gdg9

RE: Emirates Announces DXB-SEA, DXB-DFW

Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:45 pm

Quoting Drerx7 (Reply 39):
Emirates would not do it any other way.

It's good to see!

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 41):
DFW (unlike SEA) is a total no-brainer for EK. They should do well in the market.

I hope so! This is the only DFW-Mid East route of course.
@dfwtower

jacobin777

Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:51 pm

Quoting AAExecPlat (Reply 14):
And another great route opportunity gone for AA...DFW-DXB that is...

With what plane would AA fly to DXB with? It would really be pushing AA's B77E. Now ORD-DXB is a route I've been harping about for > 1/2 decade.

Quoting JAAlbert (Reply 30):
I can't wait for EK to begin A380 service to SAN. If SEA's on the list, surely SAN can't be far behind!

I don't think SAN will be capable with the Big Beast due to various airport/runway restrictions....maybe an A359XWB route down the line? I'm not even so sure if that will be possible.
"Up the Irons!"

Coronado990

Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:52 pm

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 43):
A 77W or 77L loaded for a trip to DXB could never get off the SAN runway.

It would have to be SAN-MAN-DXB with the 77W and might be a smart move on EK's part. Or they can convince Miramar to bring in the A380 there. It can handle it no problem.  Never-the-less, I bet EK has interest in this under served international market.
We're up.

BoeingGuy

Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:53 pm

Quoting hohd (Reply 46):
Many will be willing to drive 3 hours if the price is right.

Or if EK signs a partnership with AS, the can code share on the QX Q400s for the SEA-YVR flights.

FlyASAGuy2005

Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:54 pm

I predicted DFW not too long ago but was shot down by everyone..hmmm  
What gets measured gets done.

yellowtail

Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:54 pm

With DFW announced...I be curious to see if Ek drops some frequencies at IAH....With 2 flights...LFs have been struggling (albeit yields + cargo are still good) ..maybe take it to 12Xweekly

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 35):
Hadn't thought about that, but that's a good call. The cargo revenues on this flight should be substantial, though I'm still a bit surprised they're apparently putting a 77W on the case...
Quoting blueflyer (Reply 37):
On the cargo side, Amazon and Starbucks should be good for a few pallets each.

I would be boeing alone could fill the belly of that plane with spares going to DXB, BAH, DOH, Africa, India etc etc.

Quoting commavia (Reply 44):
Agreed. BA is obviously not going anywhere, and in a three-way contest between Lufthansa, Emirates and KLM, I definitely think KLM will be the first to blink. The resulting injection of new capacity to the Mid East, India and South Asia will pull traffic off of Lufthansa and KLM, but there is still enough residual traffic heading specifically to Europe, coupled with the connections that will still exist over Frankfurt/Amsterdam, that I think at least one of them should still be able to make DFW work - and I think that one airline is Lufthansa, not KLM.

This is where a smaller aircraft **cough cough** 788 **cough cough* would do well for KL or LH
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

wedgetail737

Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:07 pm

Quoting CargoLex (Reply 47):
I did wonder why a carrier like AI, 9W, or TG, or even DL, wouldn't be interested in offering service to India or SE Asia from SEA.

TG used to serve SEA back in the 1980's. I think TG used to fly A310's between Asia-SEA-YYZ. I'm surprised SEA doesn't have a carrier to HKG. I would hope CX would try the route perhaps with a 777-200ER.

kaitak

Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:10 pm

There's a big Indian population in Vancouver and that was probably a big factor; the airline will be looking to attract a fair bit of traffic from YVR; with the recent spat between Canada and the UAE, this is the best way for EK to tap that market.

It's been a pretty big year for EK as far as new city launches are concerned - Harare, Lusaka, DFW, SEA, a third US city and of course, Dublin. Is it my imagination or is this EK's biggest expansion in quite a while?

LAXDESI

Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:19 pm

Dallas(MSA) has an Indian population of about 100,000, which is 10,000 more than Houston MSA. Emirates should be able to garner a significant share of DFW-India market, which by my rule of thumb should be around 120,000 passengers annually(330 passengers daily). Does anyone have official numbers?

Seattle(MSA) has an Indian population of about 53,000, which by my rule of thumb should translate to nearly 60,000 passengers annually(160 daily) on SEA-India.

lightsaber

Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:21 pm

I guessed wrong.  

Kudoes to EK!   

Am I the only one who thinks that YVR will not be a significant source of feed for this EK flight? I was just at YVR and I was impressed by the variety of airlines that serve that pretty airport. While EK will have some better connections... Double hops do not tend to be popular.

Then again, India seems determined to keep the Korean airlines from expanding... So much of KE's 'natural competition' has been blunted.

Quoting goldenstate (Thread starter):
I didn't expect these two cities to be their next US destinations. Interesting.

Nor did I.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 7):
But Seattle and Dallas aren't it. One more U.S. city will be announced shortly:

Whew. We can keep speculating!  
Quoting dfwdfw (Reply 12):
EK just suprised us all.

Without a doubt.

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 31):
C A R G O

No doubt. SEA will make good money there.

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 55):
This is where a smaller aircraft **cough cough** 788 **cough cough* would do well for KL or LH

Or QR or EY... (once the 788 'grows into its promised range).

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

goldenstate
Topic Author

Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:24 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 7):
I am not surprised whatsoever, but I am surprised they come before Chicago, Miami and/or Washington.

Agree completely. These are good markets and EK will do well, but I didn't expect them so soon. Of course, EK has an analytical process on this whereas we do not. I suspect that to some extent, they think the established markets you mention are ferociously competitive and relatively mature, whereas DFW and SEA offer significant future growth which EK can pursue without trying to pry market share from competitors.

With respect to IAD and ATL, either of those would be the first direct competition to DXB between EK and a US carrier. I believe it is only a matter of time until that happens, but given that EK always seems to spark a debate about the purpose and benefits of open skies treaties between markets of vastly different sizes, there might be some political sensitivities there as well.

Quoting commavia (Reply 24):
Hardly. DFW-DXB was never an opportunity for AA - that is a market AA would never have flown. The way DFW was going to get a nonstop flight to the Mid East was always going to be either an Emirates or Etihad flight to either DXB or AUH, respectively.

I agree that DFW-DXB probably would not be a good route for AA, but AA is going to have to get in there one way or the other. Dubai is a market worth serving from the US; even without a major partner providing feed on the other end, there are healthy interline traffic opportunities over both EK and other carriers. It has become the region's primary transportation hub and continues to offer significant long term growth potential despite the immediate economic issues.

The other story is continued competitive encroachment into DFW. Given AA's market presence in North Texas, I'm sure they flow plenty of traffic to India over ORD and LHR. EK will inject significant capacity and drive down fares. Although I agree with your conclusion that KL and LH will be most impacted, EK's entry is not helpful to AA or BA either.

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 35):
I don't think EK needs to worry about AA...they're much, much more likely to launch this route first and even if they are the second carrier to arrive at the party, their product is going to win.

Emirates does a good job of running an airline and an exceptional job of building positive brand awareness. They understand the value of retail merchandising. They are tough to compete with but I would not consider them untouchable.

ck8msp

Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:28 pm

stupid question, but will the SEA flights go east or west?

SCL767

Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:29 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 57):
It's been a pretty big year for EK as far as new city launches are concerned - Harare, Lusaka, DFW, SEA, a third US city and of course, Dublin. Is it my imagination or is this EK's biggest expansion in quite a while?

Don't forget EK will soon add two new destinations in South America to its growing network. Starting in January, EK will launch DXB-GIG-EZE daily (B77W).

BoeingGuy

Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:41 pm

Quoting ck8msp (Reply 61):

Not a stupid question. I assume they will go over the pole.

canyonblue17

Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:42 pm

I'm waiting for DXB - PBI.....shouldn't be long now!
negative ghostrider the pattern is full

kaitak

Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:44 pm

Not a stupid question at all; I believe they actually go north first, over northern Canada, then over the pole, into Russia and down through Iran.

I wonder what effect the extra 777-200LR service will have on the A340-500 fleet; i.e. will the route that the 77L is taken off, be converted to a 345 (assuming its a ULR route)?

gdg9

Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:48 pm

Quoting jr (Reply 49):
This is also going to make KLM's "temporary" winter suspension of their AMS route to DFW permanent.

KLM apparently has these loaded up for summer schedule... I would have to wonder though... I think EK will hurt LH's India feed at DFW too.
@dfwtower

Malayil

Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:24 pm

This is fantastic news, now I'm hoping for EWR but that is a long shot. Hopefully they can convince the Indian government to allow them more access to India.

AirIndia

Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:28 pm

Quoting hohd (Reply 46):
SEA addition is the answer to Canada not allowing YVR flights. Many will be willing to drive 3 hours if the price is right.

YVR is a huge VFR market esp for North India.
SEA has a sizable Indian diaspora in and around

Now EK would hope for renewed negotiations with India or a strong partnership with th likes of IT/9W to feed into the DXB hub..... to boost loads onto the US sectors....

Quoting kaitak (Reply 65):

Not a stupid question at all; I believe they actually go north first, over northern Canada, then over the pole, into Russia and down through Iran.

They will go north, then south and end up in the east  

EricR

Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:32 pm

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 9):
Chicago have more competition for EK's core business.

Agreed. While Chicago is a large metro area with a lot of business traffic, there is a lot of competition. AA & AI have direct flights from ORD to India. RJ & EY have direct flights from ORD to the Middle East (not sure if QR still offers cargo service to ORD). SEA and DFW do not face this type of competition.

DFWHeavy

Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:01 pm

I understand EK has a few 77W that have a slightly higher MTOW. What is special about these planes? Is it just a paper change to increase thrust output or is it something more physical with the aircraft itself?

If it's just a thrust bump, couldn't they do more of their 77W in essentially a "matter of minutes" after paying the fee and receiving the proper paperwork?
Christopher W Slovacek

lightsaber

Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:08 pm

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 58):
Seattle(MSA) has an Indian population of about 53,000, which by my rule of thumb should translate to nearly 60,000 passengers annually(160 daily) on SEA-India.

Thank you for the numbers. SEA also has enough 'tech' to help fill the forward cabin. Then again, I expected SFO-DXB to be doing better in the premium cabin than what I've been reading.

Quoting canyonblue17 (Reply 64):
I'm waiting for DXB - PBI.....shouldn't be long now!

Quoting Malayil (Reply 67):
now I'm hoping for EWR but that is a long shot.

How is JFK doing? I would expect JFK to go 2X/day A388 prior to EWR. I think EWR will happen, just not before 2013.

EK will probably prove that prediction wrong next week.  

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

longhauler

Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:12 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 59):
Am I the only one who thinks that YVR will not be a significant source of feed for this EK flight?

I agree.

With many airlines already providing one stop service from YVR to India, I can't see the 3 hour drive plus Customs being all that attractive. It would have to be very very cheap. Notwithstanding, a trip through the United States would add another visa into the hassle.

Don't forget, UAE recently increased the costs of visitors visas for Canadians, making it less attractive as a transfer point. While they thought it was "retaliation" against Canadians, it really was a windfall for just about every other airline carrying Canadians from Canada to South Asia. (some people are just too stupid to dress themselves)
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

kiwiandrew

Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:13 pm

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 56):
I think TG used to fly A310's between Asia-SEA-YYZ.

I recall BKK-FUK-SEA-DFW with 747-200s. The A310's which TG inherited from the merger with Thai ( the domestic carrier) were, to the best of my knowledge, only ever used on domestic and regional services.

IrishAyes

Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:16 pm

WOW!!! What a great year for DFW! First QF, now EK! Way to go, North Texas

While I knew this was potentially on the horizon, I did not expect this to come so soon - certainly not after IAH went 2X daily, as I thought they'd have Texas pretty well-covered for now. I also expected EY before EK.

Quoting commavia (Reply 1):
This may be the straw that breaks the camel's back for KLM or Lufthansa, though - both airlines have struggled since AA/BA got their ATI/JV and bolstered DFW-LHR, and I'm not sure if the market will grow sufficiently large sufficiently quickly to support not only 8-9 daily flights to Europe, but also now a nonstop to the Mid East.
Quoting commavia (Reply 44):
I definitely think KLM will be the first to blink. The resulting injection of new capacity to the Mid East, India and South Asia will pull traffic off of Lufthansa and KLM, but there is still enough residual traffic heading specifically to Europe, coupled with the connections that will still exist over Frankfurt/Amsterdam, that I think at least one of them should still be able to make DFW work - and I think that one airline is Lufthansa, not KLM.
Quoting jr (Reply 49):
This is also going to make KLM's "temporary" winter suspension of their AMS route to DFW permanent.
Quoting gdg9 (Reply 66):
KLM apparently has these loaded up for summer schedule... I would have to wonder though... I think EK will hurt LH's India feed at DFW too.

These were the first thoughts to cross my mind. The KLM flights are expected to resume shortly after the EK flights begin. IF it does return for the summer, then it will be the "test period" to see if DFW can work as a seasonal market, or KLM may abandon it alltogether.

Unfortunately, the reality is that KLM is highly dependent on connecting traffic from DFW via AMS. With EK now in the game, alongside the strength of AA/BA AT, a non-daily flight, and without a huge SkyTeam hub to back it up, I am not entirely certain there is room for them. Who knows?

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 16):
How? The traffic flows that AA and EK would/will serve on DFW-DXB are totally different. AA's massive hub is at DFW and EK's is at DXB.

Exactly. If anything, AA should consider AUH and not DXB, assuming they could strengthen their ties with EY.

Quoting peanuts (Reply 17):
DL will have to restart non-stop US-India flights to remain viable against EK. (which ironically would also hurt its partner KL @ AMS).
East-Africa should also be on DL's to-do list. (e.g. NBO if issues get resolved).

Delta essentially has no US gateways to make this work, maybe except for DTW, which I do not see happening. They tried it from ATL and JFK to Bombay, both of which failed. MSP definitely not and SEA is out of the question now with EK. They've realized it's silly for them to chase after low-yielding Indian traffic when they can deploy their longer-range aircraft on far more profitable routes from their US hubs that aren't flooded with competition. The CDG and AMS transfer hubs work just fine for them, especially since they are connected to most major metropolitan US cities and the largest points in India.

There's a big Indian population in Vancouver and that was probably a big factor; the airline will be looking to attract a fair bit of traffic from YVR; with the recent spat between Canada and the UAE, this is the best way for EK to tap that market.

Yup. Definitely a pull here.

Quoting EricR (Reply 69):
Agreed. While Chicago is a large metro area with a lot of business traffic, there is a lot of competition. AA & AI have direct flights from ORD to India. RJ & EY have direct flights from ORD to the Middle East (not sure if QR still offers cargo service to ORD). SEA and DFW do not face this type of competition.

Agreed. ORD is VERY well covered by a plethora of Asian, European, Middle Eastern, and Indian subcontinent carriers (PK and AI). DFW and SEA are not.

longhauler

Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:18 pm

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 73):
The A310's which TG inherited from the merger with Thai ( the domestic carrier) were, to the best of my knowledge, only ever used on domestic and regional services.

Thai used A310-304s from SEA-YYZ-SEA to connect with their SEA-BKK flights.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Trevor Ogle

Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

FoxBravo

Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:21 pm

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 73):
I recall BKK-FUK-SEA-DFW with 747-200s. The A310's which TG inherited from the merger with Thai ( the domestic carrier) were, to the best of my knowledge, only ever used on domestic and regional services.

They did use A310s for a time on SEA-YYZ--I believe they were based in North America:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Trevor Ogle

Unusual route indeed!
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

FoxBravo

Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:22 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 75):

Ah, you beat me to it!

[Edited 2011-09-28 11:22:48]
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

HB-IWC

Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:24 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 55):
With DFW announced...I be curious to see if Ek drops some frequencies at IAH....With 2 flights...LFs have been struggling (albeit yields + cargo are still good) ..maybe take it to 12Xweekly

The new DFW flight will replace the second IAH flight, which is planned to stop operating when the DFW flight comes online. The DFW schedule EK221/222 is also a virtual copy of the EK213/214 rotation it will replace, with identical departure and arrival times at DXB. Last day of operation of EK213/214 is Jan 31. First day of operation of EK221/222 is Feb 02.

DFWHeavy

Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:29 pm

Houston is losing it's 2nd daily DXB flight  

I thought they were doing very well with both flights...is that not the case?
Christopher W Slovacek

seabosdca

Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:36 pm

Quoting DFWHeavy (Reply 70):
I understand EK has a few 77W that have a slightly higher MTOW. What is special about these planes? Is it just a paper change to increase thrust output or is it something more physical with the aircraft itself?

Nothing to do with thrust -- just some paperwork.

If it's just a thrust bump, couldn't they do more of their 77W in essentially a "matter of minutes" after paying the fee and receiving the proper paperwork?

It's "paying the fee" that's the hard part. Not cheap    .

BoeingGuy

Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:40 pm

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 80):

It's "paying the fee" that's the hard part. Not cheap .

A thrust bump also requires a software change in AIMS. They need to add the selections to the CDU Thrust Limit page.

sunrisevalley

Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:45 pm

With tongue firmly in cheek, how about EK flying the DFW-SYD sector for it's first around the world service to gazump QF who are still not able to do DFW-SYD without a stop.

yellowtail

Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:47 pm

Quoting DFWHeavy (Reply 79):
Houston is losing it's 2nd daily DXB flight  

I thought they were doing very well with both flights...is that not the case?

No 1. EK was doing very very well...incl Cargo. When EK added a second flight...the market did not really grow enough, so it just diluted the loads. Cargo still does well, but that can be taken care of other ways. add to that the QR competition and LH, UA, BA, AF, KL and even DL and SQ to a certain extent competition for the indian traffic and something have to give.

EK will be back with a second daily...of that i have no doubt...but they have to give the market some time to grow and settle down. In the meantime, the aircraft can make more profit elsewhere.

ukoverlander

Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:59 pm

Quoting goldenstate (Thread starter):
Emirates, the largest international airline, said it will add flights to Seattle and Dallas, taking the number of U.S. destinations served to six as it seeks to channel Asian and Middle Eastern traffic via its Dubai hub

I'm curious about the suggestion that EK can draw Asian traffic on flights to Seattle via Dubai? I suspect the focus here is really just connecting traffic from India rather than Asia in general.

For the great majority of destinations in Asia the shortest and most logical direction of travel for connecting travel to Seattle would be north-east bound (Tokyo being the most obvious connecting point) to Seattle - not west bound via Dubai. It would however work for traffic from India (for which there would probably be sufficient interest alone to justify the flight).
It would be a huge 'dog leg' for most other Asian countries, adding considerable distance and flying time for most passengers who would be looking at travelling to Seattle.

Great Circle Dubai - Seattle
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=DXB-SEA

Am I missing something here?

blink182

Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:05 pm

Quoting jr (Reply 49):

Its interesting that this comment has been regularly brought up in this thread, because either I'm a total idiot(has been confirmed many a time), or I just flat out disagree. I may be wrong, but if we're focusing on India here, I thought KL only served DEL, and hence may not be overly affected by EK's entry. They might take a hit to Africa if EK's fares are low enough to force KL out, but if anything, I think LH with its big network to India is more likely to take a hit than KL will. Should be interesting to see how things play out.

Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 78):
The new DFW flight will replace the second IAH flight, which is planned to stop operating when the DFW flight comes online. The DFW schedule EK221/222 is also a virtual copy of the EK213/214 rotation it will replace, with identical departure and arrival times at DXB. Last day of operation of EK213/214 is Jan 31. First day of operation of EK221/222 is Feb 02.

Actually, this sounds like EK is making IAH and DFW work as one by offering a morning flight out of Dallas and a later flight out of IAH. For marketing purposes, I would have assigned DFW 213/214 as 214 happens to be a long standing phone area code in Dallas.
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

sunrisevalley

Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:05 pm

At about 172 degrees of longitude apart their initial heading could be either direction depending on the forecast winds as is JFK-HKG.

RJAF

Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:14 pm

Congratulations to DFW and SEA! I believe this is the first Arab carrier ever to fly to these two destinations?
Chance favors the prepared mind

goldenstate
Topic Author

Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:15 pm

Quoting IrishAyes (Reply 74):
Delta essentially has no US gateways to make this work

New York is not a suitable gateway? The fact that the flight was pulled 2-3 years ago when US-India was flooded with capacity is not necessarily an indication that the gateway is inherently unsuitable or that the flight will never work. I agree that DL probably has better revenue opportunities elsewhere, at least in the forseeable future.

Quoting ukoverlander (Reply 84):
I'm curious about the suggestion that EK can draw Asian traffic on flights to Seattle via Dubai? I suspect the focus here is really just connecting traffic from India rather than Asia in general.

I think they probably meant the Indian subcontinent.

IrishAyes

Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:44 pm

Quoting goldenstate (Reply 88):
New York is not a suitable gateway? The fact that the flight was pulled 2-3 years ago when US-India was flooded with capacity is not necessarily an indication that the gateway is inherently unsuitable or that the flight will never work. I agree that DL probably has better revenue opportunities elsewhere, at least in the forseeable future.

NYC already has two airlines that serve nonstop to India: UA/CO (@EWR) and AI @ JFK. These two essentially pushed DL out of JFKBOM. In fact, IIRC, JFKBOM was tried twice - the first time it was shifted to ATL, then back to JFK, then halted altogether.

Combined with all of the other foreign flag carriers that fly into JFK, in addition to another Indian carrier (9W) there is no room, nor need, for another. One US legacy carrier and one Indian carrier flying nonstop on ULH routes, and these are routes that normally struggle to make $$ to begin with.

Quoting blink182 (Reply 85):
Its interesting that this comment has been regularly brought up in this thread, because either I'm a total idiot(has been confirmed many a time), or I just flat out disagree. I may be wrong, but if we're focusing on India here, I thought KL only served DEL, and hence may not be overly affected by EK's entry. They might take a hit to Africa if EK's fares are low enough to force KL out, but if anything, I think LH with its big network to India is more likely to take a hit than KL will. Should be interesting to see how things play out.

Well, it's not just DEL that KL has to lose. As you yourself mention, there are other regions sending DFW-bound traffic (Africa, Middle East in particular) that EK could swallow up easily. EK also has multiple schedules to secondary/tertiary cities in the Southeast Asia region that could make it a more attractive option for several reasons 1). reducing total travel time and 2) eliminating extra stops, i.e. going DFW-DXB-XXX instead of DFW-AMS-DEL-XXX.

Furthermore, KLM (and LH as well) have already taken a hit from AA/BA ATI and have seen decreases in traffic volumes YoY. Since a lot of the international traffic into DFW does hail from regions where EK is notorious for stealing market share from European legacy carriers, and is not particularly high-yielding traffic to begin with, it's natural to suspect it'll have a pretty large impact. At DFW, non-OW foreign flag carriers can barely sustain daily schedules to Europe.

You never can really tell at this point, but let's see where things go.

[Edited 2011-09-28 12:46:16]

bartond

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:06 pm

Quoting gdg9 (Reply 66):
Quoting jr (Reply 49):

Heck, BA's explosion at DFW has hurt both KL and LH's connecting traffic to the Middle East and India so EK entering the market should make both of those carriers' Indian traffic plummet. Unless they can grab lower-paying customers with cheaper flights, which won't keep a flight going for too long.

Should be interesting to see, but KL traffic for a few months this summer had surpassed that of LH, which was a big surprise. Overall I know LH has a stronger presence in the DFW area but KL was building a customer base. Hope they don't fall off the radar because of EK.

thomasphoto60

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:18 pm

Looks like IAH will be the sacrificial lamb here by losing it's morning flight, nice while it lasted.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/archives/dfw-airport/

[Edited 2011-09-28 13:26:53]
"Show me the Braniffs"

ordcargo

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:30 pm

We already have Emirates Cargo 744F flying it every thursday night, so hopefully soon we will get the passenger too here in ORD.

yellowtail

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:30 pm

Quoting thomasphoto60 (Reply 91):
Looks like IAH will be the sacrificial lamb here by losing it's morning flight, nice while it lasted,

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/archives/dfw-airport/

I note he says "borrow" so my bet the 2nd IAH will be back once they get some eqp. But I also bet QR is looking at this now thinking....jump on the 2Xdaily while they have the chance...maybe even Etihad.

kamloops

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:33 pm

Sounds Like Emirates has found away around the Canadian Government to service the Vancouver Market (High Population of Asian's & South East Asian's).

Won't be suprised if they team up with Quick Shuttle (Bus company providing transportation from Vancouver Airport to Seattle Airport), and offer a free bus ticket, just like the way they are offering a discounted or free visa if you book with Emirates or Ethiad Airways.

I am still happy that Canada has stayed firm on their choice, and are protecting Canadian Jobs.

thomasphoto60

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:43 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 93):
I note he says "borrow" so my bet the 2nd IAH will be back once they get some eqp

Good catch, I noticed that too, but it did not register. Keeping my fingers crossed.
"Show me the Braniffs"

SEA

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:49 pm

Very excited to see this new service to SEA. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of Alaska/Emirates code share for SEA connections.

ikramerica

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:56 pm

Which would only demonstrate that the Canadian government is correct and that EK is looking to poach customers for connecting to destinations already served one-stop by many carriers, Canadian, European and Asian, and that EK is not trying to meet an O&D demand that exists between the two nations.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

commavia

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:13 pm

Quoting thomasphoto60 (Reply 91):
Looks like IAH will be the sacrificial lamb here by losing it's morning flight, nice while it lasted.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/a...port/

Several things from that interview I find particularly interesting:

* They hope to "do a lot better perhaps than we would have done over the Houston hub" (whatever that means) with the "help and ... engagement" of AA ... I guess they're counting on plenty of interlining (which I agree is likely)

* As a DFW resident, I just love this quote: "Well, I must say, you're being a bit disingenuous to Dallas. It is a market in its own right. The notion that we serve the Dallas region from Houston was just not the case"  

* Also interesting, this may speak somewhat to the surprising sense of speed with which this has happened: "Our planners and our research group had been there and were saying this is a market we really need to take far more seriously and a lot quicker than we had intended in the past. So we decided that and Seattle would be the next two points in the U.S."

* Interesting to hear him quantify about 50-60% of the market as likely to be connections

* "It's only a question of time before the [777-300]ER gets onto Dallas."

* May well be hyperbole, but his surprisingly emphatic assertion that DFW could be a viable A380 candidate is also notable

AA777223

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:16 pm

Quoting ukoverlander (Reply 84):
Great Circle Dubai - Seattle
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=DXB-SEA

That is one heck of a polar route, if ever I saw one!
A318/19/20/21, A300, A332/3, A343/6, A388, L1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11, MD-80, B722, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9, B743/4/4M, B752/3, B762/3/4, B772/E/W, B788/9, F-100, CRJ-200/700/900, ERJ-135/145/175/190, DH-8, ATR-72, DO-328, BAE-146

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos