Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

canadianpylon
Topic Author

Pictures From Passenger Trials At Winnipeg Airport

Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:55 am

Good afternoon!

I had the pleasure of being part of Passenger trials of the new Terminal at Winnipeg International Airport, and was able to snap a lot of pictures from the new terminal.

I've posted them to photobucket, if you would like to see them!

Passenger Trials at new Terminal in Winnipeg - Slideshow

Most of the photos are from the new terminal, with a few from around the airport.

Enjoy!
Always looking for the longest route with the most transfers.

canadianpylon
Topic Author

RE: Pictures From Passenger Trials At Winnipeg Airport

Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:23 am

For easier viewing, I've created a youtube video with the pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfxeJ9ZRRlk

Thanks!

CanadianPylon

JoeCanuck

Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:24 am

Looks good...nice and roomy and looks like more room available for future expansion.

Thanks for the look.
What the...?

ACDC8

Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:43 am

I really dig the skylights in the arrival hall ... just not sure about the flooring though ... would be nicer if they used a lighter colour IMHO but great photos, I enjoyed the slideshow.

PS - you forgot the Lizard in "Rock - Paper - Scissors - Lizard - Spock" 
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

mainMAN

Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:39 am

Thanks for those......very nice new terminal.

It led me to google Winnipeg and its airport. Seems there are no direct UK or Europe flights, with the exception of FI's seasonal service to KEF. I'm pretty sure I remember Wardair flying from Manchester and London to Winnipeg, many many moons ago.

connies4ever

Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:25 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 3):
I really dig the skylights in the arrival hall ... just not sure about the flooring though ... would be nicer if they used a lighter colour IMHO but great photos, I enjoyed the slideshow.

Dark flooring probably won't show dirt as readily as light.

Quoting mainMAN (Reply 4):
It led me to google Winnipeg and its airport. Seems there are no direct UK or Europe flights, with the exception of FI's seasonal service to KEF. I'm pretty sure I remember Wardair flying from Manchester and London to Winnipeg, many many moons ago.

AC used to do YWG-PIK, YWG-LHR, and YWG-CPH back in the day. During summer, the LHR service sometimes went to 5x weekly. Dad worked in AC mx so I was able to use YWG-LHR & v..v. when going to grad school in London 1973-75. Actually, in the Super Constellation days it was YWG-YQX-LHR (YQX being Gander).

Rationalisation' of the Western Canada - Europe service led to all YWG-originating pax being routed through YYZ. As well, not enough J-class pax -- this may be different now.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Viscount724

Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:03 pm

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 5):

AC used to do YWG-PIK, YWG-LHR, and YWG-CPH back in the day. During summer, the LHR service sometimes went to 5x weekly. Dad worked in AC mx so I was able to use YWG-LHR & v..v. when going to grad school in London 1973-75. Actually, in the Super Constellation days it was YWG-YQX-LHR (YQX being Gander).

Rationalisation' of the Western Canada - Europe service led to all YWG-originating pax being routed through YYZ. As well, not enough J-class pax -- this may be different now.

CP also operated YWG-AMS nonstop for a couple of years in the 1980s. I remember flying on a CP 747-200 YVR-YWG-AMS during that period. The YWG stop was only once a week if memory correct. I also remember an AC DC-8-63 flight YVR-YWG-LHR in the mid-1970s. Again, I think the YWG stop was only about once a week.

canadianpylon
Topic Author

Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:25 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 3):
PS - you forgot the Lizard in "Rock - Paper - Scissors - Lizard - Spock"

I knew I forgot one, but I just couldn't remember the fifth... But Spock trumps all! I'll go update the photo. Thanks!

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 3):
I really dig the skylights in the arrival hall ...

They are stunning. They are a focal point of the whole terminal.

It led me to google Winnipeg and its airport. Seems there are no direct UK or Europe flights, with the exception of FI's seasonal service to KEF. I'm pretty sure I remember Wardair flying from Manchester and London to Winnipeg, many many moons ago

You're right... The last last direct service to UK was a Zoom airlines flight to LGW about 5 years ago. They ended in 2008 when Zoom folded.

Some of my other thoughts about the new terminal...

1) You can see right through the terminal when you are checking in, so you can potentially see your plane from the check-in.
2) It looks a lot like Toronto Terminal 1, but with more wood tones and colour.
3) There aren't a lot of seats at the gate area.
4) It has an open and airy feeling like the new Edmonton Terminal
5) They have A LOT of work to do before it'll be ready for October 30th! Apparently, they are working 24x7 trying to get it all done.
6) At the passenger trials, it was nice to see Barry Rempel, CEO of Winnipeg Airports Authority, walking around with us, talking with the people in the trial, and being engaged in the process.

qblue

Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:51 pm

Is this project on time and on budget. Looks nice, now just need CP AIr and Wardair to come back. Does YWG still get widebodys for winter charters to sun destination. They use to get AC 747 and 2 Wardair 747-DC10 a week to Hawaii. Also NW occasional DC10 in winter.

Noise

Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:26 pm

New airport terminal, new hockey team...good job Winnipeg!

Gr8Circle

Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:06 pm

Nice looking terminal......hope I can travel thru it sometime......does look a it like YYZ T3......like the airy, spacious feeling and the natural light flooding in......how are they views for spotters...? Especially, if you're a passenger....?

lnglive1011yyz

Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:41 pm

Does anyone know if the architect is the same one who designed Pearson's T1 new?

The arrivals hall is eerily similar!

I like it. It seems very well thought out and nicely designed. Earthy tones and such really are inviting.

Thanks for sharing!

Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

BatBowlField

Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:44 pm

Yeah, the new terminal looks pretty nice both from inside and outside. Sure beats the current one. Hopefully it'll have an observation deck just like the old one. I just love settling down at that place while waiting for my flight. Some Timmies at the side...some bagels to munch along....good stuff!

mainMAN

Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Just goes to show how the demographics have changed, with such decreasing VFR demand between the UK and Canada.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 6):
CP also operated YWG-AMS nonstop for a couple of years in the 1980s. I remember flying on a CP 747-200 YVR-YWG-AMS during that period.

Of course, the old CP and AMS combo!

Quoting canadianpylon (Reply 7):
You're right... The last last direct service to UK was a Zoom airlines flight to LGW about 5 years ago. They ended in 2008 when Zoom folded.

Winnipeg is therefore the only major Canadian city without a LHR/CDG/AMS link. Hopefully with this new terminal, the powers that be might have better luck lobbying for one.

I remember as a very young child seeing Winnipeg on the departure board, and thinking how very foreign and exotic it sounded  

ACDC8

Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:05 pm

Dark flooring probably won't show dirt as readily as light.

That could very well be, but the brown carpeting looks dirty already. I just love the skylights, with the neon lighting in it but it just doesn't seem to fit with the brown carpeting IMHO. A nice white, glossy marble flooring with dark speckles in it would suit the skylights much better ... give it a bit more of a contemporary look. I'm not complaining about the design they went with, just an observation  
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

cosmofly

Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:48 pm

This is a very international looking airport.   

I firstly flew into Winnipeg 30 years ago and I hope this airport will attract more visitors to Winnipeg. Winnipeg is a nice place to relax in the summer and it is good fishing along the Red river.

Aeolus

Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:10 pm

It's similar to YUL's terminal!! Actually, the same!!! Who designed it!?

-Aeolus
Flying under the clouds above!

YWG

Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:17 pm

It's nice to see YWG upgrading the level of service provided. No longer will it be an embarrassment to hold my username. I'm pretty sure the downtown bus terminal in Winnipeg would give the old YWG terminal a run for its money. Lots of history and good times though. I haven't been inside yet but have taxied by countless times. I have to say it looks AWESOME!

Quoting lnglive1011yyz (Reply 11):
Does anyone know if the architect is the same one who designed Pearson's T1 new?

I forgot where I heard, but I'm pretty sure it's the same guy.

Quoting mainMAN (Reply 13):
Winnipeg is therefore the only major Canadian city without a LHR/CDG/AMS link. Hopefully with this new terminal, the powers that be might have better luck lobbying for one.

I wouldn't be shocked by a AC 767 doing LHR service. The thing is AC has such an great set up already connecting through YYZ/YUL/YOW.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 14):
That could very well be, but the brown carpeting looks dirty already

Thinking ahead my good friend. Have you ever been in Winnipeg in the spring/fall with all the slush on the ground. Floors get dirty really fast!
Contact Winnipeg center now on 134.4, good day.

auroralives

Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:19 pm

and... and... by the looks of it... glass jetways !!   

I can't wait to visit my hometown again  

aircanada014

Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:00 pm

Very nice pictures thanks for sharing.. I remember doing LHR-YWG serivce on AC L1011

connies4ever

Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:46 am

Quoting mainMAN (Reply 13):

There's many more corporate head offices in Winnipeg than 30 years ago, and many are doing biz all over the world, so an LHR service isn't really out of the question., maybe when the 787s arrive.

Quoting YWG" class="quote" target="_blank">YWG (Reply 17):
. I'm pretty sure the downtown bus terminal in Winnipeg would give the old YWG terminal a run for its money.

The downtown bus terminal is gone. The greyhound terminal at the airport IS the bus terminal.

Quoting Noise (Reply 9):

Also new football stadium opening next summer.

Zkpilot

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:15 am

Quoting YWG" class="quote" target="_blank">YWG (Reply 17):
I'm pretty sure the downtown bus terminal in Winnipeg would give the old YWG terminal a run for its money.

Agreed, from memory it was quite antiquated (and not in a good way). Didn't feel particularly safe there either (considering

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 20):

The downtown bus terminal is gone. The greyhound terminal at the airport IS the bus terminal.

That is good, hopefully they have/will increase local buses then.
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

VonRichtofen

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:50 am

Thanks for sharing your pictures. I flew through YWG yesterday and was wondering how the new Terminal was coming along. Looks very nice!! Much needed improvement! Congrats YWG.

canadianpylon
Topic Author

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:56 am

Quoting Noise (Reply 9):

Ya.. we're pretty happy as well!  

Quoting Aeolus (Reply 16):
It's similar to YUL's terminal!! Actually, the same!!! Who designed it!?

It does have a a somewhat similar feel...

Quoting auroralives (Reply 18):
and... and... by the looks of it... glass jetways !!

This was by far the best part! The glass jetways go over the new area where the aircraft service vehicles go. There should be lots of activity to see when you are getting off the plane.

One thing I noticed though. A lady was experiencing vertigo as she walked down the glass jetway towards the plane. I wonder if this may be a problem for others.

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 21):

That is good, hopefully they have/will increase local buses then.

Greyhound is there, but the bus terminal is very quiet. Bussing doesn't seem to very popular here. Greyhound has threatened to pull out once if they didn't get subsidies.

There's many more corporate head offices in Winnipeg than 30 years ago, and many are doing biz all over the world, so an LHR service isn't really out of the question., maybe when the 787s arrive

I think YWG is still a long way from getting direct service to London. We can easily connect through YYC/YYZ/YUL right now. The flights to YYZ seem to be pretty full all of the time, so there must be a pretty good pull of O/D traffic and connections.

AirCanada787

Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:19 am

Quoting lnglive1011yyz (Reply 11):

Quoting Aeolus (Reply 16):
Who designed it!?

It was designed by Cesar Pelli, who is probably best known for designing the Petronas Twin Towers. Pearson's T1 was designed by Skidmore, Owings and Merrill LLP along with Moshe Safdie.
The mind, like a parachute, functions only when open.

connies4ever

Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:11 am

Quoting canadianpylon (Reply 23):
Greyhound is there, but the bus terminal is very quiet. Bussing doesn't seem to very popular here. Greyhound has threatened to pull out once if they didn't get subsidies.

One of the issues with the bus terminal relocation is that a lot of traffic to the old downtown terminal was people coming into Winnipeg, particularly from the near North, for medically-based day trips, and it was handy to a lot of clinics etc. The new one is not, so a large slice of the medical traffic is now coming in via taxi.

Bussing in a lot of North American cities is still viewed as a class-based form of transportation: old people, immigrants, and students use buses, middle-class and above private transport. LRT-based systems are easier sells than bus-based. Hence the debate in Winnipeg about switching the BRT (bus rapid transit) under construction now to LRT. Likelt twice the cost but it's viewed as sexier.

HUYfan

Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:22 am

Prime candidate for BA's 787. By the time they are delivered, Winnipeg will be more than capable of supporting a daily LHR. Calgary is doing well for BA, and is likely to go back to the 777 within 2 years.

Regards

Mike

Viscount724

Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:02 am

Quoting canadianpylon (Reply 23):
There's many more corporate head offices in Winnipeg than 30 years ago, and many are doing biz all over the world, so an LHR service isn't really out of the question., maybe when the 787s arrive

I think YWG is still a long way from getting direct service to London. We can easily connect through YYC/YYZ/YUL right now.

And YEG/YOW.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos