Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

seansasLCY
Topic Author

EK To Sponsor London Cable Car

Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:55 am

Emirates is to sponsor the new Cable car being built across the River Thames. It will be known as the Emirates Air Line.

A great move by EK.

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs...rce=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Quokka

RE: EK To Sponsor London Cable Car

Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:06 pm

Quoting seansasLCY (Thread starter):
Emirates is to sponsor the new Cable car being built across the River Thames.

I suppose it is the nearest that they can get to 9th Freedom rights.   

It looks like an interesting project and will certainly increase EK's profile for relatively little cost.

ssublyme

Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:13 pm

Very good move on the part of EK. With Olympics 2012 coming up, this will also be prime advertising for them.

mffoda

Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:30 pm

EK, single aisle cable cars... I don't see it.  

LondonCity

Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:56 pm

Great publicity for EK. As the article in Aviation Week notes, the cable car lies close to the approach/take-off paths at LCY so pax flying rival carriers will all get a glimpse. And there is a greater proportion of high-earners using LCY compared with our capital's other main airports.

Quokka

Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:59 pm

Quoting mffoda (Reply 3):
EK, single aisle cable cars... I don't see it.

Yes, I am surprised that they are not wide-bodies. I wonder if you get AirMiles?  

But it is a very clever move that will give them plenty of exposure at far less cost than advertising in print or television. They'll actually gain the TV exposure when the system goes into operation and it is sure to appear in London promos as a tourist attraction.

hal9213

Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:59 pm

Quoting Quokka (Reply 5):
I wonder if you get AirMiles?

Well, if its calculated by distance like most destination, I doubt the 1 or 2 miles you get will make significant difference  

MIAspotter

Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:21 pm

Hmm. nice and all that... but what is exactly the point of this thing? just to cross the river? can´t you just use the tube or a bridge?

Yes, It may shorten the time but still... but hey, they must know what they are doing.

I thought cable cars were used to connect low lying places with high ones, like the one in Medellin, or the one in Singapore connecting Sentosa Island to Mt Faber, or Hong Kong to go to the Ngong Ping Big Buddha.

We have one here in BCN connecting the Funicular Station in Montjuic with the castle at the top, its is quite expensive and is not part of the integrated transport system (which i think should be)

MIAspotter.

planejamie

Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Since EK have pretty much exploited most UK airports where they can land an A330 or 777, they've had to resort to this to overfly the UK (in case you can't tell, I hate EK with a passion). I think it would be more fitting to see BA sponsor it since they did once sponsor the London Eye. Can they fit 10-abreast economy and 7 abreast business in a cable car?

jetblast

Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:47 pm

Quoting planejamie (Reply 8):

Since EK have pretty much exploited most UK airports where they can land an A330 or 777, they've had to resort to this to overfly the UK (in case you can't tell, I hate EK with a passion). I think it would be more fitting to see BA sponsor it since they did once sponsor the London Eye. Can they fit 10-abreast economy and 7 abreast business in a cable car?

I suppose we can expect the cable cars to be made of solid gold and cheap leather now 

LGWflyer

Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:53 pm

Hmm this will be interesting! Oh well I can't wait for it to open. I went on my first cable car ride in NYC this year and I was nervous about going on it, but overall I loved it!

babybus

Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:11 pm

I wonder how this project will be changed?

There isn't one transport system in London that doesn't have to take a stop in Stratford! This will probably mutate into a Stratford to Docklands cable car.

What's wrong with using the river to travel between those two places?

Glom

Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:47 pm

A cable car is cool n'all, but it's starting to look very flaky. The idea was that the sponsor would pay for it all, but now TfL are having to contribute. TfL has far more important things to do with its limited funds right now.

eurowings

Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:55 pm

Since EK have pretty much exploited most UK airports where they can land an A330 or 777, they've had to resort to this to overfly the UK (in case you can't tell, I hate EK with a passion). I think it would be more fitting to see BA sponsor it since they did once sponsor the London Eye.

The additional finance for this project will no doubt be welcomed by Transport for London, something which I feel BA could never provide in this current climate.

While EKs strategy is certainly aggressive and disliked by many, they have provided some good long-haul connections direct from the UK regions without the need to transit via Heathrow. They have brought investment and employment to Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle and Glasgow with daily long-haul services, that otherwise would have been centered on Heathrow. I am not really a huge fan of the EK product, but I believe their services have brought investment and they have offered a real alternative for UK passengers

[Edited 2011-10-07 11:56:32]

speedbird9

Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:23 pm

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 7):

Hmm. nice and all that... but what is exactly the point of this thing? just to cross the river? can´t you just use the tube or a bridge?

I think the point was to allow river traffic such as cruise ships and other large vessels to travel up the Thames and as for the tube there is very little connection across that part of the river and not a connection that would alight you directly at the other side of the river

i feel the same, a pivotal people mover especially at the Olympics sponsored by a foreign airline, i also would like to see the BA logo on the Thames

besides i was under the belief TfL was to fund, promote and profit from the Thames Gateway Cable Car. I dont think i'll ever call it the Emirates Air Line. Besides its only for 10 years they'll probably sell it after THE London 2012 Olympics anyway

MasterBean

Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:57 pm

I doubt it will be ready on time. Everything in this country takes at least a year to be built and there are always things that break and go wrong. I'm thinking of T5 and those pod things that run to T5.

theobcman

Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:42 pm

I understand its good advertising. But just how much more well known can EK get in UK, Europe & in fact worldwide ? Putting in £32m for a cable car over the Thames ........ It's their money I guess.

shamrock350

Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:58 pm

Good move by EK but a bad move overall by Transport for London in my opinion. It has turned out to be much more expensive than originally planned with the total cost now said to be around £60m and I'm doubtful it will be as popular as Boris Johnson hopes it will be, there really can't be that many people wanting to travel solely between the O2 Arena and the ExCel and those that do can easily do that via the Jubilee Line and the Docklands Light Railway which you'll need to get anyway to catch this thing. It's now looking more like a weak tourist attraction rather than a genuine mode of transport for everyday Londoners and TfL should not be spending so much money out of its budget while commuters are subject to yet more hikes in tube and bus fares.

As for EK, the link will also appear on the tube map and both stations at either end will be Emirates branded making this the first time corporate branding will appear on the map so it really is a good move by the airline. I'm pleased the project at least got a strong sponsor.

Shamrock350

gkirk

Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:06 pm

Emirates, the UK flag carrier  

lhr380

Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:14 pm

Quoting gkirk (Reply 18):
Emirates, the UK flag carrier  

Im heading north and we are having words!!

NZ107

Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:24 pm

Quoting Quokka (Reply 5):
Yes, I am surprised that they are not wide-bodies. I wonder if you get AirMiles?

You could probably use your Skywards miles to purchase tickets though!

How close/in danger is it to the flight path of LCY? Is it far away enough/low enough so that the height of the line won't affect anything?

mffoda

Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:46 pm

(in case you can't tell, I hate EK with a passion)

Look on the bright side, If a cable car drops off into the river... You can count it as a Hull loss!  

GBRandSYCguy

Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:09 pm

We now have the Emirates stadium, the Etihad stadium, the tallest building in London in fact in Europe being built financed by the Qatari royal family, an Emirates A380 replica placed at the entrance of Heathrow airport where a BA concorde used to be. Emirates just about flies to every UK airports big enough for it's planes, central London is now exclusively for the billionaires most being arabs & soon we'll have Emirates cable cars on the thames...need I say more?!? I wonder what's really attractive about this country to the arabs but I really struggle but I don't blame them as most large British firms seems to be unable to survive without foreign investments being poured into them, it's their culture now!

fiscal

Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:21 pm

I just looked at the video on the OP link, and I must say that there appears to be a lot of walking with no shelter, so not a good move if this is in anyway accurate. Who wants to get wet going to O2 when a tube will get you there dry. JAT

kdhurst380

Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:23 am

How tacky. Did they really have to chuck their branding into the station names too? let's celebrate the best of British, and put Dubai's national carrier branding everywhere. Yeah their money, but I still don't like it one tiny bit.

At least BA's To Fly. To Serve. campaign, or a Speedmarque would have added a touch of class to it. Far more appealing than fake gold and fake varnished wood veneer.

Oh well, multicultural society and all that jazz.

bill142

Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:26 am

TfL fails again. Should have charged them 60 million for it. The money spent on this project would have been better spent on improving the tube.

simonriat

Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:12 am

Here is another one, who doesn't agree with it, or more to the point see the point of it?

Yet another example of no pride in our country. Lets see who now, whats left to sell or sponsor. The Crown Jewels even, sponsored by Emirates or Hyundai or Kia.

I actually don't mind Emirates as an airline (the cabin crew were far more approachable and friendly than any BA flight I have had to endure), having flown with them to Brisbane from Manchester (as I live in the north of England). Perhaps I should write a letter to BA on this point and let them know there are other airports other than Heathrow.

OK rant over. But what a waste of money, in my non professional opinion.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:31 am

Quoting kdhurst380 (Reply 25):
How tacky. Did they really have to chuck their branding into the station names too? let's celebrate the best of British, and put Dubai's national carrier branding everywhere. Yeah their money, but I still don't like it one tiny bit.

Well did the best of British give Transport For London £36m ? If they did then they'd have their branding on it.

planesmith

Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:48 am

Quoting Glom (Reply 12):
A cable car is cool n'all, but it's starting to look very flaky. The idea was that the sponsor would pay for it all, but now TfL are having to contribute. TfL has far more important things to do with its limited funds right now.

Yep this is going to be yet another of those bizarre ideas so beloved of London's idiot class - along with the O2 that lost a humungeous amount of money for the country before being sold off at a huge loss - the temporary Millenium wheel that still sits as a carbuncle on the arse of the Thames - this one started off with a projected cost of £12m - soon escalated somewhat to £40m and is now estimated at £60m - one must suppose that if the real numbers were exposed before the project got off the ground it would still be on the drawing board where it really belongs - had they put that £60m towards a real river crossing for vehicles which is badly, badly needed (and promised by the idiot BoJo) then it would have been money well spent. (This comes from someone who has spent many hours waiting in a car when the tunnels are blocked - frequently - just wait for that to happen during the olympics!)

SKAirbus

Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:34 am

Still the same old moaning by people up north about BA not serving their cities with comprehensive route networks.

A few words to make it simpler for everyone: They tried but did not make any money.

Nuff said.

simonriat

Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:06 pm

With regards to BA not serving the North particularly well. I actually see it as a good thing, because it means I get to try other airlines, which I would not have considered had BA served the route.

So I can safely say I know there are better airlines out there, providing a far better friendly service, than BA has ever provided me with. I now go out of my way not to fly BA.

Also shame on BA for not sponsoring events/ landmarks in this country. Its embarrassing, although with regard to original topic perhaps a smart move in this case.

B747-4U3

Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:16 pm

Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 17):
TfL should not be spending so much money out of its budget while commuters are subject to yet more hikes in tube and bus fares.
Quoting bill142 (Reply 26):
TfL fails again.

In fairness to TfL, I don't think they have a choice in the matter. This scheme is wanted politically so TfL must obey. It's the same with getting rid of the bendy-bus. TfL had no desire to do that (both for the cost and reduction in capacity) but the Mayor decided that he wanted to do it so it had to be done.

Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 17):
As for EK, the link will also appear on the tube map and both stations at either end will be Emirates branded making this the first time corporate branding will appear on the map so it really is a good move by the airline.

I think it's a shame that such branding is now being allowed on the Tube map. It cheapens the image of Harry Beck's fine work. Soon we'll end up with this:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/29/103109216_97ed9f3b48_o.jpg

Quokka

Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:51 pm

Quoting B747-4U3 (Reply 32):
Soon we'll end up with this:

That is really good. Funny, but it does highlight an important issue.

Assuming (a big assumption admittedly) that a project is desirable or even necessary and people are vehemently opposed to paying rates (do you still have those in the UK or has some version of the poll-tax survived?) and everyone is screaming for lower taxes, private funding remains the only option. That creates problems because as long as the source of the funding is legal and the ultimate outcome is beneficial, can we afford to reject a sponsor simply because we don't like their cabin interior?

I suppose there are two debates going on. One is whether the project is either desirable or necessary. The other is how should it be funded. No one doubts the need for public transport, but I recall from my regular travel on the tube and on buses (in a very distant past - 1974 to 1990) that advertising has been a regular feature for several decades, although naming rights for individual lines is an innovation.

B747-4U3

Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:43 pm

Quoting Quokka (Reply 33):
That creates problems because as long as the source of the funding is legal and the ultimate outcome is beneficial, can we afford to reject a sponsor simply because we don't like their cabin interior?

I think this is the issue. The UK government (not necessarily the people) seems to be moving further and further away from the idea that public transport is a public service and should be publicly funded to one where the transport network should be run privately and funded privately for those who can afford to use it with as little taxpayer contribution as possible. Given that private companies must make a return on their investment and the low yielding nature of public transport, I can see more and more of this type of sponsorship in the UK.

The sad thing is that London - and the names of areas - is full of a rich history. Greenwich Peninsular is a fantastic name and sounds like a very interesting place full of history. Sticking Emirates in front of the name ruins that as it is attaching a brand name to that of a historical area. I personally think it is disgusting.

As a side note - when the Central line was build - or the Central London Railway as it was called back then, Selfridges wanted Bond Street station named Selfridges. It was however refused.

qf002

Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:59 pm

Quoting B747-4U3 (Reply 34):
The UK government (not necessarily the people) seems to be moving further and further away from the idea that public transport is a public service and should be publicly funded to one where the transport network should be run privately and funded privately for those who can afford to use it with as little taxpayer contribution as possible.

Privatised public transport can work very well -- it is not something that can ever be fully privatised, but many major cities have a privatised 'public' transport system that is partially subsidised by the government and governed by a stringent contract relating to services that must be provided, fare limits, employment conditions etc. It reduces the cost to the government and leads to a better run system because the inefficiencies are removed. From my experience (comparing Sydney's fully public system which I use every day to Melbourne's private system) the private system works far better and offers a far superior service.

The sad thing is that London - and the names of areas - is full of a rich history. Greenwich Peninsular is a fantastic name and sounds like a very interesting place full of history. Sticking Emirates in front of the name ruins that as it is attaching a brand name to that of a historical area. I personally think it is disgusting.

Agreed. Landmark names should be left alone.

Quokka

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:35 pm

Selfridges wanted Bond Street station named Selfridges. It was however refused.

I never knew that. It just goes to show that the debate between public need and utility versus private investment and profit is longer than many people might assume.

Personally I would prefer that Governments would recognise that to most people they are there to serve the needs of the people. Sadly, that is a fairly modern idea among those who think that they are fit to rule. It is an even more modern idea among those who believe that they are the only ones who pay taxes, despite in many instances of being able to minimise their taxes in ways not available to your average punter.

If Emirates is the only group willing to put up the money I suppose there are few grounds to complain when other companies had the same opportunity to bid for naming rights. But I guess if these things are left to private sponsorship it does mean that not everyone will be happy with the eventual winner of the auction.

The ultimate irony is that even after proclaiming projects to be Privately Funded, Governments (read the tax payer) end up funding them anyway because of "project overruns" or whatever.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:38 pm

Quoting Quokka (Reply 36):
If Emirates is the only group willing to put up the money I suppose there are few grounds to complain when other companies had the same opportunity to bid for naming rights.

Amen to that.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos