shamrock604

RE: Irish 21/11: Flying With Attitude

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:48 pm

Quoting aerdingus (Reply 149):

Get your cash from Ulster Bank. Best rate out there from hard experience!

Eagleboy

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:38 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 146):
Mind you there is not much of a high quality selection this time. If you guys vote in Gallagher than you deserve everything you get !

7 variations of "what the hell?"
As much as it pains me to admit I think Micheal D is the best of the bunch.
Gallagher is not presidential material, can't believe he is at 40%. I could see him as a TD perhaps.
At least wee Micheal has the intellect, demeanour and gravitas for the role, the fact that he will have no real power is also appropriate to him!!!! Gallagher looks and sounds like a bouncer.

Quoting shamrock321 (Reply 148):
Also get to position to NRT in Club to fly back as crew from HND the following day, all going well!

I hear that the 0330 local pickup is a killer.
I doubt that you doing a TR would do much your rep as a new hire!!!!!!!
Actually as a PY crew member you may be able to ask for a jumpseat for T/O and/or landing?

OA260

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:33 am

Quick question, does anyone know if theres a commission free bureau de change in LHR? Or am I better off just gettin me currency here (HKD &SD)?

They advertise Com Free but its a rip off they get you on their terrible exchange rate so you may as well be paying Com. Id see if you can use a ATM card to get money out on arrival.

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 151):
Gallagher looks and sounds like a bouncer.

Got it in one. Dealing with fuel smugglers and claiming to be an Ind. then taking 5K cheques. Crook with a captial C. Nice material for a President . Lets hope the people are bright enough to vote the safe option in Mikey D .

----

Good news for potenial job seekers :

Airline to recruit 4,000 cabin crew

WITH the recession forcing thousands to fly to far flung shores in the hope of finding a job, Emirates is coming here in search of 4,000 high flyers.
The Dubai-based airline is holding four recruitment days across the country over the next 10 days in the hope of hiring cabin crew.

The days are being held in advance of the launch of Emirates’ daily passenger service from Dublin to Dubai, which begins on January 9. It is the Emirates’ first Irish route.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...bin-crew-171910.html#ixzz1bsQckWvZ

----

A HIGH Court judge will rule next week whether a firm selling London rail tickets from kiosks at Dublin Airport is entitled to orders restraining Ryanair from allegedly intimidating its staff pending the outcome of a full court action.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...nance/2011/1026/1224306503458.html

[Edited 2011-10-26 02:05:57]

bx737

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:05 am

Quick question, does anyone know if theres a commission free bureau de change in LHR?

If you have an Ulster Bank account, they are very reasonable on fees etc, and its free if you go to one of their sister banks in the UK, ie Nat West, RBS and Citizen Bank in the US. If you are working in the UK, open your account in either Nat West or RBS for the same reason. When I worked for a UK shipping company based in Ireland, that was their advice. Nat West are very helpful.

OA260

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:10 am

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 150):

Im with AIB and use my Laser/Maestro card for purchases and ATM withdrawals all over Europe and beyond and I have to say the exchange rates and fees a minimal. In fact I get the majority of my fees refunded if I do a few online payments and chip and PIN transactions. This may change so Im enjoying it whilst I can.

For booking FR and other fee attracting flights I use a prepay Mastercard from Moneybookers and its only EUR10 a year, its like having a real card without the risks. I can transfer amounts via my Laser card free and its really a great thing to have.

aerdingus

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:52 pm

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 150):

Thanks for the suggestion.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 152):
They advertise Com Free but its a rip off they get you on their terrible exchange rate so you may as well be paying Com. Id see if you can use a ATM card to get money out on arrival.

Yeah that's a possibility, must check if the Laser card works in HKG & SIN.

Quoting bx737 (Reply 153):
If you have an Ulster Bank account, they are very reasonable on fees etc, and its free if you go to one of their sister banks in the UK, ie Nat West, RBS and Citizen Bank in the US.

Unfortunately I'm with AIB, thanks for the suggestions though!
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

Irishbean

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:06 pm

Can someone help me with a quick question, I am looking at booking on the new Emirates flight from Dub to SYD via Dubai. I normally fly QF/BA on this route, as I travel in first (lucky me), the Eithad flight has no F from Dublin, and when I heard about Emirates with a 3 class cabin I was excited! however, upon some investigation, the first class on this flight, I believe in a a330, for the DUB Dubai route is not even full flat bed, its angled flat, like EI, could this be true? How can you sell first class at over €6,000, if half your flight is in a first class cabin from the 80's!!! Please advise? Thanks

shamrock604

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:15 pm

Quoting irishbean (Reply 156):
Can someone help me with a quick question, I am looking at booking on the new Emirates flight from Dub to SYD via Dubai. I normally fly QF/BA on this route, as I travel in first (lucky me), the Eithad flight has no F from Dublin, and when I heard about Emirates with a 3 class cabin I was excited! however, upon some investigation, the first class on this flight, I believe in a a330, for the DUB Dubai route is not even full flat bed, its angled flat, like EI, could this be true? How can you sell first class at over €6,000, if half your flight is in a first class cabin from the 80's!!! Please advise? Thanks

Emirates do have a number of configurations, and the A330 has not been brought up to spec with the latest products yet. So, i'm afraid that the product is not as good as on their A380's or 777's.

At least console yourself with the fact that DUB-DXB is only 6hr 30 in the air. You would not really be able to get a decent sleep on that flight, especially with the departure time of 1230 from DUB.

Having done the trip, i'd suggest wining and dining oneself from DUB to DXB, and sleeping it off from DXB to SYD, which is a very long sector!

It really would not put me off booking as like I said, DUB DXB is a very handy flight and not all comparable to LHR SIN or LHR BKK.

[Edited 2011-10-26 08:19:57]

Eagleboy

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:23 pm

Quoting irishbean (Reply 156):
...............upon some investigation, the first class on this flight, I believe in a a330, for the DUB Dubai route is not even full flat bed, its angled flat, like EI, could this be true? How can you sell first class at over €6,000, if half your flight is in a first class cabin from the 80's!!! Please advise? Thanks

Do you really need a flat bed on a 7 hour flight? And EI is 'only' Business Class, not First

And I think the comparison to the 80's is a bit over the top. EK are among the market leaders but not all Global F class has flat beds.

Is EK J class 2-3-3 as it seems from Brian's post below? I would have thought 2-2-2 was the norm.
What is their F Class config? 1-2-1?

I do agree on the over the top cost involved though. I would have though they would price it a little over the EY J class to encourage 'defections'. DUB not being an market with F class pax normally

[Edited 2011-10-26 09:25:32]

[Edited 2011-10-26 10:13:10]

BrianDromey

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:47 pm

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 123):
So if DUB now needs a total rebuild.... i would ask - who or what fuc*ed up?

It's not byond the bounds of possibility that no one "F**ked up". Im not familiar with the engineering of a runway, but as a rule Ireland has fairly wet, boggy soil with a high pete and/or clay content. None of these are particularly compatible with long runway lifespans.

Quoting aerdingus (Reply 155):
Yeah that's a possibility, must check if the Laser card works in HKG & SIN.

My guess is no. Laser is unique to Ireland and I've never used mine successfully outside the ROI for transactions. If your card has a LINK or PLUS symbol on the back (and it will if you are an AIB customer) you would be able to use it an ATMs though.

Quoting aerdingus (Reply 155):
Unfortunately I'm with AIB, thanks for the suggestions though!

Time to move! I defected to Ulster Bank after 15+ years with AIB. They issue Visa Debit, which is far more widely accepted than Laser - in fact anywhere you see the Visa sign. I have also found the in-branch and telephone service far superior to AIB, who seem to think they are doing you a favour by letting customers though the door / answering the phone.

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 157):
It really would not put me off booking as like I said, DUB DXB is a very handy flight and not all comparable to LHR SIN or LHR BKK.

I agree, EK are not quite the "industry leading product" that some would have you believe, especially the A330s - which are very last gen, product wise. That said, avoiding a connection would be more attractive to me than a flat bed for a 6hr sector. Although I do draw the line at 2-3-2 in J on an A330. That is a premium economy hard product, in my mind, it should be priced as such.

aerdingus

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:47 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 159):
If your card has a LINK or PLUS symbol on the back (and it will if you are an AIB customer) you would be able to use it an ATMs though.

Phew thank god for that, thanks.

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 159):
I have also found the in-branch and telephone service far superior to AIB, who seem to think they are doing you a favour by letting customers though the door / answering the phone

Bahaha true    I find AIB staff to be nice & friendly, but yeah little things like not even having a cash drop facility in my local branch irks me...& the whole Laser thing!
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

OA260

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:25 pm

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 158):
Do you really need a flat bed on a 7 hour flight? And EI is 'only' Business Class, not First

A flatbed is nice in J and F . I loved mine CAI-LHR lol...  
Quoting aerdingus (Reply 160):
I find AIB staff to be nice & friendly

Me too and Im rarely in branch I do everything online so suits me fine. I use my AIB Laser for chip and PIN in UK and Ireland. Worked a treat in the Apple store a few weeks back  

BestWestern

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:32 pm

looks like Laser is being phased out in favour of Visa debit

http://www.newstalk.ie/2011/news/1laser-cards-to-be-phased-out96/

Anyway, back on topic...

The excellent crew in CityJet were on strike???

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...trike-possible-oct-29-nov-2-a.html

(read till the end of the thread!)
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

OA260

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:40 am

€300m investment in air leasing group

A SOVEREIGN wealth fund in Singapore is set to invest $300 million in equity in Irish aircraft leasing group Avolon.

Singapore’s Government Investment Corporation (GIC) will inject the funding into the Dublin-based company to become a major shareholder in Avolon alongside Cinven, CVC Capital Partners and Oak Hill Capital Partners, the private equity groups.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...nance/2011/1027/1224306561362.html

----
The death has taken place in New York of Tom Kennedy, for many years a prominent figure in the expansion of services in North America by Aer Lingus and in later years one of the leading executives in the American Ireland Fund.When Aer Lingus went transatlantic and renamed Irish International Airlines, Kennedy was named Public Relations/Advertising Manager, and from l959 to l984 he was an integral part of the launching of the airline in major U.S. cities with large Irish American cities.

http://irishecho.com/?p=67586

---

More on the Cityjet industrial relations issue hope this does not escalate :

The flight attendants of French CityJet , a subsidiary of Air France based in Dublin, went on strike Friday to protest against poor working conditions and ask for the move to France the headquarters of the company, officials said a union source. The CGT-FO and SNPNC, the two unions representing cabin crew French (PNC, 52 employees) of CityJet, filed a strike notice on Friday 5:00 to 11:59 p.m. Tuesday.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-eco/201...reve-des-hotesses-chez-cityjet.php

---
CONSULTATIONS WITH GALWAY AIRPORT STAFF UNDERWAY

One to one consultations are underway with the 47 staff at Galway airport who will be made redundant next week.

The Carnmore airport is to be downgraded to a category two status when Aer Arann suspends flights to and from the facility next Tuesday.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/22317-consu...ions-galway-airport-staff-underway

Sad for the staff of GWY . Hopefully in the future they can find a way to look at other options.

Eirules

Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:12 pm

Another thread is reporting a UA expansion from IAD for next Summer with DUB apparently among the most likely destinations. Would be good if true, but another 752 - a bit of variety would be great
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

AmricanShamrok

Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:35 pm

Quoting EIRules (Reply 164):
Another thread is reporting a UA expansion from IAD for next Summer with DUB apparently among the most likely destinations. Would be good if true, but another 752 - a bit of variety would be great

I can't wait to see how the new UA expands. Praying for a seasonal SNN-ORD on the 752 - that's all I ask!!!

Eirules

Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:56 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 165):
I can't wait to see how the new UA expands. Praying for a seasonal SNN-ORD on the 752 - that's all I ask!!!

ORD-SNN could be possible given EI's problems on the route, much due to the size of the A330. The 752 would be much more suitable size wise. I couldnt see UA doing ORD-DUB though, not with EI and the seasonal AA service. IAD on the otherhand has no direct competition from DUB so can see this being a distinct possibility

OA260

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:04 pm

If anyones interested some amazing discounts on BMI . The promo codes are working even wthout a Barclaycard. Some J class fares are around £472 off.

http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/offe...aycard-exclusive-flight-offer.aspx

DUB is listed in the EX: UK section not sure if its working EX: DUB .

auntie

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi folks - I just have a quick question for anyone in the know.

I am travelling to BRS tomorrow with FR with my sister and 2 of her kids. There is a third child on the booking, who now needs to travel on Saturday instead and a seperate one-way flight has been booked for her. Can anyone tell me (definitively) whether she will be able to use the return part of her booking on Monday, having not travelled on the outbound flight.

I know this has been discussed before with regards to NOT being able to do this, but that maybe FR were different, as it's sold as 2 x one-way flights (or something???) I checked out 'Article 7 - Refusal of Carriage' on their Conditions and it wasn't mentioned

Has anyone actually done this recently???

Any input appreciated, thanks

Eagleboy

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:47 pm

I think if both flights (the original ones) were booked completely seperated then not travelling on 1 will have no impact on the second one.

Is this right, original booking was for 2 adults and 3 kids DUB-BRS-DUB Friday and Monday. However 1 kid cannot make it and has booked a one-way DUB-BRS on Saturday? So ye were hoping to travel out split up but all return on Monday?

I believe that when the 3rd kid does not travel on Friday the 2nd part of the booking will be negated.
Unless ye check in the 3rd kid, when they do not travel FR may count this as a missed flight.

Although I am just guessing with this........

[Edited 2011-10-27 15:24:10]

auntie

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:57 pm

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 169):
Is this right, original booking was for 2 adults and 3 kids DUB-BRS-DUB Friday and Monday. However 1 kid cannot make it and has booked a one-way DUB-BRS on Saturday? So ye were hoping to travel out split up but all return on Monday?

Correct

I just put a call in there, she is checked in for both flights and boarding cards printed - if this makes a difference. My sister just half mentioned it in passing that the eldest was going with her Dad on Saturday ......... I think I might have panicked her a bit now, oops!

Thanks Eagleboy!

Edited to add: "By 'checked in for both flights' I mean Friday's Outbound and Monday's return"

[Edited 2011-10-27 14:58:16]

tonymctigue

Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:03 am

Quoting EIRules (Reply 166):

Please, please, please UA, a 4x or 5x weekly seasonal B757 service would be just fantastic! UA already have the necessary ground facilities in place at SNN for the EWR service so no major additional expense there. There has been a proven demand in the past. The main problem EI faced was the lack of a suitable sized aircraft
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

styles9002

Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:36 pm

Quoting EIRules (Reply 164):
Another thread is reporting a UA expansion from IAD for next Summer with DUB apparently among the most likely destinations.

Would be great news for both UA/CO, IAD and DUB if they launch the route.
It is what it is.

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:20 pm

It will be great news and a welcome confidence boost; first we get one of the world's fastest growing airlines (EK) and now, one of - if the not THE - world's biggest, UA. IAD is a big hub for UA and of course, that will offer new routes to Ireland to holidaymakers and business people. And it incentivises this huge airline to focus its marketing prowess on selling Ireland.

I'm guessing 763s would be most likely, possibly moving up to 772s in due course. (Not sure if the 764s are based at IAD yet - don't think so).

BrianDromey

Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:07 pm

Quoting tonymctigue (Reply 171):

Oh come on now! I, really sick of hearing how SNN is faild by airlines using the wrong equipment,, at the wrong times, or the wrong fares. It's all bull. If people don't use the route in sufficient numbers, at economical fares the route will fail. No matter what SNN gets, it never right. One minute SNN 'needs' an early morning flight to the London area, when it gets one - to LGW - it's "too early". Same for ORD - people went out of their way to take a cheaper connecting journey than pay the premium for a direct flight. Use it, or loose it, guys!
Aside from this, there is the small issue that UA currently has a grand total of ZERO transatlantic 757s at ORD presently and is unlikely to have in the near future, the range out of ORD would be pushing it, MAN is about asa far as they could go. Potentially they could route the aircraft EWR-SNN-ORD, I suppose. Perhaps reducing the number of EWR flights.

Quoting kaitak (Reply 173):

I imagine it might be 757s to begin with, at least. I think the plan at UA is to use the reconfigured 767-300s on 2-class routes out of EWR, displacing 757s /764s and replacing 762s, where the range and capacity is required. Given the number of 757 routes out of IAD is limited, even CDG seems to be causing diversions, DUB could be a good option for them.
Doubts have been cast by EI on the lack of demand for IAD out of Ireland, but i suspect that is just EI - in all fairness they failed at DXB and there are 2 daily flights to the region from January.

shamrock350

Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:13 pm

The rumour mill is in full swing again.

We've heard that EI may handle the EK DXB flight but according to another site the handling agreement will be announced with a code share agreement on the route as well. Earlier today ITTN tweeted that Emirates was to code share with Aer Lingus but the unfortunately the link doesn't work, it seems to be have been removed.

http://twitter.com/#!/ittn_ie/status/129851298693648384

Could be crossed wires with the current EI/EK partnership of DUB-UK routes or as Mueller finally found that partner to Asia?

EI320

Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:18 pm

Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 175):
Earlier today ITTN tweeted that Emirates was to code share with Aer Lingus but the unfortunately the link doesn't work, it seems to be have been removed.

The proverb "If you can't beat them, join them" comes to mind. This should work perfectly well for EI - it's a risk-free way of gaining that vital link with Asia. It also sheds further light on why EI have decided against joining one of the global alliances.

It's just a great pity that it couldn't have been the other way round (ie. an EK code on an EI-operated service).

Eirules

Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:23 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 174):
I imagine it might be 757s to begin with, at least. I think the plan at UA is to use the reconfigured 767-300s on 2-class routes out of EWR, displacing 757s /764s and replacing 762s, where the range and capacity is required. Given the number of 757 routes out of IAD is limited, even CDG seems to be causing diversions, DUB could be a good option for them.
Doubts have been cast by EI on the lack of demand for IAD out of Ireland, but i suspect that is just EI - in all fairness they failed at DXB and there are 2 daily flights to the region from January.

I agree. If anything I could see EWR-DUB going 763 during the summer months with a 752 on IAD-DUB. Either way, another new route to DUB is always welcome, if true that is!

Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 175):
Could be crossed wires with the current EI/EK partnership of DUB-UK routes or as Mueller finally found that partner to Asia?

Surely not? The only partner who will get any real benefit from this would be EI. What do EK really get out of it bar feed onto the DUB-DXB route from regional EI (/RE) flights from airports they dont currently fly to. They fly non stop to most (if not all?? ie MCO) of EI's American destinations so no feed here. Sounds a little far fetched to me

shamrock604

Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:28 pm

Quoting EIRules (Reply 177):

EK may pen a "hardblock" deal with EI on the route which means EI purchase a guaranteed number of seats on each flight, thereby reducing the commercial risk to EK.

Eirules

Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:43 pm

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 178):
EK may pen a "hardblock" deal with EI on the route which means EI purchase a guaranteed number of seats on each flight, thereby reducing the commercial risk to EK.

Possibly. But surely EI would purchase these seats at a pretty low rate. If so, it doesnt say much for EK's faith in filling the route, especially given the success of EY

OA260

Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:05 pm

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 178):
EK may pen a "hardblock" deal with EI on the route which means EI purchase a guaranteed number of seats on each flight,

Hmm whilst good for Aer Lingus judging by the first load info for the early flights EK wont need to rely on any other carrier. I see EI would be the one who has everything to gain from any venture. EK would be doing EI a favor as they have the frquency and the product. Something Aer Lingus lacked when they served DXB. I dont think EI will be getting any amazing sector fares from EK to be honest. Maybe a better than nett fare. I doubt EI will take allocation either unless they have a get out clause.

BrianDromey

Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:46 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 180):
EK would be doing EI a favor as they have the frquency and the product

I dispute that EK have "the product", sorry Phil! The A330 is very last gen. No AVOD, old, bulky seats, 2-3-2 recliners in Business, recliners in First. the transfer experience in DXB can be miserable and the EK lounges are notoriously overcrowded. Even on the 777 that 10 abreast seating advantage has been lost as pitch has decreased to 32".

OA260

Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:11 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 181):
I dispute that EK have "the product", sorry Phil! The A330 is very last gen. No AVOD, old, bulky seats, 2-3-2 recliners in Business, recliners in First. the transfer experience in DXB can be miserable and the EK lounges are notoriously overcrowded. Even on the 777 that 10 abreast seating advantage has been lost as pitch has decreased to 32".

While it is true about the seats, They have the same ones I flew some years back J class MAN-DXB-MAN I still feel the EK product is better than EI. Sorry I still see EI longhaul as LCC. Two of my colleagues recently back from BOS and JFK and the feedback was quite bad really. These are not normally people that say much usually they say ''everything was grand'' but this time they said the food was dreadful and crew no interest in the job at all. Shame to hear feedback like that. Comparing EK's current product to the product EI offered on DXB at the time EK win hands down. One of the worst flights longhaul I ever had was a DUB-LAX and I swore never again and have not since. Dont get me wrong I love EI European product and will always choose it over other airlines such as FR/EZY etc... For some reason some people dont like EK , I have no personal interest in them to like them or hate them but I would rather take EK DUB-DXB than EI. Im so glad EK opened the route than EI re opening it. I just feel EK will do it more justice and properly. We have seen EI's failures before and that was in the ''good times''.

What happened to the EI Y class catering overhaul ? Never saw it .

BrianDromey

Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:59 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 182):
Im so glad EK opened the route than EI re opening it. I just feel EK will do it more justice and properly. We have seen EI's failures before and that was in the ''good times''.

I hear what you are saying. I just don't think the EK product is quite as good as it is sometimes made out to be. That said, more one-stops to Asia is great and I fully support that.
To be honest, at the minute I am loosing faith in air travel, so Im a bit grouchy! My MAN-ORK is delayed 5+ hrs. Expected arrival into ORK 0345, I am finding myself delayed quite often when I fly Regional / RE. Not minor delays either, when things go wrong they seem to go badly wrong. The stats suggests that 80% on-time for EI 3729, with an average delay of 58 mins. They need to make their operation more robust. If this performance continues through the winter I will be switching to LPL-ORK with FR.

EIBusiness

Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:05 am

What happened to the EI Y class catering overhaul ? Never saw it .

I've heard that new options have been / are being trialled at present.

Speaking of EI - had a very pleasant flight to ZRH last night. A little late, but an almost 100% Load Factor. Very Good Value For Money.

Crew were very pleasant and efficient and strikingly helpful to passengers with special needs / requirements.

Sorry I still see EI longhaul as LCC.

The AVOD / Hard Product on the A330s is certainly anything but LCC standard.

EIBusiness
Vivo Per Lei...

Eagleboy

Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:44 am

Doubts have been cast by EI on the lack of demand for IAD out of Ireland, but i suspect that is just EI - in all fairness they failed at DXB and there are 2 daily flights to the region from January

But wasn't this seen as lack of demand for J class. I can remember an interview with E.Corneille in late 2009 in which he talked about the reasons behind ending IAD and West Coast.

I still feel the EK product is better than EI. Sorry I still see EI longhaul as LCC

How many cabin crew will EK have in J class and Y class. Regardless of the actual food/seat/IFE the number of crew available for service impacts pax satisfaction.

Comparing EK's current product to the product EI offered on DXB at the time EK win hands down.

Remembering the EI plans under Mannion I shudder to make that comparison.

What happened to the EI Y class catering overhaul ? Never saw it

Trials underway, any fleet wide changes to be introduced before next Summer. I have been told they plan to overhaul longhaul and shorthaul.

tonymctigue

Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:46 am

Oh come on now! I, really sick of hearing how SNN is faild by airlines using the wrong equipment,, at the wrong times, or the wrong fares.

I am equally sick of you tell me that every route operated by every airline to every destination out of SNN is doomed to fail and that we should just accept this and not even bother trying. To quote David Norris "Try again. Fail again. Fail better". EI stated when the pulled several TA routes stated that DUB-SFO and SNN-ORD were likely to return in the future when the economic situation improves. I admit things at SNN are tought and perhaps will be for some time. SNN-EWR works very well because it is operated by a right sized aircraft with good timings both on the oubdound leg and the return leg to facilitate transfers. ORD has a similar sized hub with a similar demand for O & D traffic that was long established from SNN. It can be done. I said it before and I'll say it again, there is no one on this site or anywhere else that will convince me that the situation at SNN is as good as it gets because it simply isn't.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

shamrock350

Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:46 pm

Aer Lingus EI416 to Bologna has diverted to BHX a few moments ago, was squawking 7700 (general emergency) and could be followed on Flightradar24 as it turned around and headed towards BHX.

The aircraft is an A321, EI-CPH. Hopefully nothing too serious.

kaitak
Topic Author

Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:18 pm

Looks like MO'L isn't the only Irish airline boss who can give governments heartache.

Today, Alan Joyce, CEO of Qantas, grounded the airline until a permanent solution to the airline's dispute with its technical staff is solved. The dispute has been dragging on for a while now and a number of QF aircraft have been grounded. Australia's PM, Julia Gillard, has said that there are serious concerns about the effect of this move on Australia's economy, which is obviously very dependant on tourism, not to mention air freight.

At least Ms. Gillard can't complain about a foreigner running Qantas; she's from Wales!

SURFER

Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:55 pm

Quoting tonymctigue (Reply 186):
I am equally sick of you tell me that every route operated by every airline to every destination out of SNN is doomed to fail and that we should just accept this and not even bother trying. To quote David Norris "Try again. Fail again. Fail better". EI stated when the pulled several TA routes stated that DUB-SFO and SNN-ORD were likely to return in the future when the economic situation improves. I admit things at SNN are tought and perhaps will be for some time. SNN-EWR works very well because it is operated by a right sized aircraft with good timings both on the oubdound leg and the return leg to facilitate transfers. ORD has a similar sized hub with a similar demand for O & D traffic that was long established from SNN. It can be done. I said it before and I'll say it again, there is no one on this site or anywhere else that will convince me that the situation at SNN is as good as it gets because it simply isn't.

Hear Hear Tony sick and tired of this attitude of doom and gloom!!Its true to say SNN is in difficult times but it has happened in the past many times and turned things around.SNN must for the time being concentrate on keeping the routes it has and planning for the future.The Lynx cargo facility should hopefully start to turn soil in the next 6 to 12 months from what i hear and this will be key to SNN survival strategy.The airport is working hard to set up cargo US pre-clearnace/security in conjunction with the Lynx facility and this in itself will be a very popular selling point to any company or airline looking to use SNN.The pre-clearance option for general aviation is slowly starting to take off and the fuel stop business for GA/charter aircraft is picking back up in a big way as i know first hand!
I strongly agree the SNN-ORD route can be served again and with time hopefully it will be re-instated or served by another airline such as UA/CO.Things at SNN are certainly not a case as good as it gets there is potential for routes, FR proved that in the past and in the future i am confident another airline or airlines will prove that.

BrianDromey

Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:12 pm

I think the Lynx cargo facility and associated Pre-Clearence are very good additions to SNN, almost certainly 10-20 years too late, but should be well positioned for the up-turn. Imagine if FedEx or UPS or DHL had set-up their European hub at SNN? Of course the non-existent road network to the mainland makes that a but impractical, but it could be a good "sorting" location for packages to/from Europe, Africa, Asia and the Americas.

Quoting SURFER (Reply 189):
Things at SNN are certainly not a case as good as it gets there is potential for routes, FR proved that in the past and in the future i am confident another airline or airlines will prove that.

What did they prove, other than by selling seats at a massive loss you can get people to come? Airlines that have tried many of the routes since have not been able to make the routes work financially. These are not fringe routes, LGW and CDG are recurrent failures. That says enough to me about the potential at SNN, I don't think there is a lot more to say, people are confusing what they want to see happen with what actually can happen. I believe and would love for ORK to have a 757 to the East cost, but I just don't see it happening. Good to dream though!

OA260

Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:55 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 183):
I hear what you are saying. I just don't think the EK product is quite as good as it is sometimes made out to be. That said, more one-stops to Asia is great and I fully support that.

Oh I dont think it is the best product there are many other airlines I would put above EK but hopefully in time if the route is a success we may get an upgrade. The route network is a big plus and of course a direct link into DXB rather than AUH and bus it. It will be interesting to see who gets the premium traffic considering the difference in seats between EK and EY. Or will EY keep their J traffic and EK get some of the Via LHR FRA CDG traffic.

Quoting EIBusiness (Reply 184):

Ive been hearing that for the last two years to be honest. Id love to see photos of these new meals and offerings. That will be the proof in the pudding ! Pardon the pun  
Crew were very pleasant and efficient and strikingly helpful to passengers with special needs / requirements.

Good to hear and as I stated above their European product is fine.

Was it not yourself that had a very bad experience on a recent EI J class flight. I seem to remember you were very angry about it when you posted on here?

The AVOD / Hard Product on the A330s is certainly anything but LCC standard.

Maybe but I put more value on catering and crew than a TV  

EIBusiness

Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:28 pm

To quote David Norris "Try again. Fail again. Fail better".

That's all good and well Tony and I admire with your enthusiastic sentiment, however: The free market generally only allows for failure once. Moves to detach SNN from DAA (DUB) financial support for example only enhance the limitations on near term growth expansion initiatives ex SNN.

EI stated when the pulled several TA routes stated that DUB-SFO and SNN-ORD were likely to return in the future when the economic situation improves.

I see this mentioned quite often. But, I think that there were several caveats associated with such an outcome and one of those related to the average price of oil. Current price levels would undermine that medium term possibility, especially given the positive correlation between Oil prices and the Economic Cycle. Moreover, with EI ruling out a return to the West Coast only recently, SNN-ORD has to be some distance behind a DUB-SFO route for example in terms of priority.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 191):
Was it not yourself that had a very bad experience on a recent EI J class flight. I seem to remember you were very angry about it when you posted on here?

It sure was. However, I received an impressive, high level response which I thought was satisfactory. Such an experience, to date at least in my experience has been the exception rather than the norm. That said, it doesn't excuse the experience which was truly awful.

Maybe but I put more value on catering and crew than a TV

I certainly agree - but 90% of the time on EI Longhaul Flights, I really can't fault the crew and another 75% of the time, their overall effort exceeds what could be reasonably expected.

EIBusiness
Vivo Per Lei...

AmricanShamrok

Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:45 pm

Well said! And of course, any positive developments in route expansion at Shannon (such as the adding and sustaining of four extra weekly seasonal SNN-EWR flights) and you won't hear a sniff of a mention from the usual Shannon-bashers. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's sick of it.

OA260

Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:57 pm

Quoting EIBusiness (Reply 192):
It sure was. However, I received an impressive, high level response which I thought was satisfactory.

Good glad you got a positive outcome than the generic ''We hope you choose to fly with us again'' LOL...  

Aer Lingus

Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:32 pm

Had a very pleasant cockpit experience sitting in the right seat of a Vickers Vanguard today chatting to a retired BA captain. It was a trip down memory lane as I can remember, and always will remember, the sound of those Rolls Royce Tyne engines spooling up at the cargo terminal at DUB as a wee one in the early 90's!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Fergal Goodman

ein105

Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:27 pm

Ive been hearing that for the last two years to be honest. Id love to see photos of these new meals and offerings. That will be the proof in the pudding ! Pardon the pun

There is a lot of changes in the works. A lot of my friends that work for EI have said the same. Any changes/upgrades were put on hold until the commerical side of the business was sorted

Quoting EIBusiness (Reply 192):
EI stated when the pulled several TA routes stated that DUB-SFO and SNN-ORD were likely to return in the future when the economic situation improves.
Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 193):
Well said! And of course, any positive developments in route expansion at Shannon (such as the adding and sustaining of four extra weekly seasonal SNN-EWR flights) and you won't hear a sniff of a mention from the usual Shannon-bashers. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's sick of it.

I cant see EI ever returning to SNN-ORD, as they have become increasingly more focused on building DUB as a hub. EI's operations are so heavily seasonal as they are, that they would be unlikely to operate an additional seasonal route like SNN-ORD. II could see UA launching ORD-SNN, but I would guess that it would be in place of the additional 4 frequencies that they usually operate to EWR

MrAero36

Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:49 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 190):

"I think the Lynx cargo facility and associated Pre-Clearence are very good additions to SNN, almost certainly 10-20 years too late, but should be well positioned for the up-turn. Imagine if FedEx or UPS or DHL had set-up their European hub at SNN? Of course the non-existent road network to the mainland makes that a but impractical, but it could be a good "sorting" location for packages to/from Europe, Africa, Asia and the Americas."

SNN were offered this facility about 15 or so years ago, if they upgraded the airport to CAT III, today it is still CAT II, get the finger out and future proof the airport. I loved working there and know it has potential, it just lacks management with vision

dstc47

Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:15 am

Quoting SURFER (Reply 189):
To quote David Norris "Try again. Fail again. Fail better".

Which he did not even manage!
All right failing with your own money, on your own pet project, but SNN likes to fail with the taxpayers money.
Now some of this is driven by "only game in town" syndrome, back the only scheme in play. (Retention of Stopover beyond any rational need, continue reliance on Aeroflot fuel stops, AB Airlines, deal with FR, - sure to end in tears, etc, etc).

As for EI service to ORD from SNN, I think seasonal services longhaul are likely gone for ever, unless some sweet deals turn up for aircraft utilisation in winter.

Now why can Iceland, with the population of a decent bus queue, offer service to DEN, less central now than in the glory days of the CO hub, and Ireland fail with services to the West Coast?

In passing, saw last night that the overnight EI Orlando service was cancelled, hardly weather related, despite adverse weather further up the east coast.

shamrock604

Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:02 pm

Quoting dstc47 (Reply 198):

The DAA, and before it Aer Rianta, being a commercial organisation, does not receive a cent from the taxpayer.

I just thought it fair to point that out!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos