Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BW424
Topic Author

City Of Smiles - Caribbean Aviation Thread 90

Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:58 am

Warm greetings to one and all!!

Welcome to the 90th instalment of the marathon Caribbean Aviation Thread. Our fellow CARICOM brothers and sisters from "down under" would definitely recognize the unique title of this edition of Caribbean Aviation! This thread is dedicated to Suriname, and more specifically, the capital city of Paramaribo. Tourism authorities in PBM are campaigning to have Suriname as a more tourist friendly destination. One of the most conspicuous examples of this campaign is the branding of the capital as the.."CITY OF SMILES."

Influenced by numerous cultures - African, Amerindian, Asian, Jewish and Dutch - Suriname reflects this diversity harmoniously in its day to day life.Dominated by mighty rivers which provide essential highways into the rainforest and jungles of the interior, which remain virtually untouched by man, Suriname is waiting to be explored. Suriname's hometown airline is Suriname Airways with services to the Caribbean, North America and Europe. They operate two B733s and 1 A343.

******NEWS FEED******

4th and final Fokker 50 for Insel Air Aruba arrives in mid July.
Insel Air looking at fleet options as it looks to expand into North and South America.
Redjet begins flights between POS and BGI and soon to start POS-GEO and POS-KIN rotations.
BW 523 (9Y-PBM) overshots runway and breaks into two in GEO. All pax survive.
9Y-SXM and 9Y-JMF delivered to BW on July 28.
9Y-JMC delivered to BW on August 17.
LI add fuel surcharge. In effect since August 15.
VS 744 (G-VXLG) blows tires after accidentally entering construction end of runway (Aug 11).
BW to keep MCO route via KIN from August 15.
BW chairman resignation reversed seemingly after a compromise on the purchase of 2 LAN 763ERs is reached.
Trans Guyana Airways BN2 Islander (8R-GHD) skids off Port Kaituma runway.

Photos of PBM!

It is what we think we know already that prevents us from learning.......

wadadli

RE: City Of Smiles - Caribbean Aviation Thread 90

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:24 am

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 221):
ANU was closed until 230p LT today. In the case of AC960, that crew normally turns around in ANU and goes back to YYZ. Perhaps in this case, the crew (and pax) might overnight in BGI and operate BGI-ANU-YYZ sometime tomorrow. Just my educated guess.

ANU airport was indeed closed until around 2:30

AC 960 arrived and leftf for YYZ approx an hour late

BW from POS that was going to KIN cancelled the ANU leg
CO from EWR was temporarily diverted to SJU
DL from JFK was also temporarily diverted to SJU
BA from LGW was diverted to BGI
AA from MIA was cancelled

caribbean484

Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:03 am

Thanks 424 for the new Thread

Apparently CAL has finished negotiations for 2 LAN 767 at US$370000 lease per month for 5 years.

http://www.newsday.co.tt/politics/0,146017.html

Will be interesting to see how this continues.
All ah we is one family

aa1818

Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:47 pm

Quoting BW424 (Thread starter):

Kudos for the new thread- Love seeing some of the lesser known territories featured in these threads.

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 2):
Apparently CAL has finished negotiations for 2 LAN 767 at US$370000 lease per month for 5 years.

Excellent news for CAL. I know many members on here will be cautiously optimistic about this acquisition, and rightfully so. Let's hope that CAL can continue to grow from strength to strength in the region despite strong competition. The success of the MCO route ex POS and the inclusion of a KIN stop-over is a step in the right direction for a carrier that has seemed to be in free-fall since late 2010.

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

aa1818

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:17 pm

Trinidad Newsday- August 22nd, 2011

Quote:
Word is negotiations for the two jets have already been completed with Chilean airline Lan Chile for the lease of the two airplanes for a period of five years at US$370,000 per month or TT$2.4 million per aircraft.

That works out at USD 22.2MM for the five years. I assume that includes maintenance.
I have a few questions- How much could these aircraft have been purchased for (if they were for sale)?
Would it have made more economic sense to purchase rather than lease?
I assume this is a dry-lease and not a wet lease?

Apologies for the double post.

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

2travel2know2

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Quoting BW424 (Thread starter):
Insel Air looking at fleet options as it looks to expand into North and South America.

Since 7I already flies MD80, talking about commonality, could the B717 be among the aircraft for the fleet?

