Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TK787
Topic Author

Turkish Aviation October 2011

Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:29 pm

Hello everyone,
Here were are again yet another thread about Turkish Aviation.
Busy summer is behind us and this is the time to for nice walks in the park, going to the movies or spend a bit more time in front of the computer and see what is going on in aviation business.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Hediye Akyuez

Here is a recap of some news from last month;
-There was a discussion about the other local carriers in Turkey and how they stack up against TK.
-Gazipasa airport, will it ever get extended to accommodate the likes of 320/737?
-TLV flights, how are they doing? Looking at TK schedule I see 319s, I guess drop in pax numbers?
-Future of 343s in TK fleet planning, realistically how many more years we will see them operating?
-TK's financial situation and how does the ever stronger dollar going to effect this?
-Only 1/3 capacity increase in 2012 at TK compared to 2011, which should ease the financials
-TK restarts flying to Libya
-IST-IAH a reality in 2012?
-DL goes back to 763ER on the JFK-IST route.
-We see the interior pics of the TK's 739ERs
-There was a big discussion about the mixed 321 fleet at TK, not good for brand identity.
-TK 77W gets a belly logo a la EK.
-LiveTV to become a reality on Transatlantic TK flights on 77W/333 fleet.
-TK has a new looking website

Also:
-TK to codeshare with Asiana on flights to Australia
-Atlasjet getting 3 x 321s recently?
-In terms of TK fleet; TK still to receive 3 x 333s, 14 x 321s, 15 x 739s, 20 x 738s and 3 x 332Fs and
also Turkish Government 332 should be ready shortly.
-How long can we see the 734s flying for TK? Looking at TK schedules, 734s fly to ADB, SIvas, Erzincan, Adana, BJV, Elazig, ASR, Alexandria and Diyarbakir. Can't they be replaced by the 319s?
-319s on the other hand fly to all over the place, like; Denizli, Agri, Urfa, Elazig, Erzurum, Turin, Sinop, Naples, Valencia, Bologna, ADB, Tirana, BEY, Batman, Lyon, Kiev, Sofia, AYT, Samsun, ATH, BRU, Muscat, Rostov, Ufa, TLV....
-Today, on Friday, 9 strong TK 343 fleet flew to ORD, DXB, ICN, BKK and Casablanca. Again, very underutilized. Also 77W fleet, now 12 strong flew to GRU, 2 x JFK, NRT, PVG, PEK, HKG.

And my final questions;
-How is the Comfort Class doing?
-EK to start SEA and DFW, (its 5th and 6th destinations in the US). What does that mean for TK?

Thank you so much for participating and keeping this thread informative and staying away from personal attacks or political nonsense.

Warm Welcome to ALL!

EddieDude

RE: Turkish Aviation October 2011

Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:13 am

Hello TK787.

Do you know if there is any progress regarding the IST-BCN-LatinAmerica flights that TK has indicated they want to launch?
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

LAXintl

Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:03 am

Another month and another thread.

Several bits of news from me.

o Turkish Technic has approved plans to expand a current hangar number 1 at IST to accommodate aircraft sizing up to A380. Facility renovation should be complete in 2014-2015 time frame.
(... is this a hint of THY fleet future???...)

o Turkish Technic is looking at opening a hangar facility at ADA. This would be the first MRO at the airport and could provide overflow facilities for THY narrow-body aircraft work, and additional capacity for 3rd party work particularly from nearby Middle East and Africa clients.

o Similarly Turkish Technic is considering a second narrow-body hangar at ESB primarily due to large number of locally based aircraft (AnadoluJet) which require services.

o By end of 2011 Do & Co will have 200 inflight chef’s assigned to THY, making it the “biggest flying chef fleet in the world”

o In recent onboard survey, 98% of passengers (amazing achievement) rated THY catering offerings positively. This compares to only 40% range in 2007, the year Do&Co partnered with THY.

o Coming years TK will see big focus on cargo. With 2/3 of global air-trade having the ability to easily transiting via Turkey, the ability to revive the ages old “Silk-Route” and provide connections between continents over Turkey will be further pursued. The opportunity combined with large home market and Turkey's very strategic location makes renewed focus on cargo a natural growth path to pursue.

o IATA continues pushing the Turkish CAA to improve capacity and slot usage at IST. Currently the airport averages 40-slots per hours. As comparison 1-runway LGW manages 53 movements hourly. Wholesale update of procedures and airspace configuration around Istanbul and greater Turkey is strongly encouraged.
Its estimated IST terminal capacity is around 40-million. Only means to reach such is either with larger aircraft, or more movements, with traffic demand thanks to THY growth being reliant on more movement at this time.

o In 2010, thanks to growing Turkish individual incomes, the propensity of travel for Istanbul residents reached 2.5, which is almost the Western European average. Gone are the day when people looked to buses. Now virtually everyone can fly, and taking trips domestically and abroad is a routine for many.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

wing

Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:48 am

Quoting TK787 (Thread starter):
How long can we see the 734s flying for TK?

This was the topic we talked last night while we were flying to Bodrum with one of my 737 Captain buddies.We used to fly the -400 while we were FO's in Pegasus back in 2000's,They were back bone of many companies and they were even considered the next generation back then.Now they are old,but still does the job allright,not having fancy IFE's but still flies safe.We talked about how rugged this airplane is compared to the state of the art fully computerized airplanes which brakes up in when it gets too cold,too hot,too wet etc.

One of the main reason -400's are still in fleet is the simulator.737 pilots(like all THY pilots) are required to fly the sim every 6 months,and we have only one -800 simulator,and we have more than 800 B737 pilots,İf you have both types simulators like we have here now,flying both simulators counts in the training because they are the same type.Basicly as long as at least one -400 is in the fleet we dont have to buy another simulator.

And one question from me.What do you guys think about the foreign pilots in THY and other Turkish carriers?What are pros and cons in your opinion?
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"

HB-IWC

Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:17 am

TK's latest B77W, TC-JJP, has been placed into revenue service this morning. First flight was TK1979 IST LHR. With this flight, all 12 TK-owned B77Ws are now in service, while the last 9W-owned B77W TC-JJD has left the active TK fleet on September 13.

NuD38

Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:49 pm

Quoting wing (Reply 3):
What do you guys think about the foreign pilots in THY and other Turkish carriers?What are pros and cons in your opinion?

This is what I was asking myself for a long time. On the one hand, we hear stories of young Turkish pilots who cannot find a chance to join TK due to lack of "good connections with the company". On the other hand, TK urgently looking for pilots (mostly captains) on the web page time to time.

My very first impression is that there is a planning mistake on managerial level. A long-term expansion planning would include training pilot candidates and arranging such assignments according to a plan. What I can see is that TK started to expand first and then looked for pilots. Here the foreign pilots enter into our equation.

Having foreign pilots is not a negative circumstance. I believe having diversity is a source of prosperity - as it is almost the case in all other situations (genetics, cuisine...) too. Interaction between pilots from different background would do nothing but increase overall quality (ceteris paribus). Even out-of-cockpit activities can influence the other. I am not saying one kind is better than the other one.

My recent chit chats on board with flight attendants opened up interesting insights. It might be fashion these years to talk good about foreign pilots but I can say almost all of them gave their opinion on one fact: "In general, it is a lot easier and less stressful to work with foreign pilots. They have less (almost no) caprice and ultimately friendly." I do not know if it is true but they convinced me that it is the situation.

But, we also keep hearing problems of Turkish pilots in the cabin. Most recently hired captains are the ones under the contracts and (again, from what I see and hear) they are under a lot of pressure. I remember the case of a B777 case to IST-JFK. Turkish Technik was putting a lot of pressure to Turkish pilot to convince the foreign captain pilot to not to turn back to IST after smelling a burned cable in the cabin after 45 from the take-off. Their contracts keep them in the company and to be a captain in the near future, TK plays it's cards harsh time to time.

I do not know if the benefits for foreign captains to make it more attractive to work with TK causes any inequalities. I recently read an article about a pilot from Canada who cannot work in Canada due to age restrictions (60) can work for TK until he is 65 years old and the catchy benefits he got by working with TK. Still, I do not know the details.

As a result, having foreign pilots is a positive development for TK. However, this should be done first, in a way that no Turkish pilots' way should be blocked to promote nor it is should be used as a mean of pressure and second, it should not create a positive discrimination towards any kind.

Oh, couldn't keep it short. Sorry...

NuD38

bahadir

Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Quoting wing (Reply 3):
And one question from me.What do you guys think about the foreign pilots in THY and other Turkish carriers?What are pros and cons in your opinion?

Just putting an application to Gulf airlines.. Qatar, Emirate, Ethiad, etc.. TK's interview practices are so old fashioned that they make me puke.. There are 400 hr foreign FOs flying in Turkey and I cannot get a freaking job with 4000+ and 15 years of flying experience..

Nuff said..
Earthbound misfit I

OA260

Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:42 pm

Thanks for the new thread and run down  
-TK 77W gets a belly logo a la EK.
-LiveTV to become a reality on Transatlantic TK flights on 77W/333 fleet.
-TK has a new looking website

Looks nice on the 77W . Also looking forward to the live TV and Wifi being available.

The new website is very user friendly and an improvement on the other one.

LAXintl

Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:43 pm

The more foreign staff the better.

It will help broaden the corporate culture and hopefully breakdown many archaic and regimented thinking processes that are still alive at THY.
Wanting to be a big global brand, its only natural that it should espouse to develop a broader global employee base and thinking process.
The experience and insight brought by foreigners can be valuable in helping with a diverse set of issues from safety to customer service.

And my comments apply not just to pilots, but other staff including senior management. I'd love to see foreign born executives. Also the idea of sending staff from Turkey to overseas stations is beyond its time. Hire more local staff members just like every other major airline does. THY is not the Turkish foreign ministry.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Tsveto4nik

Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

TLV flights, how are they doing? Looking at TK schedule I see 319s, I guess drop in pax numbers?

I was recently flying IST-TLV-IST... B738 and A320 return flight - both flights were fully packed... the only problem was delay on return flight - more than 2.5 hours...

TK787
Topic Author

Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:08 pm

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 1):
Do you know if there is any progress regarding the IST-BCN-LatinAmerica flights that TK has indicated they want to launch?

I have no official info on this one, but looking at general status of things I highly doubt this will happen;
-economic downturn in the world,
-TK's last financial statement
-Spanish FA+IB/BA would not allow this
-TK will have an uphill battle in Latin America as an unknown player
-Where is the metal?

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 8):
The experience and insight brought by foreigners can be valuable in helping with a diverse set of issues from safety to customer service.

And my comments apply not just to pilots, but other staff including senior management. I'd love to see foreign born executives. Also the idea of sending staff from Turkey to overseas stations is beyond its time. Hire more local staff members just like every other major airline does. THY is not the Turkish foreign ministry.

Agree 100%. TK should open up to foreign talent base; from top management, to FA's. If I remember correctly, TK let go some Japanese FA's that used to serve on the Japanese flights, why???
All this will improve the overall quality of TK just by simple competition.
Again, the playing field has to be fair to Turkish applicants. All employees should be hired on same requirements and should be compensated the same. I hear the foreign pilots getting paid in US dollars, if true, how much extra will this cost TK when taking into consideration fluctuations in the currency market? I hope they are getting paid in Liras and working as locals, meaning they have to rent their own apts. transporting themselves to work, no special treatments. (Unless it is really really hard to lure foreign workforce to TK, and there is a huge shortage)

Also in terms of pilots, right after the Jet 77Ws arrival and the decision to order 77Ws, TK sent some 100 pilots for 77W training in Germany (not sure about this one). I imagine most 77W pilots are Turkish at this point. Is this the case, or foreign pilots are flying all the types equally.
Thank you.

tcm

Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:57 pm

I totally agree with hiring local talent in outstations. Some of the TK station chiefs/country managers resemble mafia henchman or government bureaucrats of the 80s. TK claims to be global so it needs to act global as well.

In general terms, it seems to me that TK HRM (Human Resource Management) has serious shortcomings. IMHO, TK should be fully privatized. However, that has also pros and cons.

Finally, I would love to see Asian crews on TK flights to Asia but the current economic realities makes that a rather distant dream for the future.

EddieDude

Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:57 pm

Thanks for your opinion TK787. Maybe with the advent of planes such as the 789 or the A359XWB, we might see one day towards the end of the decade TK at MEX.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

tcm

Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:12 pm

First commercial plane to land in Tripoli since the establishment of a no-fly zone is the TK flight to Mitiga. Kudos TK, one strong part of TK is their flexibility and speed to react to events on the ground.

Link: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2011-10/01/c_131171510.htm

Also on Reuters: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...libya-flight-idUSTRE7901BV20111001

[Edited 2011-10-01 14:18:04]

777way

Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:33 am

ThereandBack

Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:10 pm

With the discussion regarding TK phasing out the A340's I was wondering if they would need to order more wide bodies after the removal of the 9? A340's they currently have. If they stopped sending wide body aircraft to places like AMS, LHR, MUC, etc and used A23X / 737 instead, would they have enough 77W and A332/333 to operate all the long haul routes or would they need to place an order for 9 A330 to make up for their absence?

Maybe it's about time thought long term and placed an order for the A350 or 787...

Turkish350XWB

Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:39 pm

Quoting ThereAndBack (Reply 15):
Maybe it's about time thought long term and placed an order for the A350 or 787...

We are awating this order for many years now. It's definitely time now. They will get problems getting early delivery slots... What are they waiting for?

777way

Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:44 pm

Rumor that PIA ex-Managing Director Cpt. Ijazz Haroon is to join TK as a pilot or in management position, he has sought early retirement from PK, although still employed with PIA he is neither allowed to fly their aircraft or travel with them as a passenger after unceremonious removal from the post due to the TK-PK proposed deal and having entered bad books of PIA employees and Unions due to it.

In one incident he was not allowed to board a domestic flight by the crew or not issued a boarding pass, after removal from MD position.

TK787
Topic Author

Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:28 am

Quoting ThereAndBack (Reply 15):
If they stopped sending wide body aircraft to places like AMS, LHR, MUC, etc and used A23X / 737 instead

Long time no see, nice to see you back here....
As you can imagine all those short European routes flights are done in between long haul flights. It is a very creative way to use Long Haul aircraft to do short hops instead of sitting at IST for their next long haul.
So a 343 can do a IST-LHR-IST-DEL-IST-ORD-IST-TLV-IST-IAD-IST and so on...

There will be an order for 787/350 but till then and when the first ones arrive, A343s are here to stay.

emrecan

Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:39 am

TK787
Topic Author

Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:30 pm

Quoting Tsveto4nik (Reply 9):
I was recently flying IST-TLV-IST... B738 and A320 return flight - both flights were fully packed...

According to todays HurriyetDailyNews there is a 27% drop in Israeli travelers to Turkey compared to 2010. Only 61,950 Israeli tourists visited Turkey between Jan-August 2011. But this number is offset by 1.4million Arabs during the same time. (1.2 mil last year, 912,000 in 2009)

ASA

Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:49 pm

Friends - I'll have about a 15 hour layover in our (this group) favorite city - in Oct end. 

Was wondering if you guys know which (or where are the) hotels does TK typically use for IST transit passengers. I am not planning to stay put in the hotel - but still would help in planning. I'll be in Istanbul from about 9 AM to midnight (JFK-IST-DAC). And how's the weather is that time of the year?

JU068

Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:55 am

It seems that IzAir is currently negotiating with Ljubljana airport about opening up flights from Istanbul. There was mention that Adria might discontinue its flights due to cost cutting measures.
I suppose that the airport doesn't want Turkish Airlines to have a monopoly. I wonder if there is room for both Turkish carriers on the relatively small Slovenian market?

tcm

Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:59 am

Quoting ASA (Reply 21):
Friends - I'll have about a 15 hour layover in our (this group) favorite city - in Oct end. 

Was wondering if you guys know which (or where are the) hotels does TK typically use for IST transit passengers. I am not planning to stay put in the hotel - but still would help in planning. I'll be in Istanbul from about 9 AM to midnight (JFK-IST-DAC). And how's the weather is that time of the year?

AFAIK, they use the Air Boss Hotel in Sefakoy for Y pax and the Marriott Courtyard in Halkali for J pax. The locations of both are reasonably close to the airport but are not particularly interesting neighborhoods. You can make use of the tram for commuting as Istanbul traffic can be horrendous. Weather wise, most probably cold and rainy by end of October, but these days you never know with the crazy weather patterns.

[Edited 2011-10-04 01:00:44]

leftyboarder

Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:36 am

Although by no means a very objective indicator, TK reviews on Skytrax lately have been getting more mand more positive. In fact the last 10 or so reviews there have all been very high, which might mean service on TK is getting better (and hopefully more consistent).

Also, DHMI released stats for end of Sep, showing IST reaching almost 28m pax. Year end might hit 37m, just unbelievable (just 8 years ago it was 12m!).

tk1244

Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:00 pm

A few questions:

- Turkish Airlines is offering Istantour or a stay at the hotel for international transfer passengers with long transfer time. What are the terms and conditions for a hotel room? The friend who flew recently to ISB requested a hotel at IST, but his request got denied. He has been told by TGS that a request like that isn't possible and when he referred to the website, they told him that it was an error. I can't find anything about it at the new website.

- Last year or so, Turkish Airlines announced the launch of SAW - RTM - SAW flights on daily basis with A320s. TK later delayed the launch for an unknown period of time. Is there any chance to see RTM being served by TK in the near (2012?) future?

- I'm hearing complaints about the Anadolujet product compared to its fares ("dolmus service with THY fares"). Since AJA has been created to reduce costs at ESB, I don't think TK will upgrade the product. But is it possible that TK decreases the fares for AJA flights?

- During the winter season, I mostly fly with XQ when going to Turkey. However, it is not possible to check in online for international flights. Why did they choose to introduce it only for domestic flights? Will XQ introduce online check in for international flights?

- A last question regarding the new government plane TC-TUR. When looking at several governmental planes, like those of France. You can see most of the bigger planes are second hand planes. For example, F-RADC is an ex-KTHY plane (TC-TMT). Did the government ever opted to purchase one of TK's A340's or any other used aircraft instead of a brand new A332? Just curious  
"The future is in the skies. For any nation that cannot defend its skies will never be confident of its future." Atatürk

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:37 pm

Quoting TK1244 (Reply 25):
- Turkish Airlines is offering Istantour or a stay at the hotel for international transfer passengers with long transfer time. What are the terms and conditions for a hotel room? The friend who flew recently to ISB requested a hotel at IST, but his request got denied. He has been told by TGS that a request like that isn't possible and when he referred to the website, they told him that it was an error. I can't find anything about it at the new website.

Never heard of free hotel rooms for long layover, but know about the free city tour;
http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-IN...or-all-our-transit-passengers.aspx
By the way, in 1986 when I flew on AF, IST-CDG-ANC, I was given a free shuttle to Paris, free room at the Meridien Hotel and a dinner voucher at the hotel restaurant, which was IIRC a $450 one-way ticket.

Did the government ever opted to purchase one of TK's A340's or any other used aircraft instead of a brand new A332?

I doubt that. This is a prestige decision I think, the cost might not be that important.
Does Turkish Government need a 332 on top of 319 and the Gulfstream? In this ever changing political turf wars, time will tell,
but....
I bet Airbus also sweetened the deal when TK ordered the recent 319s, 321s, 332Fs and 333s.
Hopefully this Government 332 will be around for more than 25-30 years with upgrades, I bet it is going to be a very handsome plane. Maybe we see the interior pics one day!

tcm

Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:16 pm

These are the terms and conditions:

If Turkish Airlines won’t be able to provide a connecting flight to the passengers according to the schedule at the same day or if the connection time is more than 10 hours (for business class passengers more than 7 hours), hotel service is given to the passengers with confirmed tickets unless fare note has a restriction. All segments of the ticket must be Turkish Airlines international flights and the reservations must be confirmed.The coherences of the terms and conditions of the ticket are checked in stopover point and also hotel voucher is prepared at stopover point.All the visa prosedure (obtaining visa and charging visa) must be done by the passenger.Unless Turkish Airlines is not responsible for accommodation.

For more information you can contact: HOTEL DESK +90 212 463 63 63 / ext. 12426-15532

tk1244

Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:52 pm

Quoting TK787 (Reply 26):
Never heard of free hotel rooms for long layover, but know about the free city tour;

I finally found a page with a similar text which I saw on the previous website, but it's from 2008. Maybe outdated?

Quote:
Passengers that arrive at our Istanbul terminal on connecting flights and have a layover for their outbound flights on the same day can either obtain a voucher for a complimentary daily stay in a hotel room or benefit from our new spectacular Istanbul tour accompanied by a special guide.

Source: turkishairlines.com

I doubt that. This is a prestige decision I think, the cost might not be that important.

No doubts about the sweetened deal of Airbus, explains why it was shown as a Turkish Airlines order at first.

Maybe we see the interior pics one day!

I hope so!
"The future is in the skies. For any nation that cannot defend its skies will never be confident of its future." Atatürk

tk1244

Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:00 pm

Quoting tcm (Reply 27):

Thank you for the information. That was the information I was looking for.

They arrived at Istanbul at 04:30 (Sunday 18 September 2011) with flight TK1956 and departed to Islamabad at 19:00 on same day with flight TK0710. That is more than 10 hours for economy. According to TK desk at AMS, their ticket had no restrictions or so.

Maybe its time to fill a complaint about the hotel desk?

tcm

Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:07 pm

Quoting TK1244 (Reply 29):
Maybe its time to fill a complaint about the hotel desk?

You are always welcome. However, don't forget that if there is a earlier connection available the hotel offer is not valid. BTW, In my experience complaints forwarded to the TK Social Media team are handled much better than Customer Services. You can use the e-mail posted on TK's official Facebook page. Good luck...

OA260

Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:29 pm

Quoting tcm (Reply 27):
These are the terms and conditions:

If Turkish Airlines won’t be able to provide a connecting flight to the passengers according to the schedule at the same day or if the connection time is more than 10 hours (for business class passengers more than 7 hours), hotel service is given to the passengers with confirmed tickets unless fare note has a restriction.

Thats always been a good benefit with TK. Some legacy carriers used to offer it also . Olympic Airways used to put people up at the Fenix hotel at ATH for Far East and Australia flights. Also Iberia offered it for a while. A few others I can't remember. I also nearly did a DUB-IST-ATH once as they were offering me a free hotel in IST but the dates didn't work out for me in the end but great for a short haul. If you timed it right you could have a full day in IST before flying out the next morning on the return.

tozbek

Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:32 pm

Here you are the 25th September 2011's Kokpit Aviation TV Program:

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbrIf6MwFgo
DHMİ General Manager Orhan Birdal talked to Kokpit about Turkey's new airport investments.

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krgsio2OftQ
Breitling Jet Team is coming to Istanbul on 16th of October

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_lCWPxepjg
A fantastic flight on Bosphorus with Turkey's oldest aircraft a Boeing Stearman...

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni-oyJNmcc4
First composite airlines 787 is delivering...

Tolga

mict

Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:34 pm

Does AnadoluJet deleted the BRU-ESB flight? I booked this flight few months ago but I can't found it... (booked for the 24 of december)

leftyboarder

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:34 am

tk1244

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:06 am

Quoting Mict (Reply 33):

AFAIK Anadolujet has dropped most/all international flights to and from ESB due to low LF. All flights will be restarted again in Summer 2012  

ASA

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:21 pm

Quoting tcm (Reply 23):

AFAIK, they use the Air Boss Hotel in Sefakoy for Y pax and the Marriott Courtyard in Halkali for J pax. The locations of both are reasonably close to the airport but are not particularly interesting neighborhoods. You can make use of the tram for commuting as Istanbul traffic can be horrendous. Weather wise, most probably cold and rainy by end of October, but these days you never know with the crazy weather patterns.

Thanks, tcm! I am not planning to sit around in the hotel by any means. If the hotel isn't close to public transport, I'll try to get a shuttle back to the airport - and get the Metro from there ... want to check out the Taksim area, and the obligatory visit to Sultanahmet square. Also, last time I was there, the Sulemaniye mosque was undergoing renovation - so this would be chance to go there. Looking forward to it and 'eat'  

gkirk

Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:37 pm

Jet2 starting Manchester-Istanbul flights 2 x weekly using 752 a.c
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

CRJ900X

Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:01 pm

Any indication when AtlasJet will choose between the Bombardier CSeries or the Airbus A320neo? I would assume that this aircraft order would go to Airbus, as the airline already operate a sizeable fleet.

Cheers,
CRJ900X

Lufthansa747

Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:05 am

Shockingly empty 77W TC-JJI last night HKG-IST. They must rely completely on Chinese tour groups on this route, it's always either overbooked or empty.

And these donkeys they source from the mainland (no offence to anybody) likely on rock bottom fares do no good to the nice new 777s, one idiot took out the toilet door ashtray because he had no idea how to open the door.
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

LIPZ

Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:41 am

According to Italy's Aviazione Civile Forum, Alitalia is targeting to add Rome-Ankara regular flight next year.
So far it's just a rumor anyway.

umit

Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:44 pm

Quoting wing (Reply 3):

As long as positions are filled by people who are above the averages/standart , cocpits must be open to every nationality and that should not be just in aviation in all other professionals . Look at USA , Orhan Pamuk is teaching in Colombia, I have a friend in Manhattan college heading the economics department , another very close friend of mine works in goodrich (that made the hoblle telescope) in very sensetive projects , there are many Turkish doctors in all over the word and of course bankers . You know better then us that there are many Turkish pilots flying in foreign airlines.

On the other hand it is difficult for me to say but I will say it anyway , as all other aviation enthuists I have gone thru all the accidents statistics/information /details of TK and except one, all of them relates to some kind of over confidence of the pilots or not following proper procedures (by the way this shortcomings are not just in aviation of course ) if this combination of nationalities bring some kind of improvement to the cocpit then it is really good.

What is your opinion ? it is the really one that counts .

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:43 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15196979
TK sends a 343 to pickup 37 wounded from Somalia, with 31 family members and 2 interpreters.
In a situation like this, I have seen a makeshift bed that takes up 3 seats and turns them into a bed, was this the case?

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:54 pm

Looking at IST radar I came across a TK A332 doing ATH-IST Thursday evening Istanbul time. Any idea what was that about?

leftyboarder

Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:08 am

Quoting TK787 (Reply 43):
Looking at IST radar I came across a TK A332 doing ATH-IST Thursday evening Istanbul time. Any idea what was that about?

The strike on Wednesday probably meant a lot of stranded pax that needed rebooking the next day.

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:10 am

Quoting leftyboarder (Reply 44):

Thank you, that makes sense.

-By the way, just out of cruiosity I was checking this out; TK route map;
http://www.turkishairlines.com/tr-TR/route_map/index.aspx
No JFK, and I still don't understand why they don't show CPT as an add on to JNB?

[Edited 2011-10-07 02:32:49]

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:44 am

TK postpones 739ER service till 2012?? by airlineroute.net.
http://airlineroute.net/2011/10/07/tk-73j-w11update/

leftyboarder

Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:45 am

You're welcome   I also find it odd why that route map can't be kept correct, like the JNB-CPT tag-on as you said.

Can't they do what AF did, like in http://www.airfrance.com/common/imag...pdf/en/reseau_prog/crp_usa_en.pdf? This looks amazing.

KLM747800THY

Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:07 am

İ am in Yerevan Armenia at the moment for holliday and so suprized bij the fact that there are so many Armenians wanting to go to Turkey. Any chances TK is planning flights to Yerevan? İ see a lot of potencial for this route. LA yerevan would do great. Probably the Turkish Armenian border should be opened first before flights ever start.

tk1244

Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:58 am

Quoting KLM747800THY (Reply 48):
Any chances TK is planning flights to Yerevan?

Wasn't TK already flying to Yerevan some time ago?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos