Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

legacyins
Topic Author

ANA Visits SJC. (again)

Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:34 am

ANA will be stopping by SJC next month to show their seating product of the 787. They plan on displaying for 2 days at City Hall and then travel to SFO for one day. The local communications director at SJC feels it is a good sign they may start service into SJC.

As this topic was discussed before, I do not believe anything has changed since their last encounter. They never did change the name to include the words " Silicone Valley" in their title. The 787 might be a good aircraft for this route but they would rely on O&D traffic. ANA already flies a 777W 30 miles up the road at SFO and has a strong *A partner hub there.

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_18906656?nclick_check=1

anonms

RE: ANA Visits SJC. (again)

Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:27 pm

Quoting legacyins (Thread starter):
They never did change the name to include the words " Silicone Valley" in their title.

And why on Earth would Silicon Valley want an airport with the words "Silicone Valley" in its title?
This is my signature.

26point2

Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:37 pm

Silicone Valley. That would be KBUR?

But seriously, I hope the ANA pitch to SJC ends with our own 787 service to Japan. Didn't AA once have SJC NRT service with the MD-11? Seem to recall.

jacobin777

Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:40 pm

Quoting 26point2 (Reply 2):
Silicone Valley.

I'm sure you meant "Silicon"...Silcone Valley would be somewhere about 400 miles south of San Jose..  

But seriously, I hope the ANA pitch to SJC ends with our own 787 service to Japan. Didn't AA once have SJC NRT service with the MD-11? Seem to recall.

Yes, AA flew MD-11's (IIRC from 1991) then B777's until October 2006.
"Up the Irons!"

mogandoCI

Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:04 pm

hahahha   +1

which one is closer to Beverly Hills anyway? LAX or BUR ?

BoeingGuy

Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:35 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 3):
Yes, AA flew MD-11's (IIRC from 1991) then B777's until October 2006.

Yes, the dearly departed AA 128/129.

As much as I'd like to see the resumption of SJC-NRT, I'd personally prefer a carrier with ties to the AS Mileage Plan do so. Might be good for the carrier too, since AS is building a little bit of a "focus city" there. I liked that flight so much that I flew SEA-SJC-NRT several times rather than SEA-NRT non-stop (after AA discontinued SEA-NRT in 2001).

I like ANA as a customer (how can one not like the 787 launch customer!) and hope someone start another overseas flight out of SJC, but for reasons I mention above I was hoping for maybe something like a DL 767 or even AA resuming the route with a 767 or 777.

jacobin777

Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:19 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 5):
As much as I'd like to see the resumption of SJC-NRT, I'd personally prefer a carrier with ties to the AS Mileage Plan do so.

I would prefer AA bring the route back..but that isn't going to happen with this current management (and current cost structure).. 
Quoting mogandoCI (Reply 4):

hahahha +1

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 3):
Silicone Valley.

I'm sure you meant "Silicon"...Silcone Valley would be somewhere about 400 miles south of San Jose..

Ah..now I get the joke..      
"Up the Irons!"

mikesairways

Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:51 pm

This is cool - too bad, however, that they are not bringing in the real thing for a demo flight. I hope it goes well and maybe next spring we'll be sporting a shiny new ANA 787 at Gate 15.
The red zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone...(Ai

legacyins
Topic Author

Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:13 am

" Silicone Valley"

yes, hahaha... automatic spelling was screwed up and changed it on me.

I belived they approached NW before the merger. I could see NH running dual operations from SJC/SFO. SFO would be used for connecting traffic. IMO, one thing they should not due is to come in with low fares to stimulate the flight. It would take away from the SFO flight.

BoeingGuy

Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:44 am

Quoting legacyins (Reply 8):
I belived they approached NW before the merger.

I'd understood that too. With NW's extensive operation in NRT, San Jose suggested that a A330-200 might be the right size plane for SJC-NRT if AA's 777 didn't work (actually I always thought that flight was very successful as it was always full in both classes when I flew it).

I'd like to see a DL 767-300 or A330-200 on the route now so they can connect with AS/QX too.

warden145

Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:13 am

The 787 might be a good aircraft for this route but they would rely on O&D traffic. ANA already flies a 777W 30 miles up the road at SFO and has a strong *A partner hub there.

SFO's 30 miles away, but you're only going to get there in 30 to 35 minutes late at night...realistically, it's more like 45 minutes to an hour in moderate to fairly heavy traffic.

I'm not an expert, but I know that there are a large number of business travelers (loyal to Star or otherwise) in the South Bay who would happily choose SJC over SFO if the choice were available. Whether that would be enough to support a daily 787 to NRT, I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is workable...
ETOPS = Engine Turns Off, Passengers Swim

legacyins
Topic Author

Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:48 am

Quoting warden145 (Reply 10):
SFO's 30 miles away, but you're only going to get there in 30 to 35 minutes late at night...realistically, it's more like 45 minutes to an hour in moderate to fairly heavy traffic.

I am currently living in Shanghai and to travel from PVG to my home in Pudong is minimum 45 min and sometimes longer if the traffic is bad. The distance is only 20 miles. A few months ago, I was in New York and it took me over an hour to get from JFK to MidTown. So traveling 45min-1hr in a major City is not unusual.

BoeingGuy

Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:23 pm

I'm not an expert, but I know that there are a large number of business travelers (loyal to Star or otherwise) in the South Bay who would happily choose SJC over SFO if the choice were available.

In fact a buddy of mine lives in San Mateo which is much closer to SFO than SJC. Yet he would drive to SJC to catch AA's SJC-NRT and other flights because he felt that SJC was so much easier to deal with and get in and out of.

jacobin777

Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:13 pm

The 787 might be a good aircraft for this route but they would rely on O&D traffic. ANA already flies a 777W 30 miles up the road at SFO and has a strong *A partner hub there.

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 12):
In fact a buddy of mine lives in San Mateo which is much closer to SFO than SJC. Yet he would drive to SJC to catch AA's SJC-NRT and other flights because he felt that SJC was so much easier to deal with and get in and out of.

SJC is a very easy airport to deal with. Also, with the new terminal, it has an excellent "feel" to it. Not to small, not too large.

Unfortunately, unlike the New York metropolitan area where all 3 airports thrive and two of them with international service, it doesn't seem as if the Bay Area can support 3 large airports, and two with international services.  
"Up the Irons!"

LAXintl

Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:22 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 13):
Unfortunately, unlike the New York metropolitan area where all 3 airports thrive and two of them with international service, it doesn't seem as if the Bay Area can support 3 large airports, and two with international services.  

Don't think you can compare NYC with a MSA population of almost 19 million with the Bay Area with about 4.5mil.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

flyibaby

Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:27 pm

I think there may be a decent shot at any airline adding new service since SJC Airport Authority are nw offering free landing fees for 2 years on any new route or airport desired route for additional service.

On a side note, has anyone heard of a rumor going around that VIrgin America is looking at adding service to SJC by Spring next year? If so, any truth to this rumor yet?

as739x

Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:29 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 14):

Completely agree. Not even a fair comparison.

When the economy was better and the Silicon Valley was thriving, all 3 airports were doing very well. Let's also remember that the area is in a nice position for the future as aviation grows. All three airports have capacity (SFO is obviously closest to it) and unlike other city's, there won't be need for a new airport.
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

anonms

Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:40 pm

SJC is a very easy airport to deal with. Also, with the new terminal, it has an excellent "feel" to it. Not to small, not too large.

I feel differently about this; I'd rather fly out of SFO than SJC even though SJC is closer to where I live. SFO feels much nicer to me, and they don't have the TSA there. I don't find SJC convenient to get to, and I can't say I'm too fond with navigating around/through the terminals.
This is my signature.

BoeingGuy

Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:56 pm

Quoting anonms (Reply 17):
I feel differently about this; I'd rather fly out of SFO than SJC even though SJC is closer to where I live. SFO feels much nicer to me, and they don't have the TSA there. I don't find SJC convenient to get to, and I can't say I'm too fond with navigating around/through the terminals.

Do you mean this in reverse, the opposite of what you said?

My folks live about 6 miles right down 101 from SJC, so that's my airport of choice when I go down there. Very convenient and the new terminal is great. I miss the nostalgia of the old C terminal and AS's Gates C16-18, but for most people the new terminal is a dramatic improvement and a World Class airport.

Now let's get some more service back there again. For international, hopefully we could see:

SJC-NRT
SJC-MEX
SJC-LHR
SJC-PVR

maybe for starters

as739x

Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:00 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 18):

SJC-NRT; Let's see what NH does
SJC-MEX; Possible
SJC-LHR; No one will waste a LHR slot on SJC
SJC-PVR; AS "again" maybe

AS looks to be SJC's growth future. But with AS you can't rely on them in the Bay Area. They have bounced all over the place and tried to build all three airports at some point.

kl911

Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:06 pm

Why would SJC need an Asian or Intl flight in general when you have an Airport with those services 30 miles away?

jacobin777

Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:07 pm

Don't think you can compare NYC with a MSA population of almost 19 million with the Bay Area with about 4.5mil.

Of course, that was already assumed in my comment. In fairness, the Bay Area has > 7 million as the San Jose, Sunnyvale MSA is not taken (amongst others).

"The SFBA CSA has a population of more than 7.46 million as determined in the 2010 census"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Fra...Bay_Area_Combined_Statistical_Area

I grew up in Chicagoland area (north suburbs) and from my point of view, the data used for the Chicagoland MSA is almost laughable (almost hypocritical or non-standardized) when the MSA for the San Jose, Sunnyvale area isn't used.

There is really no two ways around it. From time, distance, to work travel, to the people who commute from/to Chicago for work, there is no reason not to add San Jose and Sunnyvale, etc. MSA to the San Francisco MSA while places such as Kenal, Kane and even DuPage County are added in the Chicagoland MSA.

Quoting as739x (Reply 16):

When the economy was better and the Silicon Valley was thriving, all 3 airports were doing very well. Let's also remember that the area is in a nice position for the future as aviation grows. All three airports have capacity (SFO is obviously closest to it) and unlike other city's, there won't be need for a new airport.

With the way SJC management runs things, I only see SFO and OAK growing...hahaha..

Quoting anonms (Reply 17):

Of course you are entitled to your opinion. That being said, while SFO might feel nicer, its not as if SJC is a very difficult airport to deal with. Regarding the TSA, do you mean the TSA at SJC aren't like the TSA at SFO? Personally, I haven't had a problem with either.
"Up the Irons!"

as739x

Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:14 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 21):

I think he means SJC has TSA. SFO has CAS, contracted out TSA look alike's.

Regarding SJC management, I keep hearing this. I never realized how poor they seem to appear. It will be interesting to see if they can wrap up a deal with NH and/or any new carriers.

jacobin777

Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:22 pm

Quoting as739x (Reply 22):

I think he means SJC has TSA. SFO has CAS, contracted out TSA look alike's.

Ah, ok, I've never really bothered to notice. Except for one time at SJC (and the head of the TSA actually apologized), I've never had a problem the hundreds of times I've flown out of SJC.

Oddly enough though, I've actually been flying a bit more out of SFO than SJC even though I prefer flying out of SJC much, much more..
"Up the Irons!"

Tomassjc

Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:32 pm

With the way SJC management runs things, I only see SFO and OAK growing...hahaha..

After working at 5 other major airports in my career, I have to agree with you on this! Little things like a gate change, signage or setting up a printer mean talking to 2 or 3 different people and then take an act of god for approval!

Quoting kl911 (Reply 20):
Why would SJC need an Asian or Intl flight in general when you have an Airport with those services 30 miles away?!

Not that it means that much yield, but the potential VFR market with the Asian population in the South Bay and Lower East Bay is huge. If there is connection potential with NH to SGN or MNL, SJC-NRT could fill up, especially if NH works a deal with wholesalers. But then again, yield wise...not so much.

Tom SJC
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward -Leonardo DaVinci

warden145

Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:09 pm

Quoting legacyins (Reply 11):

I am currently living in Shanghai and to travel from PVG to my home in Pudong is minimum 45 min and sometimes longer if the traffic is bad. The distance is only 20 miles. A few months ago, I was in New York and it took me over an hour to get from JFK to MidTown. So traveling 45min-1hr in a major City is not unusual.

I understand what you mean...I was just trying to point out that, for the large population base in the South Bay and lower East Bay and Peninsula (Fremont, Mountain View, maybe even Palo Alto, etc), the SJC service could take advantage of those people not wanting to sit in traffic to get to SFO. Certainly, there's traffic around SJC as well, but the trip is considerably shorter (based on my experience, at least, and I run between the South Bay and both airports almost daily). Again, I have no idea if there's enough traffic between the South Bay and NRT to support a daily 787, but there could well be. FWIW, Santa Clara County by itself has 1.78 million people living there according to the 2010 Census...
ETOPS = Engine Turns Off, Passengers Swim

LAXintl

Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:52 pm

Of course, that was already assumed in my comment. In fairness, the Bay Area has > 7 million as the San Jose, Sunnyvale MSA is not taken (amongst others).

"The SFBA CSA has a population of more than 7.46 million as determined in the 2010 census"

If you want to look at CSA, than NYC is over 22mil in population.

The point is you cant compare the 3-airport activity in the largest city in the US against one that is significantly smaller.

Matter of fact one could probably make the argument that the Bay Area has too much airport capacity, as all 3 airports currently operate below capacity - by quite significant margins at SJC & OAK specifically.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

BoeingGuy

Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:34 pm

Quoting warden145 (Reply 25):
Again, I have no idea if there's enough traffic between the South Bay and NRT to support a daily 787, but there could well be.

It supported a daily 777 for year. At time, AFAIK that flight did very well before AA decided to gut SJC. In fact a co-worker of mine flew the short lived SJC-TPE flight and said it was full in one direction, and he couldn't even get on it in the other (had to be routed TPE-NRT-SJC-SEA).

jacobin777

Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:22 am

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 24):

Quoting kl911 (Reply 20):
Why would SJC need an Asian or Intl flight in general when you have an Airport with those services 30 miles away?!

Not that it means that much yield, but the potential VFR market with the Asian population in the South Bay and Lower East Bay is huge. If there is connection potential with NH to SGN or MNL, SJC-NRT could fill up, especially if NH works a deal with wholesalers. But then again, yield wise...not so much.

Exactly..  . My aunt/uncle from the east coast came to visit us back in July and said "you guys live in orientalstan"....  

Kidding aside, there is a very large O&D Asian population who live south of San Mateo and on the East Bay.

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 24):

After working at 5 other major airports in my career, I have to agree with you on this! Little things like a gate change, signage or setting up a printer mean talking to 2 or 3 different people and then take an act of god for approval!

There is an A.net member who belongs to SJC management - I'm hoping he is reading these posts here.

As I've mentioned incessantly, I've been to a few management meetings - needless to say, I'm quite disappointed as to how management have handled things - not to mention, lack of vision, creativity, etc.

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 26):
The point is you cant compare the 3-airport activity in the largest city in the US against one that is significantly smaller.

True, and I do admit do that. Maybe NYC-area wasn't a good example. The fact is however, the entire Bay Area is quite wealthy and IMHO, if done properly, while it can't support two large international airports, it can support one large (as SFO is) and one "small to medium" international airport. Also, while SFO can certainly support more growth, it will eventually become gate restricted. There will also be no chance of an additional runway - even the current runway configuration of 28R/28L (the two major runways), as well as 1R/1L isn't an optimal configuration.

As I've mentioned before, its the management's responsibility to make an airport as competitive as possible. I can say with 95% confidence, SJC airport management isn't doing that job...  

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 27):
It supported a daily 777 for year. At time, AFAIK that flight did very well before AA decided to gut SJC.

AA's B777 flight to NRT was flying for a number of years. Unfortunately, in 2005, according to A.netter mah4546, it lost a lot of money. However, running some numbers, if AA's had a plane such as the B787 (or even decided to fly the B763) and had a lower cost structure, it probably could have still made the flight work - at least until the price of shot up.

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 27):
In fact a co-worker of mine flew the short lived SJC-TPE flight and said it was full in one direction, and he couldn't even get on it in the other (had to be routed TPE-NRT-SJC-SEA).

Again, according to mah4546, while the flight lost money the first year, it was looking to possibly become a successful flight. Unfortunately the dot.com bust and 911 put a "kabosh" to it.

AA's SJC-CDG was a poor performing flight from the start.

Of note, while the Silicon Valley area isn't as bustling as it was in the 1990's-2002, it certainly isn't as bad as it was back in 2003-2004, etc. It got really bad then. Things have stabilized, even improved since then. That being said, more needs to be done. There is more than enough land here for companies to expand, yet Intel and AMD still build FABS in other states..cost of doing business in the Bay Area/Silicon Valley is still expensive...  
"Up the Irons!"

christao17

Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:33 pm

I just don't see how a carrier, lacking a domestic feed network into SJC, would be able to support service from SJC-NRT (or to elsewhere in Asia, honestly). I grew up in the South Bay and I like SJC, but if you look at the overall population of the Bay Area, SFO is generally more convenient than, or roughly equally convenient as, SJC for a majority of the population. And that's before you consider issues of frequent flier program membership, domestic feed, etc.

When I lived in San Francisco proper, I would have been very hard pressed to drive all the way to SJC to take an international flight. However, when I lived in the South Bay, driving up to SFO (which is 15 miles shy of San Francisco) was reasonably convenient.
More than a dozen years flying in and around Asia...

BoeingGuy

Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:53 pm

Quoting christao17 (Reply 29):
I just don't see how a carrier, lacking a domestic feed network into SJC, would be able to support service from SJC-NRT

True. That's why I'd prefer to see one of AS's partners take up the route, especially if AS continues a build-up at SJC and reinstates AUS. AA's flight received feed from BOS, LAS, AUS, SNA and SAN among others. I'd met people on the flight who lived in Orange County and did SNA-SJC-NRT, rather than drive in traffic to LAX to get a non-stop.

I have no doubt SJC-NRT can be successful if done correctly. It did very well for many years, as I understand.

aal151heavy

Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:08 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 30):
That's why I'd prefer to see one of AS's partners take up the route, especially if AS continues a build-up at SJC and reinstates AUS. AA's flight received feed from BOS, LAS, AUS, SNA and SAN among others.

AA's SJC flights today are all hub flights: ORD, DFW, LAX.

ANA has the right equipment with the right capacity to fly the route. Lest we forget the 787 was meant to do exactly this mission - long distance, medium capacity from smaller markets.

ANA is obviously gauging O&D market interest, otherwise they would not be doing a seat demo at San Jose City Hall. ANA's 787 international long-haul seating configuration is 46+112, or 158 seats. It is very low density and doesn't appear to be all that all that hard to fill.

By comparison, ANA's 777-300ER used for SFO-NRT seats 247 (8+77+24+138). AA's 777-200 also seats 247 (16+37+194). That's almost 100 more seats than the 787!

Ben
My airliners.net photos

gigneil

Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:06 am

ANA could probably do well capturing UA elites from the South Bay with ongoing connections.

Just as *A rules DC, they also rule SF.

NS

BoeingGuy

Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:09 pm

Quoting aal151heavy (Reply 31):
AA's SJC flights today are all hub flights: ORD, DFW, LAX.

Yes, I'm well aware of AA's past and current routes at SJC and how the gutted the former hub. But as I stated, some of their past routes provided feed to AA 128/129.

SANFan

Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:38 pm

Quoting mikesairways (Reply 7):
This is cool - too bad, however, that they are not bringing in the real thing for a demo flight. I hope it goes well and maybe next spring we'll be sporting a shiny new ANA 787 at Gate 15.

Nothing will be happening that soon! In a couple of years, ANA may be ready to add some new cities that would hopefully be profitable with the Dreamliner. I'm sure the first-arriving '87s are already committed to existing routes at existing stations for quite a while into the future.

Quoting legacyins (Reply 8):
I could see NH running dual operations from SJC/SFO.

Do you really think so? My take on the multi-airport question is, for an airline with only 5 stations in the mainland U.S. -- one of them SFO of course -- I would be very surprised to see them open another city 30 miles from an existing one. It would seem more logical to expect to see them open up in other metro areas long before multi-airport service at an existing one.

My guess is that the travelling exhibit of seating is simply to help sell the SFO flights, perhaps including 787 service there in the future. But who knows; I know that the article is hopeful and if I lived in the Bay Area, I probably would be as well.

bb

mikesairways

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:13 pm

Quoting as739x (Reply 22):
Regarding SJC management, I keep hearing this. I never realized how poor they seem to appear. It will be interesting to see if they can wrap up a deal with NH and/or any new carriers.

One thing they need to get with the program on is Marketing.

There is nothing about this on their website (their website is mediocre at best), they barely have a social networking presence (twitter/facebook). If they are really serious about getting more service - they need to be doing extensive outreach to the travelers directly, not necessarily the corporations.

SFO for example, they pretty much tweet every time a pax uses the bathroom, and that IS the audience of Silicon Valley.

Nothing on SJC's website about the new AS daily service, just a link to a Press Release to the new Hawiian Service.

Pitching numbers to the airlines is pointless if the PAX (and not just the frequently flyers who are already loyal to SFO) don't get excited.

I'm sure there is more I could say....but bottom line is they need some basic communication/pr strategy.
The red zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone...(Ai

N1120A

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:27 pm

That joke is so easy, yet so funny.

Quoting mogandoCI (Reply 4):

Roughly equidistant, but LAX is easier and faster to get to in most circumstances.

That said, the "Silicone Valley" reference has nothing to do with Beverly Hills. You need to look up a certain massively profitable worldwide entertainment genre that is based in the San Fernando Valley, where BUR is located  

The other thing is that SFO is more accessible by public transport from most of SJC's drawing area.

the Bay Area with about 4.5mil.

More like 7.5m, but still not as big.

Quoting gigneil (Reply 32):

ANA could probably do well capturing UA elites from the South Bay with ongoing connections.

Just as *A rules DC, they also rule SF.

Yes.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

gigneil

Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:54 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 36):
The other thing is that SFO is more accessible by public transport from most of SJC's drawing area.

Ish. Once you get to Caltrain, SJC is fine and much closer. Its just getting to Caltrain.

I took public transportation, for $1.50 total, from Mountain View to SJC the other day in about 18 minutes. That being said, its a useless airport. United is retarded for not serving Chicago anymore, or even a 1x or 2x IAD.

I miss IAD-SJC.

NS

gigneil

Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:57 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 36):

Ish. Once you get to Caltrain, SJC is fine and much closer. Its just getting to Caltrain.

I took public transportation, for $1.50 total, from Mountain View to SJC the other day in about 18 minutes. That being said, its a useless airport. United is retarded for not serving Chicago anymore, or even a 1x or 2x IAD.

I miss IAD-SJC.

NS

BoeingGuy

Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:54 pm

Quoting gigneil (Reply 37):
That being said, its a useless airport.

I beg to differ.

SJC sure isn't useless to me when I can fly down there and it's a 10 minute drive for my mom to pick me up, as opposed to what would be a 50+minute drive (or more in traffic) to SFO or a one hour train ride, and then a 15 minute drive from Caltrain. The AS flights from SEA-SJC don't seem too useless to me, among many other examples. HA apparently decided recently it isn't too useless either for those going to Maui.

[Edited 2011-09-19 16:01:28]

[Edited 2011-09-19 16:02:34]

Tomassjc

Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:27 am

Quoting gigneil (Reply 38):

I'd day that it's pretty useful for the hundreds of thousands of people that live within 15 miles or so, park across the steet and are home within a half hour of arrival.

Tom SJC

[Edited 2011-09-19 17:31:36]
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward -Leonardo DaVinci

aal151heavy

Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:52 am

Tell that to the 8.4 million passengers that used SJC in the past 12 months.

Ben
My airliners.net photos

laca773

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:30 am

United is retarded for not serving Chicago anymore, or even a 1x or 2x IAD.

NS

I still can't figure out why they dropped SJC-ORD.

It sounds like SJC Management needs to get assertive or they need to be woken up by their superiors, or are they basically asleep on the job too?? It's a sad story.

BoeingGuy

Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:33 pm

Quoting laca773 (Reply 42):
It sounds like SJC Management needs to get assertive or they need to be woken up by their superiors, or are they basically asleep on the job too?? It's a sad story.

My folks live in San Jose and tell me that city of San Jose leadership in general has a reputation for being really incompetent. Having said that however, my own observation is that parts of the city are actually much safer and more attractive than when I was a teenager there in the late-70s, early-80s, especially downtown and the Eastridge area.

Back to topic, is there any possibility of the AA/JL joint venture (re)starting SJC-NRT? As I've mentioned, I think an airline that has ties to AS might do well to start that route, especially if AS continues to grow at SJC (like restarting AUS-SJC) and can provide good feed to the route. A few well timed new AS routes like SJC-AUS, SJC-BOS, SJC-MIA, SJC-SNA, SJC-SAN, SJC-TUS might do well to help the success of a SJC-NRT route.

tonyban

Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:28 pm

I work at the corner of 1st Street and Charcot Ave and during my daily walks, I'll gaze up to see 737s or A320s take off.
Would be nice to see something different for once. That said, SJC is a fantastic airport for local hops and would love to see it have more intl flights added.

Thanks

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos