Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tcm

RE: Turkish Aviation September 2011

Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:22 pm

Quoting wing (Reply 99):
I strongly disagree with this.We and our families doesnt have any priority or attention during the check in process.Infact we have right for a free ticket but cant be booked or reserved before hand so we can ride on the plane "only if there is empty seats" on board.We often get bumped out from the flight when a customer comes in.Many times I 've beeen accepted at the very last moment to the airplane(should be at least 30 minutes before in domestic flights but as you know its TGS) had to run through gate with a baby on my hand and and troller on the other and yet my luggege (which we had all my baby needs)wasnt loaded to the plane on time and had to wait until next day.

In my extensive experience over many years flying TK for thousands of miles is that friends/families of TK staff (Especially managerial level) get a better deal than the poor guy that spends thousands of liras in a year on TK metal. Especially when there are irrops, if you know someone or mention names, you will get a fair resolution, if not, the chances are very high you will get very substandard customer service. This is a reality and I hope that TK will become a more customer oriented airline as this is a major weakness of the company.

777way

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:15 pm

Simplified.

Steelyman

Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:27 pm

Quoting ISTGRU (Reply 97):

Have just been doing some research on the Kingfisher 321 - I stand corrected, it is not leased and was never actually delivered to Kingfisher. However it was clearly decked out to Kingfisher requirements, as evidenced by the cabin interior, PTVs and Kingfisher seat buckles. Is this the only Kingfisher ordered 321 that TK picked up?

No, there are 4: JMH/I/J/K

AFAIK they were ordered by IT, but TK took delivery of them as IT cancelled orders. Just to add, the 32R's which are the new TK-owned 321s are much better than IT's 321, regs JRN/O/...

Best,

Mike
BRGDS, Mike

Steelyman

Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:37 pm

Quoting tcm (Reply 98):
Very true, qualification/retention levels are too low. As a result there are far to many Elites. TK is lousy in recognizing status both in the air and on the ground. TK Staff, their families or friends get far more attention than paying customers and this is especially annoying during irrops. LX/LH are better with their SENs or HONs and TK could learn a few tricks in CRM (in the business sense) from them.

As wing posted, I disagree as well. We don't have any kind of attention. It is so clear, first priority: Revenue Passenger.
BRGDS, Mike

ISTGRU

Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:10 pm

Quoting joffie (Reply 73):
Just wondering what their current plans, if any, about expansion to Australia. In 2009, they said they would like to fly into Australia from 2011... which is almost over..

Last I heard was that a codeshare arrangement will be entered into with TG under which TK passengers will connect onto TG's Australia network ex BKK. Seems like a sensible plan to me given the economics of a ULH flight to SYD or MEL or a one stop flight (CGK was mentioned a few years ago, it would be a yield killer). There is no doubt that the demand is there for a TK service to Australia: Turkey is an increasingly popular tourist destination for Australians and the connecting traffic to BEY, TLV, the Balkans and indeed all of Europe would easily fill the seats. Yields would be another issue however given that Australia to Middle East and Europe is a very competitive market.

MNL seems to be the next long haul destination, although no firm start date has been set. Management has said that long haul growth will be slower over the next 12 months.

ISTGRU

Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:28 pm

Quoting ISTGRU (Reply 96):
The flight to BEY was a leased 321 that I have been on before and dont like - its non-standard and really quite crappy. Not sure where it came from but the cabin is old looking and the chairs are uncomfortable. Maybe its the BMI bird, but im not sure.

I have found the reg of the plane I was on - its TC-JMD "Cankiri", ex bmi leased from IFLC. Would be great if some of these more tired interiors got the new look cabins.

777way

Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:08 am

TK should consider extending their Dhaka service to Yangon in the future once DAC goes nonstop with A332.

wing

Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:00 am

Quoting ISTGRU (Reply 105):
have found the reg of the plane I was on - its TC-JMD "Cankiri", ex bmi leased from IFLC. Would be great if some of these more tired interiors got the new look cabins.

TC-JMD and TC-JMC are the black sheeps of the A320 fleet.They are leased and very short time left of their lease agreement.As the new ones(TC-JR- series) comes in they will leave the fleet. (Özellikle JMC için ben de bir deve keseceğim  )) )
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"

tcm

Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:48 am

Quoting wing (Reply 107):
TC-JMD and TC-JMC are the black sheeps of the A320 fleet.They are leased and very short time left of their lease agreement.As the new ones(TC-JR- series) comes in they will leave the fleet. (Özellikle JMC için ben de bir deve keseceğim &nbsp ) )

Let me expand the list.

TC-JNF/TC-JNG A332's ex-Qatar
TC-JKJ to JKO B737-700s ex-Aero Mexico, flew them to MCT, not he best experience....
TC-JIJ and TC-JIK ex-Jamaican A330s, usually flying to Saudi and CMN. I thought they have left already?
TC-JLJ/JLK A320s ex-Volare
TC-JML A321 ex-EasyJet, the seat pitch hurts...

Dear Wing you will need a herd of Camels  

[Edited 2011-09-22 01:53:07]

tcm

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:06 am

TK had decided to resume flights to Tripoli but now it seems that NATO has advised TK not to do so due to security. Flights were planned to Mitiga. A peculiar situation, maybe more political reasons behind this?

HB-IWC

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:48 am

Quoting tcm (Reply 108):
TC-JIJ and TC-JIK ex-Jamaican A330s, usually flying to Saudi and CMN. I thought they have left already?

I presume you meant A340s. These aircraft are indeed confined to the European and Middle Eastern short and medium haul network. Before the arrival of the A333s, they used to be deployed almost uniquely on the JNB and BKK longhauls.

Meanwhile TC-JDM seems to be still stuck in BOM after its Sep 01 incident there, while the delivery of TK's last B77W TC-JJP is imminent. The last Jet AIrways B77W TC-JJD has been withdrawn from the active fleet. It had its last revenue flight with TK on Sept 12 at TK091 ICN IST.

TurkishWings

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:42 am

Quoting tcm (Reply 108):
TC-JNF/TC-JNG A332's ex-Qatar

Recently flew JNG between DXB and IST and it was not a very good experience... Especially compared to the 333 I flew on the way back....When are these birds leaving the fleet?

Quoting tcm (Reply 108):
TC-JML A321 ex-EasyJet, the seat pitch hurts..

Flew this one on a domestic route too... Easyjet logo was brightly displayed on the screen at the entrance... Not very smart  
Coffee - Tea or Me?

cuban8

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:57 am

Quoting Steelyman (Reply 102):
AFAIK they were ordered by IT, but TK took delivery of them as IT cancelled orders. Just to add, the 32R's which are the new TK-owned 321s are much better than IT's 321, regs JRN/O/...

Yes, I flew on TC-JRM a week ago and it was definitely the best Turkish Airlines flight I've had so far. Even though the flight was delayed and I was sitting economy on a boring domestic route, the IFE system made the time fly by!!! 
When business goes to hell, you get rid of three things. Your private jet, your yacht and your mistress..........and most importantly in that order.
~ Russian Billionaire ~

umit

Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:26 am

I will be taking TK 1979 to London monday morning .TK web site shows it is a 330 but anybody has an idea what they usualy fly to London 333 or 332 or whatever is ready and handy that day ?

robcol99

Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:34 am

Quoting umit (Reply 113):
I will be taking TK 1979 to London monday morning .TK web site shows it is a 330 but anybody has an idea what they usualy fly to London 333 or 332 or whatever is ready and handy that day ?

If you mean 26/09, then it's an A333 at the moment.

umit

Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:09 pm

Quoting robcol99 (Reply 114):

thank you .. that was fast

KLM747800THY

Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:29 pm

Hi everyone here on A,net.
After many years of just reading the comments,finally decided to become an active member and be more interactive with the rest of the a.netter's. feel's exciting 
Today I had a flight again from IST to AMS on one of the older A321's. Was seated on 1F and as usual had a great service. The plane was showing it's age but the crew was fantastic since most of the time the crew attitude is the worst part of flying TK, however I know from inside information that the working conditions are very harsh for TK crew's so I can't blame them too much for their grumpy attitude.. In two days will be on a KLM 777-300 flight to Brazil.

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:54 pm

Quoting KLM747800THY (Reply 116):

I was expecting this for a while. Great addition to our a.net community. A warm welcome!

New video from TK;
http://www.airkule.com/default.asp?page=haber&id=10085
An 8 minute "epic" short film about ManU goalkeepers and a kid's dream of becoming ManU's next goalie. Few things I find wrong with this short film but voice over is way too much. You can close your eyes and don't miss a thing. In my industry we call this radio.

For someone being in the film business for years I hoped for TK to have a dedicated channel to present Turkish Arts, Cinema on air. I wouldn't have imagined TK to fund an 8 min ManU short film by mostly UK crews, locations, actors; very very loosely connecting to TK and "Globally Yours", I get it.
Anyone knows if TK sponsors short films and Turkish filmmakers in a similar way?

Many years back I have sent them a proposal to shoot a short film on Nemrut, a short Turkish drama that takes place on the climb to the peak. I suggested that this could be shown before feature films, just like in Film festivals. This would have showed TK to care/support Turkish cinema and I thought passengers would have liked it, good PR for TK.
I was rejected, not a big deal. I still think this is a great idea and TK should support local talent. With a growing percentage of its pax becoming transfer pax, I bet those pax would be interested in what Turkish filmmakers have to offer and watch something local. Something like this: http://vimeo.com/28154065

KLM747800THY

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:32 pm

Thank you for this warm welcome TK787. I have always valued your opinion about the airline industry. Your words motivate me to share my views about this industry in which I am working for more then 17 years. Besides my work I have flown on more then 80 Airlines worldwide which ofcourse doesn't make me an airline expert, but still have a bit of a knowledge which i would like to share with the Airline.net community.
I hope you had a great vacation in Turkey 

tcm

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:03 pm

Quoting TK787 (Reply 117):
Anyone knows if TK sponsors short films and Turkish filmmakers in a similar way?

AnadoluJet was sponsor of a Turkish film earlier this year called "Ask Tesadufleri Sever" directed by Omer Faruk Sorak. A love story set between Istanbul and Ankara.

Link: http://www.gennaration.com.tr/manset...eri-sever-anadolujet-kavusturmayi/ (Turkish)

I also think that supporting short films about Turkey would be a great way to promote both Turkish Culture and increase awareness of TK as a brand. The over reliance on football/soccer is becoming rather dull and simplistic.

KLM747800THY

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:24 pm

I also think that supporting short films about Turkey would be a great way to promote both Turkish Culture and increase awareness of TK as a brand. The over reliance on football/soccer is becoming rather dull and simplistic.

I totally agree with you. I am getting really bored with this all football thing. Turkey has so much cultural richness that needs to be promoted.

tcm

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:32 pm

Quoting KLM747800THY (Reply 116):
Hi everyone here on A,net.

BTW, Welcome to A.net!

Great to see new members participating in this thread about Turkish Aviation. Hope we won't scare you away  

KLM747800THY

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:45 pm

Thank you tcm 
No i won't be scared away that easily since I lived in Turkey, so i kind of know the Turkish way 

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:06 am

Quoting tcm (Reply 119):
AnadoluJet was sponsor of a Turkish film earlier this year called "Ask Tesadufleri Sever" directed by Omer Faruk Sorak.

Awesome, who wouldn't like a romantic comedy on a flight? My last DL73 flight, Woody Allen's "Midnight in Paris" was very inspiring.

ASA

Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:31 am

Quick question before booking a JFK-IST-DAC itinerary ... as far as I knew, the Comfort Class (Premium Economy) seats are only available on the 77Ws ? So if I purchased the Comfort ticket for all the way ... which class do I get for the IST-DAC sector (it's either the A343 or the A333)? Thanks,

ISTGRU

Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:34 am

Quoting ASA (Reply 124):
Quick question before booking a JFK-IST-DAC itinerary ... as far as I knew, the Comfort Class (Premium Economy) seats are only available on the 77Ws ? So if I purchased the Comfort ticket for all the way ... which class do I get for the IST-DAC sector (it's either the A343 or the A333)?

IST - DAC will be in economy. Fortunatley the TK booking system now offers the "mixed fares" needed for booking tickets where only some of the sectors offer comfort class. I flew to SVO - IST - GRU in May and the online booking system would come up with an error messager if I selected comfort class, clearly because there is no comfort class on SVO - IST. I ended up booking through the ticket through my travel agent (im a big fan of travel agents, it may cost a birt more but my lady can make the booking and generally TK doesnt demand payment until a few days before departure). However the whole "mixed fare" issue was fixed a few months ago and i'm sure comfort will become more and more popular as awareness grows, its a great product. Preminum economy products are now a huge hit in Australia, partly due to very high awareness in the market.

TK773ER

Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:35 am

G'day to everyone here i found this article about TK's growth strategy http://www.airnewstimes.co.uk/turkis...success-or-failure-12429-news.html With the current economic situation that is going on around the world even here if it wasn't for China buying all the iron ore Australia would be in a recession too ? Qantas has seen a huge decrease on the Kangaroo route with the likes of EK EY QR SQ TG MH CX and so on jumping on board and as mentioned above i think it would be a wise idea if TK codeshared to MEL and SYD with TG thru BKK as to TK stating coming to SYD in 2011 ? 2011 is almost over just like TK's idea of flying downunder maybe 2012 ?

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:32 pm

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-IN...ernet-services-on-its-flights.aspx
LiveTV on TK 77W/333 fleet over the Atlantic? Cool.

tcm

Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:56 pm

Quoting TK787 (Reply 127):

Finally we will see the full capabilities of the Panasonic IFE system on TK's new birds that were first announced with the delivery of "Topkapi". In this announcement they mention that the system will be introduced to the A330-200s. I guess they were referring to the new A330-300s as the A332s have a completely other system and do not have TK's new "Planet" IFE software.

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:17 pm

Quoting KLM747800THY (Reply 118):
I hope you had a great vacation in Turkey

Thanks, the best ever, really!

Some highlights;
-A great dinner with friends in AMS
-Friends, family, food, sun, Efes
-Sailing with friends
-Road trip, more than 3000km, always interesting.
-3 Kunefes in one day
-Adana kebap in Adana
-Discovering "Mistik Usta" a rest area restaurant 18km west of Ceyhan
-A day in Meis
-Two portions of "etli yaprak sarmasi" in Kas. 4 sarmas a spoon, followed by manti.
-While taking pictures in Antakya streets, meeting local painter Alaaddin Surmeli and being invited to his home for tea and meeting his whole family. Interesting story; he paints icons for churches all over, including the Vatican.
http://www.kenthaber.com/akdeniz/hat...46ce6f-22e6-4f06-8bca-46a7e345f94d
-Anamur castle, Antakya mosaics museum, Xanthos, Istanbul Modern

best ever!

ASA

Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:01 pm

Quoting ISTGRU (Reply 125):
IST - DAC will be in economy. Fortunatley the TK booking system now offers the "mixed fares" needed for booking tickets where only some of the sectors offer comfort class. I flew to SVO - IST - GRU in May and the online booking system would come up with an error messager if I selected comfort class, clearly because there is no comfort class on SVO - IST. I ended up booking through the ticket through my travel agent (im a big fan of travel agents, it may cost a birt more but my lady can make the booking and generally TK doesnt demand payment until a few days before departure). However the whole "mixed fare" issue was fixed a few months ago and i'm sure comfort will become more and more popular as awareness grows, its a great product. Preminum economy products are now a huge hit in Australia, partly due to very high awareness in the market.

Thanks for the clarification, ISTGRU! Let's hope the product is worth it! 

tk1244

Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:42 pm

TC-JDM is back in IST:
http://www.airporthaber.com/thy-ucag...indistan-esareti-bitti-35194h.html

TC-IZL lost a part of its engine cowling while enroute to ADB, the aircraft safely landed in ADB:
http://www.airporthaber.com/izair-uc...nin-motor-kapagi-koptu-35190h.html

[Edited 2011-09-23 11:45:19]
"The future is in the skies. For any nation that cannot defend its skies will never be confident of its future." Atatürk

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:57 pm

Looks like in couple of hours 12th and the last TK 77W will be on its delivery flight;
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/THY6900

debonair

Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:31 am

Sorry, if posted...

Rumors around, that ATLAS will take delivery soon of 2 A321 ex Hellenic Imperial Greece (ntu). Is the end of the B757 near?

BTW. any idea what those A330 will do during winter-Hajj, longhaul charter?!

TK773ER

Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:58 am

I was just looking at the A330 production list http://www.planespotters.net/Production_List/Airbus/A330/index.php?p=9 and i can't seem to see the last three remaining A333 for TK will they receive them by end of 2011 ?

tk1244

Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:17 am

Quoting TK773ER (Reply 134):
I was just looking at the A330 production list http://www.planespotters.net/Product...p?p=9

Also noted the A330 for the Turkish government (TC-TUR). According to the website, the aircraft had its first flight on 11 July. (TC-TUR)

Also the first picture of the aircraft in all-white:
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Untit...Turkey--/Airbus-A330-243/1976283/L

Anyone knows when it will be delivered? And will it get the same livery as TC-ANA?

[Edited 2011-09-25 03:18:14]
"The future is in the skies. For any nation that cannot defend its skies will never be confident of its future." Atatürk

leftyboarder

Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:59 am

Since none of the TK birds with the old livery (except TC-JFU of course) have been repainted, is it safe to say that TK is in no hurry to introduce the new livery fleetwide? I mean, didn't they get a chance to repaint even one bird? 340's, I understand, but 332's, 738's, older 320's and 321's... All with the old livery still!

tk1244

Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:08 am

Quoting leftyboarder (Reply 136):

Maybe they want to upgrade the interior also, explaining the delay in repainting the aircraft?

leftyboarder

Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:48 pm

Quoting TK1244 (Reply 137):
Maybe they want to upgrade the interior also, explaining the delay in repainting the aircraft?

That's what I was thinking (or hoping). Let's wait and see.

Airporthaber shows last TK 77W - nice touch with the logo under the fuselage.

http://www.airporthaber.com/thy-tarihinde-bir-ilk-35254h.html

tcm

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:50 pm

Quoting leftyboarder (Reply 138):
That's what I was thinking (or hoping). Let's wait and see.

Certainly would be nice. However, I doubt it would make much commercial sense. Especially refurbishing the cabin of the A340s or the A332s. The Y cabin on both types have already IFE and foot rests etc. The J cabin on both types have also a decent product (excluding the leased a/c). The general condition of the interiors is also quite good even though they have been in use for many years now.

The most tired interiors I have seen are on some narrow bodies.

I fear the lack of application of the new livery to the wider fleet is due to the ignorance of the importance of brand management. In some outstations, like CPH, the check-in counters still use non-standard TK logo signs that remind me of an airline that is stuck in the 80s.

tcm

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:58 pm

Quoting leftyboarder (Reply 138):
Airporthaber shows last TK 77W - nice touch with the logo under the fuselage.

Looks really nice. Would look even better on the belly of a A380  

[Edited 2011-09-26 11:59:09]

tk1244

Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:26 pm

Quoting tcm (Reply 139):
Especially refurbishing the cabin of the A340s or the A332s.

I was actually thinking about the older 737 and A320s. The A332s are still relative young and the future of A340s isn't sure.

OA260

Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:29 pm

Quoting TK787 (Reply 127):

Thats a great service I wonder how long it will take to get all the 77W's done. Are we talking months or longer?

ASA

Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:51 pm

Quoting tk1244 (Reply 141):
I was actually thinking about the older 737 and A320s. The A332s are still relative young and the future of A340s isn't sure.

The average age of the A332/A333s are 4~5 years ... compared to about 12~13 for the A343s. I am guessing the interiors of the newer ones are substantially better ... along with IFEs and overall cleanliness.

While booking a JFK-IST-DAC itinerary, I found out that even in the same week TK shuffles three types of aircrafts ... A333, A332 and A343. Does the passenger counts vary so much on a day-to-day basis - or is it due to availability of aircrafts?

In addition, there are two layover options at IST ... one around 9 hours and the other one is 15 hours!!! I am actually very happy to take the longer break because I love to stroll around in Istanbul, but for an uninterested traveller, who is just going from point A to point B via IST ... this could be deal-breaker.

How are the visa on arrival options at IST? Do I even need one if I am flying out the same night? All ideas would be appreciated, thanks!  

Lufthansa747

Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:28 am

Quoting wing (Reply 107):
TC-JMD and TC-JMC are the black sheeps of the A320 fleet.

Is JMF still there? Ex Virgin Sun and the interior was awful.

Quoting ASA (Reply 143):
this could be deal-breaker.

7+ hours gets a free hotel in J and 10+ hours free hotel in Y, including transfers.
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

wing

Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:05 am

Quoting Lufthansa747 (Reply 144):
Is JMF still there? Ex Virgin Sun and the interior was awful.

Its out of the fleet,THY logos and name is erased infront of maintenance hangars undergoing delivery checks.
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"

tcm

Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:30 pm

According to the TK website, TK offering flights to SYD by codesharing with OZ.

Turkish350XWB

Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:12 pm

http://www.beyazgazete.com/video/201...ava-trafigi-rekor-kirdi-tvnet.html

In this article they tell that IST handled 135,000 passengers on 4th of september. If we assume the same passenger traffic on every single day of a year this would sum up to 49 million passengers/year...

TK773ER

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:11 am

Quoting tcm (Reply 146):

I thought TK would've code shared with TG through BKK to SYD isn't that a shorter better route or option ?

tcm

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:29 am

Quoting TK773ER (Reply 148):

Quoting tcm (Reply 146):

I thought TK would've code shared with TG through BKK to SYD isn't that a shorter better route or option ?

That was the original plan. However it now seems that TK has opted for codesharing with OZ for SYD. AFAIK, flying over ICN is slightly longer. I must say though I am a bing fan of OZ as an airline and ICN as a hub. I personally would prefer OZ/ICN over TG/BKK if the schedules are right.