IMHO, LA B767 is a good option for BW, specially since it has the right size for both LON and NYC out of KIN and POS.
Pretty sure, Boeing could have delivered BW brand new B767 (-300ER I believe) in a short time since the B767 line is stil open and there're not that many of those aircraft in order. However, price per aircraft would have been much more than what BW will pay LA for the lease.
Any idea where BW is going to train its crew/maintenance people on the B767? I really doubt BW West Indians will travel to SCL (or LIM) to get aquinted with LA's B767.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

caribbean484

Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:10 pm

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 4):
Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 5):

The way I understood this was that it is a temp lease to eventually get newer a/c but the LAN a/c was the best deal out there on the market. A 763 at list price is US$163m, let say CAL gets a 40% discount that is US$100m for 15 years that works out to be US$6.72m per year of payments, slightly more than the lease price. At 15 years the 763 will be at a disadvantage to the 787 and maintenance will cost them. Better to lease the a/c and then replace them than to buy.

Plus according to this 2011 Aircraft Values, And Lease Pricing (by LAXintl Aug 12 2011 in Civil Aviation)
the lease price is well within the range of norm.
All ah we is one family

yellowtail

Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:39 pm

I get the feeling we are going to see a DL KIN announcement soon. Using the VFR base development (promotion) model they have tested in Some other caribbean / C. American countries over the last 12 monts. This involves an aggressive sales team and marketing campaigns with entities such as Courts etc
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

BW985

Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:46 pm

I'm very excited to hear about BWs London plans.   Hope it all goes well.
Does anyone know when the new service is expected to start? Maybe they are going to dry lease the aircraft before they get ETOPS certification or how would that work?

BW985

aa1818

Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:51 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 6):
Plus according to this 2011 Aircraft Values, And Lease Pricing (by LAXintl Aug 12 2011 in Civil Aviation)
the lease price is well within the range of norm.

Glad to see that the deal is "commercial". Brings a sense of calm and trust the state of affairs at CAL.

The way I understood this was that it is a temp lease to eventually get newer a/c but the LAN a/c was the best deal out there on the market. A 763 at list price is US$163m, let say CAL gets a 40% discount that is US$100m for 15 years that works out to be US$6.72m per year of payments, slightly more than the lease price. At 15 years the 763 will be at a disadvantage to the 787 and maintenance will cost them. Better to lease the a/c and then replace them than to buy.

Your math makes sense. I like the sounds of this deal. Seems to be a winning situation for CAL. The 767 can be used ex POS to MIA, JFK and YYZ during peak times and from KIN to YYZ and JFK.

Since 7I already flies MD80, talking about commonality, could the B717 be among the aircraft for the fleet?

Maybe they'll be inclined to go for 737s or A320s for the range? Aren't the 717s range limited? I understand Insel is looking for range to expand further North and South.

BW/ JM has been receiving new aircraft recently, anyone has the updated fleet breakdown/ livery combinations of the 737 fleet now (listed by registration codes)?

AA1818

BW424
Topic Author

Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:50 pm

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 3):
Excellent news for CAL. I know many members on here will be cautiously optimistic about this acquisition, and rightfully so. Let's hope that CAL can continue to grow from strength to strength in the region despite strong competition. The success of the MCO route ex POS and the inclusion of a KIN stop-over is a step in the right direction for a carrier that has seemed to be in free-fall since late 2010.

Getting a new type is always exciting. especially for enthusiasts such as ourselves. I too am happy that at least some sense prevailed and that the 767 was chosen (though I believe the original plan was to have BW solidfy its KIN base before any longhaul ops). The volatility of the BoD will continue to hamper CAL's potential, no matter how you look at it. Let's just hope the fundamentals are set in stone from the last BoD so that CAL cannot and will not go beyond a point of no return.

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 9):
BW/ JM has been receiving new aircraft recently, anyone has the updated fleet breakdown/ livery combinations of the 737 fleet now (listed by registration codes)?

In order of delivery

BW livery 737-800

9Y-TAB 9Y-KIN 9Y-ANU 9Y-BGI 9Y-GEO 9Y-POS 9Y-SLU 9Y-SXM (white tail)

JM livery 737-800

9Y-JMA 9Y-JMB 9Y-JMD 9Y-JME 9Y-JMF 9Y-JMC

Total of 14 B738s

5 Dash 8s

9Y-WIP 9Y-WIN 9Y-WIZ 9Y-WIL 9Y-WIT

guyanam

Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:09 pm

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 9):

The 767 could replace one of the wetleased 757s on either the POS JFK or KIN JFK run. Which ever route offers more cargo traffic would be the one more ideal for this a/c on a year round basis. My hunch tells me KIN will be better as being closer might also offer more rotations as well during the peak periods. This is not cost effective if planes are left om the ground for 8 months of the year as happened with BW and its A340s.

KIN seems to be opening up with the departure of VS. More capacity will be needed on the KIN LON which will actually be short of airlift. Esp if BA also cuts frequencies as rumored. There also seems to be a strong and "loyal" VFR crowd in LON among Jamaicans. Hopefully they will not balk at that "Trini ting" as some of their North Americans c ounterparts have.

BW on the E/Cbn is more tough a nut to crack. BA, VS and the charters are all well installed on all the markets. Softer demand out of the UK suggests that this market is no longer underserved. The question will be whether BW can carve a niche with a nonstop POS LON flight which will pull some away from the BA route. POS also doesnt enjoy a strong VFR following on the LON route. More business and outbound travel by Trinis going to Europe and beyond.

airjamaica

Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:44 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 210):
At least the planes will have decent interiors, unlike the very worn look of both BW and AJ A340s.
Quoting captaink (Reply 222):
JMs A340 interiors where quite stunning actually, but BW had issues due to the fact that they were 340s from different sources and hardly modified.

Never flown on JM's A343's when they were operational but I have family members who flew them from KIN to JFK, YYZ & LHR and they said the interiors were superb, compared to some other carriers.

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 7):
I get the feeling we are going to see a DL KIN announcement soon. Using the VFR base development (promotion) model they have tested in Some other caribbean / C. American countries over the last 12 monts. This involves an aggressive sales team and marketing campaigns with entities such as Courts etc

Last thing I heard was that they should be operating ATL-KIN again for the Christmas period. Lets see if this will happen.
airjamaica

GUYAIR707

Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:36 am

http://www.demerarawaves.com/index.p...-loses-cabin-pressure-diverts.html

Delta loses cabin pressure enroute GEO-JFK.

Thanks for the new thread 424.

GUYAIR707

[Edited 2011-08-22 20:37:49]

beeweel15

Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:48 am

LA B767 is a good option for BW, specially since it has the right size for both LON and NYC out of KIN and POS.

This what the layout looks like http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/LAN...es/LAN_Airlines_Boeing_767-300.php

Any idea where BW is going to train its crew/maintenance people on the B767? I really doubt BW West Indians will travel to SCL (or LIM) to get aquinted with LA's B767.

Maybe they might do an ACMI for the time being. Think they can go for training in MIA

caribbean484

Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:43 pm

Quoting BW985 (Reply 8):
Does anyone know when the new service is expected to start? Maybe they are going to dry lease the aircraft before they get ETOPS certification or how would that work?

Well CAL currently runs ETOPS-120mins on their 737 and the current LAN 767 are ETOPS approved so it will not be hard for them to extend their ETOPS capabilities to 180mins.
All ah we is one family

captaink

Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:31 pm

Been a while since I have been on here really, so just wondering what happened to the crash investigation? Any news on the real cause, cause when I last read anything it was pretty much speculation..
Look Up

BW424
Topic Author

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:57 pm

Hasn't seen it discussed really, but now it is starting to affect TT aviation. Trinidad and Tobago has been declared by the PM to be in a limited state of emergency on Sunday (I think) due to a recent upsurge in crime.

The following update was issued on the CAL website

UPDATE 2 Tuesday 23 August 2011 – CURFEW PERMITS REQUIRED FOR TRAVEL DURING CURFEW HOURS

"All Caribbean Airlines flights continue to operate according to our regular schedule.
As of tonight, Tuesday 23 August 2011, passengers arriving at Piarco International Airport during the curfew hours will have to apply for a curfew permit at the temporary police post located near the DOMESTIC TERMINAL should they wish to leave the airport during this time. To have this permit issued, passengers must retain their boarding pass and/or ticket and show 2 forms of photo identification."

http://caribbean-airlines.com/index.php/contact-us/newspr/?nid=143

Seems to be a major inconvenience. Whether it's necessary or not for this declared "limited emergency" is up for discussion.

Quoting captaink (Reply 16):
Been a while since I have been on here really, so just wondering what happened to the crash investigation? Any news on the real cause, cause when I last read anything it was pretty much speculation..

It will continue to be speculation until the final report is out. But, from a WSJ article, it does appear to be pilot error as is the case with a lot of overruns.

BE77

Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:56 pm

I like these threads as a frequent traveller through the region - usually to Surinam.

Two topics i am wondering about.

1) BW424 - any chance you could scare up a new map that shows Surinam in the OP?
I already have enough trouble explaining to people where it is  

2) How is the TT curfew actually affecting ops and passengers? Is it a long lineup to get the police pass? Is the curfew making a difference?

Thanks!
Tower, Affirmitive, gear is down and welded

BW424
Topic Author

Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:06 pm

Quoting be77 (Reply 18):
BW424 - any chance you could scare up a new map that shows Surinam in the OP?
I already have enough trouble explaining to people where it is

Well, I cannot edit the thread header as the time has expired for that, but here's a good rendition os PBM's geographical positioning in South America.

Quoting be77 (Reply 18):
2) How is the TT curfew actually affecting ops and passengers? Is it a long lineup to get the police pass? Is the curfew making a difference?

Well, CAL has stated that everything is "business as usual". With respect to the situation with police passes, I'm not sure as I'm not in POS at the moment. Haven't heard of any confusion with travel though....well...at least not yet.

As for the curfew making a difference, that's left up to how the person percieves it.

LimaFoxTango

Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:18 pm

Once again, LI is threatening to cut "unprofitable routes" to get itself on sound footing again. It should be noted that many of LI's destinations are seasonal where numbers are only up during peak periods such as the beginning and end of summer, Easter and Christmas. Other times of the year, loads are considerably down. Perhaps LI could cut destinations with daily flights or multiple daily flights into 1X, 2X or 3 to 5 flights per week. Destinations considered unprofitable in my opinion are STX, AXA, NEV and PTP. Lets see what happens in the future.

LIAT route cuts still on the table

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, August 24, 2011 – As LIAT shareholders consider the future of the regional carrier, the company is still contemplating whether or not it should drop unprofitable routes, an option that has been considered for some time now.

http://www.caribbean360.com/index.ph...business/499144.html#axzz1W06DsMUJ
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

guyanam

Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 20):

LIAT needs to examine what impact its high fares have on reducing loads. If the SKB BGI fare is 50% of the LON BGI fare (I am quoting something real here, not hypothetical) does this encourage intra regional travel.

I see in the midst of the high summer season they are pushing "go fares". The nonstop ANU POS appears a lot. As do certain flights out of GND BGI, the latter might be due to their reports of drops in loads especially on the southern routes.

I dont think that the USVI and AXA are going to do subsidies. Guadeloupe definitely not. Maybe NEV wil offer as LI is now the only carrier with a proper reservation system flying there with Eagle gone.

Is LI being imaginative in its promotion strategies to drum up new business. How aggressive have they been in working with govts to reduce/remove taxes on intra CARICOM travel? Do they encourage multi island travel by visitors to the region they way they used to?

They always strike me as having the attitude of a public utility claiming certain "rights". Like when they got a melt down because BW jumped into GND, a route that it has served in its prior life as BWIA. The onus is on LIAT to make it work... and yes cut routes where loads are too low to support service. If a low performing island (NEV) wants service they pay LI to offer it.

BW424
Topic Author

Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:49 am

Appears that BW may be getting to ex U4 738s.

EC-KBV

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Galen Burrows

EC-KEO

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © T.Laurent

Both are about 4 yrs old. Don't know how true it is though.

BW424
Topic Author

Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:00 am

It appears that GEO pax are going to have a better in-transit experience at GEO. I'm very pleased but at the same time, let's hope the necessary security checks are done both in GEO and POS as the very few can spoil a good thing.....Sorry the full article isn't available. Oh, and let's hope that this is not a "brainless popularity stunt" pulled by the chairman just like is "JFK-GEO 3x weekly from July 2011" and "Big jet to Heathrow".

"CAL promises seamless connection to Guyana via Piarco"

"Caribbean Airlines (CAL) today said that effective immediately all its passengers travelling to Georgetown from Piarco in Trinidad will be able to connect from the arrival gate to the departure gate on the same level of the airport.

Passengers travelling to Guyana via CAL have frequently complained of the hassle of having to go back through Trinidad immigration and other inconveniences before getting to their departure gates."

http://www.stabroeknews.com/2011/new...s-connection-to-guyana-via-piarco/

A388

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:43 pm

Quoting BW424 (Reply 22):
Both are about 4 yrs old. Don't know how true it is though.

They will be going to Aero Caribbean of Cuba, not Caribbean Airlines. They are currently in AMS for painting.

A388

bjorn14

Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:00 pm

I think the 717 would be a great intra-Caribe plane but it just doesn't have the legs to make serious inroads into the USA. It can't make JFK from the Neth. Ant. There are only about 20 on the open market (currently being held by Boeing)

BTW, does anybody know the airline ownership rules in the Netherland Antilles?
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

2travel2know2

Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:39 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 25):
I think the 717 would be a great intra-Caribe plane but it just doesn't have the legs to make serious inroads into the USA. It can't make JFK from the Neth. Ant.

7I is going to need an aircraft with the range to fly between CUR and NYC/CHI/IAH plus probably SAO/RIO too.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

A388

Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:30 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 26):
Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 25):
I think the 717 would be a great intra-Caribe plane but it just doesn't have the legs to make serious inroads into the USA. It can't make JFK from the Neth. Ant.

7I is going to need an aircraft with the range to fly between CUR and NYC/CHI/IAH plus probably SAO/RIO too.

Yes, I wonder which aircraft they will be looking at once they start thinking about expansion further away. So far, nothing is planned to my knowledge.

A388

BW424
Topic Author

Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:01 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 24):
They will be going to Aero Caribbean of Cuba, not Caribbean Airlines. They are currently in AMS for painting.

Oh cool.....Thanks for the correction. I was wondering why CAL randomly picked up another 2 738s.

So these should be Aero-Caribbean first 737s, right? They should look pretty cool with their livery.

bjorn14

Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:03 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 26):

Given the cities you've mentioned they're going to need at least a A319/320 maybe a CS300ER can cover it. GIG/GRU are almost 3000nm. One geographic advantage they have is all their routes will be north-south so no terrible winter winds.

caribbean484

Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:04 pm

I don't think they are for Aero Caribbean since there is still an embargo on Cuba by the US or am I mistaken?
All ah we is one family

A388

Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:11 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 30):
I don't think they are for Aero Caribbean since there is still an embargo on Cuba by the US or am I mistaken?

What I know they are going to Aero Caribbean. Leasing the aircraft will pose no problems to the embargo. Iran also has embargos yet their national airline (Iran Air) still operates western-built aircraft.

A388

yellowtail

Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:12 pm

Here you go guys....>CM to MBJ

CM146 PTY0906 – 1103MBJ E90 27
CM147 MBJ1239 – 1430PTY E90 27

starting 11DEC2011

GUYAIR707

Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:31 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 30):

Apparently they already lease a 732.

GUYAIR707

turk223

Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:03 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 32):
Here you go guys....>CM to MBJ

starting 11DEC2011

And BGI one of these days? Perchance to dream...

yellowtail

Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:36 pm

Quoting turk223 (Reply 34):
And BGI one of these days? Perchance to dream...

I share the dream here in BZE

LimaFoxTango

Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:33 am

Well, the REDjet woes have begun. REDjet cancels all flights effective 26 August 2011. I understand one aircraft is in Costa Rica for maintenance while the other is in BGI with maintenance problems.

REDjet cancels flights

REDjet has cancelled services to and from Guyana, Trinidad and Barbados from today until further notice. Chief Operations Officer Kevin Dudley, said the aircraft was experiencing problems with its hydraulic system and they were working with the manufacturer Boeing, to have the problem rectified in the shortest possible time.

http://www.nationnews.com/articles/view/redjet-cancels-flights/

In other REDjet news, they have now purchased a third aircraft. Obviously, this aircraft is not in BGI yet.

REDjet adds to its fleet

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, Friday August 26, 2011 – Low-cost carrier REDjet says the demand for its service has prompted them to add a new aircraft to its fleet.

The purchase of plane number three comes after three months of being in the skies.

http://www.caribbean360.com/index.php/travel/499331.html#axzz1W06DsMUJ
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

baje427

Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:52 am

I really wonder if the MD80's are suited for the hops Redjet will be doing if they have the money the 717 would be a better option. Is there any word on CAL ATR's on the issue of LI is it that the routes are unprofitable or the airline is staff heavy

bjorn14

Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:17 pm

Quoting baje427 (Reply 37):
I really wonder if the MD80's are suited for the hops Redjet will be doing if they have the money the 717

The MD80 has one less zero on the price tag.

baje427

Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:59 pm

Notice AA has downgraded the BGI-DFW to B738 how long has this been the case if any of you guys know.

windian425

Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:05 pm

Quoting baje427 (Reply 39):
Notice AA has downgraded the BGI-DFW to B738 how long has this been the case if any of you guys know.

AA downgraded the DFW-BGI-DFW rotation from Monday 22nd August, 2011. This was planned from sometime in June. Despite the capacity downgrade, I still think that the 738 is better suited this route in terms of efficiency and long term viability. Perhaps we will see a frequency increase sometime in the future. Not showing an increase for this winter.

airjamaica

Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:48 pm

Quoting windian425 (Reply 40):
Despite the capacity downgrade, I still think that the 738 is better suited this route in terms of efficiency and long term viability.

It reminds me of when AA started ORD-MBJ. Initially they used the B752's but later switched the operation to the B738 ( which is a far more suitable fit I think )
airjamaica

baje427

Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:16 am

Thanks for the information I also think the 738 is a good aircraft for this flight the 738 is also now being used on the AA 651 BGI-MIA route but has now been switched back to 752 any reason for this. Have redjets operations restarted

8b775zq

Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:49 am

Quoting guyanam (Reply 21):
LIAT needs to examine what impact its high fares have on reducing loads. If the SKB BGI fare is 50% of the LON BGI fare (I am quoting something real here, not hypothetical) does this encourage intra regional travel.

Exactly what I've been saying all along. It's ridiculous to have to pay almost $700ecd just to travel to an island I can see from my backyard (SXM). I do agree though that some of the blame for LI's high fares is because of the taxes the govt's apply to travel and instead of complaining about the high price of travel maybe they can reduce these taxes to help ease the burden.
LI complaining of unprofitable routes is nothing new. However LI has itself to blame for having to fly these so-called unprofitable when they killed off their codeshare partner on these routes 3Q who had the right-sized aircraft for these routes. I always remember the midday flight to AXA that was routed ANU-NEV-SKB-AXA and back as always being booked solid on all legs. Now to get to AXA from SKB you have to backtrack to ANU and wait almost a half day for a connection. If LI does leave NEV then that leaves only WM servicing the island until November when 9K begins service to SJU.

windian425

Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:02 pm

Quoting baje427 (Reply 42):
Thanks for the information I also think the 738 is a good aircraft for this flight the 738 is also now being used on the AA 651 BGI-MIA route but has now been switched back to 752 any reason for this. Have redjets operations restarted

AA only used the 738 for the AA651 when they switch DFW to a 738. On the 22nd AA651 operated with a 738 which then operated the AA615 to DFW. AA514 from DFW operated with the 757 and then operated the AA602 to MIA the following morning.
Unfortunately REDjet is still grounded at BGI. They are seeking to lease an aircraft (type unknown) for operations from tomorrow 30th August. Good Luck to them.. Really unfortunate that this happened.

windian425

Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:33 pm

yellowtail

Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:34 pm

For all those who were bashing BW (and the 738) about its GEO overrun. See a GF 320 went off the end of a wet dark runway in India today.

Can happen to the best of airlines.,

2travel2know2

Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:12 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 32):

starting 11DEC2011

If MBJ will be Tuesdays and Sundays and KIN is currently flown Tuesdays and Saturday, how CM return to MBJ leaves KIN frequencies after DEC11 ?
I'm pretty sure that CM will fiy alternate days to KIN and MBJ.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

caribbean484

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:09 pm

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 36):

That can't be good

Quoting A388 (Reply 31):

What I know they are going to Aero Caribbean. Leasing the aircraft will pose no problems to the embargo. Iran also has embargos yet their national airline (Iran Air) still operates western-built aircraft.

A388
Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 36):

It was said that these two are for CAL to replace PBM and an additional, so we will have to see.

Quoting baje427 (Reply 37):
I really wonder if the MD80's are suited for the hops Redjet will be doing if they have the money the 717 would be a better option. Is there any word on CAL ATR's on the issue of LI is it that the routes are unprofitable or the airline is staff heavy

Two ATRs are in production for schedule late October, It was said they will have the logos of the Dash8.

Quoting baje427 (Reply 42):

It's better and more cost effective to run the 738 on such routes for AA, more so if you are not carrying Cargo.

CAL will be starting weekly Cargo services to GEO-MIA on a leased 762 by ABX cargo. It will in turn increase weekly Cargo services between POS-MIA 3w.
All ah we is one family

yellowtail

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:18 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 47):
If MBJ will be Tuesdays and Sundays and KIN is currently flown Tuesdays and Saturday, how CM return to MBJ leaves KIN frequencies after DEC11 ?
I'm pretty sure that CM will fiy alternate days to KIN and MBJ.

Tuesday is usually a critical switch over day for tourists. CM has lots of aircraft in the pipeline so eqp should not be a big issue although the E190 are a bit tighter on the utilization.

If you believe the gossip in CM circles...NAS has been a stellar performer and will be upgraded....so that is probably where the E190 is coming from.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos