Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SR3496
Topic Author

Ankara Esenboga

Mon Oct 02, 2000 5:29 am

In one week I will fly to ESB. What can I expect of this airport? Are there any other Turkish airlines beside THY? How about spotting? Thanx
SR3496

klwright69

RE: Ankara Esenboga

Mon Oct 02, 2000 5:40 am

Yes, I have been to this airport . No one has ever mentioned it on this forum before so I didn't know if anyone else has ever been there. The airport is FAR from the city. I believe Istanbul Airlines goes there as well, maybe a couple other Turkish carriers, but anyone else compared to THY is tiny (according to my memory). The aiport is very SMALL. I don't know about now, but everytime I've gone through there, you board buses at the terminal and you're bused out to the planes on the tarmac.

I've flown into and out of this airport three times. Once on Pan Am (way back), LH, and of course THY.

wing

Mon Oct 02, 2000 6:20 am

Hi,hope you'll have a great time here in Turkey.Esenboğa is one of the major airports of Turkey.I had flown from that airport several times.I am not sure what are your expectations from an airport but it is quite old fashioned I think but it serves well to passengers and tecnically(ATC services,approach helping instruments and controllers are well trained and the equpment are allways uptodate and inservice no doubt about it)Passengers are driven from the aircraft to terminals by busses .(A tip:If you won't be picked up by someone you can use the public service buses named HAVAŞ,they're cheaper and the city is 40 kms away so dont even think about taking a cab)I havent seen an observation deck on this airport(actually I was reading from a newspaper today that why we don't have observation decks on our airport like the others in Europe?And I 'll give you the answer because of terrorism effecting the country until 1998 the observation decks are not allowed by security reasons but its all ok now maybe the architects may think about it on new airports in near future I hope.Ankara ESB is not the busiest mostly Turkish Airlines fly to there.Spotting is more easier in İstanbul,Antalya,Bodrum because lots of different charter airlines flying to these airports especially in summer season so more opportunity to see different types of AC and airlines.And these are the airlines operating in Turkey
Turkish(National flag carrier) Operates (B737-400,800,A310,A340,RJ70,100)
Pegasus Airlines B737-800
ONURAIR (MD88,A300,A321)
SunExpress Airlines(B737-800)
AIR ALFA(A300-600,A321)
EuroSun Air (B737)
Air Anatolia (A-300,B 737)
MNG Cargo Airlines (A300 Cargo)

follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"

klwright69

Mon Oct 02, 2000 1:03 pm

Thanks Wing, for your expanded response. I too took the HAVAS buses to Ankara city. I forgot to mention that. It was easy and convenient. Wing, you are correct on everything. Ankara airport is basic and adequate, nothing special, but not bad either.

Have fun in Turkey!!!

Turkair

Mon Oct 02, 2000 4:24 pm

If you are lucky, you can also see many goverment VIP aircrafts... Try Havas buses....

SR3496
Topic Author

Mon Oct 02, 2000 11:41 pm

Thanks a lot for all these replies!   So I will take the Havas-bus to Ankara.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos