Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kingcavalier

RE: Chautauqua Parking All F9 ERJ's?

Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:11 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 149):
There is far more overlap between WN and UA at DEN.WN serves 49% of F9's DEN markets non-stop (32 of 65). They only serve 35% of UA's (43 of 121). That's the way DOT calculates overlap. ASM overlap would be even moreso.

All true but the majority of F9's markets are relatively large with 99+ seat mainline aircraft. UA flies to a lot of small markets on 50-67 seat regional jets with ExpressJet and SkyWest. I would say 2/3 of UA's markets from DEN are served with regional jets. History shows that's not a winning formula. Heck, UA is flying 50-seat regional jets from DEN to BNA aganist WN 737's and F9 A319's.

[Edited 2011-09-14 11:15:30]
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness

enilria

Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:14 pm

Quoting kingcavalier (Reply 150):
There is far more overlap between WN and UA at DEN.WN serves 49% of F9's DEN markets non-stop (32 of 65). They only serve 35% of UA's (43 of 121). That's the way DOT calculates overlap. ASM overlap would be even moreso.

All true but the majority of F9's markets are relatively large with 99+ seat mainline aircraft. UA flies to a lot of small markets on 50-67 seat regional jets with ExpressJet and SkyWest. I would say 2/3 of UA's markets from DEN are served with regional jets. History shows that's not a winning formula.

I'm not attempting to represent UA as doing better or worse than F9 or WN. The point was simply posed that WN overlaps UA more than F9. That's not really true by any normal standard.

kingcavalier

Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:17 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 151):
I'm not attempting to represent UA as doing better or worse than F9 or WN. The point was simply posed that WN overlaps UA more than F9. That's not really true by any normal standard.

I know but you did say UA isn't WN's target, F9 was. UA is much stronger now with CO, but they need to sort out DEN.

enilria

Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:22 pm

Quoting kingcavalier (Reply 152):
I know but you did say UA isn't WN's target, F9 was. UA is much stronger now with CO, but they need to sort out DEN.

I've always thought that. As I said, I think it is fairly clear that WN has been chasing the other LCCs since the PHL debacle. I don't think WN ever thought they could uproot UA from DEN. Why would they? F9 is a much easier play. FL was the easier play in ATL. They won't uproot DL. It all makes logical sense and follows a pattern. BTW, trivia: UA only overlaps F9 80% in DEN on routes (52/65). I was kind of surprised. It's all the subsidy chasing causing it to be that low.

kingcavalier

Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:27 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 153):
BTW, trivia: UA only overlaps F9 80% in DEN on routes (52/65). I was kind of surprised. It's all the subsidy chasing causing it to be that low.

Maybe it's just me but that doesn't seem low. 80% overlap is high. I am actually surprised it is that high. UA serves a lot of smaller markets via the regional carriers from DEN like MFD, RKS & GJT. F9 doesn't have small RJ's based in DEN and I think that speaks volumes of DEN's hub performance over MKE's.

apodino
Topic Author

Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:31 pm

Here is an odd question. Are there any existing DEN routes that F9 flies that UA is currently flying with Shuttle America E-170's? If so...how in the heck does BB balance the obvious conflict of interest?

kingcavalier

Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:36 pm

Quoting apodino (Reply 155):
Here is an odd question. Are there any existing DEN routes that F9 flies that UA is currently flying with Shuttle America E-170's? If so...how in the heck does BB balance the obvious conflict of interest?

I know Shuttle America flies DEN-ATL for UA. I just took it. I guess there is no legal conflict because Shuttle isn't flying for F9. Republic Airlines is. However, I don't believe there are that many Shuttle America flights for UA in DEN.

mariner

Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:38 pm

If so...how in the heck does BB balance the obvious conflict of interest?

I don't see a conflict of interest. United is going employ some airline to fly the routes, the competition would still be there.

Better that money goes to Republic.

mariner
aeternum nauta

enilria

Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:44 pm

Quoting kingcavalier (Reply 154):
Maybe it's just me but that doesn't seem low. 80% overlap is high. I am actually surprised it is that high. UA serves a lot of smaller markets via the regional carriers from DEN like MFD, RKS & GJT.

Well, yes 80% is a large number, but UA had the hub first. I think DL had a virtual 100% overlap with FL in ATL.

BTW, the calculation is purely what % of F9's markets are served by UA, so if UA flies to Waterloo or Enid there is no effect on the %.

Quoting kingcavalier (Reply 156):
I know Shuttle America flies DEN-ATL for UA. I just took it. I guess there is no legal conflict because Shuttle isn't flying for F9. Republic Airlines is. However, I don't believe there are that many Shuttle America flights for UA in DEN.
Quoting kingcavalier (Reply 156):
I don't see a conflict of interest. United is going employ some airline to fly the routes, the competition would still be there.
Here is an odd question.

It's not a conflict of interest in a legal sense, but it is a conflict of interest financially to be competing with your own operations. It's more a question of why UA and DL do it than why BB takes their money. RJET flies against RJET on MCI-LAX under DL colors don't they?

mikefrommke

Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:11 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 158):
RJET flies against RJET on MCI-LAX under DL colors don't they?

I'm pretty sure that flight is handled by compass. But the point is RJET competing against RJET means RJET makes money either way. Its not like if RJET wasn't there that the route wouldn't be flown, it would just be flown by someone else.

mariner

Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:12 pm

Quoting kingcavalier (Reply 148):
Coincidence had nothing to do with it but where else was WN supposed to add service from DEN except to the large markets, cities that were already in their network. There was a reason UA and F9 flew DEN to LAS. Was WN not supposed to add LAS when it reentered DEN?

What is so often forgotten here - or not mentioned - is that Frontier was not a picture of financial health before Southwest came to DEN. However unsuccessful Ted eventually was, that "airline" sure made life difficult for Frontier.

I don't think Southwest particularly aimed at Frontier, I doubt Southwest thought it was worth the effort, and the way Southwest has approached ATL would seem to bear that out.

Nor can it all be blamed on others - Frontier had made its own mistakes. There are external reasons (the actions of others) why Frontier filed Chapter 11, but there are internal reasons as well.

The question has to be asked - what is Frontier's place in this ultra competitive environment with high fuel prices - and does Frontier even have a place?

Like BB, I believe the answer is yes, but perhaps not in the elitist terms being used here, with the apparent insistence that the model must be "airline pure" - see the negativity towards subsidy, which Airtran did for years and to which Allegiant is no stranger. See also contract flying for Apple Vacations - PIT is still all Airtran, as is MKE.

The answer may be that Frontier needs a different model, which seems (to me) to be precisely why it is restructuring.

mariner

[Edited 2011-09-14 12:42:05]
aeternum nauta

ScottB

Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:10 pm

WN serves 49% of F9's DEN markets non-stop (32 of 65). They only serve 35% of UA's (43 of 121). That's the way DOT calculates overlap. ASM overlap would be even moreso.

DOT may compute overlap that way, but many of UA's domestic non-stop markets from DEN have minuscule O&D traffic. Of the top 50 O&D markets from DEN, only five lack non-stop WN service. The largest is DFW (and DAL will be served in 2014), while the next-largest is ATL, which will be see WN non-stops early next year. The next two are CLT and MIA (#42 & #47 respectively), both of which WN does not serve. That leaves #50, CLE, which WN does serve.

Far more of WN's non-stop routes from DEN compete with UA/UA* than with F9.

The other way to look at it is from the perspective of which incumbent hub carrier was likely to fight for DEN. Frontier lives and dies by DEN, so they'd end up fighting tooth-and-nail for DEN, since it is a battle for survival for them. For United, on the other hand, the company's strategy has been to remove capacity from the domestic market and place a greater emphasis on international flying with little or no low-cost competition. As DEN is > 95% domestic traffic, they would be less likely to tolerate ongoing losses at DEN -- and they have no international service there to help shore up the hub, as US Airways did at PHL. United does have some niche nigh-yield domestic markets offered from DEN in the Mountain West, but they are also costly to serve. I think the ongoing reductions in UA service at DEN point to United "right-sizing" the hub; the only problem with "right-sizing" hubs is that the "right size" almost always ends up being "spoke size."

enilria

Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:14 pm

Quoting mikefrommke (Reply 159):
But the point is RJET competing against RJET means RJET makes money either way. Its not like if RJET wasn't there that the route wouldn't be flown, it would just be flown by someone else.
Quoting enilria (Reply 158):
It's more a question of why UA and DL do it than why BB takes their money.

As I said I agree, but DL/UA shouldn't be allowing it as they are funding the competition to a large extent.

Even with WN's shared routes from DEN, F9 still (will) serves 36 airports from DEN that WN does not.

But here is my key point. Of those 36 airports, only 3 are WN station. LIT, LGA, and SDF. F9 just announced LIT, but I have no doubt it will be added by WN. WN doesn't have enough slots to do LGA, but I guarantee you it is coming after the slot auction and SDF is the only one without explanation.

Sure, LAS is easy to explain, but were GEG, IND, MSY, and TUS really critical to WN at DEN?

Quoting mariner (Reply 160):
The question has to be asked - what is Frontier's place in this ultra competitive environment with high fuel prices - and does Frontier even have a place?
The answer may be that Frontier needs a different model

F9 should pursue the NK/Ryan Air model (which is a cousin of the G4 model), but the trouble is that it won't work in DEN. They need to be at an alternate airport near a major city. Something akin to SFB or LGB. Maybe it is Gary or Teterboro or Ft. Worth, but they need somewhere they can "own" and offer a ULCC product. That's the biggest open opportunity in U.S. aviation.

see the negativity towards subsidy, which Airtran did for years and to which Allegiant is no stranger.

Allegiant is minimally focused on incentives, they care about long-term airport operating costs. They will say those exact words if asked and it's true, not a lie.

n7371f

Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:26 pm

Quoting mikefrommke (Reply 133):

6 will be coming online through next year. Nothing has been stated about the remaining 18 from the LOI.

I'm not sure they have the money/financing for the remaining 18.

oswegobag

Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:33 pm

Quoting jamake1 (Reply 142):
From all that I have read with regard to the current situation at F9 and RAH, it seems that from my vantage point of casual observer that WN really went on the offensive against F9...both in DEN and MKE...following WN's unsuccessful bid. With WN having come away from the failed deal fully armed with F9's proprietary information (from having viewed their books during F9's restructuring) to take full advantage of that carrier's more vulnerable state, do you suppose this was WN's intent?

If this is the case, I am sure there will be a significant lawsuit in the future. Repulic Airways will be around 1 way or another (not like Aloha which this is reminiscing).

mariner

Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:38 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 162):
F9 should pursue the NK/Ryan Air model (which is a cousin of the G4 model), but the trouble is that it won't work in DEN.

Since you have directly quoted me, I'll say that the debate about "somewhere else" has been around since I first started following the airline, twelve years ago.

I have no evidence that what you suggest would work and I imagine that any move from DEN (which won't happen) would be met with cries of "woe is Frontier!"

Allegiant is minimally focused on incentives, they care about long-term airport operating costs.

It really doesn't matter what i say does it?

Allegiant may be "minimally focussed" but in its time it has taken a number of them, even if it is only help with advertising, as at LAN. It cancelled BTR-LAS (as in didn't even start) despite having accepted the offer of help.

mariner

[Edited 2011-09-14 13:51:24]
aeternum nauta

bjorn14

Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:57 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 144):
they entered IAD to prevent the other LCCs from getting a beachhead post-FLYi, and more recently they have entered

What? with 4x daily to MDW and only recently added DEN. I think other airlines were more afraid of UA

WN serves 49% of F9's DEN markets non-stop (32 of 65). They only serve 35% of UA's (43 of 121). That's the way DOT calculates overlap. ASM overlap would be even moreso.

The problem with those 32 is that they could be F9's top money makin' routes.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

enilria

Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:53 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 165):
I have no evidence that what you suggest would work

Other than those airlines being the most consistently profitable and highest cumulative margin airlines. Other than that, no.

I imagine that any move from DEN (which won't happen) would be met with cries of "woe is Frontier!"

Yes, it would mean they had been beaten, but the point is that the ULCC model (or any model for that matter) won't work in a 3 hub airport.

Allegiant is minimally focused on incentives, they care about long-term airport operating costs.

It really doesn't matter what i say does it?

I just happened to know that isn't true. Talk to an airport that has negotiated with them. They are uniquely long term focused...to their credit. They will take an incentive, but just ask an airport which is their priority...or ask them. They want long-term low rates. The attitude of most of the other airlines is that as long as the playing field of rates is level (except for them during the incentive) they don't care about what the rates are unless they are ridiculously high.
Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 166):
What? with 4x daily to MDW and only recently added DEN. I think other airlines were more afraid of UA

Hi. Might want to consult some sort of data before tossing that out. They entered with:
2X TPA
7X MDW
2X MCO
1X LAS
Those were all places LCCs would typically go.

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 166):
The problem with those 32 is that they could be F9's top money makin' routes.

Sure could (didn't say they weren't), although they are mostly subsidy routes + Mexico.

mariner

Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:03 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 167):
They will take an incentive, but just ask an airport which is their priority...or ask them.

"They will take an incentive."

That is all I claimed. Anything beyond that is an extrapolation beyond what I said and implies that Frontier, say, has no long term objective. You may believe that, I don't know it.

mariner
aeternum nauta

kingcavalier

Sure could (didn't say they weren't), although they are mostly subsidy routes + Mexico.

Which of these 36 non-WN DEN routes are subsidized?

ANC
ASE
BIL
BKG
BZN
CAK
COS
CUN
CZM
DAY
DFW
DRO
DSM
FAI
FSD
GRB
GRR
HDN
ICT
JAC
LIR
LIT
MSN
MZT
PHF
PSP
PVR
PVU
RFD
RSW
SBA
SDF
SJD
SJO
TYS
ZIH

kingcavalier

Sure could (didn't say they weren't), although they are mostly subsidy routes Mexico.

ANC
ASE
BIL
BKG
BZN
CAK
COS
CUN
CZM
DAY
DFW
DRO
DSM
FAI
FSD
GRB
GRR
HDN
ICT
JAC
LIR
LIT
MSN
MZT
PHF
PSP
PVR
PVU
RFD
RSW
SBA
SDF
SJD
SJO
TYS
ZIH

smoot4208

Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:10 am

Quoting n917me (Reply 130):
Yep.. You are correct, IWD, RHI & MBL are closing.

So these routes are suppose to end on March 8, 2012. If no one else bids on those routes, is F9 required to complete its 2 year contract, or can they just end them on 3/8/12?

cbphoto

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:24 am

Quoting n917me (Reply 130):
Yep.. You are correct, IWD, IMT & MBL are closing.

There are strong talks of ZK jumping into the MSP market to take over Delta (XJ) flying to EAS cities in MN and IA! Might add incentive to at least bid for IWD and IMT to MSP now that F9 is exiting this market! Guess only time will tell!
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

enilria

Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:32 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 161):
Far more of WN's non-stop routes from DEN compete with UA/UA* than with F9.

UA is bigger and flies to more places, so of course that means that WN will have more routes than UA also flies, but from a % perspective it also means the overlap is smaller. The DOT method is the only official way of calculating overlap. Any method will be somehow flawed.

ScottB

Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:45 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 173):
The DOT method is the only official way of calculating overlap. Any method will be somehow flawed.

The DOT method does have serious flaws, since the ratio doesn't take into account the relative importance of markets. The combined number of O&D passengers in all DEN markets ranked from #101 to #200 is smaller than the number of O&D passengers in the #1 DEN market -- PHX.

Quoting smoot4208 (Reply 171):
So these routes are suppose to end on March 8, 2012. If no one else bids on those routes, is F9 required to complete its 2 year contract, or can they just end them on 3/8/12?

IIRC, DOT can force RP to continue the service if it cannot find a replacement, although they may be required to pay a higher subsidy rate to ensure a break-even result for the operator.

Quoting cbphoto (Reply 172):
There are strong talks of ZK jumping into the MSP market to take over Delta (XJ) flying to EAS cities in MN and IA! Might add incentive to at least bid for IWD and IMT to MSP now that F9 is exiting this market! Guess only time will tell!

That's assuming Raytheon doesn't force ZK to shut down by pulling the B1900 fleet.

mariner

Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:58 pm

Quoting kingcavalier (Reply 169):

I would think at least some of them are getting some "help." We know that DSM provided a revenue guarantee and that seems to have worked quite well, not to mention BKG, PHF (and PVU).

A number of airports provide first year only help and even the Mexican airports do hotel deals. LIR is "in conjunction" with Apple Vacations, and, somewhat less so, a couple of the other Mexican routes.

Virgin American is getting a big bunch of "help" at DFW, but it pales into insignificance with the "help" Qantas is getting at the same airport - more than $3 million.

Then there's the "help" that PIE gave Allegiant (more than ($1 million), at least in the first instance, and the big bunch of money ($1.5 million) that Airtran got from TLH before ending the routes.

mariner

[Edited 2011-09-15 13:13:48]
aeternum nauta

enilria

Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:06 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 174):
Quoting enilria (Reply 173):
The DOT method is the only official way of calculating overlap. Any method will be somehow flawed.

The DOT method does have serious flaws, since the ratio doesn't take into account the relative importance of markets. The combined number of O&D passengers in all DEN markets ranked from #101 to #200 is smaller than the number of O&D passengers in the #1 DEN market -- PHX.

I didn't mean the DOT way isn't flawed. Actually, I think relative, weighted O&D overlap is the best measure using both connecting and non-stop O&Ds, but I don't work at the DOT. That method wouldn't be terribly useful in this case, however. To bring this all back to where it started, however, there were several markets like GEG and TUS that were added fairly early by WN that seemed to make it abundantly clear to me that they were chasing F9.

toltommy

Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:27 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 43):
CLE is a market that bums me out. Why not fly DEN to CLE? I think CLE has tons of potential.

Aside from the UA hub on each end?

Quoting cbphoto (Reply 172):
Might add incentive to at least bid for IWD and IMT to MSP now that F9 is exiting this market!

F9 doesn't fly to IMT. DL is the only carrier in the market.

Curious about the whole RHI issue. IWD is EAS, RHI isn't but somehow the feds gave F9 permission to mix the two and receive the EAS subsidy. Could F9 drop RHI without dropping IWD until a replacement is in place? RHI just lost DL, now to lose the only remaining carrier.... ouch....
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333 / 707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753
/762/763/764/772/788/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440 /700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos