santos
Topic Author

EasyJet To Start London Gatwick-Kefalonia

Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:41 am

U2 is to start three-times-weekly from LGW to EFL on the 28th April 2012.
This will bring the destinations by U2 from LGW to a total of 92. Impressive.
I think EFL is a new airport for U2.

So far they have announced 5 other routes for next year.
London Southend to Jersey - starts flying 02 May 2012
London Luton to Corfu - starts flying 31 March 2012
Bristol to Naples - starts flying 12 May 2012
Edinburgh to Naples - starts flying 18 April 2012
Edinburgh to Dalaman - starts flying 17 April 2012

http://corporate.easyjet.com/media/l...2011/03-10-2011-en.aspx?sc_lang=en

sam1987

RE: EasyJet To Start London Gatwick-Kefalonia

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:53 am

Quoting santos (Thread starter):
This will bring the destinations by U2 from LGW to a total of 92. Impressive.

How many aircraft will they have at LGW next summer? I know they have 46 this summer, and I wouldn't be surprised to see 50 aircraft serving 100 destinations soon.

It completely overshadows BA's 22 short haul aircraft....
Next flights: LGW-LBA-LGW, LHR-SIN-SYD, SYD-BKK-LHR, LGW-GRO, GRO-CIA, CIA-MAD, MAD-LGW

Humberside

Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:26 pm

Quoting santos (Thread starter):
So far they have announced 5 other routes for next year.
London Southend to Jersey - starts flying 02 May 2012

Plus SEN-AMS/BFS/BCN/AGP/ALC/FAO/IBZ/PMI
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

richardw

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:03 pm

Will EZY start flights to Tivat or Podgorica?

sam1987

Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:37 pm

Quoting richardw (Reply 3):
Tivat or Podgorica?

Where?!
Next flights: LGW-LBA-LGW, LHR-SIN-SYD, SYD-BKK-LHR, LGW-GRO, GRO-CIA, CIA-MAD, MAD-LGW

eicvd

Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:50 pm

Quoting sam1987 (Reply 4):
Where?!

Montenegro, Tivat is a quite popular resort for the Russians.
COYBIB

sam1987

Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:38 pm

Quoting eicvd (Reply 5):

Fairly unlikely that U2 will operate there then....

I wouldn't be surprised for them to further fill the gaps of their LGW network. There aren't many gaps left - ARN, JER, VAR, PRN, TIR.... any others??

LGWflyer

Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:45 pm

Quoting sam1987 (Reply 6):
Quoting eicvd (Reply 5):

Fairly unlikely that U2 will operate there then....

Montenegro Airlines is leaving LGW towards the end of October. Maybe U2 could take that route...
3 words... I Love Aviation!!!

shamrock350

Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:48 pm

Quoting sam1987 (Reply 1):
It completely overshadows BA's 22 short haul aircraft....

I think BA was recently featured on that Sky1 documentary, Inside Gatwick which had an episode focusing on BA's operation at the airport and they said BA is aiming to be back as the number one airline at LGW or something along those lines. To say they have an uphill battle is an understatement against those easyJet numbers.

LGWflyer

Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:52 pm

Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 8):

I think BA was recently featured on that Sky1 documentary, Inside Gatwick which had an episode focusing on BA's operation at the airport and they said BA is aiming to be back as the number one airline at LGW or something along those lines. To say they have an uphill battle is an understatement against those easyJet numbers.

Yes last week's episode. I cannot see how BA will increase operations when only recently they have gotten rid of a few routes. Plus as you and many others say BA are fighting a losing battle with the amount of routes and aircraft. LGW is basically orange... period!
3 words... I Love Aviation!!!

richardw

Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:15 am

There are a significant number of people in the LGW catchment area who just don't fly charter and no frills airlines and as the economy grows they'll want to fly more and BA will want to satisfy this demand.

GT4EZY

Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:57 am

Quoting richardw (Reply 10):
There are a significant number of people in the LGW catchment area who just don't fly charter and no frills airlines and as the economy grows they'll want to fly more and BA will want to satisfy this demand.

Keep telling yourself that. BA had begun stripping away at LGW long before the economic downturn and it's become a largely leisure orientated base. i.e flights that can't be justified utilising a valuable LHR slot. Leisure long haul might see one or two extra flights but otherwise LGW is Orange as someone else put it. Don't take this as employee bias but fact.
Proud to fly from Manchester!

richardw

Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Quoting GT4EZY (Reply 11):
BA had begun stripping away at LGW long before the economic downturn and it's become a largely leisure orientated base.

Yes, I'm aware of that and Orange is dominating at LGW and BA is unlikely to return to the size that it has been in the past.

U2 has provided healthy competition at LGW but if another airline observes they are monopolising a route there may be a response.

U2 has enjoyed a brief monopoly on LGW-BCN, but this has ended with Monarch starting the route.

BA has also extended its summer seasonal flights from LGW-IBZ for S11 to include October, S10 it ended them 30th September, there must be some additional demand for Club class or BA wouldn't bother.

You are biased GT4EZY and I acknowledge your comments in a biased context.

[Edited 2011-10-12 06:51:38]

[Edited 2011-10-12 06:54:43]

GT4EZY

Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:13 pm

Quoting richardw (Reply 12):
You are biased GT4EZY and I acknowledge your comments in a biased context.

Not at all. I'm ex GB Airways and despite enjoying being Easyjet (most of the time), I still miss them and part of me is still blue, red and white.

Quoting richardw (Reply 12):
BA has also extended its summer seasonal flights from LGW-IBZ for S11 to include October, S10 it ended them 30th September, there must be some additional demand for Club class or BA wouldn't bother.

Of course there are club passengers out there but on routes such as IBZ club loads are generally small and marginal in terms of yield. In the last few years, GB only had 4 rows of convertor seats and on a large amount of flights only 2 rows were utilised. Being leisure orientated at LGW these days, BA operate to several of the ex GB destinations and I imagine the scenario is similar. Indeed, pre-takeover BA and GB were looking at a one class short haul network for LGW.

There will always be demand for BA, even on bucket and spade routes, but not enough. You know aswell as I do that on these routes BA are very competitive and there is a reason for that. On short haul, the vast majority of the market prefer to forgoe the perks of flying BA etc for a cheaper fare with a LCC/Charter. And despite some legacies being competitive on some routes, more often than not they are cheaper, even with a bag charge.

BA could launch LGW-major European Cities but that goes against LHR and the route strategy for LGW in recent years. This would increase yields when compared to the leisure routes and Club Europe loads may increase. However, LGW is slot restricted and such routes would require frequency. Whether BA could match Easyjet's frequency on some of the major European City pairs, we would have to see.

I'm not being biased at all in my assessment. In recent years BA has shrunk at the same time as EZY has expanded. I find it hard to believe that BA shrunk at LGW because of EZY and, whether you think that was the right or wrong thing to do, that was BA's decision. With that in mind, what has changed for BA in the last few years?

richardw

Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:03 pm

Quoting GT4EZY (Reply 13):
On short haul, the vast majority of the market prefer to forgoe the perks of flying BA etc for a cheaper fare with a LCC/Charter.

There are some that are not price conscience, like the former Bond girl actress and the pop star that were in Club class with me five years ago flying BA LGW-BCN, the loads were about 17 club passengers each sector. Perhaps they now fly to BCN on BA from LHR or LCY, I doubt they are on U2. It is a minority market though and I'm not sure what the demand profile for BA would be like in say 2020 and if BA will have replaced the B737s

Quoting GT4EZY (Reply 13):
And despite some legacies being competitive on some routes, more often than not they are cheaper, even with a bag charge.
LGW-CTA comparison

U2

London Gatwick to Catania (Sicily)
Dep 26 November 2011 13:10
Arr 26 November 2011 17:10
Flight 8567
1 Adult

Luggage
1 Cases

20kg total combined weight.

Pay by Debit Card: £70.99

BA

Outbound - Saturday 26 Nov, 2011
£ 64.70
10:15
26 Nov 14:20
26 Nov Gatwick (London) Catania BA2594
British Airways Euro Traveller

BA is currently cheaper.

You read the U2 Staff Intranet which may unknowlingly affect your objectivity.

[Edited 2011-10-12 11:19:14]

GT4EZY

Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:20 pm

Anyone could pluck a flight as a comparison. Just like I could pick a city pair where by Easyjet is cheaper. Does that mean that my argument has been proven? No of course not. We'd need a lot more routes to make a fair assessment. Plucking out LGW-CTA is futile. And i've never said that BA are never cheaper.

However, it is my argument that Easyjet are generally cheaper. I've seen fares that have been cheaper by a fiver, fares by a couple of hundred quid and everything in between. I don't subscribe to the notion that everyone makes a bee-line to Easyjet with the conviction that they are the cheapest. We live in a very savvy/consumer era where people swap energy suppliers on a semi-regular basis and swap or ISA's and bank accounts to take advantage of better rates of interest and to avoid bank charges. The consumer isn't thick and it's my belief that EZY is doing something right in the same way that BA does well in it's core competency which is hub and spoke out of LHR.

Quoting richardw (Reply 14):
It is a minority market though and I'm not sure what the demand profile for BA would be like in say 2020 and if BA will have replaced the B737s

Absolutely and does that mean it is always profitable? In some cases maybe but ex LGW when, around 5 years ago, they were offering cheap upgrades at check in, i don't think so.

Quoting richardw (Reply 14):
I doubt they are on U2.

Oh I wouldn't be so sure. I'm not LGW based but we get to hear who uses Easy around the network. In the last year we've had several Royals, the UK's prime minister and an array of celebrities of varying stature. When i first joined it surprised me too.

[Edited 2011-10-12 11:22:41]

DunaA320

Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:04 am

Quoting GT4EZY (Reply 15):
I'm not LGW based but we get to hear who uses Easy around the network. In the last year we've had several Royals, the UK's prime minister and an array of celebrities of varying stature. When i first joined it surprised me too.

We had Zara Phillips and Mike Tindall on Tuesdays late Paphos this week. Recently David Cameron, Prince Harry on an EDI and Snoop Dogg on an IBZ.

wellies

Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:24 am

Quoting sam1987 (Reply 4):

Have you not seen the Tivat videos on YouTube?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkJ6zayr-Qg&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSCB8z2_o00&sns=em

Went to KEF in May with TOM, similar spotting there too! Although nothing bigger than ZB's 763's when I was there. It'll be interesting to see how U2 do with the route, lovely little island. And talking of celebs, Simon Pegg was in the row behind me on the way back to LGW!

adriaticflight

Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:27 am

Lets not forget that BA depends alot on connecting traffic. If BA was to significantly increase the number of Euro routes they would have little to no connecting traffic. Appart from Scotland and the few other English destinations served domestically they wouldn't offer much competition to other European based airlines. Geography plays against us when it comes to Euro connectivity. Appart from Portugal/Spain to Scandinavia or Russia there are not many routes that are fastest served via London in europe. Compared to Amsterdam, Zurich, Munich, Vienna or Frankfurt Gatwick is not a great choice for connections. Unfortuneatly Gatwick's destiny is point-to-point and leisure traffic.

Quoting LGWflyer (Reply 7):
Montenegro Airlines is leaving LGW towards the end of October. Maybe U2 could take that route...

Not during the winter anyway! Montenegro Airlines is a bit of a shambles at the moment with investigations going on as to corruption with the government etc. There is no demand to Tivat during the winter months, BA's flights to Dubrovnik (basically the only year round flight to the Croatian coast part from a one-weekly Croatia Airlines to Split) more than serves the Tivat market or the year around easy connections with JAT via Belgrade.

During the summer season U2 or FR could make money to Tivat and i expect it in the future. I bet there is some government 'messing' going on that keep them out, also an unwillingness to expand to new markets that i;ve noticed during the recession. Note that FR has made no attempt to expand into the huge Romanian market from either the UK or Spain. Also U2 haven't done anything new in the East of Europe for quite a while. We'll see but for sure there are rute opportunities from Gatwick all across Europe.

Varna, Tivat, Belgrade, Ankara, Tirana (perhaps from Italy before the UK), Kosice (more of a Ryanair route) Tunis all spring to mind.

richardw

Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:22 am

Quoting GT4EZY (Reply 15):
Plucking out LGW-CTA....

It was a just a simple comparison.

CTA is a new destination for U2 from LGW and replaces U2's LGW-HEL route which was pulled this year.
BA have been operating the route for a while and I would've just expected U2 to have been a bit keener on pricing in order to grow the route.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos