Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

point2point

RE: New Frontier/Republic Part 27

Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:36 pm

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 96):
This should get you in the ballpark http://www.transtats.bts.gov/Data_Elements.aspx?Data=2

What a neat site. Thanks.

(or maybe not Thanks..... I was up all night playing with it and didn't get all that much sleep now....  )

mcg

Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:54 pm

I'm curious about football charter flights. I noticed F9 carried the University of Northern Colorado football team to Missoula for a game. The plane carried the team DEN - MSO, then positioned MSO - GEG, then did a revenue trip GEG - DEN. I assume the charter was simply a replacement for a regularly scheduled DEN - GEG trip, is this true? Are the crew paid for the positioning flight from MSO to GEG?

n7371f

Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:49 am

Quoting mcg (Reply 101):
I'm curious about football charter flights. I noticed F9 carried the University of Northern Colorado football team to Missoula for a game. The plane carried the team DEN - MSO, then positioned MSO - GEG, then did a revenue trip GEG - DEN. I assume the charter was simply a replacement for a regularly scheduled DEN - GEG trip, is this true? Are the crew paid for the positioning flight from MSO to GEG?

When F9 chartered Washington State and Idaho out of PUW, F9 would often fly the Friday morning DEN-GEG leg, then have the 319 fly GEG-PUW. The Friday late morning GEG-DEN would not run.

F9Animal

Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:11 am

Quoting mke717spotter (Reply 98):
Looks like F9 will have new competition to deal with on MCI-SEA in the form of AS: AS To Announce Two Routes & New City (by wedgetail737 Oct 10 2011 in Civil Aviation)

Not worried about it at all.

Quoting floridaflyboy (Reply 99):
If it hasn't already been mentioned, F9 will also be using the Airbus this winter on this route.

That is what I am hearing, but it is not official yet. The EMB 190 seems to be a fine airplane for this route.
I Am A Different Animal!!

mke717spotter

Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:16 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 103):

I'm not surprised to hear you say that because it seems like you always try to put an over-optimistic spin on anything that's not in favor of F9. I know that WN just ended MCI-SEA and AS's connections may be limited, but I don't think F9 should "not worry about it at all."
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

point2point

Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:31 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 103):
Quoting mke717spotter (Reply 98):
Looks like F9 will have new competition to deal with on MCI-SEA in the form of AS: AS To Announce Two Routes & New City (by wedgetail737 Oct 10 2011 in Civil Aviation)

Quoting floridaflyboy (Reply 99):
If it hasn't already been mentioned, F9 will also be using the Airbus this winter on this route.

That is what I am hearing, but it is not official yet. The EMB 190 seems to be a fine airplane for this route.
AS competed with F9 on the DEN/PDX route (along with UA and WN as well) and eventually AS gave the route up. Currently, AS and F9 compete in DEN/SEA and then DEN/ANC on a summer route. With these two routes, AS and F9 not only seem to be both hanging in there against each other, but also against both UA and WN on the Seattle route, and with UA (last two seasons) on the Anchorage route.

Quoting mke717spotter (Reply 104):
I know that WN just ended MCI-SEA

Is it that F9 ran WN off a route here? Holy cow.....

Only time will tell on MCI/SEA if anyone is going to blink here, but I think that there is room for both.

[Edited 2011-10-13 02:30:43]

F9Animal

Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:50 pm

'm not surprised to hear you say that because it seems like you always try to put an over-optimistic spin on anything that's not in favor of F9. I know that WN just ended MCI-SEA and AS's connections may be limited, but I don't think F9 should "not worry about it at all.

mke717spotter, am I supposed to be pessimistic about this? AS has not assaulted F9 in any way. AS is out to make a buck, and with WN pulling out, there is a buck to be made. AS has brought some healthy competition to F9. AS is not flexing any muscles by over-saturating the market either. I do worry about AS filling their plane, but they seem to have a good formula to profit.

As for being "over-optimistic", I remind you that I am employed with F9, and I have a duty to be positive. I also know that I have a bright outlook on the future of this airline. I could easily join the doom and gloom crowd, but I am reminded daily when I work, that we are, "A Whole Different Animal"!

I could run into a corner, and put my thumb in my mouth... Or, I could give the best service to my guests, and keep them coming back for more. Which would you suggest?  

mariner

Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:36 pm

I'm not surprised to hear you say that because it seems like you always try to put an over-optimistic spin on anything that's not in favor of F9. I know that WN just ended MCI-SEA and AS's connections may be limited, but I don't think F9 should "not worry about it at all."

But it was as predictable as night follows day. The chances of Frontier having a (summer) plum route to itself were just about zero.

When Frontier announced DEN-ANC, it took about a nanosecond for Alaska to announce ANC-DEN and the message boards were filled with the war cries of what Alaska was going to do to pissant Frontier. It didn't quite work out that way.

Frontier survived on MCI-SEA against Southwest. I'm not sure that I think of Alaska as a tougher competitor and in the costs department may be less so.

mariner
aeternum nauta

mariner

Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:06 pm

Happily, there isn't much happening - although a couple of dickie bids have cheeped that there might be a minor thing or two in the next few days - but there are a couple of fun items.

I don't usual follow airline quality surveys, because they can be so loaded - depending on the agenda or market base of whoever is doing the survey - but the latest Concierge Readers Choice is quite fun, putting Frontier at #6:

http://www.concierge.com/images/cnt/pdf/2011-Readers-Choice-Awards.pdf

There's a whole lot of stuff about hotels, for those looking.

And the much-mocked (by some) RFD has put out its September numbers, with one little puzzle for me:

http://www.wrex.com/story/15687383/r...t-enjoys-a-busy-month-of-september

"The number of people flying in and out of Chicago Rockford Airport soars in September.

RFD served 8,629 passengers last month, a 40 percent increase from the numbers in September 2010."

They attribute much of the increase to the Clearwater service, presumably Allegiant to PIE. But I'm a bitty puzzled that it would be so good in September.

mariner

[Edited 2011-10-13 13:38:00]
aeternum nauta

GentFromAlaska

Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:12 pm

For those who may be interested here is the calendar year 2010 stats for airport ranking by passenger boardings released by the FAA last week. http://www.faa.gov/airports/planning...edia/cy10_primary_enplanements.pdf

I don't think the report in this format is available in the RITA BTS transportation statistic reports.
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

DBCooper

Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:07 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 108):
Happily, there isn't much happening - although a couple of dickie bids have cheeped that there might be a minor thing or two in the next few days - but there are a couple of fun items.

Yes - 3 new routes to be announced on Friday.

- DBC

kingcavalier

Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:28 pm

Quoting DBCooper (Reply 110):
Yes - 3 new routes to be announced on Friday.

More Frontier route announcements
Friday, Oct 14, 2011 07:55
Includes new D.C. and seasonal service, route adjustments

Frontier is today announcing the launch of new nonstop service from both Grand Rapids and Madison to Washington Reagan, as well as new nonstop seasonal service between Kansas City and Orlando. Service on the GRR-DCA route takes off Jan. 4, 2012 and on the MSN-DCA and MCI-MCO routes Jan. 5, 2012.

Frontier is also implementing route adjustments in several markets during the first quarter of 2012 – including the discontinuation of Milwaukee-Pittsburgh service effective Jan. 4, 2012; the seasonal suspension of nonstop Milwaukee-Boston service for the first quarter of 2012; and other frequency and day-of-week adjustments.

The additional D.C. and seasonal Orlando service, as well as the seasonal route adjustments, are part of Frontier’s ongoing efforts to return the airline to sustained profitability, according to Daniel Shurz, vice president of strategy and planning.

“In these times of continuing high fuel prices, we’re continuing to fine-tune our schedules to match capacity to demand in what is historically the weakest travel quarter of the year,” Daniel said. “This includes adding new service on routes where we can profitably offer our better and different product; discontinuing underperforming routes; and making seasonal, frequency and equipment adjustments as we have announced today.” For example, he pointed out that Frontier’s recently announced Kansas City-Las Vegas nonstop service – which starts Nov. 1 – will be upgraded from a 99-seat E190 to a 138-seat Airbus A319 due to strong demand on the route.

Grand Rapids-Washington Reagan (begins Jan. 4, 2012)

Route
Departs
Arrives
Frequency
Aircraft

GRR-DCA
8:20 p.m.
10:00 p.m.
Mon, Wed, Fri
A319

DCA-GRR
6:50 a.m.
8:30 a.m.
Tues, Thurs, Sat
A319

Madison-Washington Reagan (begins Jan. 5, 2012)

Route
Departs
Arrives
Frequency
Aircraft

MSN-DCA
7:05 p.m.
Tues, Thurs, Sun
A319

DCA-MSN
6:40 a.m.
7:49 a.m.
Mon, Wed, Fri
A319

Kansas City-Orlando (begins Jan. 5, 2012)

Route
Departs
Arrives
Frequency*
Aircraft

MCI-MCO
2:40 p.m.
6:20 p.m.
Mon, Thurs, Fri, Sun
E190

MCO-MCI
6:50 p.m.
8:59 p.m.
Mon, Thurs, Fri, Sun
E190

* Frequency increases to six days per week (no Tuesday service) beginning 2/23/12.
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness

n7371f

Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:35 pm

Quoting kingcavalier (Reply 111):
GRR-DCA
8:20 p.m.
Mon, Wed, Fri
A319

DCA-GRR
6:50 a.m.
8:30 a.m.
Tues, Thurs, Sat
A319

Madison-Washington Reagan (begins Jan. 5, 2012)

Route
Departs
Arrives
Frequency
Aircraft

MSN-DCA
7:05 p.m.
Tues, Thurs, Sun
A319

DCA-MSN
6:40 a.m.
7:49 a.m.
Mon, Wed, Fri
A319

Interesting attempt. Perhaps trying to establish something ahead of US Airways once they begin fortifying their DCA base. GRR was initially on US' list of cities served; don't think MSN was.

However as a business man, these flights will not be preferred unless I have a meeting in DC at 7am. Much rather fly out first thing in the morning and come back as late in the day as possible; F9's service does the exact opposite and therefore will have some challenges getting the high yield flyer.

And wow! MKE-BOS discontinued for the first quarter. Ouch!

kingcavalier

Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:39 pm

Quoting n7371f (Reply 112):

It says seasonal but I doubt it will come back. I guess they're still running BOS-MCI and the once a week BOS-DEN flight. It does say PIT is getting cut, though.

mikefrommke

Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:44 pm

Interesting attempt. Perhaps trying to establish something ahead of US Airways once they begin fortifying their DCA base. GRR was initially on US' list of cities served; don't think MSN was.

However as a business man, these flights will not be preferred unless I have a meeting in DC at 7am. Much rather fly out first thing in the morning and come back as late in the day as possible; F9's service does the exact opposite and therefore will have some challenges getting the high yield flyer.

These are routes previously served via MKE so they have the connecting numbers that they are hoping will translate to nonstop passengers. I agree MKE-BOS is a big route to discontinue but given the loads they saw last year I can't say it is too surprising. Coupled with the lower connecting numbers with reduced feed its good to try to see them stem potential losses and move to more O/D flying.

Like the upgauge of MCI-LAS though!

kingcavalier

Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:47 pm

And other news from Frontier - they turned on their new home page for their web site. It has a new shopping calendar feature. It will allow people to look for days when special fares are available. They get to see the specials highlighted and, when they click on the dates they want, they're taken to the booking engine to purchase those dates. Also added is a feature that allows those who have booked their flights online to change their flights online if needed rather than having to call reservations.

I was hoping to see an interactive route map, but I hear that is being worked on.

It's a pretty clean look -

www.frontierairlines.com

[Edited 2011-10-14 08:29:55]

[Edited 2011-10-14 08:30:31]

GentFromAlaska

Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:33 pm

Frontier is today announcing the launch of new nonstop service from both Grand Rapids and Madison to Washington Reagan

Interesting they are using the valuable DCA slots for GRR and MSN! Other than Madison being the state capital is there connection between the cities that would support to use of the DCA slots. IMO there would be better choices. Even if the slots were previously used between MKE-DCA I've been to Grand Rapids and drove through Madison I do know Madison is a college town.

enilria

Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:57 pm

Frontier is today announcing the launch of new nonstop service from both Grand Rapids and Madison to Washington Reagan, as well as new nonstop seasonal service between Kansas City and Orlando. Service on the GRR-DCA route takes off Jan. 4, 2012 and on the MSN-DCA and MCI-MCO routes Jan. 5, 2012.

How many times has GRR-WAS been announced by different carriers? Isn't AAI/LUV flying BWI-GRR???

the seasonal suspension of nonstop Milwaukee-Boston service for the first quarter of 2012

That's definitely a route that screams seasonal leisure market. Puh-leez. That's a huge one to give up on.

Quoting kingcavalier (Reply 113):

It says seasonal but I doubt it will come back.

It's not a seasonal route. Now we know why they are flying 1/week DEN-BOS rather than MKE-BOS. Hard to imagine GRR-DCA is better than MKE-BOS.

mariner

Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:51 pm

That was fun to wake up to. I'm been wishing for MCI-MCO as long as I can remember - I'm happy. And very pleased about MCI-LAS.  

I think the other two are fascinating, and raise some questions, such as - where'd they get the slots? What will Delta do?

Then again, if the slot swap goes ahead, Delta is going to be dropping a bunch of DCA routes - did Frontier get a heads-up?

And an unanswered question - the 5th SNA slot?

Quoting mikefrommke (Reply 114):
I agree MKE-BOS is a big route to discontinue but given the loads they saw last year I can't say it is too surprising.

Someone posted the numbers for both Frontier and Airtran on MKE-BOS last winter - both ugly. As Daniel Shurz said:

“In these times of continuing high fuel prices, we’re continuing to fine-tune our schedules to match capacity to demand in what is historically the weakest travel quarter of the year,” Daniel said

Happily, I think we are back in Sean Menke territory - "there are no scared cows."

mariner
aeternum nauta

ScottB

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:31 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 117):
the seasonal suspension of nonstop Milwaukee-Boston service for the first quarter of 2012

That's definitely a route that screams seasonal leisure market. Puh-leez. That's a huge one to give up on.

There is quite a bit of seasonal variation in the market, but being unable to retain BOS-MKE for the winter will make it progressively harder to retain business traveler loyalty in Milwaukee. And if I'm not mistaken, that leaves only MKE-DFW & MKE-DCA from the original YX markets still being flown year-round.

Quoting mariner (Reply 118):
I think the other two are fascinating, and raise some questions, such as - where'd they get the slots? What will Delta do?

My best guess is that they will use the slots currently used for the late MKE-DCA and early DCA-MKE. The schedule changes aren't live yet.

Then again, if the slot swap goes ahead, Delta is going to be dropping a bunch of DCA routes - did Frontier get a heads-up?

I'm not sure this would help F9 in the routes they just announced. In the original slot swap deal, US planned to serve both GRR and MSN from DCA. Then again, perhaps US will drop these routes "due to the requirement to divest DCA slots."

The bigger issue for the business traveler is that these routes are sub-daily. And since MSN-MKE is gone, there isn't even a connecting option via MKE (which GRR will still retain). I think I'd like the new use of the DCA slots a bit better if MKE connectivity were retained as a one-stop option -- so things like MKE-FNT-DCA, MKE-GRR-DCA,

mariner

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:42 pm

And an unanswered question - the 5th SNA slot?

There's an interesting curve ball just come up in the SNA Slot Allocation thread - post #23:

2012 SNA Slot Allocation Award (by LAXintl Sep 29 2011 in Civil Aviation)

"And now we know why the airport hung onto the remaining slots as yesterday they post a proposed Air Service Development Incentive Program for Mexico, potentially $300,000 for the year, to be awarded in June 2012 on the website www.ocair.com . There are trying to get someone to use those brand new international gates."

I dunno if Frontier would be interested - or if it would get work - but I wonder if it will put its hand up?

mariner
aeternum nauta

smoot4208

Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:30 pm

I'm shocked they aren't just canceling everything out of MKE. TPA isn't happening anymore, BOS is going seasonal, BKG is ending in December, the 3 remaining EAS cities are ending in March, PIT is ending in January. I highly doubt SAN and SEA will return next summer as well now.

Wouldn't it just make more sense to gut everything from MKE? It's apparent that no more than a handful of routes are even marginally profitable.

[Edited 2011-10-14 14:31:26]

LAXintl

Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:38 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 120):
I dunno if Frontier would be interested - or if it would get work - but I wonder if it will put its hand up?

For its sake I hope not.

We know how well F9 did in the high volume LAX-SJD market. F9 simply does not have the brand awareness or marketing to get traction on such a route here in SoCal.

Anyhow, I have seen the traffic studies which the airport based their decision to building the facility, and it focused on the huge Hispanic communities in places like Santa Ana, Anaheim, Garden Grove etc. The airport I believe expects to support routes to ethnic markets such as GDL than a beach market for the OC locals. This probably also explains why it consulted with Mexicana and TACA at the time of giving the green light to launch services.

If any US airline is going to go after Mexico from SNA, I’d say it would be Alaska or United, but personally I see the opportunity better made for someone like Volaris to try.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

mariner

Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:49 pm

Quoting smoot4208 (Reply 121):
Wouldn't it just make more sense to gut everything from MKE? It's apparent that no more than a handful of routes are even marginally profitable.

Why gut? If there are "a handful" of routes that are profitable, fly those routes.

MKE can probably support one full hub carrier, and I see no indication that Southwest intends to dismantle most (any?) of the Airtran operation. At least for this winter it doesn't even appear to be transferring any of the DCA/LGA slots, as many predicted would happen.

I see no point in losing millions of dollars on routes simply because they are Midwest legacy routes. At some point, I expect MKE to find its equilibrium and then it can be built from there.

mariner

[Edited 2011-10-14 14:52:25]
aeternum nauta

mariner

Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:21 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 122):
For its sake I hope not.

We know how well F9 did in the high volume LAX-SJD market. F9 simply does not have the brand awareness or marketing to get traction on such a route here in SoCal.

I wasn't necessarily thinking SJD - or even Mexico. It was my understanding that they are international gates, not just Mexican gates.   

mariner
aeternum nauta

LAXintl

Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:27 pm

The financial incentive and free slots are solely for Mexico services.

The program is called "Air Service Development Incentive Program: Mexico"

Some details:

Quote:

The proposed JWA Air Service Development Incentive Program for Mexico (“Incentive Program”) has been designed to encourage and promote the operation of commercial passenger air service by new entrant and incumbent air carriers to Mexico. A copy of the proposed Incentive Program is provided in Exhibit C. The Incentive Program is in compliance with state and federal laws and complies with all of the FAA requirements for air carrier incentive programs. The Incentive Program is also consistent with all provisions of the Settlement Agreement and Access Plan.

The goals of the Incentive Program include providing new non-stop air service between JWA and Mexico, promoting competition at the airport, increasing the number of passengers utilizing JWA (within the parameters defined in the Settlement Agreement and the Access Plan), maximizing utilization of new international arrival facilities at JWA, increasing non-aeronautical revenue generated at JWA, and serving Orange County passengers who are currently flying through other regional airports that offer non-stop service to Mexico.

F9Animal

Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:32 pm

Quoting smoot4208 (Reply 121):
I highly doubt SAN and SEA will return next summer as well now

I have a feeling that SEA will return for the season. The cruise season is meat and potatoes.

As for the MKE hub, I am hopeful that F9 is able to scale enough back to return that operation to profitability. Once the formula is figured out, I am hopeful that it will grow again. We all know that MKE was hurt badly by those fuel guzzling 140/145's. MKE is not down and out, and I have heard birds chirping that MKE is turning around, and the results of the cuts taken will bring the station from red to black. My birds have been pretty good sources so far.

mariner

Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:33 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 125):
Quoting LAXintl (Reply 125):
The financial incentive and free slots are solely for Mexico services.

Yes, I understand that - I posted that.

But if the international gates are there and if - always "if" - Frontier wanted to use its 5th slot for an international service - even if not daily - would SNA tell Frontier to rack off?

Something has to happen with that 5th slot and I live in hope that it is slightly more interesting than SNA-DEN.

mariner
aeternum nauta

LAXintl

Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:47 pm

If you are thinking about Canada for instance, that is a market F9 even today could serve without the Intl gates.
Air Canada in the past, and WestJet currently serve SNA already, and the new facility is not needed for Canada flights.

Also for planning a slot must be utilized minimum 5-days per week to be considered active.

mariner

Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:00 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 128):
If you are thinking about Canada for instance, that is a market F9 even today could serve without the Intl gates.
Air Canada in the past, and WestJet currently serve SNA already, and the new facility is not needed for Canada flights.

Also for planning a slot must be utilized minimum 5-days per week to be considered active.

No, I wasn't thinking about Canada. And yes, I understand about gate utilization. I can only repeat myself:

Quoting mariner (Reply 127):
But if the international gates are there and if - always "if" - Frontier wanted to use its 5th slot for an international service - even if not daily - would SNA tell Frontier to rack off?

Clearly, SNA has built the gates in the hope that they will be used and the mere fact of international gates at SNA changes the equation. Frontier's contract with Apple Vacations and the potential for "in conjunction" routes - changes the equation.

I have no idea where those two changed equations could - stress "could" - lead, but it obviously pointless to even speculate about it here

mariner

[Edited 2011-10-14 16:03:44]
aeternum nauta

kingcavalier

Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:06 pm

"Frontier posts best on-time rate of DIA’s big 3 airlines"

Nice recovery after July's hail storm

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/ne...nver+%28Denver+Business+Journal%29

ScottB

Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:54 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 119):
The schedule changes aren't live yet.

The winter schedule changes appear to be up now, and from looking at a typical Friday in March, it also appears that MKE-LGA and MKE-DCA both go to double-daily on the E190, while MKE-PHL is a single daily E190. MKE-DFW also goes to two daily E190's. The ERJ flying appears to be double-daily flights to seven markets -- CMH, FNT, GRR, IND, BNA, EWR & OMA, along with the EAS markets until they can be dropped. MKE-LAS (E190) & MKE-PHX (A319) remain daily. The MKE-MCO seasonal daily flights continue on the A319, while MKE-FLL and MKE-RSW share a single daily E190 rotation (4 weekly for FLL, 3 weekly for RSW). MKE-MCI will see 3 daily E190's, while MKE-DEN will operate with 1 daily E190, 2 daily A319's, and 1 daily E190.

So, as far as I can tell, that leaves 18 daily ERJ round-trips (including 4 in the EAS markets), 13 daily E190 round-trips, and 5 daily Airbus round-trips (1 on the A320) at MKE in March. If I've missed something, I will happily stand corrected!

smoot4208

Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:34 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 131):
The winter schedule changes appear to be up now, and from looking at a typical Friday in March, it also appears that MKE-LGA and MKE-DCA both go to double-daily on the E190, while MKE-PHL is a single daily E190. MKE-DFW also goes to two daily E190's. The ERJ flying appears to be double-daily flights to seven markets -- CMH, FNT, GRR, IND, BNA, EWR & OMA, along with the EAS markets until they can be dropped. MKE-LAS (E190) & MKE-PHX (A319) remain daily. The MKE-MCO seasonal daily flights continue on the A319, while MKE-FLL and MKE-RSW share a single daily E190 rotation (4 weekly for FLL, 3 weekly for RSW). MKE-MCI will see 3 daily E190's, while MKE-DEN will operate with 1 daily E190, 2 daily A319's, and 1 daily E190.

MKE down to 36 flights. That has to be an all time low, however this was to be expected. I really wonder how much longer PHL will stay open. It's down to just 1 flight to MKE and 1 to DEN.

mariner

Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:38 pm

Quoting smoot4208 (Reply 132):
I really wonder how much longer PHL will stay open. It's down to just 1 flight to MKE and 1 to DEN.

Plus the flying for Apple which starts this week.

mariner
aeternum nauta

enilria

Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:10 am

Quoting ScottB (Reply 131):
So, as far as I can tell, that leaves 18 daily ERJ round-trips (including 4 in the EAS markets), 13 daily E190 round-trips, and 5 daily Airbus round-trips (1 on the A320) at MKE in March. If I've missed something, I will happily stand corrected!

Is it 100% that the E145s are going away? Is that announced or is it just obvious? I wonder how many of the 18 will remain...

mariner

Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:04 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 133):
Plus the flying for Apple which starts this week.

I'm really very pleased with what is happening to the route map. It is starting to achieve what I have been wanting to see for a number of years.

There's always been a debate about other hubs/focus cities, but what I'm seeing has been my preferred alternative - that other cities should grow organically until they become more than just a destination. Especially, I like the balance between the "think different" routes (BKG, PVU, PHF, etc) and the more traditional approach, such as MCO and (surprisingly) DCA. So now we're at the point where MCO and DCA should almost get a bigger dot on the route map.  

I still think there is more than meets the eye with the two new DCA routes, but it is, as always, pointless speculating about that here.

I understand this is all a bit of a pill for some of the MKE folk to swallow, but given the inherited situation and the Airtran/Southwest push at MKE, I don't believe there is a rational alternative. I hope MKE is where I wanted it to be - at, or very close to, financial viability.

I am still curious about the fate of the 5th SNA slot and I think there may be a route or two (non-MKE) that may go away, or not come back, but otherwise, I'm fairly chipper.

I am even more pleased when I overlay the Apple routes onto the map. I understand that airline elitists will tell me they don't count, but they do to me. I see no reason why they shouldn't have the potential to be a safe back door to scheduled service at a couple of airports that I don't think Frontier should otherwise have served.

I'm sure there are some lumps ahead, but, for me, the restructure gets more interesting by the day and I could wish the CEO of my home-base airline were so proactively addressing the problems he admits exists.

mariner
aeternum nauta

SANFan

Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:15 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 135):
I think there may be a route or two (non-MKE) that may go away, or not come back,

Such as OMA-California... certainly NOT returning in the winter apparently.

bb

mariner

Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:28 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 136):
Such as OMA-California... certainly NOT returning in the winter apparently.

No, they weren't on my mind. But I would surprised to see either of the routes you mean return for winter.

mariner
aeternum nauta

FreequentFlier

Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:39 am

I'm really very pleased with what is happening to the route map. It is starting to achieve what I have been wanting to see for a number of years.

You're very pleased F9 is closing hubs in favor of day of week contract flying with Apple vacations? Wasn't the point of Republic buying F9 and YX to diversify out of the contract business?

mariner

Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:43 am

Quoting FreequentFlier (Reply 138):
You're very pleased F9 is closing hubs in favor of day of week contract flying with Apple vacations?

I don't see much point in responding to that. I've already given my reasons, and I don't come here to fight. I am always astonished at the number of people who seem to want to fight with me.

Or was something I said obscure?

mariner
aeternum nauta

mariner

Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:59 am

And, speaking of hubs, a dickie bird - moderately reliable - has just told me that United has just cut another big bunch from its winter DEN (January/February) schedule.

Nothing is certain until it is posted in OAG, of course, but every little helps.

mariner

[Edited 2011-10-16 21:01:42]
aeternum nauta

FreequentFlier

Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:01 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 139):
I don't see much point in responding to that. I've already given my reasons, and I don't come here to fight. I am always astonished at the number of people who seem to want to fight with me.

Or was something I said obscure?

mariner

Oy. And your response to my perfectly reasonable questions is why I generally don't bother getting involved in the F9 threads.

Elephant in the room: The publically stated reason for Republic to acquire F9 and YX was due to their desire to diversify themselves so that they could place their own aircraft coming off leases into their own network rather then having the aircraft sitting on the ground eating up lease payments. And now Republic is closing hubs, parking the very ERJs that were supposed to be placed into its own network and moving towards day of week flying with Apple Vacations, and everyone is supposed to believe this was the strategy all along? And people come to these threads not to ask these perfectly valid questions, but rather just to pick fights with someone on the Internet that they've never met?

If you say so mate.

mariner

Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:03 am

Quoting FreequentFlier (Reply 141):
Oy. And your response to my perfectly reasonable questions is why I generally don't bother getting involved in the F9 threads.

What's reasonable about saying "hubs have been closed"? Which hub has been closed?

mariner
aeternum nauta

kingcavalier

Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:10 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 140):
And, speaking of hubs, a dickie bird - moderately reliable - has just told me that United has just cut another big bunch from its winter DEN (January/February) schedule.

I heard that too. My contact at UA said their DEN ASM's will be down 11% in January and 6.5% in February. That certainly cannot be bad news for F9.

joeljack

Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:18 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 140):

Nothing is certain until it is posted in OAG, of course, but every little helps.

mariner

I know this is the Frontier thread but United has been killing me lately. My last 5 trips to the west coast have been OMA-IAH-(SEA/LAX/SFO or LAS) vs always connecting through Denver before. This past weekend, OMA-IAH-LAS was only $450 while going through Denver was $680. I couldn't justify the extra for the shorter flights. I also just paid $260 for a one-way OMA-DEN in November (F9 was the same price).

Prices to and through Denver are through the roof from about July 1st of this year on. This should really be helping Frontier. I really can't believe United wants to route people through IAH vs DEN when the miles via DEN on many of my routes are half. United is killing their own yield.

As comparison for my trips this year from OMA:

Jan 1st - July 1st to west coast via Denver, all were between $400-$500
July 1st - Current to west via Houston, all between $350 and $450. (via Denver all fares have been north of $600 for my dates and times)

Just thought some of that may be interesting to F9 folks.

mariner

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:54 pm

I am even more pleased when I overlay the Apple routes onto the map.

And here's Frontier going back to BWI - from PUJ.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/FFT8516

BWI wasn't on the original 6 (US) city list and I believe it is only till December. Flightaware has it as a nine hour flight, which seems long to me even with island hugging.

mariner

[Edited 2011-10-17 12:16:56]
aeternum nauta

GentFromAlaska

Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:16 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 145):
Flightaware has it as a nine hour flight, which seems long to me even with island hugging.

For comparison I I flew and Air Trans Air flight 738 charter several years ago. Guantanamo Bay to Naval Air Station Norfolk. As I recall we were in the air about four hours.

I notice the flight plath has it hugging the islands (coast) and not necessarily the most direct route. Does anyone know if F9 A320 are ETOPS certified?

mariner

Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:36 pm

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 146):
For comparison I I flew and Air Trans Air flight 738 charter several years ago. Guantanamo Bay to Naval Air Station Norfolk. As I recall we were in the air about four hours.

Gremlins in Flightaware? It's been changed to a three hour flight.  http://flightaware.com/live/flight/FFT8516

I don't know of an A320 can can fly for nine hours with any kind of a load.

mariner
aeternum nauta

bjorn14

Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:43 pm

I notice the flight plath has it hugging the islands (coast) and not necessarily the most direct route. Does anyone know if F9 A320 are ETOPS certified?

Maybe the airline couldn't get permission to flyover Cuba...there is an agricultural corridor that Cuba lets commercial flights use.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

ScottB

Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:56 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 148):
Maybe the airline couldn't get permission to flyover Cuba...there is an agricultural corridor that Cuba lets commercial flights use.

They wouldn't fly over Cuba between BWI & PUJ; that's out-of-the-way.

They're almost certainly not. With life vests & rafts, I believe they're allowed to operate up to 30 minutes' flying time from the coast.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos