Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mayor

RE: French Actor Urinates On Commercial Flight

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:23 am

Quoting something (Reply 32):
Fun fact, Emirates airlines carries 8 spare seat covers on their flights to India and rarely leaves those unused.

There was a rumor that PA had an instructive video on their flights to and from India, to let the pax know how to use the lavs. Supposedly, DL removed the video and then the problems began. Again, this was a rumor, so I don't know how much stock to put into it.

Quoting shufflemoomin (Reply 40):
Really? I'd be breaking federal law while going for a crap to avoid myself embarrassment and avoid everyone around me having to smell me for the whole flight? Only in the USA would that be the situation. Ask yourself why your country feels the need to treat people who don't want to follow "rules" on an aircraft as federal criminals. I'll happily go to the bathroom whether they "let" me or not because I can think for myself. Unlike the majority of Americans, I'd accept responsibility for my own actions and not get on the phone to a lawyer the second I got a bump for turbulence. It's all a moot point anyway since I'd only fly a US carrier if there was no other possible option, exactly for the attitude described above.

Can you honestly tell me that there are not similar safety regs in the UK or the rest of Europe and if there are, that they are only followed when the pax feel like it?
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

woodsboy

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:54 am

If your IBS and/or incontinence are absolutely uncontrollable by any means and you refuse to take the necessary precautions to avoid an accident whether on an airplane or when you are in a situation where being able to use the bathroom in a seconds notice is not possible, you bet you would need to plan your life to avoid such situations. You have absolutely no right to inflict your irresponsibility regarding your health problems on anyone at anytime in any situation. If you cant or wont control yourself on an airplane then you have no right to be there, I dont care what the disability is. Luckily most people with disabilities DO take responsibility for themselves and take the measures necessary to ensure that accidents dont happen. I think you will find that most people with disabilities take pride in their ability take personal responsibility, those who dont or wont have no more right than you or I to piss themselves in public or on an airplane. Put Depardieu on the no fly list along with anyone else who thinks its their right to disregard safety regulations because of their unwillingness to look after themselves.

tymnbalewne

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:58 am

Passenger to Depardieu: "You're peeing?!?!"
Depardiew to passenger: "Oui, yes, and you? You're American?"
Dewmanair...begins with Dew

LordMontenegro

Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:11 am

So wait I'm a bit confused... did he just piss himself, or did he like... full-on unzip and urinate on a part of the plane like that guy who urinated on the little girl last week? Either way... star or not... that's sickening. If you're so drunk you can't control your bladder long enough to reach a cruising altitude, then you probably shouldn't be flying either.

Really? I'd be breaking federal law while going for a crap to avoid myself embarrassment and avoid everyone around me having to smell me for the whole flight? Only in the USA would that be the situation. Ask yourself why your country feels the need to treat people who don't want to follow "rules" on an aircraft as federal criminals. I'll happily go to the bathroom whether they "let" me or not because I can think for myself. Unlike the majority of Americans, I'd accept responsibility for my own actions and not get on the phone to a lawyer the second I got a bump for turbulence. It's all a moot point anyway since I'd only fly a US carrier if there was no other possible option, exactly for the attitude described above.

When I was younger, I recall being on a flight (it was either US Airways or Continental, I can't remember which) where we were taxiing along towards the runway and a passenger got up and went to the bathroom. We stopped taxiing (and we weren't stuck in traffic either; it was a smaller airport) and they made an announcement that we couldn't proceed any further until every passenger was strapped into their seats. The guy came back to many disgruntled looks and we continued on our merry way then. I don't know if he had a disorder or just decided that he definitely had to go to the bathroom, but nobody was happy with him, especially considering many of us were hoping to make connections.

That being said, I can't fault the flight crew for making that decision, and I would have done the same thing in their shoes. Please don't misunderstand me, I do empathize with you and others who have disorders because I can imagine the burden. But at the same time, is it fair for you to potentially inconvenience everyone else, if there are alternative options for you to help control your health issues? If it were me, I'd do everything in my power--medication or whatever they sell to help with that sort of thing--to ensure that I keep it as under control as I possibly can, especially if it's that severe. I appreciate the willingness to accept the responsibility for your choices, but I'm certain that won't fly (no pun intended) with the flight crews looking to respect FARs and protect their jobs, and even less so with the majority of your other passengers who may be on tight connections.

toobz

Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:29 am

Quoting LordMontenegro (Reply 53):
When I was younger, I recall being on a flight (it was either US Airways or Continental, I can't remember which) where we were taxiing along towards the runway and a passenger got up and went to the bathroom. We stopped taxiing (and we weren't stuck in traffic either; it was a smaller airport) and they made an announcement that we couldn't proceed any further until every passenger was strapped into their seats. The guy came back to many disgruntled looks and we continued on our merry way then. I don't know if he had a disorder or just decided that he definitely had to go to the bathroom, but nobody was happy with him, especially considering many of us were hoping to make connections.

I've seen this on DL flights to SVO frequently lol

goldorak

Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:44 am

Depardieu is also so much overweight now, that I'm wondering how he can sit in an AvroRJ85 CityJet seat. They are so cramped in the 3x3 config.

PanHAM

Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:14 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 27):
When in Rome do as the Romans do.

Tell that to Obelix.   

Amazing to see some reactions. Now, Ok, IMHO he should have made it to the toilet and even if he had left the door open it would have been OK. His personal insurance will likely cover fo the damages and evetnbually he will have to pay a fine.

But dear Americans, in this part of the world no one will arrest any person, famous or not, for such an incident.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

santos

Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:45 am

Has anyone seen FR website?
They are using headlines such as "Pissed Off With Other Airlines Fares?", Then both "accidents" by AF & CityJet
http://www.ryanair.com/en

MadameConcorde

Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:34 am

Quoting airproxx (Reply 47):
Depardieu is a monument in France... and a regular passenger for AF. One of the few you take care of

No way. No excuses. This was not a private flight. He was on a commercial flight with everybody else i.e. the Mr or Mrs Lambda. No special treatment for such a fugly person with such behaviour, be him a "monument" of sorts.

Being a superstar does not give you the right to behave like this in public.

Do it on a private yacht or private flight but not on Air France.
He should have abided to the cabin crew order, that's it.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

FlySSC

Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:44 am

Quoting CuriousFlyer (Reply 6):
Hopefully Air France will ban him

"Such "Black List" or "No Fly list" are illegal in France.

Air France can not refuse to sell a ticket for this reason.

Max777geek

Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:27 am

Quoting shufflemoomin (Reply 1):
I suffer from IBS and have to use the toilet on very short notice regularly. It does worry me when flying since from the time boarding starts until the seat belt sign goes off, I can't use the bathroom. If I had to go, I'd go whether a flight attendant said I could or not. I'm capable to taking the risk of injury while doing so. I'd hate to end up in the papers for crapping in my seat, but I'd rather their stuff got ruined than mine, since they're the ones stopping me doing it in the proper place.

Must be few days that you suffer from a specific disturb because it's been a little while that something called "catheters" and "diapers" are on the market.

BSLFRA

Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:09 pm

And this is the answer of Ryanair

http://ow.ly/66k4B

Revelation

Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:30 pm

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 38):
Quoting ikramerica (Reply 30):
Completely against regs, F/As look visibly annoyed, but they seldom stop the person

I once asked a FA if I could go 'real quick' and she told that she can't tell me that I can't go. Is there a biological 'right' that trumps the 'safety' rule?

Once I was flying with my former wife. Plane was #2 in the queue for takeoff. She went running down the aisle into the john and was throwing up for several minutes. The F/As were yelling that she couldn't do that, but that didn't deter her. Too bad for them.

In this case, the FAs told Gerry that the toilets were locked. I'm not sure if they do that or not.

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 43):
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news...ticle.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10745819

Nice title: Urinator II: Depardieu caught short

Double entendre?

Seems Gerry's friends say he was trying to pee into an empty bottle discretely but couldn't manage it and so the urine was spilled. They also say he was not drunk and he was allowed onto the next flight.

Still, other pax say he stood up and whipped it out and let fly.

I guess we'll never know the truth.

I'm not sure I really want to know!
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Quokka

Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:37 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 62):
In this case, the FAs told Gerry that the toilets were locked. I'm not sure if they do that or not.

Toilets can be locked and I have seen that happen on a flight during turbulence. It is also very easy to open them if they are bolted on the inside (for safety reasons of course).

bennett123

Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:43 pm

Well if they lock the toilet, then they will get wet floors.

Quokka

Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:54 pm

Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 64):
Well if they lock the toilet, then they will get wet floors.

Yes it would seem so but if they limit the number of ignorant, arrogant and selfish drunks the risk will at least be reduced to those hwo have a genuine medical condition. Remember that this visibly drunk person did not simply wet himself by accident: he chose to make a point. Theparticular aircraft got the wet floor because this man with an overexaggerated sense of importance thought that the rules don't apply to him.

bennett123

Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:08 pm

I seem to recall instances where the seat belt sign is on, (and presumably the toilets locked) for substancial portions of the flight time.

This issue has wider implications than this flight.

Grid

Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:25 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 58):

Being a superstar does not give you the right to behave like this in public

No, but it means that if you're prosecuted, you will probably be let off easier, especially if you're a rich superstar.
ATR72 E120 E140 E170 E190 Q200 717 727 737 747 757 767 777 A319 A320 A321 A330 A340 MD11 MD82 MD83 MD88 MD90

Quokka

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:01 pm

Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 66):
This issue has wider implications than this flight.

True and I will concede that leaving seat-belt signs on for an extended period is a problem on some flights. But in these sorts of instances the cabin crew can check with the flight crew to see if the sign can be extinguished. In this particular instance the aircraft had not left the ground and was taxiing for take off. Not quite the same situation, IMO.

Having read several reports of this "star's" previous behaviour, I admit that I am not likely to show sympathy towards him. He was particularly ungracious when another actor received attention and sought to discredit her in the most vituperative fashion. Madame Concorde appears closer in her estimation of this "actor", although I think that she too polite. Yes he has appeared in a number of successful films, but that does not prevent him from being a ineffectual buffoon or behaving like one.

PanHAM

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:02 pm

Quoting Grid (Reply 67):
No, but it means that if you're prosecuted, you will probably be let off easier, especially if you're a rich superstar.

in reality it actually means that you will be hit harder, as we can see in this thread. But relax, there won't be any prosecution and no trial either. What for anyhow. And, other reports say that he was not drunk either and the story with the bottle was reported in most media as well. No other passenger complained, they all remained silent.

But the media likes it in sour grape times like feragosto.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

Curiousflyer

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:03 pm

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 59):
Such "Black List" or "No Fly list" are illegal in France.

Air France can not refuse to sell a ticket for this reason.

So, nothing? He can do it again? Pee all over AF's floors? Delay other flights? What about other passengers? Can they do it too or do they just have to endure this?

PanHAM

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:21 pm

Quoting CuriousFlyer (Reply 70):

So, nothing? He can

There are no black lists and there is no carte blanche either. But as sh*t happens, so does pee.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

Kaiarahi

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:30 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 33):
He thinks he has special rights

And you know this how?

I never liked Depardieu. He is hideous looking

Are you suggesting that ugly people should be treated differently?
Empty vessels make the most noise.

Grid

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:33 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 69):
in reality it actually means that you will be hit harder, as we can see in this thread.

I know, I was not referring to people in this thread but to people who actually matter.

Quoting CuriousFlyer (Reply 70):
So, nothing? He can do it again? Pee all over AF's floors? Delay other flights? What about other passengers? Can they do it too or do they just have to endure this?

Yes, he can do it again and suffer the consequences or lack thereof. Other passengers can do it too, and they will face the consequences. It's called living in society and enduring everything that, unfortunately or fortunately, goes with it. We're limited in our ability to restrain people prior to the act, we have to punish after and hope it does not occur again.
ATR72 E120 E140 E170 E190 Q200 717 727 737 747 757 767 777 A319 A320 A321 A330 A340 MD11 MD82 MD83 MD88 MD90

Quokka

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:34 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 69):
No other passenger complained, they all remained silent.

This may be true and if so it is one of the most common causes for police forces to not prosecute suspected offenders following many crimes. No one saw anything because they don't wish to become involved. People often witness crimes (or at least unlawful acts) and they neither assist the victim nor report it because they don't wish to become involved, for whatever reason. Sometimes it is fear of retaliation, sometimes the fear of being bogged down in legal proceedings, with impact on time and inconvenience. Whatever the reasons, this may have the unfortunate affect of the assumed guilty never being cleared of doubt and the presumed innocent getting off.

Just as we may discount an incident because of the lack of those willing to report, we should not totally discount it because few are willing to make statements to either confirm or deny. But in the absence of witnesses it would be hard for law enforcement officers to bring any sort of case.

PanHAM

Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:34 pm

Quoting Quokka (Reply 74):
This may be true and if so it is one of the most common causes for police forces to not prosecute suspected offenders following many crimes

well, we are not talkin about a crime here and the flight attendants are witness enough and the airline is not pressing chargs. Police forces do not prosecute anyhow, they are just working for the state attorney. But you can turn it upside down and backwards, there is no case.

Even if there wpould be aq case, nothing more than a fine would come out of this.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

something

Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:48 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 75):
Even if there wpould be aq case, nothing more than a fine would come out of this.

And I find it most surprising that something so axiomatic leaves room for debate.

What an achievement the state of law is! And how surprising it is that this fairly simple construct appears to be unattainable in its nature to most. It's one of the fundamental pillars our societies reside on - but in the eyes of many should only, when they like it. A part-time state of law, if you will.

Good thing justice doesn't have business hours here..
..sick of it. -K. Pilkington.

Revelation

Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:14 pm

When in Rome do as the Romans do.

Have an orgy?
Throw Christians to the Lions?

Quoting Grid (Reply 67):
Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 58):
Being a superstar does not give you the right to behave like this in public

In this case, Gerry got a little time to chill (and presumably to make sure his bladder was quite empty indeed) and then was booked on a later flight. He's also made a public apology. So, I hope this is the end of it all.

AR385

Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:49 pm

Quoting kaiarahi (Reply 72):
And you know this how?

While I won´t defend other parts of the post you refer to, and other posts, he is well known in Europe for a temper that disregards rules, is rude to strangers in general and not a nice person to work with in recent years. He apparently is one of those celebs whose fame has unfortunately gotten the best of themselves.

About him being "hideous" that´s irrelevant to the thread and the discussion, but frankly, you won´t see me running to get his picture if I ever encounter him walking in Paris.

Aesma

Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:26 am

I wouldn't know if Depardieu is rude, but he's definitely an alcoholic and has been for decades, and the death of his son recently must not have helped.

Quoting goldorak (Reply 55):
Depardieu is also so much overweight now, that I'm wondering how he can sit in an AvroRJ85 CityJet seat. They are so cramped in the 3x3 config.

Yeah, being big myself and having just flown them CDG-FLR-CDG, I concur ! He may have booked two seats, however, or it is maybe standard to have the center seat free in the front ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

varig md-11

Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:20 am

Quoting YULWinterSkies (Reply 12):
No-fly list for Gerard would be justice. This douchebag can afford to fly in his own jet anyway.

Absolutely! and the guy could even own a private jet, why is he polluting life of average people?

The Mr Depardieu is a celebrity in France for his many roles in famous films so maybe he thinks this gives him the right to do whatever he pleases anywhere he goes. He thinks he has special rights -- including pee-ing in the cabin of an airplane in front of passengers -- only because he is a famous actor.

Now I wonder what would have happened if a Mr Anonymous had behaved just like him on board an Air France flight. I bet they would have called the police and the Mr Anonymous would be disembarked from the aircraft handcuffed and then interrogated in a special room.

I am sure Depardieu got a special "film star" treatment. Somebody else might not have had the same luck.

I can't agree more, that's what I hate now in our banana republic: if I did that I would be sent immediately to Bobigny tribunal (CDG jurisdiction, kind of Bronx) for "comparution immediate" in front of a nasty judge and sentenced to reimbursed all costs to AF + a fine for public exhibition or something

Quoting goldorak (Reply 55):

Don't worry, they gave him 3 seats for free at check in....

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 59):
"Such "Black List" or "No Fly list" are illegal in France.

yep, only snappy remarks are allowed in the amadeus file "pax smelled alcohol and shouted at me" "pax is difficult to deal with" "pax looks like he took narcotics" much more legal indeed!

To give an idea about this guy, he destroyed an SUV with an iron bar in open day in Paris in 2009 because he was tired of 4X4 parking close to his domicile....his lawyer made immediately a big cheque to the victim an the hole story was minimized and requalified as 'he lost his temper" and he had "a heat flash".....meaning he was drunk already

http://www.7sur7.be/7s7/fr/1527/Peop...-apres-des-incidents-a-Paris.dhtml
AF TW AA NW DL UA CO BA U2 TP UX LH SK AZ MP KL SN VY HV LS SS TK SQ PC RG IW SE LI TX PY

Grid

Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:53 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 78):
And you know this how?

While I won´t defend other parts of the post you refer to, and other posts, he is well known in Europe for a temper that disregards rules, is rude to strangers in general and not a nice person to work with in recent years. He apparently is one of those celebs whose fame has unfortunately gotten the best of themselves.

About him being "hideous" that´s irrelevant to the thread and the discussion, but frankly, you won´t see me running to get his picture if I ever encounter him walking in Paris.

How do you know it's fame? A lot of people who are not celebs are jerks.And not all celebs are jerks, etc.

Kaiarahi

Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:56 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 78):
And you know this how?

While I won´t defend other parts of the post you refer to, and other posts, he is well known in Europe for a temper that disregards rules, is rude to strangers in general and not a nice person to work with in recent years.

Fair enough. It's one thing to say "he behaves as if ...", another to say "he thinks ...".
Empty vessels make the most noise.

AR385

Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:08 pm

Quoting Grid (Reply 81):
How do you know it's fame? A lot of people who are not celebs are jerks.And not all celebs are jerks, etc.

I do not know with a 100% certainty. However, it is from people with a lot of money that are celebs with whom we usually hear this type of behavior. And I´m not talking from thrashy media.

Rock stars who destroy hotel rooms, low-life actors that insult their producers (and get kicked out of their shows) top supermodels who are insulting towards cabin crew, certain South American folk singers screaming to the FAs to bring them coffee during climbout, Gérard Depardieu peeing on the floor of the plane, a star that drinks in a bar and then drives his Porsche at over 180mph towards an early meeting with whomever superior power he believes in without any regard on wether nor not others could have been driving that route at the same time and some more examples I could cite.

Just as well, I willl concede there are celebrities that behave flawlessly when travelling, and I have witnessed this behavior firsthand, Jimmy Smits being an example. And of course, we just hear about the rotten apples not the good ones, after all, having Kirk Douglas fly with you a transcon without not much as a peep and being a gentleman is not news material.

But given the sample, I think I can say with confidence that certain celebs in general tend to cause trouble when flying commercial, and in other aspects, and that yes, it is the celeb complex that makes those celebs that behave like spoiled children, behave like that.

Grid

Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:34 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 83):
I do not know with a 100% certainty. However, it is from people with a lot of money that are celebs with whom we usually hear this type of behavior. And I´m not talking from thrashy media.

Yeah, you hear about them because they are celebs.

Quoting AR385 (Reply 83):
But given the sample, I think I can say with confidence that certain celebs in general tend to cause trouble when flying commercial, and in other aspects, and that yes, it is the celeb complex that makes those celebs that behave like spoiled children, behave like that.

Yes, reach for the simple reason and excuse like people tend to do.

Geezer

Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:57 pm

Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 5):
Perhaps we should have a separate "urination and other misconduct" forum

We already have one; it's called "Non-Aviation" topics...........we discuss EVERYTHING there !

[quote=CuriousFlyer,reply=6]They did well kicking him out of the flight. Hopefully Air France will ban him until he issues an apology and pays for the damage.

My thoughts exactly !

[quote=AR385,reply=7]Gérard Depardieu is famous anyway for behaving like an ass in public and having a high regard of himself, so this is just typical of him.

While I have very little knowledge of this "guy", I know "the type" well; I tend to agree.

[quote=PlaneAdmirer,reply=8]No offense, but for a condition that serious there are adult diapers as alternative to a public bowel movement. For someone to know he has such a condition and not be prepared for it isn't the airlines nor the other passengers fault nor should it be their expense.

That's exactly what I was thinking about.

[quote=YULWinterSkies,reply=12]No-fly list for Gerard would be justice. This douchebag can afford to fly in his own jet anyway. I may not share some a.netters' opinions on systematic severe sanctions for airplane trouble makers, but in the case of VIPs, I'm however all in favor of zero tolerance.
I hope the pax can find a way to sue that jerk for the inconvenience caused to them by the delay.
I can't think of another cause of delay that would upset me as much.

Best reply so far ! I agree whole-heartedly !

As always, almost everyone has a slightly different "slant" on this topic;
I'm not sure just what "IBS" means, but: 4 yrs ago, after being diagnosed with prostate cancer, I had a "brachytherapy" procedure performed. For the first few years "post-op", when I had "the urge", I had very little time to get to the "proper place"; I did have to fly a few times. Each time, just prior to boarding, I went to the lav, "drained out", and donned an "incontinence product"; and each time, happily, I didn't need to use it. No fuss, no muss, no "big scene", and no problem. Now, 4 yrs "in", I still have certain "issues"................without fail, every time I pull up to a fuel stop, and attempt to put fuel in my vehicle, I ALWAYS am obliged to stop, run to the lav, then run back out and continue filling my tank. Same thing when I'm driving 200 miles home from Chicago; I can drive 200 miles with no problem; but the minute I pull into my driveway..............I rarely have time to make it to the front door; so I now have an "emergency zone" near the driveway, ( consisting of a few "bushy" cedar trees ) There is ALWAYS an "alternative" if one "plans ahead". ( and that's my HO )

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

AR385

Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:37 pm

Quoting Grid (Reply 84):
Yeah, you hear about them because they are celebs.
Quoting Grid (Reply 84):
Yes, reach for the simple reason and excuse like people tend to do.

Sorry, I don´t have the energy to engage in a "what comes first? the chicken or the egg " debate with you. Draw you own conclusions.

quiet1

Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:46 am

I only whizzed through the thread, but didn't see a link to this. It almost makes up for the appalling-ness of the act:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...-it-giggles-laughter_n_930208.html

Revelation

Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:23 pm

Quoting quiet1 (Reply 87):
I only whizzed through the thread

but didn't see a link to this. It almost makes up for the appalling-ness of the act:

Indeed, that was a huge golden shower of puns!

I like the old but still funny joke that he should fly on Incontinental Airlines instead!  

Quokka

Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:30 pm

I only whizzed through the thread

Pun intended?  

Nice sketch and some clever plays on words although it was a shame that he needed to explain some of them in case of some of the viewers not getting them.

I wonder how true his remark will be that he might not be remembered so much for his acting as for his acting up.

wukka

Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:03 am

Quoting Geezer (Reply 85):
.I rarely have time to make it to the front door; so I now have an "emergency zone" near the driveway, ( consisting of a few "bushy" cedar trees ) There is ALWAYS an "alternative"

heh! So you're peeing somewhere that isn't a toilet, and claiming alternative?!? Perhaps the alternative was... trying to get to the toilet on a plane? No real "emergency zone" there, sir. You "rarely have time to make it to the front door"? What makes it different for you to not be able to make that extra footage to your home toilet as opposed to the guy that can't make it to climbout? Pot, kettle, black, my friend.

I can only imagine if this were Jerry Lewis! Whip it out!
We can agree to disagree.

vikkyvik

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:30 pm

I apologize for bringing this topic back up, but I had completely forgotten to acknowledge those who responded to me.

Quoting ogre727 (Reply 29):

You are not missing anything, you just fail to see the pattern he sees in the inquisition-type comments from people with american flags.

I see. Note that I speak only for myself, and I don't usually pay much attention to where a poster is from, so yeah, I would fail to see a pattern like that.

Quoting ogre727 (Reply 29):
Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 26):
Besides which, your subjective opinion doesn't matter either.

Neither does yours then...

Completely agree.

It's not a subjective opinion my friend, it's how the law works.

Well, you said "the way I look at that", so I assumed it was your opinion. And I didn't see any legal speak in the paragraph I quoted. Whether it was an accident or not and whether he was humiliated are not regulated by law.

Putting someone on the no-fly list for peeing his seat, is a grossly disproportionate punishment for the ''illegal'' act at hand.

And I don't support putting him on a no-fly list. I never mentioned anything like that. Frankly, what AF does is up to them.

The character in question didn't break any laws. No law -> no fine. How the particular airlines wishes to deal with this case internally is not for me to decide, but denying a paying customer your business over an accident is not a very prudent strategical move.

See above.

Really? I'd be breaking federal law while going for a crap to avoid myself embarrassment and avoid everyone around me having to smell me for the whole flight? Only in the USA would that be the situation.

Safety trumps embarrassment in most situations. And it's not just his own safety. If someone is making their way to the bathroom when the seatbelt sign is on and the plane hits some turbulence, and said un-seated person gets tossed onto a seat and his/her head collides with someone else's, then you could have TWO serious head injuries, even though one person was completely innocent.

Obviously this is a very unlikely case, but it can happen. So if you decide to get up, and this happens, I assume you'll happily pay a (probably quite large) settlement to the other injured party. They really shouldn't have to suffer because you decided you would only follow rules when it was convenient.

Ask yourself why your country feels the need to treat people who don't want to follow "rules" on an aircraft as federal criminals.

I can't really blame the government for having a law that says you must obey flight attendants. Don't you think it's generally a good idea (and a public safety benefit) to obey seatbelt signs?

I'm not one for arbitrarily making laws left and right. But I think there's a clear safety benefit here. And I think that people are often prone to believing that flight attendants are simply there to serve them drinks and snacks, and not for their safety.

Quoting Grid (Reply 45):

As opposed to an objective opinion? Or is there some difference between opinion and subjective opinion?

I didn't originally post that term:

Quoting something (Reply 18):
Similarly baffling how people seem to think their subjective opinion on various matter had any relevance.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

PanHAM

Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:26 pm

Now, finally there is a video about how it happened on that flight:

http://www.welt.de/vermischtes/promi...Pinkel-Debakel-mit-Obelixfilm.html

Text in German, video in French.

enjoy...
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

FlyingAY

Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:36 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 23):
Well, their "orders" come directly from the FAA. I doubt it you'd find many crewmembers who are willing to risk their jobs if there happened to be an FAA inspector on board, by ignoring those regulations so someone could pee.

I think this goes beyond an "incontinence" problem. Apparently, he was drunk and had to pee. Hardly a medical problem, there. I don't think he needs to be banned from flying, but maybe he could pick up the tab for the expenses his problem, caused.

While I think the rules should be followed, here some flexibility from the FAs side would have saved everyone from a lot of frustration - no matter how right they were. There was a topic earlier about being airsick or having an airsick kid (or a kid who just needs to go to the toilet) on the flight during turbulence. I think most of the people agreed that time that it would be reasonable to run to the toilet in that case, even if that was against the FAA rules... There are many things that the passengers do that are against FAA rules on every flight (not switching off mobile phones, switching them on too early, using electronic devices during takeoff and/or landing, not wearing their seatbelts), but still I don't see FAs losing their jobs over that.

AirGAbon

Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:31 am

He thinks he has special rights -- including pee-ing in the cabin of an airplane in front of passengers -- only because he is a famous actor.

Now I wonder what would have happened if a Mr Anonymous had behaved just like him on board an Air France flight. I bet they would have called the police and the Mr Anonymous would be disembarked from the aircraft handcuffed and then interrogated in a special room.

I am sure Depardieu got a special "film star" treatment. Somebody else might not have had the same luck.

It is not true, in France there are some cases of a French TV celebrity or a "famous" French hip-hop singer who behavied very bad with AF cabin crew (alcool, drug, violence, insults etc.) and they were sent to justice, have to give excuses, and put on "monitor list" if flying with AF.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos