Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlyASAGuy2005
Topic Author

DL Launches Streaming TV/Movie Options W/GoGo

Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:38 pm

I mentioned that this was in the testing phases some months ago and it's finally went live as of the 30th. Can't find anything through the media channels but it was announced internally. I normally don't post about internal news until the customer is aware (that it's public).

From our employee portal page:

Quote:
Beginning Sept. 30, customers traveling aboard one of Delta’s 16 757-300 aircraft will have access to Entertainment on Demand - a new option which gives them the ability to choose from hundreds of movies and TV shows to rent and stream via their Flash Player-enabled laptop computers. Entertainment On Demand will be available via the new Delta Connect portal on these aircraft.

Prices start as low as $2.99 for TV shows and $3.99 for movies. And for the month of October, promotional prices of $.99 will even be offered for certain TV shows. With Entertainment on Demand, customers can rewind and pause the videos they purchase, and even finish watching them on the ground. It is not necessary for customers to purchase a Wi-Fi Internet session in order to use the service.

For awareness purposes, 757-300 aircraft with the Entertainment On Demand option will feature a customized decal promoting the availability of the service, as well as seatback instruction cards for customers. Flight attendants should direct customers to the seatback cards for complete information on how to use the service.

For those of you wondering what the "Delta Connect" portal is:

Quote:
On Sept. 30, Gogo and Delta will launch their new in-flight Wi-Fi portal - Delta Connect - on 757-300 aircraft. From the new and improved Delta Connect portal, you can purchase a Wi-Fi session, track your flight, shop, book a last minute hotel, make a restaurant reservation, rent a car before you land, catch up with the latest news and more!

To view a screen shot of the new Delta Connect in-flight Wi-Fi portal, click here.

The new Delta Connect portal will be progressively rolled out to Delta’s entire Wi-Fi equipped fleet in the coming months, but it is initially only available on the 757-300 fleet.

It's basically a new landing page from the generic green GoGo screen that you see when you open a web browser before paying for the wi-fi. DL will be the launch airline for the "Connect" portal.
What gets measured gets done.

washingtonian

RE: DL Launches Streaming TV/Movie Options W/GoGo

Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Cool idea...I wonder if this will slow down the system substantially though.

bomber996

Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:30 pm

What I want to know is how this is going to work. If any of you have ever used GoGo inflight Internet the speeds aren't very fast. I've had Pandora tell me numerous times while using GoGo that there was not enough speed to run the Pandora Application. How is something like Streaming Movies going to work when the speed is this slow?

Peace   
"We've recently upped our standards, so up yours." - Federal Aviation Administration

flashmeister

Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:40 pm

Quoting bomber996 (Reply 2):

What I want to know is how this is going to work. If any of you have ever used GoGo inflight Internet the speeds aren't very fast. I've had Pandora tell me numerous times while using GoGo that there was not enough speed to run the Pandora Application. How is something like Streaming Movies going to work when the speed is this slow?

I think the video server will have to be on the aircraft rather than relying on streaming from the ground. It wouldn't be that big of a deal to configure a small server to mount in the aircraft that has enough storage to handle these shows locally. Considering that a beefy laptop could probably handle the demand, it really wouldn't add all that much weight. Then, the content is updated on the ground by swapping hard drives or downloading new content from ground-based computers.

This is also consistent with the note that you don't have to purchase a Wi-Fi internet session in order to purchase streaming content.

jetlanta

Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:51 pm

Quoting flashmeister (Reply 3):
I think the video server will have to be on the aircraft rather than relying on streaming from the ground. It wouldn't be that big of a deal to configure a small server to mount in the aircraft that has enough storage to handle these shows locally. Considering that a beefy laptop could probably handle the demand, it really wouldn't add all that much weight. Then, the content is updated on the ground by swapping hard drives or downloading new content from ground-based computers.

This is also consistent with the note that you don't have to purchase a Wi-Fi internet session in order to purchase streaming content.

You got it. Great advancement.

diverdave

Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:54 pm

Flash player enabled.   So much for my Ipad.

David

FlyASAGuy2005
Topic Author

Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:22 pm

Quoting diverdave (Reply 5):
Flash player enabled. So much for my Ipad.

David

Yes, unfortunately the technology is in its infancy and does not support tablets, etc. but it is already in the works.

flashmeister

Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:33 pm

Quoting diverdave (Reply 5):
Flash player enabled.   So much for my Ipad.

This is a more important point than it may seem... Flash is notoriously power hungry. WiFi + Flash Player for a 2 hour mobie is certain to cause quite the battery drain. DL doesn't seem to offer in-flight power on their 753s, at least in Coach.

n7371f

Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:42 pm

Quoting flashmeister (Reply 7):
This is a more important point than it may seem... Flash is notoriously power hungry. WiFi + Flash Player for a 2 hour mobie is certain to cause quite the battery drain. DL doesn't seem to offer in-flight power on their 753s, at least in Coach.

There is no power, period. And no plans for it either. The 753's have seen nothing added to them since the merger, except leather.

jetjack74

Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:05 pm

It's fitting that we offer this service on the aircraft of least comfort
Made from jets!

burnsie28

Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:49 am

Quoting bomber996 (Reply 2):

I have heard people say that but every time that I have used gogo the speeds have been great and have been able to watch streaming video and download movies as if I was on the ground.

Quoting jetjack74 (Reply 9):

I would argue that award goes to the MD-90 and 737

The placards for this service should be put on-board soon, designed by yours truly.

FlyASAGuy2005
Topic Author

Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:26 am

Quoting burnsie28 (Reply 10):

Ill jump in LOL. To date, I've found the most uncomfortable a/c to be the 737s in coach. Ill take a PMDL 75 in F or the new 88/90 F seats over everything else.

n7371f

Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:31 am

I have heard people say that but every time that I have used gogo the speeds have been great and have been able to watch streaming video and download movies as if I was on the ground.

But isn't that because the files are actually stored on a server on the plane & then delivered via the wi-fi network within the plane? My understanding is there is no ground-to-air cellular transfer for this streaming movie, etc. service. Maybe I misunderstood...

Transpac787

Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:12 am

Isn't it true you have to be in a wifi zone for the entertainment to work??

What about the flights to Hawaii, which are the 753's longest sectors?? Will it just be useless on those flights??

n7371f

Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:27 am

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 13):
What about the flights to Hawaii, which are the 753's longest sectors?? Will it just be useless on those flights??

See my post directly above. If I'm understanding the system the way it was explained to me, no, you do not need ground-to-air connection - the wi-fi zone is strictly within the aircraft.

michman

Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:49 am

I've tried it during the promo periods when it was free, and it was pretty slow. I'm sure the fact that it was free was probably a factor. I think you really need the server on-board that gogo is using in the trial to get a consistent user experience. The other benefit of having the server on-board is that it will work over water on the HNL trips (as mentioned above).

[Edited 2011-10-04 21:52:23]

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:13 pm

Quoting michman (Reply 15):
I've tried it during the promo periods when it was free, and it was pretty slow. I'm sure the fact that it was free was probably a factor. I think you really need the server on-board that gogo is using in the trial to get a consistent user experience. The other benefit of having the server on-board is that it will work over water on the HNL trips (as mentioned above).

Yes, the gogo wifi system is generally pretty good speed. Paid users get a better connection than the free promotions. Yes service was very slow last year when DL/google ran the free promo over the holidays but that is not indicative of how the service generally performs.

It will be interesting to see how this new service works for what is essentially paid on-demand content.

panamair

Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:08 pm

Official press release:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Delta-...ed-prnews-2805993345.html?x=0&.v=1

Also
- A330s will get up to 150% more AVOD content by end of 2011
- Ability to use tablets and mobile devices coming in 2012
- Rentals to remain accessible on the ground for viewing for at least 24 hours after flight

OA412

Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:34 pm

Quoting panamair (Reply 17):

Wow. Very nice. PR also says that the improved AVOD offering on the A330s is slated to be offered on all 300 aircraft with AVOD by mid-2012.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

burnsie28

Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:04 pm

Quoting n7371f (Reply 12):
But isn't that because the files are actually stored on a server on the plane & then delivered via the wi-fi network within the plane? My understanding is there is no ground-to-air cellular transfer for this streaming movie, etc. service. Maybe I misunderstood...

I was downloading movies through iTunes when I was doing it.

timf

Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:21 pm

I haven't had much luck with streaming video on GoGo. I tried using HBO GO once and while it would work for about 5 minutes, it would eventually cut out saying there wasn't enough bandwidth and I had to exit out and start over. I also haven't had much luck with embedded video clips. However, streaming audio works so that's generally what I stick with.

b727fa

Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:21 pm

Quoting jetjack74 (Reply 9):

It's a quick way to get some pseudo-AVOD that isn't seat replacement dependent on our a/c w/o the PVOD.

More and more pax are carrying their own systems and the in-seat isn't THE only way people can/will enjoy media anymore.

It's a cheap fix.

And, it is preloaded on the a/c so it will not be dependent on the GoGo system.

Enjoy!
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

jetjack74

Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:43 pm

I think it's a great idea. Of all the times i've heard "Is that the only movie you have?" Or "We saw that one on the way out" thing is what they always whine about. Well, now there are options. And it's cheaper than the movies we have on the VOD configured 737/757/767 aircraft. Good value I think
Made from jets!

FlyASAGuy2005
Topic Author

Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:06 pm

Quoting jetjack74 (Reply 22):

If it's one thing i've learned since 2007, it's DL's cost disciplines. In this or any industry, you can't be everything to everyone all the while doing right by your investors. I think this is a great move. What I would LOVE to know is when they will complete cabin mods. I'm not talking about flatbeds but the simple stuff like the new PSUs on the 757s, sidewalls, etc. It's still hit and miss. On some a/c like the 75Xs, the sidewalls along with the new cabin lighting is complete but the old PSUs with the brown F/A call button. Others, everything's complete.

UAL-Fan

Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:26 pm

I am so happy I have an android based tablet that just installed flash 11. The non-apple people are good to go. 

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:36 pm

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 23):
I'm not talking about flatbeds but the simple stuff like the new PSUs on the 757s, sidewalls, etc. It's still hit and miss. On some a/c like the 75Xs, the sidewalls along with the new cabin lighting is complete but the old PSUs with the brown F/A call button. Others, everything's complete.

A lot of capex projects have been cut back in the past year due to the changing economic situation. DL slashed a number of capex projects that didn't have a suitable ROI. Flatbeds will increase revenue generation, slidewalls and call buttons are much more cosmetic in nature and much lower priority.

jetjack74

Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:39 pm

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 23):
If it's one thing i've learned since 2007, it's DL's cost disciplines. In this or any industry, you can't be everything to everyone all the while doing right by your investors.

That's one of the biggest complaints we hear from customers, that the lack of consistency on short haul vs long haul. I had a woman complain that she had the VOD from HSV-ATL, but on the ATL-NRT on the 747(when ATL had the satellite base) they had crappy movies. And I had no answer, except that we're in transition, and that it'll take time. That was 3 years ago, and we're now just getting to redoing the interiors on the 747 fleet. But they need make up their minds and concentrate on COMPLETION of a mods one fleet and then move on to the next. But this "little bit of each" mods are just moving at a snails pace. Not good when the rankings come out. Great innovation, but each flight is like a door prize, you never know what you're going to get.
Made from jets!

DesertFlyer

Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:39 pm

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 6):
Yes, unfortunately the technology is in its infancy and does not support tablets, etc. but it is already in the works.

Really, the only tablet that isn't supported is the iPad and iPad 2. Any Android tablet should be able to use the service.

ikramerica

Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:19 am

Quoting DesertFlyer (Reply 27):
Really, the only tablet that isn't supported is the iPad and iPad 2. Any Android tablet should be able to use the service.

And last for less than 2 hours. Watching full flash video for any period of time on anything sucks up battery.

Anyway, it does not sound as if tablets are supported yet even if they are android.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

ha763

Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:55 am

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 28):
Quoting DesertFlyer (Reply 27):

And last for less than 2 hours. Watching full flash video for any period of time on anything sucks up battery.

Anyway, it does not sound as if tablets are supported yet even if they are android.

Watching any videos, especially at full screen, will tend to eat up your battery. I used to take my laptop, which had approximately 4 hours of battery life, on flights to watch videos. 1 DVD or 2 hours of anime later, I would have somewhere in the high teens to low 20% range of battery life left. So, when I'm half way between Hawaii and the West Coast, I had to stop using my laptop for videos. My netbook is better in that it has nearly 8 hours of battery life and it will last the entire flight watching videos.

I figured that since Android has flash support, it should be able to run the EOD system. However, I found out that you need to install a plug-in to connect to the system. This is what is stopping Android devices from using the system. This link is a review of the GoGo EOD system on AA and has a couple of pictures showing the system in action.

FL787

Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:47 am

This system will only be available where the internet service works (continental US). I'm pretty sure it's because there would be no way to verify the payment info if the system couldn't connect to the ground.

DesertFlyer

Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:05 am

Not really the case with current tablets. That was true at one point in time.

Quoting ha763 (Reply 29):
However, I found out that you need to install a plug-in to connect to the system. This is what is stopping Android devices from using the system.

This is unfortunate. I'm not sure what they have to gain by making users install software. Perhaps it's due to the distribution method.

silentbob

Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:12 am

Anything that isn't apple works fine. It's easier to say that tablets don't work when 75% of the tablets in use are apple and will not work.

delta2ual

Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:06 pm

Quoting flashmeister (Reply 7):
This is a more important point than it may seem... Flash is notoriously power hungry. WiFi + Flash Player for a 2 hour mobie is certain to cause quite the battery drain.

I'm certainly no computer geek, but my Galaxy Samsung tab has flash, and I get alot more than 2 hours.
From the world's largest airline-to the world's largest airline. Delta2ual

usairways85

Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:39 pm

As I say with all of these WiFI/AVOD advancements the aircraft better have AC outlets. My laptop is good for 2 hrs on normal usage, start watching a movie and I'm sure it will drop a bit.

Also are those prices per show/per movie or for all the TV content or all of the movie content?

ikramerica

Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:04 pm

Quoting delta2ual (Reply 33):
I'm certainly no computer geek, but my Galaxy Samsung tab has flash, and I get alot more than 2 hours.

You get "a lot" more than 2 hours watching flash video streamed over wifi?

I doubt it. The Tab only gets about 6-6.5 hours of playback of a hardware accelerated h.264 file stored locally with all radios off. Playing a less efficient Flash movie over wifi will cut that time in half or worse. But I guess that's sufficient for most flights, just don't expect to have any battery left on arrival.

Anyway, the limitation on "no tablets" (or phones I assume) for this system right now seems to be the lack of the proper plugin to run the website needed to access the movies, not that iPads don't have flash.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

delta2ual

Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:27 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 35):
You get "a lot" more than 2 hours watching flash video streamed over wifi?

I doubt it.

ok.
From the world's largest airline-to the world's largest airline. Delta2ual

b727fa

Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:40 pm

Quoting FL787 (Reply 30):

This system will only be available where the internet service works (continental US). I'm pretty sure it's because there would be no way to verify the payment info if the system couldn't connect to the ground.

It's the same as the M2 devices. We don't actually "run" the cards until we get to the ground and they're transmitted to a server/processor. The EOD service will be "good" for up to 100 miles off shore...so it's not directly tied to the gogo system.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

FlyASAGuy2005
Topic Author

Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:01 pm

Quoting usairways85 (Reply 34):
Also are those prices per show/per movie or for all the TV content or all of the movie content?

That would be giving away the farm. I'm 99.99% sure that prices listed is per show/movie.

DesertFlyer

Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:21 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 35):
The Tab only gets about 6-6.5 hours of playback of a hardware accelerated h.264 file stored locally with all radios off. Playing a less efficient Flash movie over wifi will cut that time in half or worse.

It's not really worth arguing about it anymore, but Flash is a container, and the video is still probably h.264 within that container (as most web Flash video is). Flash on Android allows this video to be accelerated. With a strong wifi signal, and h.264 based Flash video, you should expect much more than ~2 hours of video streaming on a Galaxy 10.1.

usairways85

Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:40 pm

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 38):
That would be giving away the farm. I'm 99.99% sure that prices listed is per show/movie.

Many people cried foul when CO recently upped it's Directv prices to $7.99, and thats for unlimited TV content for 3+ hours. If these prices are per show/movie "Thanks, but no thanks" I'll find my own content

FlyASAGuy2005
Topic Author

Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:48 pm

Quoting usairways85 (Reply 40):
Many people cried foul when CO recently upped it's Directv prices to $7.99, and thats for unlimited TV content for 3+ hours. If these prices are per show/movie "Thanks, but no thanks" I'll find my own content

Sure, and that's the point I guess. People will either pay for it or they won't. In the end, it's just like food. I don't understand why people complain about the cost of BOB with various airlines when they can bring food with them. In fact, it's standard verbage in DL gate announcements to state that passengers are more than welcome to carry their own food and beverages onboard.

I look at this in the same light. If you already have a laptop with you, I don't think it's unreasonable to bring one or two of your favorite DVDs with you. Most do this already anyway. This is just icing on the cake.

SkyTeamTriStar

Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:27 am

Why has DL singled-out the B753 fleet? Help me understand something that I'm not understanding? Will Delta Connect be avail to the remaining fleets, soon?

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:40 pm

The 753 was likely choosen because it is a relatively small sub-fleet (16 frames) of new, modern aircraft, that are on predominately on high-density routes and mid-con flights. While still a narrowbody, but with 224 seats DL used them essentially as domestic widebody equipment as they're only 20-30 seats less than the 76P/Q, 764, and A332.

They're used primarily on routes like
MSP-SEA, LAX, MCO
DTW-MSP, ATL, LAS, MCO
ATL-MCO, FLL, LAS
SEA-HNL
LAX-HNL

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos