Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:15 pm

Quoting aklrno (Thread starter):

That's good news. Maybe I should head over. Would be fun 

wilco737

aklrno
Topic Author

RE: 787 Certification Ceremony Announced

Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:34 pm

If you are flying over could you stop and pick me up at TKF? Best not to bring the 747, runway is a bit short.

wilco737

Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:37 pm

Quoting aklrno (Reply 2):
If you are flying over could you stop and pick me up at TKF? Best not to bring the 747, runway is a bit short.

Haha, would be cool. But I am on vacation, no 747 here with me.

Why do they announce it on that short notice? If I would've known it a week in advance I could've arranged to show up. But they won't let me in anyway :P

wilco737

comorin

Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:39 pm

Best wishes to a great and iconic company - Boeing.

tdscanuck

Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:12 pm

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 3):
Why do they announce it on that short notice?

It's not the sort of thing you'd want to announce and then find out you weren't actually getting the certificate. At the same time, you want the certificate as soon as the FAA is ready to give it to you. So it's a pretty tight flow between the FAA deciding they're done and the actual signing.

Tom.

wilco737

Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:14 pm

Quoting tdscanuck (Reply 5):
It's not the sort of thing you'd want to announce and then find out you weren't actually getting the certificate. At the same time, you want the certificate as soon as the FAA is ready to give it to you. So it's a pretty tight flow between the FAA deciding they're done and the actual signing.

Yeah, I understand that. Would be embarrassing if they announce the ceremony and then it cannot take place.

wilco737

UAL-Fan

Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:05 am

Congratulations Boeing! Congratulations on the 787, 747-8, new assembly facility in South Carolina. Congrats on the Delta order.

BMI727

Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:20 am

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 6):
Would be embarrassing if they announce the ceremony and then it cannot take place.

Of course, it's still a little embarrassing throwing a party over the certification of a plane three years late. It's nice that they are getting certified, but maybe they should not do the ceremony and just do a press release.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Stitch

Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:42 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 8):
Of course, it's still a little embarrassing throwing a party over the certification of a plane three years late. It's nice that they are getting certified, but maybe they should not do the ceremony and just do a press release.

It's the first all-new airframe from Boeing in fifteen years. It's also looking to be the most popular widebody model they have ever produced.

Honestly, the only people in 10 years will remember the 787 and A380 were late will be chowderheads trying to score a cheap shot in some unrelated thread on this forum.  

frmrCapCadet

Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:53 am

Actually I think that the everlate 380s and 787s will become an iconic ode to failure as those who deeply investigate will discern causes and implications. Not confined to aviation.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

BMI727

Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:55 am

Quoting Stitch (Reply 9):
It's the first all-new airframe from Boeing in fifteen years. It's also looking to be the most popular widebody model they have ever produced.

Yes, but perhaps a bit of contrition would be good for them. Act like you've been there before and be honest about failures.

Honestly, the only people in 10 years will remember the 787 and A380 were late will be chowderheads trying to score a cheap shot in some unrelated thread on this forum.

Boeing's accountants might remember too.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

tdscanuck

Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:40 am

It's nice that they are getting certified, but maybe they should not do the ceremony and just do a press release.

It's mostly an internal thing, not a press event...there are people who've spent well over a decade of their lives (in some cases, their entire careers) trying to bring this plane to this day. They deserve a little time to celebrate.

Tom.

scbriml

Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:17 am

Congratulations to Boeing. I'm looking forward to seeing the first 787 on approach to Heathrow (but when?)

This seems like a very long time ago now:
The Official 787 Rollout Thread! (by RootsAir Jul 8 2007 in Civil Aviation)

It's been a long and bumpy road for Boeing to get from 7-8-07 to 8-26-11, but they've finally made it. Once that first delivery is made to ANA and it actually enters service, Boeing can take a small pat on the back. Then they have to get the production sorted out and get these planes to their customers. There's still a big hill to climb, but for finally reaching certification, congratulations Boeing!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

LHR27C

Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:31 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 13):
I'm looking forward to seeing the first 787 on approach to Heathrow (but when?)

A week on Sunday, actually, is the plan!
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned forever skyward

ER757

Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:41 pm

Quoting tdscanuck (Reply 12):
t's nice that they are getting certified, but maybe they should not do the ceremony and just do a press release.

It's mostly an internal thing, not a press event...there are people who've spent well over a decade of their lives (in some cases, their entire careers) trying to bring this plane to this day. They deserve a little time to celebrate.

Tom.

Well said, Tom. There are a lot of folks that worked long and hard to get this plane built, tested and certified. Most of them had in no way contributed to the delays and in fact worked long and hard to minimize them. They deserve a day of celebration and recognition. This is not the time to dredge up the well known and documented problems along the way. Wish we could have just one thread here without negativity. It never takes long for someone to rain on the parade.

bonusonus

Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:42 pm

This seems really fast for certification. Didnt flight certification testing only wrap up about two weeks ago?

pylon101

Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:25 pm

We all are waiting for this moment.
We are not eternal, guys.
I knew a couple of enthusiasts who didn't do it - I mean waiting - and left us   
Momento mori....
I am on EK 231/232. The rest is just jet lag.

trigged

Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:16 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 11):
Yes, but perhaps a bit of contrition would be good for them. Act like you've been there before and be honest about failures.

So because a few people misjudged the maturity of the CRFP designs and a few other engineering glitches, that is reason to make all of those at Boeing, who have worked countless hours putting together a ground-breaking aircraft, just sit silent like a dunce in a corner? You're right, maybe we should just fire everyone at Boeing, dissolve the company, and turn everything over to Airbus as punishment.

There is absolutely no contrition needed by anyone at Boeing except those who either caused problems or hid facts. As far as I am concerned, they should have a huge party with everyone invited! Kudos to them getting their certificate and I look forward to flying on a 787 as soon as possible!

Quoting ER757 (Reply 15):
Well said, Tom. There are a lot of folks that worked long and hard to get this plane built, tested and certified. Most of them had in no way contributed to the delays and in fact worked long and hard to minimize them. They deserve a day of celebration and recognition. This is not the time to dredge up the well known and documented problems along the way. Wish we could have just one thread here without negativity. It never takes long for someone to rain on the parade.

Well said.   

Stitch

Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:00 pm

Quoting trigged (Reply 18):
You're right, maybe we should just fire everyone at Boeing, dissolve the company, and turn everything over to Airbus as punishment.

Can't, because the EU must liquidate Airbus for c**king-up the A380 and they're also late on the A350 (at least in terms of the EIS announced at program launch).  Silly

I guess we could hand the market to Bombardier, since they're not yet late on the CSeries to my knowledge.   

[Edited 2011-08-25 13:02:11]

congaboy

Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:05 pm

Well said. Who really cares any more that the A380 was delayed? Is that what you say when you see one parked at JFK? No, you marvel at its presence..let's celebrate the technology and accomplishment to the industry.

Lastly, we tend to forget how vastly complicated and complex this project is, and to do it safely is impressive.
"Joey, you like movies about gladiators?"

trigged

Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:08 pm

Quoting Stitch (Reply 19):
Can't, because the EU must liquidate Airbus for c**king-up the A380 and they're also late on the A350 (at least in terms of the EIS announced at program launch).

I guess we could hand the market to Bombardier, since they're not yet late on the CSeries to my knowledge.   

Sounds good to me! Let's see if Bombardier can design, built, and test a 555 seat double decker aircraft, a 210 seat composite aircraft, and see if they stick to the schedule.   I am sure they could.  

jimbobjoe

Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:04 pm

Of course, it's still a little embarrassing throwing a party over the certification of a plane three years late.

Actually that makes the argument for an even *larger* party. At this point all the apologies/compensation/embarrassment have been made. The extra three years of wait has increased the excitement and trepidation just that much more. And those extra three years shows that the introduction of a new plane is not a quotidian process, it's a painful, expensive ordeal.

Perhaps they should embrace it. Have a gigantic banner saying "The 787: the best plane that can be built in ̶f̶o̶u̶r̶ seven years!"

ContnlEliteCMH

Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:15 pm

I am glad you are not a teammate of mine. You have a remarkable inability to ignore the humanity of an organization and blithely replace it with a uniform corporate facade. Were I running Boeing, I'd be throwing a party for my teammates despite being (extremely) late. I'd be telling them that despite being late, the product itself is something to be proud of (even as I knew the product has a very hard road to achieve positive ROI).

I've worked on late projects. Heck, I've got one boiling right now! When we are done and our work is delivered, my teammates and I will not celebrate our inabiility to meet our deadline, but we will celebrate the quality of our work and the future value it will bring to our customers.
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

lightsaber

Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:37 pm

Congrats to Boeing.

Quoting scbriml (Reply 13):
This seems like a very long time ago now:
The Official 787 Rollout Thread! (by RootsAir Jul 8 2007 in Civil Aviation)

I'm glad to see the Potemkin Village has become a real city.   

Four years... *(^&%!

But I'm happy to see the 787 in service.

Lightsaber
4 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos