kaitak
Topic Author

Irish 21/11: Flying With Attitude

Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:19 am

Good morning folks and welcome to our latest installment for 2011.

It's been a while since we've had a new thread, which suggests things are moving a bit slowly! There have been a few developments in the course of the last thread, sadly - as Galway shows - not all of them positive. Still, compared to where we were this time last year or two years ago, the future looks more positive. More and more green shoots ...

New routes (LH to DUS, just announced), traffic numbers starting to climb again, new initiatives. Of course, we're not out of the woods by any means, but there's certainly grounds for more optimism.

Well, it's just coming up to 8.20 on a Saturday morning and my creative head is on Powersave, so I'll hand it over to you ...

dstc47

RE: Irish 21/11: Flying With Attitude

Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:14 pm

Our old friend WW again confirms that EI is of no particular interest to IAG.

According to the Irish Times

“We’ve made no secret that there are airlines that we’re interested in at the moment, but Aer Lingus is not one of them, he said. Mr Walsh said, IAG is interested in acquiring Tap in Portugal and Heathrow-based BMI. Tap is of interest because the Portuguese government has said it intends to privatise it and it’s got an excellent network into Brazil, which we see as a strategic market, and into Africa as well. The Heathrow slots of BMI are something that interest us greatly. If they [Lufthansa, BMI’s parent group] are interested in selling we’re definitely interested in buying. "

I cant see the Competition people allowing IAG to get control of the BMI and their slots but it is worth noting that since BA withdrew from the Irish market, a purchase of EI by IAG would produce lots of slots also, with some unduplicated routes of some marginal interest to BA.

kaitak
Topic Author

Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:26 pm

IAG's interest in TP doesn't suprise me at all, because Brazil is going to be an increasingly important market in years to come. EI does not offer a lot, strategically.

BD is just slot fodder to BA; if the takeover goes ahead, I can see the end of BD's ops to DUB and I can't see BA taking hem on why would it, when EI provides feed.

Just arrived into DUB today and was very impressed by how quickly I got through T2; were on the blocks at 15.08 (and being at the back, it took me a good 5 minutes to get off), yet I was on the Aircoach at 15.25!

shamrock604

Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:31 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 2):

It's a dream at the moment! Flew back into T1 last week, waited maybe 30 seconds for passport control, maybe a 2 minute wait for bags. Really could not have been easier, but T1 was very quiet!

auntie

Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:43 pm

Just arrived into DUB today and was very impressed by how quickly I got through T2; were on the blocks at 15.08 (and being at the back, it took me a good 5 minutes to get off), yet I was on the Aircoach at 15.25!

Funny you should mention this today. I was sooo unimpressed with my arrival into T2 last night. We touched down from ACE at 23:45, parked at the old B gates, long walk over to T2, then had to walk all the way back to T1 to get the bus to the car park. I cannot believe T2 has been open almost a year and they STILL haven't sorted out a pick up point for the car park buses. To quote a man on the bus behind us who was ranting and raving ".....it's absolutely ridiculous, they'd really want to cop themselves on ......"

Incidentally we then had to wait on a packed bus for well over 20 minutes (DAA website quotes buses every 10 minutes before 1am) for a driver to appear. So bearing in mind there was no delay at Passport Control or with the baggage, a time of 1 hour and 5 minutes from touchdown to car is really not good enough at a very quiet hour of the evening.

I know EI park at the 'B' gates ready for the morning rush but does anyone know WHY they have not sorted out the buses picking up at T2 yet?

shamrock604

Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:17 pm

Quoting auntie (Reply 4):

That's a pretty piss poor performance alright. I have expierienced that issue with the busses myself, and they should have pick ups at each terminal.

They probably consider that pick up area as a "central one" for both terminals, but in practice, it isnt.

They have done a little tarting up down in Pier A. The circular building has had the cafe removed, new flooring and extra seating. It's much better. The older section of the pier is still awful though.

OA260

Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:56 pm

Funny you should mention this today. I was sooo unimpressed with my arrival into T2 last night. We touched down from ACE at 23:45, parked at the old B gates, long walk over to T2,

Thats certainly a real pain and wastes so much time also . Why are they doing that ??

sawtooth

Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:19 pm

There are a few ruff edges with T2 signage and layout. Heard some fuss on the radio about the bridge to the car-park a few weeks back. The issues may have been fixed since then but apparently there was no signage for the lifts at the end of the tunnel (lifts are there but out of sight round a corner), so passengers were trying to get large baggage over the escalator barriers (put there to block them) as the only way down.

There was an incident with an elderly lady falling down the stairs because of it. Stupid yes but good signage could have prevented it. Also there are only 2 lifts and when one is out of use large backlog builds up, DAA open the emergency stairwell which is completely unlit! DAA rep put up a hand written poster after the incident...

Also it's not clear when you come down the stairwell/escalator were to go for the car park shuttle/busses, why do you have to walk back to T1?

kaitak
Topic Author

Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:15 am

Heads up folks, the "Man City" Etihad A330 is operating the EY 41 today; should be in around lunchtime!

airfinglas

Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:52 am

Morning

I've just been advised that EI is not operating Thursday 12th Jul 2012 DUB-MCO. Rebooked for Tues 10th. A quick check would appear to suggest that EI have reduced the MCO service for Summer 2012 with departures on Tuesday's and Saturday's with the Thursday service no longer being operated. Can anyone shed any light on the reduction in service?

ClassicLover

Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:43 am

This is something I like as well. Recently I landed from LGW on a Monday on the first EI flight of the morning. We landed on time at 7:45am, I was off the aircraft at 7:50am, through Passport control just before all the Americans got there (thank god) by 8:05am and was on the Aircoach at 8:10am, and into work before my 9am start at 8:53am  

Blind luck really, as I would have had a 20 minute delay or more had I been another 5 minutes late getting to Passport control, and the Leopardstown Aircoach was just about to leave as I ran on board! haha
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

eicvd

Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:11 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 8):
Heads up folks, the "Man City" Etihad A330 is operating the EY 41 today; should be in around lunchtime!

Thanks for the info Kaitak, might just take a detour home from Parnell park later to see it.
COYBIB

tonystan

Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:44 pm

Funny you should mention this today. I was sooo unimpressed with my arrival into T2 last night. We touched down from ACE at 23:45, parked at the old B gates, long walk over to T2, then had to walk all the way back to T1 to get the bus to the car park. I cannot believe T2 has been open almost a year and they STILL haven't sorted out a pick up point for the car park buses. To quote a man on the bus behind us who was ranting and raving ".....it's absolutely ridiculous, they'd really want to cop themselves on ......"

Am I the only one who will jump to the defence of the DAA on this one????

I dont think the walk is exhaustive from T2. My only upset about it is the signage. If one exits T2 from the exit opposite EI checkin you are at the car park bus stops after a little over 1minutes walk (ok, im a fast walker). I admit I have never arrived in T1 on an EI flight since the walkway opened but comparable to other airports it doesnt seem that far a distance, and comparable to other airports such as LHR where I work, the walk from T2 to the Central Bus Area is barely a skip!!!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

Byrdluvs747

Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:17 pm

Quoting dstc47 (Reply 1):
Our old friend WW again confirms that EI is of no particular interest to IAG

Probably just wishful thinking on my part but I think IAG is just keeping their powder dry until they are ready to make a move on EI. It would be a shame if IAG truly has no interest in EI,
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

kaitak
Topic Author

Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:38 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 10):
the Leopardstown Aircoach was just about to leave as I ran on board! haha

That's the one I take too; I get off at Stillorgan Village!

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 13):
Probably just wishful thinking on my part but I think IAG is just keeping their powder dry until they are ready to make a move on EI. It would be a shame if IAG truly has no interest in EI,

On the other hand, now that BD will no longer be in the Star Alliance (nor in existence, for that matter!), maybe Star will take an interest in EI.

OA260

Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:09 pm

Lufthansa seem to be advertising everywhere now. Lots of ads and emails also sponsoring on Dublins 98FM they really want to increase awareness coupled by some amazing new fares released in all classes.

Byrdluvs747

Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:15 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 14):

On the other hand, now that BD will no longer be in the Star Alliance (nor in existence, for that matter!), maybe Star will take an interest in EI.

That's my fear. I don't want to see EI in Star, and especially in god-awful skyteam. I'm hoping the real plan is to make an offer once the govt puts its shares up for sale.

auntie

Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:16 pm

Quoting tonystan (Reply 12):
I dont think the walk is exhaustive from T2.

I agree it's not that far and I knew before we arrived that we were going to have to do it (from previous experience) but it was just the double whammy of parking at T1 and walking to T2 and back to T1 again that had people a bit annoyed.

comparable to other airports such as LHR

LHR was exactly what I was thinking of at the time !!!

Central Bus Area

If it is going to be a Central Bus Area then fine but they definitely need to get the signage sorted. The first time I arrived through T2 - in February - there was a sign staying Stand 9 for the car park bus, but all I found at Stand 9 was a line of taxis! Not sure if they have changed that sign now. I hope so.

However, on two occasions recently I have been on the bus from the Red Car Park where some very confused people with suitcases have tried to board it when it's dropping at T2. On the first occasion the driver has told the people that she is not allowed to pick up there and pointed them in the direction of the pick up area. On the second occasion the driver just ignored them, closed the door and drove away.

OA260

Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:23 pm

Topflight are chartering Aer Lingus flights this Winter from both DUB and ORK to their Ski destinations. Great to see EI back in the charter market they used to have quite a few places when they did Charters in the old days.

Falcon are re introducing Egypt from this Christmas running right through to October 2012. Plans for a weekly ORK-SSH flight have been ditched due to lack of demand.

Flybe are axing their BHD-LPL service at the end of this Month. They are however commencing BHD-MAN.

Etihad are looking to increase awareness in Northern Ireland by setting up a sales base there.

Emirates have advised that their first 10 flights from January were nearly booked up within the first few hours of tickets going on sale. They estimate all going well an upgrade to a B777 in 2-3 years time increasing the capacity from 237 to 354 seats. 65-70% of traffic is expected to be beyond DXB. They are looking at whether they will link up with Irish Tour operators or extend Emirates Tours UK to include the DUB service.They also expect a load factor from the Jan-Mar QTR of 80% claiming there is room in the market for both EY and EK.

kaitak
Topic Author

Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:35 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 18):
Emirates have advised that their first 10 flights from January were nearly booked up within the first few hours of tickets going on sale. They estimate all going well an upgrade to a B777 in 2-3 years time increasing the capacity from 237 to 354 seats

That's really good to hear! Mind you, I can tell you that demand among EK staff in Dubai will be pretty strong as well; there is a significant and growing number of ex-FR (and a few ex-EI!) crews now flying for EK and they'll appreciate hugely the ability to fly straight home!

I'm actually wondering, given that they've started with a three crew acft, whether we might see 77Ls flying to DUB at some stage, as an intermediate acft, until the route can take 77Ws. Mind you, I suspect that EK will want to move to a twice daily operation asap, because the overnight departure from DUB is the one that will connect with the EK flights to Oz - potentially a very big market for EK.

OA260

Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:08 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 19):
That's really good to hear! Mind you, I can tell you that demand among EK staff in Dubai will be pretty strong as well;

Indeed lots of Irish working for EK and not just crew. Also QR is recruting more Irish cabin crew.

Quoting kaitak (Reply 19):
Mind you, I suspect that EK will want to move to a twice daily operation asap, because the overnight departure from DUB is the one that will connect with the EK flights to Oz - potentially a very big market for EK.

Actually they apparantly would rather a move from A330 to B777 rather than a double daily at this stage but I guess this could all change. Funny you bring this up though and it was something they commented on  
You must have EK telepathy LOL....

shamrock604

Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:25 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 18):
Emirates have advised that their first 10 flights from January were nearly booked up within the first few hours of tickets going on sale. They estimate all going well an upgrade to a B777 in 2-3 years time increasing the capacity from 237 to 354 seats. 65-70% of traffic is expected to be beyond DXB. They are looking at whether they will link up with Irish Tour operators or extend Emirates Tours UK to include the DUB service.They also expect a load factor from the Jan-Mar QTR of 80% claiming there is room in the market for both EY and EK.

I always take airline PR with a grain of salt, but that's really fantastic if true. Not simply for the success of EK, but it's great to hear such a positive report about a DUB route and let's hope the message gets out.

I was reading some of the material from Routes Berlin and the DAA are quietly pushing a message of cautious optimism that the worst is over and the green shoots are evident. I think they will have another success story to shout about before too long......

Interestingly, it was ORK and SNN that took centre stage in the Daily briefings released by anna.aero during the conference. Two full page adverts, one for each airport, were taken out. I particularly like the style of Cork's advertising, and hope the campaigns yield results for both.

sawtooth

Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:15 pm

FT saying Ethiad interested in bidding for Are Lingus stake. This would see at odds with rumors of EI handling Emirates DUB ops. But might make sense as a defensive move for EY with EK landing on their patch.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/e4ff4...19-00144feab49a.html#axzz1azM3r7nh

shamrock604

Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:18 pm

Quoting sawtooth (Reply 22):
FT saying Ethiad interested in bidding for Are Lingus stake. This would see at odds with rumors of EI handling Emirates DUB ops. But might make sense as a defensive move for EY with EK landing on their patch.

VERY interesting - and it might make a good strategic move for EY - access to a well placed hub for TATL ops with a nice new terminal. EI would need to work on the long haul product though, but we have heard murmurs that this may in fact be in progress.

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

kaitak
Topic Author

Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:54 am

Very interesting development; now, if only we could get the UAE govt to invest in our sovereign debt as well.

Joking apart, it is an interesting development. Of course, it's very early days and both airlines and the govt will probably rush to deny anything; unions will probably bleat about the poor treatment of employees out there (although have not heard anything particularly bad about EY, compared to QR).

I don't think EY will be too pushed about EI handling EK; if they are indeed interested in EI, I think it will go far beyond trying to stymie EK; Middle Eastern carriers are looking around for investments; QR has bought into CLX and EK is also rumoured to be looking around.

Long term ramifications? Feed into (increased) EI transatlantic operations at DUB would be interesting. Both carriers are A350 customers, so there could be co-operation on that front.

shamrock604

Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:13 am

Quoting kaitak (Reply 24):
Very interesting development; now, if only we could get the UAE govt to invest in our sovereign debt as well.

Joking apart, it is an interesting development. Of course, it's very early days and both airlines and the govt will probably rush to deny anything; unions will probably bleat about the poor treatment of employees out there (although have not heard anything particularly bad about EY, compared to QR).

I don't think EY will be too pushed about EI handling EK; if they are indeed interested in EI, I think it will go far beyond trying to stymie EK; Middle Eastern carriers are looking around for investments; QR has bought into CLX and EK is also rumoured to be looking around.

Long term ramifications? Feed into (increased) EI transatlantic operations at DUB would be interesting. Both carriers are A350 customers, so there could be co-operation on that front.

I did a little reading around on the subject earlier. Apparently, EY have also spoken to Virgin about an investment or co-operation if Virgin manages to combine with BMI. Of course, James Hogan would be very familiar with the latter carrier. This would of course suggest that EY are looking for a carrier with not only a long haul (presumably Transatlantic) operation, but also one with a European Network.

Eagleboy

Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:48 am

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 5):
They probably consider that pick up area as a "central one" for both terminals, but in practice, it isnt.
I dont think the walk is exhaustive from T2. My only upset about it is the signage.

I'm sort of in the middle concerning the car park pick-ups. I think the current location (while not exactly central) isn't too bad. I like that they have a covered walkway most of the way from T2 to the bus stops. I think the 5 min walk is acceptable. However I would love to hear the reason why the buses cannot pick-up at T2.

My major problem would be the absolutely god awful signage leading there. DAA should have large signs saying "Car Park Buses" visible when you exit arrivals and a 2nd set across the bridge leading pax down to the left. Currently when you get to ground level the only signage is to 'Bus Park 4, Car Park 7' and similar locations on a 4 inch high sign on the walkway arch. So you have to know your stop number to figure out where to go. There should be another large sign here leading to the walkway.
From chatting to the AirCoach staff they are being used as an info desk for all the pax that get that far then cannot figure where to go.

sawtooth

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:00 am

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 26):
My major problem would be the absolutely god awful signage leading there. DAA should have large signs saying "Car Park Buses" visible when you exit arrivals and a 2nd set across the bridge leading pax down to the left.

There are some signs mentioning it, but they're small and infrequent, one as you come to the bridge but then you go down the escalator and on ground level wonder where to go next. I had to ask myself.

-----

Couple of cuts not mentioned in last weeks statement from RE, WAT-BHX and KIR-MAN ending in November, not clear if they will be back seasonal.

330guy

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:44 am

Quoting kaitak (Reply 24):
Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 25):

In have just seen this about EY and EI. It still mentiones IAG as a possible buyer also. Who would we perfer??

I have just noticed this was mentioned in reply 22. I'll admit I read it first thing this morning and obivously didnt really "read it" it was more like "looked at" it haha.

[Edited 2011-10-17 01:55:43]
Aircraft flown: a300/10/20/21/30/40, b727/37/47/57/67/, DC9, MD80-90, l1011, f50, atr42/72, shorts360, pc12

OA260

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:53 am

Certainly will be interesting to watch developments. I hope that any changes to Aer Lingus will result in a strong partner with a plan to enhance the product whilst keeping what Aer Lingus does best.

Personally I would like to see a overhaul of the Longhaul product . EY standards in Y wouldnt be such a bad thing if they have influence over that .

AmricanShamrok

Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:30 pm

The Shannon Airport Authority seems to be aggressively marketing its UK flights these days. There are routemaps on a good few busses around Limerick and banners on websites too. I think it's a case of "focus on what we have" instead of pushing for new routes at the moment.

Byrdluvs747

Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:34 pm

Quoting 330guy (Reply 28):
Who would we perfer??

IAG !! I would rather have the alliance benefits of OW than just codeshares with EY.

Clydenairways

Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:43 pm

It's getting a bit windy in DUB at the moment, lots of divertions to SNN i hear.

Eagleboy

Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 29):
Certainly will be interesting to watch developments. I hope that any changes to Aer Lingus will result in a strong partner with a plan to enhance the product whilst keeping what Aer Lingus does best.
EI need financial backing but not necessarily alliance membership, with a bit of stability they can develop their product. They also need access to a larger route network, for both pax numbers and route ooptions.
EY ticks those boxes very well.
Well the market thinks it is a positive move, share price opened at 0.64, now up to 0.71!

Perhaps such a move would work well for EY to protect their investments to date at DUB from EK?

[Edited 2011-10-17 07:00:33]

captainmeeerkat

Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:28 pm

FT saying Ethiad interested in bidding for Are Lingus stake.

Excuse my ignorance, but why would EY be interested in EI?

Apart from (potential) financial gain, what logistically can they gain?

- connecting traffic at DUB? EY already serve a few European destinations. Who would connect from BUD-DUB for example on the EI network for example when you can go to FRA, BRU, LHR, CDG, MAN, DME, MXP, GVA, MUC...

- someone mentioned a long haul hub but I don't see how that benefits EY at all on the EI network given the current state of westbound long haul in Ireland. And EY would hardly stop over in DUB from AUH going westbound (perhaps only for preclearance)

Quoting OA260 (Reply 29):
I hope that any changes to Aer Lingus will result in a strong partner

This is something that is necessary and long over due given the recent history at EI. EY would indeed be very beneficial for Aer Lingus (successful management, great finanial resources etc etc) but what does EI offer to EY

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 33):
EI need financial backing but not necessarily alliance membership, with a bit of stability they can develop their product. They also need access to a larger route network, for both pax numbers and route ooptions.
EY ticks those boxes very well.

Does EY have to spend €130m (figure from Irish Independent) to allow EI codeshare on their network?

What am I missing??
my luggage is better travelled than me!

tonystan

Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:12 pm

Quoting auntie (Reply 17):
If it is going to be a Central Bus Area then fine but they definitely need to get the signage sorted. The first time I arrived through T2 - in February - there was a sign staying Stand 9 for the car park bus, but all I found at Stand 9 was a line of taxis! Not sure if they have changed that sign now. I hope so.

Actually now you mention it, I did sort of get fooled by that one too when I first used T2! lol! Signage I think is the big problem for T2.

Quoting clydenairways (Reply 32):
It's getting a bit windy in DUB at the moment, lots of divertions to SNN i hear.

Indeed, WAW service currently in SNN. The EI585 managed to make it down after a go around but pax have now been standing in the baggage hall for almost 50 minutes waiting for the holds to be opened, delay due to high winds on the ramp! Fun and games!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

sawtooth

Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:04 pm

Quoting clydenairways (Reply 32):

Many delays on the board, 15 diverted according to breakingnews.ie, including AA092 sent to LHR

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/weath...port-to-divert-flights-524702.html

kaitak
Topic Author

Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:48 pm

Does anyone know where to access the current Dublin airport weather?

(If there are crosswinds, can't 16/34 be used?)

Hope the wind settles down a bit; I'm off home tomorrow!

330guy

Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:51 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 37):
http://euro.wx.propilots.net/

Select from the drop down METAR/TAF - multiple in/out and then EIDW in the airport field and search

Its died down a good bit now. Latest is

EIDW 171630Z 24012KT 9999 FEW015 SCT040 BKN100 05/05 Q1004 NOSIG

[Edited 2011-10-17 09:52:19]
Aircraft flown: a300/10/20/21/30/40, b727/37/47/57/67/, DC9, MD80-90, l1011, f50, atr42/72, shorts360, pc12

EIBusiness

Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:00 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 37):

(If there are crosswinds, can't 16/34 be used?)

Hope the wind settles down a bit; I'm off home tomorrow!

The winds will die down gradually this evening, but will remain fresh and will back to a more westerly / northwesterly component into tomorrow with a Polar Maritime flow.

The reason for the extreme conditions earlier today, which really only lasted for a short time was the fact that the first vigorous cold front of the Autumn crossed the country NW - SE. It was modelled at least two days in advance and DUB Ops would or should have been aware of the potential disruption in advance.

Along the main frontal line, there was a significant amount of shear which led to rapidly alternating winds and significant rainfall. This line passed out over the Irish Sea over 60 minutes ago.

EIBusiness

[Edited 2011-10-17 10:01:34]
Vivo Per Lei...

tonymctigue

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:13 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 30):
The Shannon Airport Authority seems to be aggressively marketing its UK flights these days. There are routemaps on a good few busses around Limerick and banners on websites too. I think it's a case of "focus on what we have" instead of pushing for new routes at the moment.

I have noticed that lately. Those signs are on clear show all over Galway too. Maybe not a bad thing for the SAA to do given the most recent round of route closures. Focus on consilidating their position rather than overstretching the rather limited demand that exists ex SNN at the moment. Not sure if the decision to target Galway with this particular campaign is because someone knew something was going to happen before the rest of us. I've seen plenty of ads for TA and European routes from SNN aroung Galway before but can't remember too many UK routes being pushed.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

masit

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:42 pm

Quoting sawtooth (Reply 36):

I see American only heading out now. Also EI 993 from Toulouse most have diverted to Belfast, on way back to DUB now.

AmricanShamrok

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:44 pm

I just found out my housemate's girlfriend is cabin crew with Aer Lingus out of Shannon and is working the EI135 (SNN-BOS) tomorrow. Hence, I'm now intrigued! Presumably she will work the EI134 on Thursday and be home again Friday morning. Does anyone know how the cabin crew roster out of Shannon works? I know all Aer Lingus Regional flights are Aer Arann crew leaving only SNN-LHR, SNN-JFK and SNN-BOS to be crewed by EI. In my head I'm thinking of something like this:

Week 1
SNN-BOS, BOS-SNN

Week 2
2 or 3 days of SNN-LHR

Week 3
SNN-JFK, JFK-SNN

Week 4
2 or 3 days of SNN-LHR

Quoting 330guy (Reply 38):
Select from the drop down METAR/TAF - multiple in/out and then EIDW in the airport field and search

Its died down a good bit now. Latest is

EIDW 171630Z 24012KT 9999 FEW015 SCT040 BKN100 05/05 Q1004 NOSIG

Any way of knowing what runway is in use?

Callbell

Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:10 pm

Would your mates girlfriend not work out of JFK wednesday night rather than all SNN crew spending 2 nights in the USA?

captainmeeerkat

Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:30 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 42):

You can always check one of the online radar sites (radar virtuel, flightradar24 etc), zoom into Dublin and see the path the planes are taking. It is only accurate up to the time of the feed though (usually 15mins behind)

ein105

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:15 pm

I just found out my housemate's girlfriend is cabin crew with Aer Lingus out of Shannon and is working the EI135 (SNN-BOS) tomorrow. Hence, I'm now intrigued! Presumably she will work the EI134 on Thursday and be home again Friday morning. Does anyone know how the cabin crew roster out of Shannon works? I know all Aer Lingus Regional flights are Aer Arann crew leaving only SNN-LHR, SNN-JFK and SNN-BOS to be crewed by EI. In my head I'm thinking of something like this:

Week 1
SNN-BOS, BOS-SNN

No they operate SNN-BOS tomorrow, then position to JFK, Then operate JFK-SNN on Wednesday. The crew in SNN operate a mixture of LHR flights and JFK/BOS.

Week 2
2 or 3 days of SNN-LHR

The crew operate more than 2 or 3 days of LHR per week!

[Edited 2011-10-17 13:15:59]

iRISH251

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:24 pm

Quoting captainMeeerkat (Reply 44):

You can always check one of the online radar sites (radar virtuel, flightradar24 etc), zoom into Dublin and see the path the planes are taking. It is only accurate up to the time of the feed though (usually 15mins behind)

Flightradar24 is almost live (maybe a minute behind) and is about the best, I find. You can adjust your personal settings so that once zoomed in you can see each flight's callsign, flight level and aircraft registration, for example..

OA260

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:39 pm

Quoting sawtooth (Reply 36):
Many delays on the board, 15 diverted according to breakingnews.ie, including AA092 sent to LHR

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/weath....html

It really was mad weather today no wonder it effected the flights. Suddenly I looked outside my office window and it was raining sideways. Was heading out to lunch and opened the door and it was very gusty. Coming out of work this evening its certainly Winter weather very cold.

Talking of Winter weather has the DAA got what it needs for the Snow this Winter? Have they invested anymore in the snow clearing equiptment?

captainmeeerkat

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:45 pm

Quoting IRISH251 (Reply 46):
Flightradar24 is almost live (maybe a minute behind) and is about the best, I find

Yes, it is a great site! I was watching it last week while listening to Shannon High Level ATC on liveatc.net and it seemed to be a little behind to what was being said but that might have been my slow connection

Eirules

Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:08 pm

Quoting captainMeeerkat (Reply 34):
Excuse my ignorance, but why would EY be interested in EI?

Apart from (potential) financial gain, what logistically can they gain?

I tend to agree. Surely if EY are interested in EI then they would be interested in BD too. BD offer a similar amount of valuable LHR slots and if they are looking at connecting people from European destinations that they dont serve onto their own metal, then the current BD slots for routes to MAN etc could be used. If it's a long haul partner they EY are looking for then surely VS would be a good fit given their link up with VA. The only advantage I can see with EI (and its more of a DUB advantage than an EI one) is preclearance. I still think the most likely suitor for EI will be either BA or LH, and if a BA purchase of BD goes ahead, then LH seem even more likely, if nothing else than to protect feed into LHR to airlines like SQ, UA etc
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos