Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

seatback
Topic Author

AA & UA Commemorating 9/11?

Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:54 pm

Being in the PR/Communications field, I struggle with whether AA and UA should recognize the anniversary of 9/11. I looked on both Web sites and didn't see any reference.

Should they publically recognize the anniversary?

What are they doing for employees?

dutchflyboi

RE: AA & UA Commemorating 9/11?

Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:07 pm

At UA, according to the employee website:

"We will honor and remember the United co-workers lost in the 9/11 terrorist attacks at a ceremony at 8:30 a.m. Central on Sunday, Sept. 11. The ceremony will be in front of the Operations Center in Elk Grove, Ill., near the garden that we planted on the first observance of the attacks.

Jeff and Pete McDonald will read the names of the 18 co-workers lost on that day 10 years ago. A moment of silence will follow. We welcome all co-workers to attend."

AAR90

Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:07 pm

Special Jetwire - Wed., Sept. 7, 2011

Dear Colleagues:

This weekend will mark the 10th anniversary of the terrible events of September 11, 2001. For all Americans, this date will have a special significance in our nation's history - and our own personal lives - much like December 7, 1941. And, like that earlier landmark event, we'll probably always stop and reflect whenever the date grows near.

For those of us in the airline industry, and particularly here at American, September 11th carries another dimension as well, since we lost two aircraft carrying our colleagues, loved ones and customers. The aircraft, of course, have been replaced; but those we lost will forever be missed.

As a result, for all of us at American and American Eagle, this will be a difficult weekend, and each of us will undoubtedly remember September 11th in our own personal way.

Some of us may choose to remember the past by focusing solely on the future. Others may feel quiet reflection is the most appropriate remembrance, while still others may seek out public memorial events. We understand and acknowledge the diversity of feelings and views on this subject.

For our part, American will honor the memory of those we lost with a ceremony at the Flight Academy near Headquarters on Sunday, September 11th, beginning at 8:00 a.m. Central. It will be in the same location that we dedicated our memorial on the first anniversary of 9/11. You are certainly welcome to attend this event if your time and work schedule permits. The event is not open to the general public, but all AA family members are welcome.

Some, understandably, may feel uneasy about traveling during this time, and may look to us to provide them a measure of strength, courage and resolve. We cannot fail them - or ourselves. In fact, summoning our finest qualities as individuals to bolster our customers and ourselves may be the most profound way we can honor the memory and lives of those touched directly by the tragedies of September 11th.

During this weekend, as with all others, let us be proud to bear the name American.

Gerard Arpey
Chairman & CEO
*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

kgaiflyer

Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:34 pm

On the other hand, I flew yesterday DCA-CLT-LAX / LAX-PHL-DCA on another airline, and it was like the 9-11 anniversary doesn't exist for the airports, for that airline, or for passengers.

A few international passengers going to TBIT in the same rental car shuttle I was returning to terminal 1 in didn't seem to know it was the anniversary of anything.

Fewer people than usual flying yesterday (on 26 on my first-leg A319). Everyone seems to have gone on with their lives.

As you suggest, many struggling with the occasion probably aren't flying

flyjoe

Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:50 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 3):
I flew yesterday DCA-CLT-LAX / LAX-PHL-DCA on another airline, and it was like the 9-11 anniversary doesn't exist for the airports, for that airline, or for passengers.

Should airport and airlines do something to acknowledge the terrorist acts on that day? Were you expecting to see a 10th anniversary banner at the ticket counter or employees wearing pins? That's quite unfair to say the anniversary doesn't exist.. especially at the airport and with the airline that was impacted longer with the closure even after all other airports were again operational.

kgaiflyer

Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:59 pm

Quoting FLYjoe (Reply 4):
Should airport and airlines do something to acknowledge the terrorist acts on that day? Were you expecting to see a 10th anniversary banner at the ticket counter or employees wearing pins? That's quite unfair to say the anniversary doesn't exist.. especially at the airport and with the airline that was impacted longer with the closure even after all other airports were again operational.

I don't judge -- just make observations.

calpsafltskeds

Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:05 pm

On UA's Flying Together link there is a splash page with a statement and list of all UA employees killed in the attacks. On the right side are drawings of all those killed that rotate. There is a Memorial page where the 9/11 event listed in the thread starter is detailed. There is a place to leave remarks on that page in a blog type format.

F9Fan

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:09 am

CAK put this on their Facebook page It appears to be between luggage claim and the ticketing counters in the public side (i.e. non-ticketed passenger) of the airport.

ghifty

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:20 am

I saw a Southwest commercial dedicated to 9/11, while eating. It would deeply upset me if AA and/or UA haven't at least done something similar to that.
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

Comments made here reflect only my personal opinions.

YYZRWY23

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:32 am

Quoting ghifty (Reply 8):
I saw a Southwest commercial dedicated to 9/11,

Saw the same commercial while watching football tonight. Thought it was a nice touch.

It would deeply upset me if AA and/or UA haven't at least done something similar to that.

A bit unfair to say in my opinion. It is different for WN. While they were of course affected, they didn't lose employees or aircraft in the attacks. I can personally understand why the airlines involved would not necessarily make a commercial. Death and tragedy, while in this case very public, is usually a very personal and private thing. I think AA and UA did right by having a ceremony each, and allowing those in the employee family to attend.

YYZRWY23
If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

triple7man

Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:05 am

I flew on an AA 777 DFW-LAX-DFW on the first anniversary of 11 September. They had a commemoration at DFW that morning. On the flight, both ways the captain did say something about the first anniversary of 11 September in his PA.
I also flew DFW-KIX on the fifth anniversary of 11 September and nothing was mentioned about it. As someone posted earlier, AA did have a ceremony for 11 September. And in many churches, reference was made it it and many pastors sermon's were on 11 September. Being an AA retiree, working on the CARE Team to assist those who lost loved ones, never goes away. And yes there are a lot of emotions involved too. I can go on, but I am thankful to be an American and part of the American Airlines family.
Have you kissed a 777 today?

SZDC10

Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:52 am

I saw a Southwest commercial dedicated to 9/11

Their homepage also has a tribute today, probably only for another 10 minutes, though.

UA and AA are different; di-rectly involved with the attacks. I can definitely understand them having a more private tribute.

codc10

Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:41 pm

UA is renaming it's Denver flight training center buildings after Flights 175 and 93. This was a private ceremony held yesterday. The 1968 building was named in honor of UA175 and the 1994 building for UA93.

thegman

Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:19 pm

On the other hand, I flew yesterday DCA-CLT-LAX / LAX-PHL-DCA on another airline, and it was like the 9-11 anniversary doesn't exist for the airports, for that airline, or for passengers.

Do you really know? Because I personally viewed the entire ramp crew line the ramp in CLT between B-C for 5 minutes at 8:45 am while the fire department held a water cannon salute.

DLD9S

Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:20 pm

It would deeply upset me if AA and/or UA haven't at least done something similar to that.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion. I would have found it a bit tacky if AA and UA had decorated their website and gate areas.

People and organizations mourn and remember in different ways. Some people show their patriotism by loading up Facebook pages with animated gifs of flying eagles, flag-draped twin towers and firemen. Others simply say a private prayer or spend a few minutes thinking about those that lost their lives. Neither way is wrong.
717 727 737 747 757 767 777 DC9 DC10 M80 M90 M11 L10 AB6 333 340 319 320 321 ARJ CRJ EM2 EMJ SF3 146 100 BE1...

STT757

Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:51 pm

About a week after the September 11th attacks I was wandering around Battery Park City along the Hudson river park trying to get close to the World Trade Center site (ground zero). Near the Irish famine memorial I discovered a temporary shrine someone had put up for the crew of the AA and UA flights involved. It was the size of two large doors, adorned with photos of the crew and personal notes left by visitors. Standing looking at this shrine were about half a dozen AA and UA pilots and flight attendants in uniform. They were crying and hugging.

I can understand the airline's keeping their remembrance of the attacks low key, however I wish there were a memorial similar to that one I saw that day near the World Trade Center site. Perhaps in a similar location in Hudson river park.

Another item I always found fascinating was that the only memorial to the passengers and crew of flight 93 at EWR (besides the flag on top of the gate the flight departed) was one the EWR employees of HP put up next to their ticket counters. It's gone now, but for years next to the HP ticket counters was a huge wall dedicated to the passengers and crew of UA flight 93. It was there from right after the 9/11 attacks until they merged with US Airways.

That the only memorial to the crew and passengers of flight 93 at EWR was that HP board has always bothered, it also bothered me that NY Governor Pataki was allowed to rename EWR "Liberty" to honor flight 93. Governor Pataki also coined the "Freedom tower" name which is no longer used. Neither names were very inspiring, what they should have renamed EWR was "Todd Beamer International airport".

Todd Beamer being the Cranbury New Jersey resident who was heard by the GTE airphone operating telling the other passengers "Let's roll" as they began their counter attack against the terrorists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Beamer
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Fly2HMO

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:05 pm

Everyone seems to have gone on with their lives.

As how it should be.

The terrorists are rejoicing that everyone is still butthurt about it when in reality we should be giving them a big F-you by going on with our lives.

Never forget, but don't take it to extremes either...

AAR90

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:09 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 15):
I can understand the airline's keeping their remembrance of the attacks low key

Those of us who crew the planes have to deal with survivor's guilt. Anything public is just wrong. I applaud both AA and UA management for keeping their ceremonies both low-key and "private." AA did published a long list of local ceremony locations to its employees. I'm sure UA did the same for theirs.
Quoting STT757 (Reply 15):
wish there were a memorial similar to that one I saw that day near the World Trade Center site.

Actually, there are many such memorials throughout the country. Here is just one.
*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

kgaiflyer

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:27 pm

Quoting thegman (Reply 13):
Do you really know? Because I personally viewed the entire ramp crew line the ramp in CLT between B-C for 5 minutes at 8:45 am while the fire department held a water cannon salute.

In CLT you mean?

Saturday I arrived at C15 on #1983 at 6:57am, and I flew out on #1431 from B9 at 7:45 am, so I would have missed this tribute.

AADC10

Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:06 pm

It is a delicate balance. Many 9/11 tributes have become self-serving and exploitative. I have become rather annoyed with many of them and even more so with the shameless exploitation by politicians and many news organizations.

For one of the airlines involved it could easily be viewed as self-promotion. As they have done, a letter and quiet ceremony are reasonable.

aal0616

Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:56 pm

Every time that I walk down the jetway at Boston Logan Gate B-32 (AAL 11) I reflect for a moment about that day and the innocents who were brutally murdered in a very private and personal manner as someone who lives with the nightmare that I could have been my throat that a fanatic slashed with a box cutter, or have simply been back in row 33 wondering what was going on, pondering why a group of zealots were about to kill me and only to have my life abruptly terminated by an instantaneous and horrific collision into a building . Can any of us contemplate how terrible the experiences of surviving crew and their passengers was as the aircraft hurtled to their fate?

I am therefore inclined to agree with those who favor a dignified and low-key anniversary approach, which respects those whose love, intellignence and lives that we lost that day, but each to their own. The barbarism of that dramatic moment in time is self-evident and we win by moving forward with our lives, travels and commerce. The sacrifice of those we have entusted with our common defense during and since that day is also self-evident, and we cannot put into words the debt that we owe to those who have voluntarily made the supreme sacrifice to keep us safe.

kgaiflyer

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:05 pm

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 19):
It is a delicate balance. Many 9/11 tributes have become self-serving and exploitative. I have become rather annoyed with many of them and even more so with the shameless exploitation by politicians and many news organizations.

Many of us were saying that about the recent 9/11 motorcycle ride / tribute from the midwest -- through DC -- to the World Trade Center -- a few weeks ago.

What does shutting down major cities as 1500 motorcycles ride though them really celebrate -- except tied up traffic and air pollution?

MEA-707

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:06 pm

Quoting CALPSAFltSkeds (Reply 6):
On UA's Flying Together link there is a splash page with a statement and list of all UA employees killed in the attacks.

Maybe I am being surly but I feel AA's tribute as nicer as it included their passengers. Passengers of UA93 tried to rescue their aircraft, but weren't worth mentioning by UA in above statement.
I understand AA and UA both only communicated and organized something for the employees, but at least Arpey didn't forget his passengers in his 'jetwire'
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos