777way
Topic Author

Did South African Serve Beirut?

Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:06 pm

As far as I know they only did TLV and DXB in west Asia, but just want to confirm if BEY was also in their network at any stage pre and post the dark period of their history.

odafz

RE: Did South African Serve Beirut?

Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:19 am

No South African never served BEY . Passengers to South Africa would connect in ATH with Olympic airways, or make the whole trip to/from LHR/FCO then BEY. Nowadays it is much simpler either thru DXB (EK), DOH (QR) or CAI (MS)

soups

Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:14 pm

Quoting ODAFZ (Reply 1):
No South African never served BEY . Passengers to South Africa would connect in ATH with Olympic airways, or make the whole trip to/from LHR/FCO then BEY. Nowadays it is much simpler either thru DXB (EK), DOH (QR) or CAI (MS)

A few of them uses ACC, LOS, ADD, TK etc...
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

wassch71

Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:50 am

South African Airways did not fly to Beirut. However, BOAC's initial flights from London to Johannesburgh by Comet were routed during the fifties via Beirut ( I beleive the initial routing in 1952 was London-Rome-Beirut-Khartoum-Entebbe-Livingston-Johannesburg). BOAC and SAA had joint flights agreement between London and Johannesburg but SAA itself did not operate this particular routing as far as I know.

The only major African airlines I know of with a history of operating scheduled flights to Beirut are Egyptair, Sudan Airways, Ethiopian Airlines, Libyan Arab Airways, Tunis Air, Air Algerie, Royal Air Maroc and Ghana Airways.
Nigeria Airways and Air Afrique had lonstanding codeshare agreements with Lebanon's Middle East Airlines from the early seventies to the late nineties for flights between Beirut and Kano, Lagos and Abidjan; although these were flown by MEA only as far as I know. There was something about Gabon Airlines flying to Beirut at one point but I am not sure it ever worked out.

There were other interesting scheduled flights from Beirut to Africa apart from the above mentioned BOAC route. I saw a 1955 first flight cover from 1955 of Sabena operating Brussels-Frankfurt-Beirut-Stanleyville-(now Kisangani)-Elizabethville (Lubumbashi) . Aeroflot had interestingly fifth freedom rights between Beirut and Bangui and Brazzaville on Tu 154 flights that were operated via Cairo and Khartoum per a 1975 timetable. Another interesting routing was Varig's Rio-Monrovia-Rome-Beirut flight flown by DC8 with fifth freedom flights in the sixties (I saw it in a 1966 timetable).
MEA...Like No Other

777way
Topic Author

Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:36 am

Thanks that was great information.

Viscount724

Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:52 pm

Quoting wassch71 (Reply 3):
However, BOAC's initial flights from London to Johannesburgh by Comet were routed during the fifties via Beirut (I beleive the initial routing in 1952 was London-Rome-Beirut-Khartoum-Entebbe-Livingston-Johannesburg).

The BEY stop on the Comet 1 services to JNB was moved to CAI after the first few months of service, which saved about 300 miles.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos