Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

debonair

RE: City Of Smiles - Caribbean Aviation Thread 90

Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:35 pm

Quoting windian425 (Reply 45):
See below link for update on REDjet situation.
http://www.nationnews.com/articles/v...email

Sorry if discussed before...

According to redjet CEO:

"•We have signed agreements for two additional aircraft. One is due to arrive in December and the other during the first quarter of 2012
•We have also entered into a wet-lease agreement with an airline that has five aircraft that are on standby in the United States, whenever we may need them"

1.Where are those a/c coming from and what type? Again ex AA MD82?!
2.Which airline he is talking about? Maybe Falcon Air Express?!

baje427

Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:07 am

Well according to this post 2011 Aircraft Values, And Lease Pricing (by LAXintl Aug 12 2011 in Civil Aviation) an MD80 can be picked up pretty cheaply and with AA dumping some aircraft this year securing some should not be so difficult Falcon Air Express aircraft have been into BGI recently so I assuming they are operating on behalf of Redjet.

8b775zq

Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:11 am

Quoting guyanam (Reply 148):
My sister uses them at least 1X per year and reports loads of less than 80 when she flies (2/3 disembarking in ANU from a flight leaving LGW with some seats empty. Also most of the passengers seem to be SKB connected and not loads of leisure tourists. At one point the SKB govt had to have funds escrow for seat guarantees. If funds are still being held in escrow one can debate whther they wouldnt be better spent building market share in the UK rather than supporting a route used by people who would (unhappily) use LI via ANU, as they used to, but would still fly home (or to their parents' home).

The JFK route seems to have come into its own, especially with reduced frequencies in off peak periods.

The BA flights seem to have pretty light loads, why they added a second flight is beyond me. While I agree that pax will use LI if they have to I think many are glad for the option to avoid them altogether as LI has a reputation of leaving pax in ANU while flights depart for other destinations in the general direction of SKB or just simply overflying SKB with the SKB bound pax onboard. Both AA flights as well as both DL flights and the US flight

8b775zq

Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:14 am

Quoting wadadli (Reply 147):
The fact that the schedule currently and has been Tuesday/Saturday was not being disputed. The point was that BA had already published a 2012 summer schedule which saw the flight days change to SKB to Wed/Sat. Remember BA publishes schedules a year in advance and the wed/sat schedule that would have taken effect from March 2012 was available for sale since April 2011. As stated above, that summer 2012 schedule was recently altered which includes SKB returning to the orginal tuesday/saturday flights among the other changes.

Ok I understand now sorry about all that thoght you were referring to the current schedule.

turk223

Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:43 am

Need some advice...

I may have made a bad choice - trying to look for a cheaper way to get home to BGI from MIA and ended up routing through AA at POS connecting to BW from POS to BGI.

So, AA arrives at 12:05 AM and I leave on the BW flight at 5:50 AM. Six hours at Piarco.... I thought I could lime with a Trini friend of mine, but he says the curfew won't permit it! Am I doomed to sit at the airport all alone? Will I have to go landside to check in or will I be allowed to sit airside? And, please tell me no departure tax will be levied!

Al this to save a few dollars!

Any comments?

caribbean484

Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:47 am

Quoting turk223 (Reply 154):
So, AA arrives at 12:05 AM and I leave on the BW flight at 5:50 AM. Six hours at Piarco.... I thought I could lime with a Trini friend of mine, but he says the curfew won't permit it! Am I doomed to sit at the airport all alone? Will I have to go landside to check in or will I be allowed to sit airside? And, please tell me no departure tax will be levied!

Yes sir you will have to sit all alone because Trinidad and Tobago is under a state of emergency and curfew from 11pm to 4am. The departure tax is in you ticket POS-BGI so no worries about that. But you do have free wifi-internet at Poarco, and at that time in the morning the airport is normally dead.
All ah we is one family

2travel2know2

Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:11 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 155):
Trinidad and Tobago is under a state of emergency and curfew from 11pm to 4am

Does this mean that passengers arriving POS after 2300h have to remain in the airport until 0400h when they can leave? Curfew applies only to Trinidad island or both Trinidad and Tobago islands?
I'm not on CM's payroll.

BW424
Topic Author

Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:33 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 156):
Does this mean that passengers arriving POS after 2300h have to remain in the airport until 0400h when they can leave? Curfew applies only to Trinidad island or both Trinidad and Tobago islands?

No, they can leave, however, before leaving the airport they will have to get a curfew permit from the police desk set up at the terminal.
It is what we think we know already that prevents us from learning.......

A388

Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:02 pm

Hello I went abroad for work but I'm back again!!! As I haven't followed the forum for quite some time now, I don't know the developments and latest updates on anything I usually do follow so feed me now if you will 

What's the latest on the Caribbean Airlines crash in GEO and how is JM holding so far in Jamaica?

What I do know is that Insel Air Aruba has started the Fokker 50 flights between the ABC islands and combined with Insel Air they plan to operate 7 daily flights between Curacao and Aruba. Also Fly Aruba is reportedly almost set to start operations, their first A320 is currently in FLL awaiting approval to start flying. See their first A320 in below link:

http://www.skyliner-aviation.de/viewphoto.main?LC=&picid=7422

EDIT: Doing a google search I found out the aircraft is actually already parked in Aruba awaiting its AOC I assume.

A388

[Edited 2011-09-20 10:25:02]

guyanam

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:51 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 149):

The fact that BW has two flights to GEO, reportedly both filled with Guyanese suggests that demand warrants a nonstop. They have 55% market share. They elect not to do so. Should another carrier enter that route BW will have to offer n/s and Delta will have to cut fares. Thats what competition forces. If they dont then the new carrier runs off with the business. There is now possibly more O&D traffic on the JFK GEO than JFK BGI meaning that GEO is the second E/Cbn market ex JFK behind POS.

The market place has a right to say what they wish. They dont like DLs high fares or BWs POS stop than thet is their right. In the mean time they chose each carrier based on what they consider to be the lesser evil, airafres or POS.

I can only wonder why you beat this dead horse when you admit that DL has a right to charge as much as it wants if it can find people to pay it.

wadadli

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:32 pm

Its official. Redjet annouces GEO-ANU effective 22nd November, 2011 - Tue/Sat. Flights already on sale on the redjet website.

http://www.caribarena.com/antigua/to...8449-redjet-ready-for-antigua.html

guyanam

Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:21 am

Quoting wadadli (Reply 160):

Some one made reference to SKB and SLU as unprofitable routes for LIAT. Is thsi true or is this because those islands have held funds in escrow to support major carriers, and some one doesnt see why LI shouldnt also benefit?

LimaFoxTango

Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:17 am

Quoting guyanam (Reply 161):
Some one made reference to SKB and SLU as unprofitable routes for LIAT. Is thsi true or is this because those islands have held funds in escrow to support major carriers, and some one doesnt see why LI shouldnt also benefit?

By no means is SLU an unprofitable route for LI. SLU is one of LI's better performing routes with numerous flights passing thru daily. As we know, SLU's Minister of Tourism (Mr. Chastanet) has always been very critical of LI and I'd just love to know why. It is my understanding the Govt of St. Lucia pay's AE nearly half a million US$ annually in revenue guarantees. A few years ago, SLU paid AE to operate between SLU and BGI. I don't think that flight lasted more than two months before AE dropped the route.

SKB on the other hand, well not sure whats happening there.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

LIA310

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:41 am

CAL 737s on hold for approval
By Vernon Khelawan Thursday, September 22 2011

A Caribbean Airlines request to acquire two additional B-737 aircraft has been put on hold by Government.

Sources at the Ministry of Finance indicate that the request had been received by the ministry for perusal and approval, but the application has since been referred to the Finance and General Purposes committee for study.

As Business Day understands it, the two aircraft were originally intended for the use of the Air Jamaica brand, but with the recent loss of a CAL aircraft in a crash landing at the Cheddi Jagan International airport in Guyana on July 30 (Aircraft registration 9Y-PBM), one of the two new ones would serve as a replacement, while the other would be used in the first instance to resume service between Kingston and Chicago in the United States.

This situation comes on the heels of plans to acquire two used 767-31ER aircraft from Chilean airline Lan Chile, the deal which caused chairman George Nicholas III to offer his resignation to new Transport Minister Senator Devant Maharaj a few weeks ago.

It was reported Nicholas had committed to acquire the two aircraft. On the open market today those planes are listed as costing US$19.62 million each and the current lease rate has been put at US$320,000 each per month. Sources at Piarco say the aircraft are expected by next year April.

The leases, according to sources, which CAL has gone into, are for a five-year period at a monthly lease rate of US$370,000 per aircraft, some US$50,000 above the going rate for such leases. If that lease price turns out to be correct, then it would cost the taxpayers TT$2.4 million per month per aircraft.

It is understood these planes were being acquired to operate CAL’s intended return to London and according to chairman Nicholas, into Heathrow. The slots at Heathrow which belonged to BWIA were sold by the Lok Jack Board before the start up of CAL on January 1, 2007.

Information coming out of Piarco disclose while a lot of work was continuing behind the scenes relative to the planned London service, nothing definitive has as yet emerged as to a possible startup date, or if in fact permission would be granted to return to Heathrow. Additionally, there’s nothing on the airline’s website regarding the proposed London service.

Speaking to an aviation consultant about using the 767 aircraft for transatlantic service, the point was made to Business Day about the need for a civil aviation licence specifically for such an operation, using a twin-engine aircraft). He said it would be necessary for CAL to have ETOPS certification (ETOPS – Extended Operation Over Water), which it does not now have.

He explained however that such a hurdle could be overcome through a wet lease arrangement whereby another airline, complete with its own cockpit and cabin crew can operate the service for CAL. Whether such a clause is part of the Lan Chile deal is still to be revealed.

Another aviation expert, contacted by Business Day, said he was much more concerned about the expanding fuel subsidy now being enjoyed by CAL and which now includes Air Jamaica. Based on historical data and statistics, a daily service to London out of Piarco would utilise more than ten million gallons of fuel annually. If the planned Kingston-London service is also resurrected, that would account for an additional ten million gallons.

This means taxpayers would be footing a mammoth fuel bill, should these two services be re- introduced. Current jet fuel price is US$3.25 per gallon, but the subsidy allows CAL (including Air Jamaica) to pay only US$1.75.

The two B-767s, expected in Trinidad next year, have been in service with Lan Chile since 1996 and were bought brand new by that airline and they have remained in the Lan Chile system since. The aircraft can be configured in three different ways – with three classes it can seat up to 218 passengers; two classes allow seating for 269, while an all economy cabin would cater for 350 passengers. Based on its history, it could be assumed that Caribbean Airlines would stick with their two-class cabin configuration. The B-767 has a range of just under 6000 miles at a speed of 530 mph flying at 35,000 feet. Its overall length is 180’ 3”, while its wingspan stretches across 156’ 1”, while tail height is 52 feet. The interior cabin measure 15’ 6”.

One of the controversies which dogged the now defunct BWIA for years was its multitude of aircraft types and was an issue with which the Lok Jack Board made heavy weather.

When BWIA was shut down on December 31, 2006, the airline was operating three different types of aircraft – B737s; A-340s and Dash-8-300s.

Should CAL pursue the acquisition of the 767s, as it now seems they would, the company would be operating four aircraft types – B737s;ATR-600-72s; Dash-8-300s and the soon-to be-acquired B-767s – a stores and spares nightmare.

But wait, there is also the desire of Chairman Nicholas to acquire two B-777 aircraft specifically for the London service.

Link: http://www.newsday.co.tt/businessday/0,147674.html

A388

Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:47 pm

Quoting LIA310 (Reply 163):
Should CAL pursue the acquisition of the 767s, as it now seems they would, the company would be operating four aircraft types – B737s;ATR-600-72s; Dash-8-300s and the soon-to be-acquired B-767s – a stores and spares nightmare.

But wait, there is also the desire of Chairman Nicholas to acquire two B-777 aircraft specifically for the London service.

My God the media just nevers learns to report correctly. Those Dash-8's will be replaced by the ATR's while the 737NG/767 and 777 all have commonality to a certain level so in no way are these aircraft totally different. They're all Boeing models that share a certain level of commonality, even though it may be minimal!!! If Caribbean Airlines wants to operate the 787 in the future they will just have to get that ETOPS certification so they have to start with that at some point, unless you want to wet lease the aircraft like forever!!!

A388

caribbean484

Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:32 pm

Quoting LIA310 (Reply 163):
Quoting A388 (Reply 164):

The man has a credibility problem. It is well known those Dash8 are gone when the ATRs are come onstream. The talk of 777 is now gone as CAL has settled fro 767 from LAN.
I'm not sure how he came to the conclusion that the lease rate is US$50,000 per month above market rate, as stated by LAXintl the lease rate is between norm.
Another factor is CAL already has ETOPS in the 120mins segment, all they have to do is apply for the extension to 180mins.
All ah we is one family

speedbird2263

Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:50 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 165):
The man has a credibility problem.

It would certainly seem so eh?

Straight'n Up 'N Fly Right Son

guyanam

Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:09 pm

Why is CAL doing ORD MBJ KIN? As far as I know this was always a low yield route. It was suggested on many an occassion that JM drop it, and in fact they did between 1983 and 1996.

Why dont they get back into the Washington area again, either IAD or BWI? That can support service to KIN and there will definitely be good connecting traffic to POS GEO and BGI.

This smells of Nicholas who doesnt understand that Butch Stewart FAILED as an airline operator because he didnrt understand that hotel and airline economics isnt the same. Yields matter and low yields sint something that small carriers can afford, and raping the VFR market (as Butch sometimes did) cannot be used to subsidize losses on leisure routes.

With a ORD MBJ via KIN this will drive the market to AA which will have more than enough capacity in the winter. There is very little VFR and almost none that will connect thru to the E/Cbn.

I also wonder about CAL into LON. The APD is reducing passenger loads. BA is a preferred carrier for business travel. Is there really room for BW? For two 767 aircraft year round? Yes I know one can be used partially on its N American routes but still.

Chastanet's wife loves to go shopping in SJU so SLU must subsidize AE to ensure they dont drop that island. Must be as they added a 2nd flight to SLU and down sized their capacity ex MIA.

LIAT must have a problem as arrivals data throughout teh E/Carib suggest a 50% drop in intra regional traffic. So some islands that used to be fine year round might now not be in soft seasons. I am seeing a lot of "lets go" fares to GND so they must be having a problem there.

[Edited 2011-09-22 12:13:27]

A388

Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:41 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 165):
Another factor is CAL already has ETOPS in the 120mins segment, all they have to do is apply for the extension to 180mins.

That's interesting as Caribbean Airlines has never operated twin engined longhaul aircraft. They even operated the A340-300 to avoid having that ETOPS certification which is difficult to obtain. How did Caribbean Airlines obtain the ETOPS certification you mention? I don't understand how they would get it seeing the fact that they never have operated any twin engined long haul aircraft.

A388

caribbean484

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:15 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 168):

ETOPS is about operating twins over water for extended periods of time, not just long haul. BWIA Operated A340 because at the time POS was Cat2 and could not grant the airline extended ETOPS. If that was not so BWIA would have operated A330 or 763. All CAL 737s are approved for Extended over water Operations, if you look at the right nose you will see it marked ETOPS. The photo below not the best but shows it.
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...2_1851838250_1186674_1683149_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...33_603827532_9558262_4559861_n.jpg

[Edited 2011-09-22 14:16:48]

[Edited 2011-09-22 14:55:02]
All ah we is one family

beeweel15

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:51 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 169):

ETOPS is about oparating twins over water for extended periods of time, not just long haul.

As a matter of fact Aloha from Hawaii operated 737-700 from HNL to LAX/SFO under ETOP's rules

airjamaica

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:04 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 167):
Why is CAL doing ORD MBJ KIN? As far as I know this was always a low yield route. It was suggested on many an occassion that JM drop it, and in fact they did between 1983 and 1996.

Why dont they get back into the Washington area again, either IAD or BWI? That can support service to KIN and there will definitely be good connecting traffic to POS GEO and BGI.
With a ORD MBJ via KIN this will drive the market to AA which will have more than enough capacity in the winter. There is very little VFR and almost none that will connect thru to the E/Cbn.

Myself have doubts re the pending daily KIN-MBJ-ORD-KIN-MBJ route. I would have expected flights to either BWI or IAD to be priority as I think that would have been a much better choice, if the aim is to connect VFR traffic to the EC through KIN.
airjamaica

LIA310

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:12 pm

GND has seen a 19% increase in arrivals from the Caribbean and a 6% increase arrivals from the USA for the first half of 2011 compared to the same period in 2010.

guyanam

Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:13 pm

Quoting LIA310 (Reply 172):

LIATs loads seem to be down though.Otherwise why all those sales?

Maybe CAL is kicking them on the POS GND sector.

[Edited 2011-09-22 16:26:19]

8b775zq

Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:57 am

Quoting guyanam (Reply 161):
Some one made reference to SKB and SLU as unprofitable routes for LIAT

NEV not SKB is unprofitable for LI. SKB-SXM is quite lucrative for them with many persons going on shopping trips. Matter of fact LI fought hard to keep 8B off this route and also another airline that operated ith the DO328JET a few years ago WINAIR has retreated to NEV-SXM only and am sure with the impending arrival of RD on the route LI will lobby hard against it.

LimaFoxTango

Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:25 am

Quoting guyanam (Reply 173):
LIATs loads seem to be down though.Otherwise why all those sales?

Right now is the off season for LI and inter-regional travel on a whole. This is just a way for LI to stimulate some travel I guess. These sales will probably run till mid November or so.

ETOPS is about operating twins over water for extended periods of time, not just long haul. BWIA Operated A340 because at the time POS was Cat2 and could not grant the airline extended ETOPS. If that was not so BWIA would have operated A330 or 763. All CAL 737s are approved for Extended over water Operations, if you look at the right nose you will see it marked ETOPS. The photo below not the best but shows it.

Not to nitpick, but ETOPS really has nothing to do with being overwater. It refers to the distance in time from a suitable aerodrome for diversion while airborne. ETOPS now stand for Extended Operations (according to the FAA).

That's interesting as Caribbean Airlines has never operated twin engined longhaul aircraft. They even operated the A340-300 to avoid having that ETOPS certification which is difficult to obtain. How did Caribbean Airlines obtain the ETOPS certification you mention? I don't understand how they would get it seeing the fact that they never have operated any twin engined long haul aircraft.

Coincidentally, the same reason why JM also had the A340's.

beeweel15

Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:58 am

Looks like AA is getting ready for something big.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspe...ruptcy-card-to-break-labor-logjam/

Rumor up here has it that LH might sell their stake in B6 and AA and B6 are close and might merge.

A388

Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:20 am

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...2_1851838250_1186674_1683149_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...n.jpg
Quoting beeweel15 (Reply 170):
As a matter of fact Aloha from Hawaii operated 737-700 from HNL to LAX/SFO under ETOP's rules

Okay thanks guys, that clarifies it. I was under the impression that ETOPS applies to long range widebody twin engined aircraft operations or "ER" versions of the twin engined aircraft. Even so, I assume twin engined operations on a 737 are different compared to widebody twin engined operations due to the much larger distances flown with much more passengers aboard. I can imagine that the (ICAO) rules are much more strict here(?)

A388

baje427

Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:27 pm

Noticed AA is not daily on the JFK-BGI is this a seasonal reduction?

guyanam

Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:04 pm

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 175):

LIAT had lots of "lets go" offers in August which ought to be a very busy time. I couldnt help but noticing how many were out of GND, some times 3 out of their 4 GND BGI flights.

Quoting baje427 (Reply 178):

Yes. With B6 on the scene they drop frequencies in the spring and fall.

Quoting 8b775zq (Reply 174):

Yes I was surprised when SKB came up on a forum as being one of LIATs loss makers. I know the 504 comes in from ANU and fills up in SKB for SXM and the 550 brings in many from ANU and points south and again fills up for SXM/STT. The last flight which is ANU SKB also shows up full sometimes. In fact I have seen BASE fares of over US$100 on the ANU SKB.

8b775zq

Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:26 am

Quoting baje427 (Reply 178):
Yes I was surprised when SKB came up on a forum as being one of LIATs loss makers. I know the 504 comes in from ANU and fills up in SKB for SXM and the 550 brings in many from ANU and points south and again fills up for SXM/STT. The last flight which is ANU SKB also shows up full sometimes. In fact I have seen BASE fares of over US$100 on the ANU SKB.

Exactly. There is even an extra flight that arrives from ANU at around 5:30pm and goes back to ANU I think via NEV sometimes. Don't know if this is a daily flight though.

8b775zq

Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:41 pm

Maybe I am wrong but it seems to me that LI should reinvest in new twin otter aircraft to serve smaller islands such as NEV, AXA, DOM and the Grenadines. They will fill the role that CARIB AVIATION had when the operated on code-share. These can feed into the ANU and BGI hub for flights to the larger islands. As far as expansion into further destinations I think they might be better served looking at Suriname and French Guinea probably there and the larger markets is where a fleet of Q400's will be better suited. I am not too sure about KIN as CAL is already there and RD will be shortly unless they feed the pax thru ANU. I see no immediate need for LI to acquire any jets in the near future.
It will also help if the island govt's implement special lower taxes for intra-regional travel so as to stimulate this sector. Doing that should allow LI to lower their fares since they claim the high prices are fuel and tax related.

guyanam

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:38 pm

Quoting 8b775zq (Reply 181):

SVG Air already flies from ANU to BBQ and MNI. Maybe they can also handle flights to NEV and AXA, allowing LI to drop those islands.

LIAT and jets is a dream of their pilots. There is absolutely no need for jets. LIAT will NEVER fly to the US mainland. With RD Jamaica will now be overserved (17 flights/week). LIAT needs to figure out how to profitably service its core market, and maybe add ons to neighboring Caribbean/ S American destinations where feasible.

yankeejuliet

Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:45 pm

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 175):

Coincidentally, the same reason why JM also had the A340's.

JM operated A 310s on long haul routes to London in the UK. 1996-1999

airjamaica

Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:05 pm

Quoting yankeejuliet (Reply 183):
JM operated A 310s on long haul routes to London in the UK. 1996-1999

There were also times when those A310's made fuel stops in Gander en route to LHR.
airjamaica

Inbound

Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:12 am

Where the heck is BBQ? I want to go there....
Maintain own separation with terrain!

LimaFoxTango

Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:14 am

Quoting Inbound (Reply 185):
Where the heck is BBQ? I want to go there....

BBQ is the code for Codrington Airport, Barbuda.

Quoting guyanam (Reply 182):
LIAT and jets is a dream of their pilots. There is absolutely no need for jets. LIAT will NEVER fly to the US mainland.

Jets go to places other than the US mainland you know. But in any event, whether or not LI can successfully operate jets is a discussion that will last till the end of time.

Quoting guyanam (Reply 182):
SVG Air already flies from ANU to BBQ and MNI. Maybe they can also handle flights to NEV and AXA, allowing LI to drop those islands.

Upon WINAR's exit from ANU, SVG Air was contracted by the Govt of ANU to operate flights between ANU and BBQ. For them to venture into NEV or AXA I would assume SVG Air will be on their own with that unless they codeshare with LI.

Quoting 8b775zq (Reply 181):
Maybe I am wrong but it seems to me that LI should reinvest in new twin otter aircraft to serve smaller islands such as NEV, AXA, DOM and the Grenadines

Actually, there was some talk about the Govt of ANU acquiring Twin Otters and giving them to LI to operate. They were to be used primarily between ANU and BBQ, but i'm sure LI would've sneaked in a few flights to PTP and NEV as well.

Quoting 8b775zq (Reply 180):
Exactly. There is even an extra flight that arrives from ANU at around 5:30pm and goes back to ANU I think via NEV sometimes. Don't know if this is a daily flight though.

Flight 544/545 is a daily flight and arrives into SKB at 5:15pm. It operates thru NEV from ANU on Wed, Fri and Sat.

baje427

Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:28 am

I am wondering can the Q400 be operated into DOM and Et Joshua?

LimaFoxTango

Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:07 am

Quoting baje427 (Reply 187):
I am wondering can the Q400 be operated into DOM and Et Joshua?

DOM yes. SVD yes but with some restrictions. Whether or not it will be economically viable, well, that's another story.

REDjet plans to launch new Jamaican airline

REDJET, the Caribbean's low fares airline, is planning to create a separate Jamaican airline which will provide hundreds of jobs, less than two weeks after tickets went on sale locally for flights between the island and two other regional destinations.

Speaking with the Business Observer yesterday, REDjet chairman and chief executive officer Ian Burns said that the company has been attempting to fly to the island for the past four years and that the Jamaican government is aware of its aspirations.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/busin...ican-airline_9803417#ixzz1ZILzGlBn

I guess someone realized BGI was not the ideal place to base an airline. Whats the likelyhood of REDjet moving to Jamaica? Discussions anyone?

8b775zq

Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:09 am

I am wondering if Bombardier made a mistake in not upgrading the Q300 and essentially leaving this segment to ATR. They could have done something along the lines of what ATR did with the ATR 42/72 family. Eventually all these planes would need replacement so it is not as if there is no market no matter the size. I for one prefer flying on the 8's more than the 72's.

kasimir

Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:04 pm

Any news from Insel Air? I've understood from Wikipedia that Insel Air is gonna start 7 new destinations (MAO, BAQ, BOG, HAV, SJO, MAR and BRM) in the 4th quarter of this year. I can not imagine that they will expand that much, without additional equipment...

A388

Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:45 pm

Quoting kasimir (Reply 190):
Any news from Insel Air? I've understood from Wikipedia that Insel Air is gonna start 7 new destinations (MAO, BAQ, BOG, HAV, SJO, MAR and BRM) in the 4th quarter of this year. I can not imagine that they will expand that much, without additional equipment...

Wikipedia is one of the least reliable sources to get airline information as anyone can edit those pages so don't trust that source too much.

A388

baje427

Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:02 pm

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 188):

Well with inter regional travel on the decline and. AA, JB have most of the US gateways covered similarly AC and WS have Canada covered redjet would always of had a tough go given the size of the market and the competition. As discussed in other forums the Q300 had poor sales although an Q300 would look nice with six blade props and a Q400 type tail

jm017

Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:14 am

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 188):
Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/busin...ican-airline_9803417#ixzz1ZILzGlBn

I guess someone realized BGI was not the ideal place to base an airline. Whats the likelihood of REDjet moving to Jamaica? Discussions anyone?

I just think they will face the same roadblock as before: a Jamaican government determined to protect the airline it has a stake in. Sure JM has divested. But with the obstacles that were put in place to block two REDJet routes from KIN, do we really think the government will allow REDJet to set up an AIRLINE based in KIN? Time will tell.
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

kasimir

Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:57 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 191):
Wikipedia is one of the least reliable sources to get airline information as anyone can edit those pages so don't trust that source too much.

Might be true that wiki might lacks when it comes to reliable, but most of those mentioned routes have been discussed in the local media already and there are no real surprises there...
The only difference is that wiki mentions a timeframe and I don't believe we will see 7 new destinations in the next 3 months, but its very possible to see it happening in 6-12 months time  

windian425

Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:19 am

Quoting JM017 (Reply 193):
I guess someone realized BGI was not the ideal place to base an airline. Whats the likelihood of REDjet moving to Jamaica? Discussions anyone?

RD is not moving its base from BGI. They are simply using the Ryanair model by opening several bases around the Caribbean. Don't be surprised when the open another base in the region after BGI and KIN.

A388

Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:14 pm

Quoting kasimir (Reply 194):
Might be true that wiki might lacks when it comes to reliable, but most of those mentioned routes have been discussed in the local media already and there are no real surprises there...

These destinations are new to me so I don't know to what extend they have been discussed before.

A388

GUYAIR707

Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:27 pm

Arrived GEO this morning with DL383 and saw ANU there. Shortly after our arrival and prior to disembarking surprise, surprise SXM arrived, all brand new, without hummingbird. Shiny...was working 425 I think.

GUYAIR707

guyanam

Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:15 pm

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 197):

How come you used delta this time if you dont mind me asking? Arent you usually a CAL man?

GUYAIR707

Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:16 am

Quoting guyanam (Reply 198):

LOL, yeah I usually use CAL but I had lots of unused miles on DL. I must mention we had a 2 hour delay because there was no First Officer, and people all around me were saying they would rather this delay than using CAL. I don't know if they were serious, as in a crowd people will exaggerate, but I was too tired to ask any further questions.

That being said, the lav smelt really bad as soon as we got on, and after I asked the FA to get it cleaned she said it was, but that the a/c was old and that was common on the 757...weird. She said we should write to Delta and complain. The a/c was old, they save all the newer/better ones for other routes I guess, even the 763's the send to GEO are battered. At least the ones I've flown on.

I got a glance of PBM in the old GAC hanger as we landed.

GUYAIR707

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos