Gonzalo
Topic Author

Can Everybody Personalize The REG Of Its Jet?

Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:35 pm

After reading this article it seems that the reg number of this plane was basically determined by Mr. Jordan.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...alized-private-plan?urn=nba-wp9151

Can anyone do this or is it a privilege for big stars only ?

Rgds.
G.
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / FH-227 / A318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789 / B788 / A343 / ATR72-600

JBo

RE: Can Everybody Personalize The REG Of Its Jet?

Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:45 pm

Anyone can request or reserve a specific registration number from the FAA. Registration numbers can be reserved for a fee.

Nike's corporate jet is registered N1KE.

A local aerial photographer where I live has her aircraft registered using her initials as the letters.

I think those two examples set both ends of the spectrum.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

arffdude

Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:19 pm

Quoting JBo (Reply 1):

They've also got N6453, which spells out Nike on a phone keypad  

N14AZ

Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:28 pm

Problem is most names are longer than a typical registration, this is a nice compromise: M-IKEL, the private jet of Michael Schumacher.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jordi Grife - Iberian Spotters

Accidentally

Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Can't speak for other countries, but we can here in the US. I've had a specific registration reserved for a couple of years now that I'd like to use someday. If I decide to repaint my current airplane, I'll likely switch it to my reserved one.
Indianapolis, IN

LH526

Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:19 pm

Unlike vanity plates on a car, aircraft registration always have to follow the cetrain regulations set by ICAO. A US based celeb can't simply put "JLENO" as registration on it's aircraft ... "N111JL" would be possible. As long as the reg is within the regulations and not blocked by some institution or allreaqday taken... anyone can have any reg they want.
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

Gonzalo
Topic Author

Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:47 pm

Quoting JBo (Reply 1):
Quoting N14AZ (Reply 3):
M-IKEL, the private jet of Michael Schumacher.

Cool !! Here in Chile the only case with some similarity is the CC-DGA, for the Direccion General Aeronáutica   

Thanks for the info.

Rgds.

G.
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / FH-227 / A318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789 / B788 / A343 / ATR72-600

JBo

Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Quoting Gonzalo (Reply 6):
Cool !! Here in Chile the only case with some similarity is the CC-DGA, for the Direccion General Aeronáutica

The FAA here reserves and uses almost all numeric only tail numbers below 100 for their aircraft (N1 thru N100) ... N1 is the aircraft usually used by the US Secretary of Transportation.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

LGWflyer

Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:13 pm

Quite a few people have their own registrations. If anyone here watches Top Gear then they'll know who James May is. His plane has the reg G-OCOK.
3 words... I Love Aviation!!!

Tango-Bravo

Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:58 pm

Straying somewhat off-topic...perhaps(?)... last I heard, the cost changing the registration of an aircraft (including commercial airliners) was/is a mere $35.00 (plus, of course, the cost to remove the old and apply the new)... which leaves me wondering why many if not most airlines who are the surviving carrier retain registrations of aircraft absorbed by way of merger in cases where the registrations are obviously connected to the now-defunct airline acquired.

beiaard

Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:09 pm

Quoting Tango-Bravo (Reply 9):
Straying somewhat off-topic...perhaps(?)... last I heard, the cost changing the registration of an aircraft (including commercial airliners) was/is a mere $35.00 (plus, of course, the cost to remove the old and apply the new)... which leaves me wondering why many if not most airlines who are the surviving carrier retain registrations of aircraft absorbed by way of merger in cases where the registrations are obviously connected to the now-defunct airline acquired.

For one thing, you'd have to factor in the cost of actually changing the registration on the airplane. I have no accurate estimation of how much that would cost, but considering supplies/labor and the fact that the airplane would have to be out of service for it (i.e., not making money), you'd have a significant amount of money going into something that doesn't really make any difference. It's not like pax in the terminal are going to refuse to get on an "old" aircraft because they saw the N123NW registration on a Delta airplane. For one thing, 99 out of 100 of those passengers aren't even going to notice the reg, and of the one that does, it is exceedingly unlikely that he'll coorelate the NW with Northwest.
Seems like a lot of effort and money for something that won't impact the bottom line in any positive way.
BONARUM ARTIUM RERUMQUE HUMANARUM AC DIVINARUM STUDIOSOS CONVOCAMUS

rfields5421

Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:02 am

Quoting Beiaard (Reply 10):
Seems like a lot of effort and money for something that won't impact the bottom line in any positive way.

Not only is it the cost of repainting the number on the side of the plane, but you have to change the certificate on display in the aircraft, all the records in the computers, and a whole lot more documentation.

It just plainly ain't worth the effort.

bjorn14

Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:28 am

But you never knw how it will affect morale and that effects the bottom line. 
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

larshjort

Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:31 am

In FRA a few weeks ago I saw N155AN and D-BMVV among others.

/Lars
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,

Stealthz

Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:41 am

You can measure this..

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 11):
Not only is it the cost of repainting the number on the side of the plane, but you have to change the certificate on display in the aircraft, all the records in the computers, and a whole lot more documentation.

You can't (easily) measure this..

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 12):

.. the accountants will always win!
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

Mortyman

Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:41 am

Does anyone know if Hefners Big Bunny had a special reg. number ?

beiaard

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 12):

You're right, I bet the old Northwest guys would be thrilled to see Delta going the extra mile to erase every vestige of their company's history.  
BONARUM ARTIUM RERUMQUE HUMANARUM AC DIVINARUM STUDIOSOS CONVOCAMUS

tcasalert

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:56 pm

As others have said, its just a case of requesting the specific combination from the authorities. How else do you think NW got all of their aircraft to have N***NW, US Airways had N***US/UW. In the UK there are numerous airlines that do the same, easyJet with G-EZY* etc. I could go on  
Quoting Mortyman (Reply 15):
Does anyone know if Hefners Big Bunny had a special reg. number ?

Yup, N950PB
Next flight: Feb 2012 - BHX-CPH-BHX - SK MD87 / CRJ900

malioil

Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:06 pm

The private B744 of His Majesty our King is registered A9C-HMK for ''His Majesty King''.

Then again, as head of state I'm pretty sure the CAA would grant any reg His Majesty wishes.

His previous aircraft was a B747SP, A9C-HHH which stood for ''His Highness Hamad'', when he was the Emir.

[Edited 2011-10-08 10:07:24]

[Edited 2011-10-08 10:15:41]

tcasalert

Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:56 pm

On a relevant topic, private 727 P4-ONE had a unique callsign. Rather than calling up on ATC as "Papa four oscar november echo" as is standard ATC protocol, they had special permission to use the callsign "Papa four one", hence using their personalised reg as their callsign  
Next flight: Feb 2012 - BHX-CPH-BHX - SK MD87 / CRJ900

deltairlines

Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:44 pm

For one thing, you'd have to factor in the cost of actually changing the registration on the airplane. I have no accurate estimation of how much that would cost, but considering supplies/labor and the fact that the airplane would have to be out of service for it (i.e., not making money), you'd have a significant amount of money going into something that doesn't really make any difference. It's not like pax in the terminal are going to refuse to get on an "old" aircraft because they saw the N123NW registration on a Delta airplane. For one thing, 99 out of 100 of those passengers aren't even going to notice the reg, and of the one that does, it is exceedingly unlikely that he'll coorelate the NW with Northwest.

The actual change job isn't that difficult on the plane. The issue of changing tail numbers for a commercial airline is having to update logbooks, records, databases, etc., which can be fairly intensive and take a decent bit of time/money that could be spent elsewhere. For something as small as that, where it doesn't really matter if a tail number is N324NW or N324DL, why bother changing it and having to deal with a bit of paperwork when it has no operational impact.

NASCARAirforce

Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:12 pm

Quoting Gonzalo (Thread starter):
Can anyone do this or is it a privilege for big stars only ?

If you got the money you can do it. A lot of the NASCAR planes have it like Jeff Gordon's plane is N24JG.

Then VIR has all the custom regs too like G-VGAL, G-VSXY, G-VKSS etc

Quoting N14AZ (Reply 3):
Problem is most names are longer than a typical registration, this is a nice compromise: M-IKEL, the private jet of Michael Schumacher.

So that's who ones that plane. I got a picture of it at Orlando Executive last June and saw it in my photos yesterday. I wonder what he was doing at Orlando Executive.

UAL747

Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:26 pm

We have used N36N as the registration for almost every aircraft we have owned. I know that it has been used on a 210, and two 335's. This is my family's current aircraft:

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos