVDFlier

ContinentalEWR

Wed Sep 20, 2000 4:35 am

Yo ContinentalEWR...

I guess we agree to disagree. Having lived in both New Jersey and Houston, I would rather have a catheter inserted than fly Continental. I have flown filthy United 737's, smelly TWA MD-80's, dirty American 767's and antiquated and shaky Delta 727's. I must admit the six major carriers serving this nation all have good and bad points.

Too bad you are a Continental lackey.

goingboeing

Wed Sep 20, 2000 4:40 am

USAirways must be saving their dingy aircraft for other markets. Into MCI their planes are usually among the nicest. Oh, if you're talking about the paint jobs, sure some of them aren't the freshest looking things in the air, but, I usually do my flying INSIDE the aircraft, and they are never dingy there.

Trvlr

Wed Sep 20, 2000 5:43 am

I remember the USAir Beech 1900s at SAN when I was little. The USAir routes then turned into Trans States a/c, and now with the TSA pullout, US hasa not codeshare flights with any ccommuters out of SAN.

Aaron G.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos