Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

planejamie

RE: MAN News 43

Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:06 pm

Quoting mainMAN (Reply 199):
Such a shame they didn't on the DC-10s. Those things were magnificent, on finals over my house (when they actually turned up!)

Would love to see Biman operate a DC10 into MAN, I remember when I lived near RUH and when 15L was in use having all the aircraft bank over my house, mostly in the night time for the foreign carriers (except BA who go when it is daylight). I used to hear the Biman DC10 come over regularly (would say like clockwork, but 9/10 times it was delayed). That and the Saudia 747-100s, and one time when walking outside an Air India 747-300 (the last one in service with them) came screaming over quite low. I've got a bit off track here reminiscing...

Quoting EuroWings (Reply 198):
Well, let's be honest, stranger things have happened at bmi.

Lol, yeah, strange is an understatement...

gkirk

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:10 pm

easyJet cancel MAN-GOT from 8th Jan 2012, and also from 30th October, 2 of the 3 daily LH flights to MUC will be operated by BMI.

http://airlineroute.net/2011/10/18/eu-18oct11/
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

eurowings

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:18 pm

Quoting gkirk (Reply 201):
easyJet cancel MAN-GOT from 8th Jan 2012

City Airline will be pleased, although you never seem to hear them mentioned!

2 of the 3 daily LH flights to MUC will be operated by BMI.

Well, that's interesting considering what we're hearing about BD at the moment.

[Edited 2011-10-18 12:19:05]
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

David_itl

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:39 pm

Quoting EuroWings (Reply 202):
2 of the 3 daily LH flights to MUC will be operated by BMI.

Well, that's interesting considering what we're hearing about BD at the moment.

There'll be 3 xFRA + 2 x MUC by BD operating for LH this winter. Odd, unless something's afoot regarding the medium term and a based legacy airline (either BD or Lufthansa GB) initially linking into the hubs of LH Group airlines and then expanding a bit further away. Having "Lufthansa GB" based at MAN is not that far fetched given continuous MAN operations for around 40 years and how well they've gone during that period i.e. as a brand they're well known and what people are used to using unlike the LH Italia operation that existed/

eurowings

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:45 pm

Quoting david_itl (Reply 203):
Having "Lufthansa GB" based at MAN is not that far fetched given continuous MAN operations for around 40 years and how well they've gone during that period

Lufthansa GB based at MAN is an interesting idea, although I won't hold my breath!  

I do hope using BD in this way is a strategic decision and not just a way of keeping BD aircraft and crews 'occupied'.
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

mainMAN

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:58 pm

Quoting planejamie (Reply 200):
I've got a bit off track here reminiscing...

Reminiscing is always good  
Quoting EuroWings (Reply 204):
I do hope using BD in this way is a strategic decision and not just a way of keeping BD aircraft and crews 'occupied'.

Nice idea David, but I think I'll cautiously go with the latter of these two suggestions!

boysteve

Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:34 pm

Quoting EuroWings (Reply 204):
keeping BD aircraft and crews 'occupied'

Exactly, BMI has some uses therefore its worth slighly more than just the LHR slots, whats's your offer?

With regards to LH GB based at MAN I don't see it, LH operate two many aircraft types at present if you include BD A320's, LH A320's, LH 737's and then all the regional aircraft to HAM & DUS. It would not be a simple as it sould be.

Daleaholic

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:04 am

El Al to return. Unsure when exactly or with what equipment but they will be back at some point in the not too distant future.
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

lisbonbearuk

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:19 am

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 207):
El Al to return. Unsure when exactly or with what equipment but they will be back at some point in the not too distant future.

Source?

UAL777UK

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:53 am

Quoting timberwolf24 (Reply 31):
There were rumors of UA/CO starting ORD-MAN this past spring but that did not happen. Has anyone heard of any rumors if ORD-MAN on UA could happen in 2012?

I think there are lots of rumours out there about what will happen with any new routes with UA and what aircraft will fly them but I suspect that they have their hands full right now getting through the merger. With oil all over the place etc they might just stick with EWR for now.

Quoting col (Reply 66):
I agree with the link to ORD, but it would be better served with CO/UA. Back in the day I used BMI on the route, because it offered better service. Sadly, they had their head up their a$$, and now we see what they have become. If MAN has to put up with the 757's at least have some quality about them. DL and CO/UA have at least brought theirs into the 21st Century.

No comment about AA and what they offer but the CO(UA) 757s are certainly very nice. I personally have not been on a DL 757. I agree that ORD is very much UA territory and I hope we see UA flying it in the not too distant future.

col

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:28 pm

Quoting ual777uk (Reply 209):
No comment about AA and what they offer but the CO(UA) 757s are certainly very nice. I personally have not been on a DL 757.

AA suck big style. DL are similar to CO, but do not get one with the PW engine surge it becomes a real pain in the a$$. They are all noisy for a 7hour slog, but not as bad as a 77W. Now if they could all buy 380's, the pax would love them, just got off 9V-SKB HKG-SIN, it is just such a feel good tube.

Daleaholic

Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:40 pm

Quoting lisbonbearuk (Reply 208):
Source?

Crew let slip on a one off football charter last week.
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

David_itl

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:22 pm

First 787 pax flight press release includes this:

"The 787 only carries 210 to 250 passengers. That means it can fly nonstop routes that larger planes can't profitably support like San Francisco to Manchester, England or Boston to Athens, Greece."

Isn't it odd for MAN to be picked out at random on a report that's being distributed globally. What airlines due to get the 787 would be tempted by such a route?

VS - can't imagine that as a route for them just yet.
BA - pigs will fly and hell will freeze over before they accept that there is such a thing as premium MAN pax wanting to not route via LHR or other airports.
AA- not officially on order and they would look at LAX in any case if they wanted to launch a west coast route.
UACO - more likely to start ORD and IAD (in that order).
DL - think they''ll stick with ATL + JFK for the time being.
NZ - I beleive have the rights to expand their Californian 5th Freedom services, have the knowledge of how many of their pax going to New Zealand come from these parts (and the price they pay!) and may be very tempted to launch a route with no competition.

mainMAN

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:28 pm

Quoting david_itl (Reply 212):
Isn't it odd for MAN to be picked out at random on a report that's being distributed globally. What airlines due to get the 787 would be tempted by such a route?

I've just read that JAL's long haul 787s will have 186 seats, 42 in business and 144 in economy, and the first will fly between Narita and Boston. This is approximately 900 miles longer than Narita and Manchester. It's an interesting analogy, worth some thought.

I'm of the school of thought that the 787 could potentially be of massive benefit to places like BOS and MAN, and the almost infinite number of secondary markets........ It's a contentious point to some nay-sayers and only time will tell.

The O&D market to and from the North of England is immense; which other non-hub airport (and non-hub carrier base) has the demand to be offer 7 daily flights to the 3 main Gulf hubs alone? Nor do many in the EU have the demand for 9 or 10 daily transatlantic flights....

Quoting david_itl (Reply 212):
VS, BA, AA, UACO, DL, NZ

With the exception of NZ, it isn't really these carriers I'd expect to see ramped up MAN services, other than by using the 787 as a replacement for current aircraft. It's to the east and south that I think there'd be more chance, for example CA, AI, NH, and KQ.

GT4EZY

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:24 am

Quoting mainMAN (Reply 213):
The O&D market to and from the North of England is immense; which other non-hub airport (and non-hub carrier base) has the demand to be offer 7 daily flights to the 3 main Gulf hubs alone? Nor do many in the EU have the demand for 9 or 10 daily transatlantic flights....

Not nit picking here but whilst I agree with your sentiments, relatively few of your AUH, DOH and DXB pax can be described as O&D.
Proud to fly from Manchester!

ZKOJH

Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:38 am

as we move into 2012, hopefully a good year for the airport oh wait; so far 3 new longhaul routes we now know of

1. Air ASIA X to KUL - A332
2. HK AIRLINES to HKG - A332
3.United to IAD - 757-200 - (new one)

Just need that link to LAX/SFO - come on NZ! and PEK -CA and think were sorted..
Air New Zealand ~ dreams of flying

Mattuk

Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:40 pm

Quoting EZY320 (Reply 178):
EZY will move to T1 on 17th November, 2 days after ZB move to T2. They will use the old Monarch checkin area and ticket desk. This has been confirmed internally and we have also been told that stands 01, 02, 04, 23, 25 & 27 will be used on 1st wave departures and non airbridge B Pier stands will be used on the 2nd/3rd wave flights to enable quick turnarounds. The stand allocations have been approved by Manchester Airport. The move to T1 will enable growth as T3 was running out of available stands for the EZY aircraft, particularly early in the morning. It's looking likely (but not yet confirmed) that Lufthansa, Swiss and KLM will move to T3 in their place, SAS and TAP are also rumoured to be moving across to T3.

easyJet's terminal change finally official. It will be from Wednesday 30th November.

http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/m....nsf/content/easyjetterminalchange

BMIFlyer

Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:22 pm

Cyprus Airways has stopped flights to MAN from today - with no notice. Today's flight is the last departure - yet they haven't told any of the pax.....

My company has however reported that they have "gone bust". Any clues??
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Mattuk

Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:52 pm

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 217):
Cyprus Airways has stopped flights to MAN from today - with no notice. Today's flight is the last departure - yet they haven't told any of the pax.....

My company has however reported that they have "gone bust". Any clues??
http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...ays-drops-manchester-larnaca-route

http://www.cyprus-beach.co.uk/cyprus-holiday-flights-uk-axed/

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/cyprus-ai...s-axes-flights-manchester/20111005

This was announced in early October. I'm not sure of the exact reasons, but I believe it may have something to do with freeing up aircraft as their A330s are due to leave their fleet in due course.

cornish

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:11 am

Quoting Mattuk (Reply 218):
This was announced in early October. I'm not sure of the exact reasons, but I believe it may have something to do with freeing up aircraft as their A330s are due to leave their fleet in due course.

The A330s leave the fleet at the end of the year. However they are already gone from the LHR run, etc as they have been wetleased to the UK MoD for troop charters until that time.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

CYatUK

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:51 am

Quoting Mattuk (Reply 218):
ttp://www.businesstraveller.com/new...ays-drops-manchester-larnaca-route

http://www.cyprus-beach.co.uk/cyprus-holiday-flights-uk-axed/

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/cyprus-ai...s-axes-flights-manchester/20111005

Quoting cornish (Reply 219):
The A330s leave the fleet at the end of the year. However they are already gone from the LHR run, etc as they have been wetleased to the UK MoD for troop charters until that time.

That is correct. CY are returning their two A330s back to the lessor a year earlier (one is to go in Dec 11 and the other in Jan 12) mainly because their leases were expensive and the planes could not make any money for the airline (bearing in mind Aegean's entry into the LCA-LHR market).

At the moment both a/c are wet leased to the UK MoD until the expiration of their leases.

As a result of the fleet reduction, CY have completely cancelled flights to MAN apart from certain flights during the Christmas holidays which have been programmed mainly for students.

Part of the deal for the early A330 return to ILFC is for the lease of 2x A321 in April and May 2012 so there is a chance flights to MAN may resume in Summer 2012.

On the contrary, the airline have announced the commencement of flights to STN in the next few weeks. The flights will be performed twice weekly in Winter 2011/2012 and will increase for Summer 2012.

[Edited 2011-11-01 01:57:53]

Mattuk

Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:37 pm

Looks like this morning's MAN-MUC SQ327 777 Singapore Airlines flight has overshot the runway on landing in MUC.

The South Runway at MUC is currently closed.

SIA 777 Off Runway In Munich (by skinnerde Nov 3 2011 in Civil Aviation)

David_itl

Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:01 pm

Time for MAN news 44. Pop over to that thread now!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos