Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

eaglefarm4

RE: Australian Aviation Thread #54

Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:41 am

Also expect changes in NLK flights from late Feb.
tourismman

Gemuser

Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:36 am

Quoting ZuluAlpha (Reply 49):

Then those carriers will just have to try and obtain 5th freedom rights to those onward destinations beyong Japan

Interestingly enough Australian carriers have had rights from Japan & else where to the USA, from the USA, but not from Japan, since the original Australia/USA air service agreement, it was referred to as "via North Asian ports".

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

JMM99

Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:19 am

Quoting qf002 (Reply 10):
I doubt that JQ/QF will be coming back to MEL-HNL -- it's seriously not going to be enough money to validate the time/effort when there are other opportunities that will make them more money. VC isn't a serious threat because they capture zero business market and there is zero loyalty associated with them.

BNE & MEL passengers hate going to SYD to fly anywhere. Don't understand why QF don't get this.

If VC make HNL work then surely the JQ 332 that goes MEL/SYD/HNL may go MEL/HNL nonstop &/or one or more SYD/HNL's may go SYD/BNE/HNL.

Heard that QF was pulling out of HNL altogether, so if that's correct surely there would be more JQ services to HNL.

Wonder how VC are going ? Anyone can sell seats over end of year school holidays & make a profit, but it's the low seasons that surely make or break an airline.

alangirvan

Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:36 am

Noting that Air Asia X is talking about the joint venture with ANA, and operations from Japan to Guam and HNL - I take it that eventually Jetstar Japan will fly to similar destinations with A332s, in the joint venture with JAL. So we might see tricky operations, similar to the operations between Australia and Singapore, Perhaps Jetstar Japan would use Singapore based crew to fly SIN-NRT-HNL. Or CNS-NRT-HNL. If Peach sees a good market between Japan and Australia, they can fly it with A330-300s sourced from Air Asia X.

IndianicWorld

Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:41 am

Quoting JMM99 (Reply 52):
BNE & MEL passengers hate going to SYD to fly anywhere. Don't understand why QF don't get this.

Yes, its been brought up over and over on here. We know that and they likely know that, but sometimes other considerations need to be taken into account. They have operational reasons for their decision making in this regard.

If VC make HNL work then surely the JQ 332 that goes MEL/SYD/HNL may go MEL/HNL nonstop &/or one or more SYD/HNL's may go SYD/BNE/HNL.

If VC do well, I can see JQ making a move to try and stem any pax losses from BNE and MEL, depending on aircraft availability and other revenue/yield factors.

Heard that QF was pulling out of HNL altogether, so if that's correct surely there would be more JQ services to HNL.

QF had a good chancee to pull out of HNL, and move the route onto JQ, as part of its restructing process, but did not make the move. Whether or not that was due to JQ's inability to increase service at this point or just not on their agenda is something we might have to wait longer to find out.

Wonder how VC are going ? Anyone can sell seats over end of year school holidays & make a profit, but it's the low seasons that surely make or break an airline.

Very true, but time will tell. If the AUD continues to stay below parity, things might actually be even harder for them.

Quoting alangirvan (Reply 53):
If Peach sees a good market between Japan and Australia, they can fly it with A330-300s sourced from Air Asia X.

Peach is not the Air Asia-ANA JV, and is actually another ANA JV.

qf002

Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:01 am

Not if it doesn't make them more money. There is a fundamental reason why QF/JQ have a focused operation in SYD, and while I think it would be nice to see more flights from more cities, if the profit isn't there to be made then they're not going to bother. I just don't think JQ would bother chasing this tiny part of the market when they could concentrate their efforts on flights to China and the rest of Asia where they'll make a lot more money for their aircraft, unless there is major impact on their profits out of SYD (there could be, but I think VC is chasing market stimulation as much as existing traffic).

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 54):
QF had a good chancee to pull out of HNL, and move the route onto JQ, as part of its restructing process, but did not make the move. Whether or not that was due to JQ's inability to increase service at this point or just not on their agenda is something we might have to wait longer to find out.

QF's flights go out very full, and at very high fares (especially considering it's a pretty poor service standard). Not to mention that the 763ER is actually a very efficient aircraft on these longer distance flights, which means they're probably making good money on this route. My bet is that they're waiting to see what the market tells them, and if they sustain current operations will move to A332s (I imagine) once JQ get their 788s. Alternatively, if the market turns against them then they don't stand to lose that much (ie they haven't got a big investment in the route) and can easily drop out any time.

FlyboyOz

Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:16 am

I have read an article somewhere that Air AsiaX will fly to SYD soon.
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

IndianicWorld

Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:24 am

^^ They want to, and have wanted to for quite a while. With the new AK/D7-MH deal, it only makes sense now that they weill get rights to fly into SYD sooner rather than later.

vaustralie

Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:26 am

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 57):

It would be nice to see D7 at SYD...
a346

FlyboyOz

Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:32 am

Air Asia doesn't fly to SYD at the present but it's odd why Air AsiaX advertise airfares sales on the NSW newspapers. lol

zkncj

Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:55 am

Quoting FlyboyOz (Reply 59):
Air Asia doesn't fly to SYD at the present but it's odd why Air AsiaX advertise airfares sales on the NSW newspapers. lol

Because people will make there own way to OOL to get the cheap fares on Air AsiaX. Just like Air Aisa X markets it fares in AKL, but flys out of CHC

FlyboyOz

Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:16 am

Quoting zkncj (Reply 60):
Because people will make there own way to OOL

Yeah there is no codeshare with the domestic airlines to OOL. I don't think that it's very wise.

vaustralie

Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:49 am

Quoting qf002 (Reply 46):
More details at AusBT. This is very exciting -- can't wait to go see it! Any idea if we'll be able to go inside?

Are there any dates confirmed for this yet?? And when they'll announce it if they haven't? And according to the source posted below you they are looking for an open day and it'll be branded in JQ/QF livery.. :O

Quoting FlyboyOz (Reply 61):

Codeshare or not, it's working for them. My friend flew from OOL with them about three weeks ago - said it was almost at 100% capacity ... Maybe it was the day or maybe it's always like that, but if they wanted/needed to codeshare they would   

[Edited 2011-10-01 01:50:18]
a346

IndianicWorld

Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:22 am

^^ OOLs issue is apparently yields. D7s CEO stated that a while back.

qf002

Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:00 am

Quoting vaustralie (Reply 58):
It would be nice to see D7 at SYD...

Not sure 'nice' is the world I'd use  But it is good to see some serious LCC competition firing up in SYD.

Yeah there is no codeshare with the domestic airlines to OOL. I don't think that it's very wise.

If it wasn't wise then they wouldn't still be doing it. Obviously it has increased their sales and profits, otherwise they wouldn't continue to spend the money -- they're not completely stupid.

Quoting vaustralie (Reply 62):
Are there any dates confirmed for this yet?? And when they'll announce it if they haven't? And according to the source posted below you they are looking for an open day and it'll be branded in JQ/QF livery.. :O

Still waiting -- I'm going to predict towards the end of the month though, just because these things take time to organise and QF/Boeing are going to have work to do getting crews/the plane ready, setting up open day events, advertising this thing, getting the press on board etc which will take a good couple of weeks. And I'm interested to see them co-branding the plane, though it means that the JQ livery will look half-arsed because it will be on a white background  
Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 63):
^^ OOLs issue is apparently yields. D7s CEO stated that a while back.

LOL yields on a LCC! Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Flyingsottsman

Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:14 pm

I was woundering if that was going to happen, seems like only a matter of time before QF pull out of HNL and give it to JQ,Jetstar is fast becomming the Sprit of Australia now and our once mighty proud Qantas is now a shadow of its former self.

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 41):
hope that becomes true. Virgin Atlantic had a press release stating PER would be one of their first 787 routes, but that was a long time ago, and I expect things have changed.

I am suprised that a LHR-BKK or SIN-PER has not been done. BA left PER I think over 10 years ago and QF have never realy worried about PER considering Perth has a very big Ex pat English poplution there.

Quoting eaglefarm4 (Reply 34):
Obviously VH-BZF you weren't around in the 60's and 70's when Qantas turned up at all bilateral meetings and vetoed many foreign airlines from flying to our cities.BNE finally got our first Asian carrier in 1980 .What goes around comes around.

Yeah I agree I dont have any sympathy for QF either, I remember back in 1992 when UA decided to do MEL-LAX daily once QF heard this they to decided to jump on the route aswell, before that QF couldnt give a stuff about MEL.

qf002

Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:14 pm

Quoting Flyingsottsman (Reply 65):

I was woundering if that was going to happen, seems like only a matter of time before QF pull out of HNL

That rumor's been around for years though, and QF just seem to keep on going... It seemed like a matter of time back in 2007 (I think?) when JQ started on the route and here we are 4 years later.

BA left PER I think over 10 years ago and QF have never realy worried about PER considering Perth has a very big Ex pat English poplution there.

Umm... Double daily QF A330 (one flight has been a 744 on and off over the past few years) on PER-SIN plus a daily JQ flight hardly says that they've never worried about PER. PER is their second biggest port to SIN in Australia after SYD (more flights than MEL, BNE etc). Without wanting to be rude, you should really check your facts before making big calls like that  

Zkpilot

Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:50 pm

Yeah I agree I dont have any sympathy for QF either, I remember back in 1992 when UA decided to do MEL-LAX daily once QF heard this they to decided to jump on the route aswell, before that QF couldnt give a stuff about MEL.

Yes but to be fair, LAX-MEL is one of the longest flights in the world... esp with winds its almost ULH. Economically it didn't really make much sense (even today if it wasn't for 744ER and A380) it would be tough...quite frankly I don't know how UA do it (then again they are losing money so maybe its because their pax often feed into domestic flights). It really is a 77W route.
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

thegeek

Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:02 am

77W is restricted on LAX-MEL isn't it? I'd say it's 744ER, 77L or A380 territory.

UA only fly LAX-MEL seasonally, FWIW.

Quoting qf002 (Reply 55):
the 763ER is actually a very efficient aircraft on these longer distance flights,

That plane is efficient on longer flights only if you ignore the superior cargo revenue potential from the A332, and the A332's superior range. On medium distance flights the A333 has even more revenue potential.

koruman

Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:42 am

A warm welcome back to Realdeal/Simplicity!

I have just returned from HNL, where year on year visitor numbers from Australia were reported in the local paper as being up 87%!

I suspect that if anything we might see Qantas increase frequency rather than continuing to give JQ a free lunch.

thegeek

Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:47 am

77W is restricted on LAX-MEL isn't it? I'd say it's 744ER, 77L or A380 territory.

the 763ER is actually a very efficient aircraft on these longer distance flights,

That plane is efficient on longer flights only if you ignore the superior cargo revenue potential from the A332, and the A332's superior range. On medium distance flights the A333 has even more revenue potential.

FlyboyOz

Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:28 am

Quoting qf002 (Reply 64):

If it wasn't wise then they wouldn't still be doing it. Obviously it has increased their sales and profits, otherwise they wouldn't continue to spend the money -- they're not completely stupid.

Sorry, i mean it's not convenient for the pax to transfer the aircraft. Air AsiaX pax will not be able to make it if the domestic plane is delayed. They could lose money and holiday time.

qf002

Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:52 am

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 67):
quite frankly I don't know how UA do it

They funnel their LAX and SFO flights into a single daily tag SYD-MEL. They don't fly nonstop LAX-MEL at any time of the year.

Quoting thegeek (Reply 68):

Never said that the 763ER was more efficient than the A332 -- just saying that a lack of efficiency on the aircraft's part on this route isn't why it is going to be cancelled. The aircraft is adequately efficient that it's not going to lose them money on the route.

Quoting thegeek (Reply 68):

Nope, all year round as a tag from SYD. They add an extra LAX-SYD flight during our summer.

Quoting FlyboyOz (Reply 71):
Sorry, i mean it's not convenient for the pax to transfer the aircraft.

Oh right, sorry! I agree that I definitely wouldn't be doing it on two separate tickets (or at all to be honest!), especially when MH has such good fares in Y out of SYD (with included bags, food, 34" of legroom etc)

Ditzyboy

Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:59 am

Quoting qf002 (Reply 72):
They funnel their LAX and SFO flights into a single daily tag SYD-MEL. They don't fly nonstop LAX-MEL at any time of the year.

UA has indeed operated MEL via AKL, then non-stop, then as a tag from SYD as you mention. Even after the SYD tag, there has been seasons or periods of non-stop services, from what I remember.

tayser

Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:04 am

They don't fly nonstop LAX-MEL at any time of the year.
Nope, all year round as a tag from SYD

Yes, they have in the past. 2 or 3 years ago for a period of 6-8 weeks (Mid Dec to Mid Feb IIRC) they did fly LAX-MEL non-stop - no doubt to move people directly to the Australian Open / other events on in MEL at that time as well as Christmas/New Year etc.

qf002

Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:03 am

Quoting tayser (Reply 74):
Yes, they have in the past. 2 or 3 years ago for a period of 6-8 weeks (Mid Dec to Mid Feb IIRC) they did fly LAX-MEL non-stop - no doubt to move people directly to the Australian Open / other events on in MEL at that time as well as Christmas/New Year etc.

While that may be the case, it can hardly be regarded as a 'seasonal operation'.

Quoting vaustralie (Reply 62):
Are there any dates confirmed for this yet??

On this point (not sure if any others have seen this yet) -- the Herald Sun is expecting the visit to be in November, touching down in SYD for 2 days on November 15th, then flying down to MEL. Note that these dates are not confirmed by QF yet, and the Herald Sun is the only outlet using them so might not be that trustworthy.

TruemanQLD

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:49 am

Quoting koruman (Reply 69):
A warm welcome back to Realdeal/Simplicity!

dont forget ECONOMICS  

thegeek

Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:31 am

Quoting qf002 (Reply 75):
While that may be the case, it can hardly be regarded as a 'seasonal operation'.

What would you call it? Ad Hoc perhaps?

Zkpilot

Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:26 am

Quoting thegeek (Reply 70):

The 77W has better range than a 744ER and since it can hold so much cargo it often might not need all that space hence less likely to be weight restricted. This is the reason why QF was the only airline to order the 744ER; the rest waited for the 77W

[Edited 2011-10-03 02:28:34]

qf002

Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:39 am

Quoting thegeek (Reply 77):
What would you call it? Ad Hoc perhaps?

I'd just say that UA have a complicated history of serving MEL. There's not really a name to describe random operations one year then not the next, then something else... Out of interest, was that nonstop MEL flight in place of the additional SYD flight or did both operate (meaning UA had 4 daily 744s to Australia for that couple of months)?

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 78):
The 77W has better range than a 744ER and since it can hold so much cargo it often might not need all that space hence less likely to be weight restricted. This is the reason why QF was the only airline to order the 744ER; the rest waited for the 77W

Well VA's 77W's apparently take a hit while QF's 744ER's can go out of LAX full and make it to MEL, so regardless of what the specs say on this route the 744ER is the better aircraft. It's also important to note that there are two far more pressing factors to QF ordering the 744ER -- getting the planes in 2001 rather than 2006 or later, and being able to fit that extra 30-50 seats on each plane (bearing in mind the already low density config the Pacific configured planes have). They couldn't care less about having empty cargo space...

Zkpilot

Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:47 am

Quoting qf002 (Reply 79):
Well VA's 77W's apparently take a hit

Source? Never heard that before.

while QF's 744ER's can go out of LAX full and make it to MEL

Often take a hit to MEL, and when the winds are bad often don't fly completely full (also don't take cargo), and divert to SYD or AKL to gas up if MEL is looking even a little foggy.

qf002

Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:05 pm

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 80):
Source? Never heard that before.

Hmmm, could have sworn that I read somewhere when this route was announced a couple of years ago that the 77W would have trouble going out at max payload with VA's pretty dense (360+ seats) configuration. Will try and hunt a link down...

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 80):
Often take a hit to MEL, and when the winds are bad often don't fly completely full (also don't take cargo), and divert to SYD or AKL to gas up if MEL is looking even a little foggy.

QF don't have issues on LAX-MEL with their 744ER's. QF and VA both divert if there's bad weather that could require a holding pattern in any one of SYD/BNE/MEL. Not sure where you're getting that from (probably the same place I'm getting my weird ideas of 77W issues   )

tayser

Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:50 pm

Quoting qf002 (Reply 75):

not another one who likes to split hairs on this forum... it happened over a season in one year, therefore it was seasonal... christ!

Out of interest, was that nonstop MEL flight in place of the additional SYD flight or did both operate (meaning UA had 4 daily 744s to Australia for that couple of months)?

in place of additional flight.

thegeek

Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:07 am

Out of interest, was that nonstop MEL flight in place of the additional SYD flight or did both operate (meaning UA had 4 daily 744s to Australia for that couple of months)?

Instead. IIRC the tag didn't operate while the LAX-MEL direct flight was operating, which meant you needed to go via LAX to do SFO-MEL on UA. Might have been better to use code share partner NZ to go via AKL.

You had on UA:
SFO-SYD
LAX-SYD
LAX-MEL
I think all were daily.

qf002

Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:08 am

Quoting tayser (Reply 82):
not another one who likes to split hairs on this forum... it happened over a season in one year, therefore it was seasonal... christ!

Um, while I don't particularly want to get into this -- a seasonal flight is a flight that regularly operates for a specific period of the year, not just as a one off experiment. This was not a regular operation, and therefore cannot be considered seasonal, at least IMO. I could just as easily say, using your logic, that VA's flights to JNB are seasonal (in the winter/spring), when we all know that they tried and failed on the route.

Quoting tayser (Reply 82):
in place of additional flight.

Cheers  

shnoob940

Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:59 am

Quoting eaglefarm4 (Reply 39):
2 717'S early in 2012 at Brisbane .

Which routes from BNE?

gibbo

Ditzyboy

Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:08 am

Quoting shnoob940 (Reply 85):
Which routes from BNE?

ROK and MKY mainly. There's rumours of limited GLT operations too. Previously, 717s have operated ex-BNE to ROK, MKY, PPP, HTI, TSV, CNS and ISA

I used work on the 717s for QantasLink/Impulse and very much miss the QLD flying. 5 day ROK trips and 3 day MKYs. Good times.

qf002

Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:22 am

QF is increasing frequency on the SYD-DFW-BNE-SYD rotation -- adding two flights per week on January 15th 2012, then moving to daily some time in July.

No media release as of yet, but confirmed by Australian Business Traveller...

SCL767

Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:38 am

LAN continues to increase its relations with its fellow oneworld Alliance partners. IASC recently confirmed the Qantas/LAN codeshare application. The new codeshare agreement between LAN and Qantas will include freight; however LAN will continue to set airfares and freight charges independently to Qantas. Also, LAN and JAL will soon implement a new bilateral codeshare agreement.

aflyingkiwi

Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:26 am

Quoting qf002 (Reply 87):
QF is increasing frequency on the SYD-DFW-BNE-SYD rotation -- adding two flights per week on January 15th 2012, then moving to daily some time in July.

Good to hear the recent rumors are true. Daily by July is quite a bold step but good to see nonetheless. It seems QF are doing quite well on this route despite a couple of issues they've had.

Regards,
aflyingkiwi

ZK-NBT

Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:11 am

Quoting thegeek (Reply 83):
You had on UA:
SFO-SYD
LAX-SYD
LAX-MEL
I think all were daily.

When UA first did LAX-MEL non stop operated from December 1999 till April 2001 UA also ran daily LAX-AKL with a 744 meaning 4 daily 744 down under, MEL went back to via AKL from April 2001 till April 2002 then MEL via SYD ever since except the few months 2-3 years ago when they ran MEL non stop to LAX.

Well VA's 77W's apparently take a hit while QF's 744ER's can go out of LAX full and make it to MEL, so regardless of what the specs say on this route the 744ER is the better aircraft.

VA probably have diverted on LAX-MEL although I'm not aware of any diversions myself, I'd say they probably have some restriction though out of LAX. Both QF 744ERs and A380s have diverted several times, some due to weather and others due low fuel definatly in the 744s case I believe not sure re the A380.

Quoting SCL767 (Reply 88):
LAN and JAL will soon implement a new bilateral codeshare agreement.

Hmm LAN aircraft to NRT via AKL in future?

thegeek

Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:35 am

Did the seasonal LAX-MEL direct only happen for a single year? I have to admit I didn't know that.

qf002

Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:42 am

Quoting thegeek (Reply 91):
Did the seasonal LAX-MEL direct only happen for a single year? I have to admit I didn't know that.

Regular operations up to March 2001 and then again in Summer 2008/9 (December 17th 2008 through to February 1st is the dates that Google is throwing up). So really only for 6 weeks since 2001.

tayser

Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:23 pm

Quoting ZK-NBT (Reply 90):
VA probably have diverted on LAX-MEL

yep, they certainly have. I was on it back in March and diverted to SYD.

EK413

Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:40 pm

Considering it's QF's home base and majority of the fleet / parts are in SYD the travelling public need to accept it...
I agree BNE and MEL are probably much more efficient to fly via but SYD is the hub and unless a NEW airport is built which I personally doubt will happen anytime soon SYD will continue to be QF's main point of transit...

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

tayser

Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:19 pm

Quoting EK413 (Reply 94):
the travelling public need to accept it...

the travelling public do not need to accept it, they can simply choose a better option - and they do except for where SYD is completely unavoidable and that's mainly to South America, NRT or JNB - everywhere else, no need to fly on QF.

speaking of diverts - QF94 is diverting right now, flown by an A380 today - the difference between QF94 and VA12 diverting is that QF likely needs the aircraft in MEL to do QF9, and therefore it's just going to be a splash and dash in SYD, whereas VA are so aircraft-constrained they'll just dump everyone on the domestic flights (what happened in March)

vaustralie

Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:54 pm

Quoting eaglefarm4 (Reply 39):
s the basing of 2 717'S early in 2012 at Brisbane .

Any chance of them coming to any other east coast ports? MEL, CBR, SYD etc? I want to fly one   

Also, a question..
With JL receiving it's first 787 soonish    , does anybody think NRT-SYD will be replaced from a 777 to a 787?
Or stay as-is, with the 777? Obviously it wouldn't happen right with the first 787 delivered but maybe down the track?
a346

koruman

Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:52 am

BNE & MEL passengers hate going to SYD to fly anywhere. Don't understand why QF don't get this
Considering it's QF's home base and majority of the fleet / parts are in SYD the travelling public need to accept it...

I accept it, as a frequent flyer based part-way between Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

And I respond to it by directing my $100K+ of long-haul tickets per year to Air New Zealand and, latterly, Etihad.

Qantas had a choice to make in the last half-decade. They could

EITHER

a) hub A380 services at Sydney, Heathrow and LAX

OR

b) they could use the 788 and 789 from Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide to offer one-stop services to several European cities via an Asian hub and non-stop services to LAX, SFO, YVR and DFW.

Qantas chose to go the Sydney-centric route. Consequently in southeast Queensland they have less international market share than Singapore Airlines, Emirates and Air New Zealand.

Even more bizarrely, they are now going to operate feeder services into an Asian hub to provide one-stop services to Europe. But from China rather than secondary Australian cities.

vaustralie

Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:13 am

Quoting koruman (Reply 97):
I accept it, as a frequent flyer based part-way between Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

And I respond to it by directing my $100K+ of long-haul tickets per year to Air New Zealand and, latterly, Etihad.

BNE and MEL have a wide selection apart from Qantas. So I agree with you, take someone who can get you there without going through SYD... As you say, they (QF) have chosen to go the Sydney-centric route.
Although I understand that most tourists would like to visit SYD, I don't understand having limited international routes from MEL and BNE. Obviously there are going to be tourists wanting to visit there - and it's not just tourists that could use more international routes - it's the Australians who travel too..

Considering it's QF's home base and majority of the fleet / parts are in SYD the travelling public need to accept it..

Okay, but why not grow another base in MEL or BNE?   
a346

The Coachman

Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:13 am

Quoting koruman (Reply 97):

Qantas had a choice to make in the last half-decade. They could

EITHER

a) hub A380 services at Sydney, Heathrow and LAX

OR

b) they could use the 788 and 789 from Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide to offer one-stop services to several European cities via an Asian hub and non-stop services to LAX, SFO, YVR and DFW.

Qantas chose to go the Sydney-centric route. Consequently in southeast Queensland they have less international market share than Singapore Airlines, Emirates and Air New Zealand.

Even more bizarrely, they are now going to operate feeder services into an Asian hub to provide one-stop services to Europe. But from China rather than secondary Australian cities.

Here we go again. We've been through this before.

They bought enough 787's to do it - but is it QF's fault they are late?

In any event, you think the feed will be better from secondary Australian cities than China/Singapore/Japan? You can bet if QF had any sense that Australian feed will be part of the feed to those one-stop services to Europe. You just don't seem to understand the fact that BNE is no more or less than SYD is but is merely a feeder to a service to Europe via SIN/PVG/KUL. If anything, QF's problem has been lack of 330s. From what your post is saying, BNE is better feed than PVG/PEK/CAN???
M88, 722, 732, 733, 734, 73G, 73H, 742, 743, 744, 752, 762, 763, 772, 773, 77W, 320, 332, 333, 345, 388, DH8, SF3 - want