Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alexinwa
Topic Author

SEA Int News/Airport Rumors

Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:32 pm

So FI is going daily to KEF this next summer. Great pick by FI to add SEA. Any idea how the loads are?

DL just came off double daily to AMS, 330 to KIX, daily to NRT/PEK,......not bad. Rumor was DL may take over SEA-CDG??? Any news?

HU/OZ/KE/BR all seem to be holding their own. Any news with those???

I saw a picture of the S gates at peak time for DL, are they out of room? What is the status of airline gate changes at SEA? Im very curious about AS and UA moves.
You mad Bro???

simairlinenet

RE: SEA Int News/Airport Rumors

Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:36 pm

Quoting alexinwa (Thread starter):
I saw a picture of the S gates at peak time for DL, are they out of room? What is the status of airline gate changes at SEA? Im very curious about AS and UA moves.

I was in SEA last month and took a tour of the Delta hangar and asked the same question. Someone answered it here though: Interesting SEA Observations 9.10.11 (by rgreenftm Sep 11 2011 in Civil Aviation)

Other news:
-New Delta Sky Club opened 1-2 weeks ago
-International airlines consolidating into a new lounge space (old Sky Club?) in South

HU/OZ/KE/BR all seem to be holding their own. Any news with those???

How is Hainan really faring vs. Delta on SEA-PEK?

[Edited 2011-09-14 10:37:10]

cargolex

Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Rumor was DL may take over SEA-CDG??? Any news?

I had heard that rumor too. Both from a passenger and spotter perspective, I hope it doesn't happen.

jetjack74

Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:13 pm

Quoting CargoLex (Reply 2):
I had heard that rumor too. Both from a passenger and spotter perspective, I hope it doesn't happen.

I do, more flying for us.
Made from jets!

gunsontheroof

Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:18 pm

I've flown TATL on both carriers (not directly from SEA though) and didn't find either to be particularly exceptional. That being said, I'd be disappointed if DL took over SEA-CDG. It's always fun to catch the AF A340 on its way out of town--the slow climbouts remind me of the bygone days of SK servicing SEA. DL A330s aren't exactly hard to come by around here (and for that matter, they looked much sharper in NW colors...) Be that as it may, I won't be surprised if this eventually happens, though I have to wonder where the DL metal would come from...

So FI is going daily to KEF this next summer. Great pick by FI to add SEA. Any idea how the loads are?

I think this is the second time they've added capacity on the route. That at least gives you an idea!

Quoting simairlinenet (Reply 1):
How is Hainan really faring vs. Delta on SEA-PEK?

I've wondered about this too--don't hear much about HU around here, but they've coexisted with DL on the route as well for about a year now, so I suspect they're not having too terrible of a go at it.

Any news from DL floating around out there? There was an awful lot of talk about them building up SEA-Asia a while back, but it seems to have quieted down since KIX and PEK came online. Any chance we'll see them (or anyone else) doing SEA-HKG/PVG/NGO somewhere in the near future?
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

jetjack74

Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:45 pm

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 4):
if DL took over SEA-CDG. It's always fun to catch the AF A340 on its way out of town--the slow climbouts remind me of the bygone days of SK servicing SEA. DL A330s aren't exactly hard to come by around here (and for that matter, they looked much sharper in NW colors...) Be that as it may, I won't be surprised if this eventually happens, though I have to wonder where the DL metal would come from...

Well, If DL was to take it over, it's likely that we'd be using a 763 on it. I was flying a charter about 2 weeks with out of here and our flight deck crew were SEA based, and the captain had said that he'd heard that the SEA-CDG is going to be transferred over DL, that it would be announced sometime in October and that start-date would be in the early new-year. As I said before in a previous thread, I take these with a grain of salt, that we hear these rumors all the time. So, take it for what it's worth. We would love to get it, as employees, because we're chomping at the bit for a new destination out of here. You can only be stuck doing AMS for so long before you're dying to go somewhere else. But we've heard the CDG rumor so many times before, that tend to roll our eyes every time we hear it.

Any news from DL floating around out there? There was an awful lot of talk about them building up SEA-Asia a while back, but it seems to have quieted down since KIX and PEK came online. Any chance we'll see them (or anyone else) doing SEA-HKG/PVG/NGO somewhere in the near future?

Well, that question has been broached many times, and it immediately discounted. That no "new" routes will start out of SEA for 2011 and likely into the 1st half of 2012, but as far as transference of "existing" routes, that is something they deflect and merely say they can't comment on that, which is strange, almost in a diabolical sense.
Made from jets!

BoeingGuy

Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:00 pm

Actually, I'd welcome it. I flew the AF flight too and they were great, but DL taking the route would be good for us AS FF members. The AF partnership in the AS FF program is VERY restrictive. You earn no miles for all but the most expensive coach fares. And you really have to call AF to get the correct fare that earns miles on AS. It's not straightforward.

There is no such restriction on DL. You earn AS miles and EQM for any fare on DL.

EddieDude

Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:51 pm

Any news regarding a possible tag-on service from SEA to MEX by HU or KE?
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

gunsontheroof

Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:29 pm

Quoting jetjack74 (Reply 5):
You can only be stuck doing AMS for so long before you're dying to go somewhere else. But we've heard the CDG rumor so many times before, that tend to roll our eyes every time we hear it.

I'd assume so! We'll see what happens--I can definitely see the case for DL taking over given their strong ties with AS. That being said, I recall SEA being spoken of as a destination AF "really wanted" in their system at the time it was launched, so I guess I have to wonder whether or not they've suddenly got somewhere else they're really eager to put that plane.

Speaking of DL to Europe, how'd 2x daily AMS flying go this summer?

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 6):
Actually, I'd welcome it. I flew the AF flight too and they were great, but DL taking the route would be good for us AS FF members. The AF partnership in the AS FF program is VERY restrictive. You earn no miles for all but the most expensive coach fares. And you really have to call AF to get the correct fare that earns miles on AS. It's not straightforward.

I've heard about this a few times, I can definitely understand why a lot of folks around here would be happy to see DL taking the route.

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 7):
Any news regarding a possible tag-on service from SEA to MEX by HU or KE?

Good question...I'd forgotten that this was thrown out there as a possibility recently.

ER757

Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:32 am

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 8):
I recall SEA being spoken of as a destination AF "really wanted" in their system at the time it was launched,

I heard that as well. From what my friends at Port of Seattle have told me, AF is doing quite well on the route so it seems strange to hear that DL might be taking it over. But these days, nothing would really shock me.

blrsea

Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:44 am

I hope DL doesn't take over the SEA-CDG route. AF right now offers two check in bags and their IFE is much better compared to DL. Of course, AF also offers free drinks on board.

briguy1974

Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:09 am

No matter what Delta does the Port of Seattle needs to get the gate issue in Seattle fixed. Airlines are all over. 2 separate airlines in Sea operate out of three different terminals. When I was there for 2 weeks training with Southwest Airlines Delta had to park a 763 at B-5 i think as there gates on A and South were all full. Alaska is in D, B, C, and North. It seems obvious that Alaska will eventually Have all of North, D and C. Would love to see all Horizon flights in one facility, Maybe C or all on North (just my opinion). Not sure what to do about Delta as the South alone is not big enough to handle all Delta but maybe South and the end gates on A would be possible. UA/CO and WN should have enough room in B. With US, HA, B6, VA filling the rest of A.
Anyone here anything solid on this?

Brian

flyboy80

Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:20 am

Would a DL 4x (?) weekly SEA-SYD service work? Assuming the 77L would be able to fly that one...not a whole lot of those lying around- but would provide good connections to AS network domestically, and whatever that new thing is with DL and Virgin Australia?

jetjack74

Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:59 am

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 8):
Speaking of DL to Europe, how'd 2x daily AMS flying go this summer?

Loads were mostly full, although we left non-revs at the gate with aircraft that had empty seats. The thing was, the agents claimed the flight was weight-restricted while the pilots disagreed and said the flight was well-below it's max-weight and could take the stand-bys. In the end, the flight left without the stand-bys, but I don't know what, if anything, came of it. This happened a few times this summer on both NRT and AMS.

Quoting flyboy80 (Reply 12):
Would a DL 4x (?) weekly SEA-SYD service work? Assuming the 77L would be able to fly that one...not a whole lot of those lying around- but would provide good connections to AS network domestically, and whatever that new thing is with DL and Virgin Australia?

Gee, wouldn't that be nice. Whether SEA could support something like that, I don't know.
Made from jets!

alexinwa
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:33 pm

Quoting jetjack74 (Reply 13):
Loads were mostly full, although we left non-revs at the gate with aircraft that had empty seats. The thing was, the agents claimed the flight was weight-restricted while the pilots disagreed and said the flight was well-below it's max-weight and could take the stand-bys. In the end, the flight left without the stand-bys, but I don't know what, if anything, came of it. This happened a few times this summer on both NRT and AMS.

Thats impressive, thanks for the info.

Gee, wouldn't that be nice. Whether SEA could support something like that, I don't know.

YVR seems to be doing fine.
You mad Bro???

gunsontheroof

Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:42 pm

Quoting flyboy80 (Reply 12):

I'm strongly inclined to say that the 77L is too much plane for this route--probably 787 territory. With QF/JQ bringing so many online in the coming years, it might happen. I seem to recall that DJ applied for SYD-SEA some years back...not sure what happened with that, but I can't imagine how anyone would fill a 77W on this route, even if it was only 4-5x a week.

Quoting alexinwa (Reply 14):
YVR seems to be doing fine.

YVR has an AC hub and fills a much bigger role in Canada than SEA does in the U.S. Not saying SEA couldn't support SYD service, just saying that YVR and SEA aren't really comparable markets by any barometer (except market size). The border between the two makes all the difference.

GSPSPOT

Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:42 pm

Quoting simairlinenet (Reply 1):
Other news:
-New Delta Sky Club opened 1-2 weeks ago

Hold on.... I must have missed that! Last I heard, they were doing some post-merger construction in the S Skyclub (former World Club). Does SEA have a completely new Skyclub (in the new design)??
Great Lakes, great life.

jetjack74

Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:33 pm

Quoting GSPSPOT (Reply 16):
Does SEA have a completely new Skyclub (in the new design)??

Yes, upstairs where the Evergreen Club used to be. The SkyClub on the concourse level of the S satellite will be converted to something else, I hoping for DL's IFS office. We need a new one, fast.
Made from jets!

F9Animal

Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:23 am

DL indeed runs out of room. I have seen them all over the A gates during peak times.

Quoting ER757 (Reply 9):
I heard that as well. From what my friends at Port of Seattle have told me, AF is doing quite well on the route so it seems strange to hear that DL might be taking it over. But these days, nothing would really shock me.

AF is certainly holding their own. I have a few friends that are close to the operation for AF, and they don't fear DL taking it over.

I think this is the second time they've added capacity on the route. That at least gives you an idea!

The summer has been good for this route. They do have some decent connections through KEF. Me thinks they struck a little gold mine here!
I Am A Different Animal!!

BA

Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:12 pm

Anyone have any idea how LH is doing?
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

wedgetail737

Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:35 pm

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 15):
I'm strongly inclined to say that the 77L is too much plane for this route--probably 787 territory. With QF/JQ bringing so many online in the coming years, it might happen. I seem to recall that DJ applied for SYD-SEA some years back...not sure what happened with that, but I can't imagine how anyone would fill a 77W on this route, even if it was only 4-5x a week.

There had been some talk a couple of years back that SEA would be one of the best markets the 787. QF mentioned interest in the SYD-SEA route using 787's. Also, Shanghai Airlines was looking at 787 service between SEA-PVG.

Quoting briguy1974 (Reply 11):
Airlines are all over.

Yesterday (Saturday) I was catching a flight to SNA in the N-concourse and noticed both United/Continental have split ops between B and N. There were a couple of IAH departures out the N-concourse.

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 18):
The summer has been good for this route. They do have some decent connections through KEF. Me thinks they struck a little gold mine here!

I'm glad to hear FI is doing well out of SEA. Daily service seems to be a good indication of it. Is FI going to reduce service during the winter?

Quoting BA (Reply 19):
Anyone have any idea how LH is doing?

I would imagine LH is doing well out of SEA, since it's a daily flight using the longer A330-300 and it's still here. The one I'm concerned it will not come back is Condor. I heard on another thread that the service wasn't very popular. Lastly, I wonder if Edelweiss is considering SEA for SEA-ZRH?

BA

Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:28 pm

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 20):
I would imagine LH is doing well out of SEA, since it's a daily flight using the longer A330-300 and it's still here. The one I'm concerned it will not come back is Condor. I heard on another thread that the service wasn't very popular. Lastly, I wonder if Edelweiss is considering SEA for SEA-ZRH?

Condor is increasing SEA to 3x weekly next summer with a new flight on Saturdays:
http://airlineroute.net/2011/09/22/de-s12-update1/

Edelweiss doing ZRH-SEA would be absolutely wonderful.

I do hope CDG-SEA stays on AF.

I have to say that overall I'm pretty surprised with the level of international service SEA has gained over the past couple years. It's pretty substantial.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

BoeingGuy

Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:18 pm

Quoting BA (Reply 21):
I do hope CDG-SEA stays on AF.

As mentioned above, I thought the AF flight out of SEA was fantastic, but their FF partnership with AS is horribly restrictive. You earn no AS miles and of course no EQP when flying coach on AF, except for the highest fares. Zilch, zippo, nada. And of course it doesn't readily tell you that when you go to book a flight on AF's web site.

Just for this reason alone, I either hope AF signs up to a more favorable FF deal with AS, or the flight is turned over to DL.

Of course, AF's partnership with AS isn't nearly as much of a joke as BA's is, but that's another story.

n7371f

Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:48 pm

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 20):
There had been some talk a couple of years back that SEA would be one of the best markets the 787. QF mentioned interest in the SYD-SEA route using 787's. Also, Shanghai Airlines was looking at 787 service between SEA-PVG.

SEA-SYD was one of the routes envisioned at NWA when the 787 order was on the books before the merger.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos