Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

slcdeltarumd11
Topic Author

SLC Cargo Flights Listing. Does A Hub Make Less?

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:58 am

Does anyone happen to know what freight planes are scheduled for SLC? Fed, UPS, DHL etc

Does having a large Delta hub make SLC need less cargo ops? Delta looks like they have a pretty largo cargo operation generally speaking so im wondering if that means less space is needed by fedex, ups, DHL, etc with Delta large in SLC

Also sticking to the Rocky Mountain Region does anyone know what cargo flights are scheduled for COS? I use to see a fedex 757 there which is cool for COS.

[Edited 2011-10-17 02:01:22]

acjflyer

RE: SLC Cargo Flights Listing. Does A Hub Make Less?

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:03 am

The majority of what I have seen at SLC when passing through there is the DC-10, 727, and the occasional ATR with Fedex. UPS has an operation on the northern end of the airport near the control tower where I see the A310 and 757 at times. In the past the DC-8 used to go through SLC as well with UPS and at one time Emery Worldwide even brought in the DC-9.

UPS and FedEx both have their smaller feeder flying done with Caravans etc.

I hope that helps even though it is very limited and only accurate to what I have seen when passing through there every now and then.

As for your other question regarding whether or not it is viable to have a cargo hub in SLC I think it could work but each carrier and cargo operation already have their established hubs elsewhere. It would take a lot of incentives for someone to decide to put a hub there solely for cargo operations.

[Edited 2011-10-22 07:29:49 by srbmod]

tb727

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:08 am

I know at about 730pm local a Capital 727 departs for DEN and CVG for DHL.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CCI194

The morning return comes in around 730am local.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CCI594

There are UPS and FedEx flights but a 727 is usually a highlight for me at any airport.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

HPRamper

Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:31 am

SLC has a pretty standard size Fedex operation for the size of the metro. Two flights in morning, two at night (one of these is a BOI tag flight). MEM flights are both standard MD10 turns, the tag flight routes BOI-SLC-OAK and then back, on an A300.

PanHAM

Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:14 pm

Hubs need an industrial base to make sense, in additon hubs need to be located in the demographic center of a region. I don't think that SLC can meet both requirements. The US demographic centres are all located in the Mid West, MEM is kind of an exception for known reasons. Regional hubs in the West - OAK and ONT all are close or right in the middle of an industrial base. The sa,me goes for DFW and RFD.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

HPRamper

Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:54 pm

Don't forget, SLC may have large DL Cargo ops, but that is because of the fact it's a hub. Cargo is moreso transferring between flights there than it is originating. On airlines, cargo moves through the system just like passengers do, usually transiting a hub on the way.

I just noticed that last part of the OP. COS still gets a Fedex 757. It actually continues on to GJT. Yep little GJT gets a 757 every day.

[Edited 2011-10-21 09:06:56]

slcdeltarumd11
Topic Author

Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:08 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Thread starter):
Does having a large Delta hub make SLC need less cargo ops?

My question was if having a large Delta hub means that there are less cargo only flights not if SLC could support a cargo hub. I doubt SLC elevation makes it even a good candidate for that

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 6):
I just noticed that last part of the OP. COS still gets a Fedex 757. It actually continues on to GJT. Yep little GJT gets a 757 every day.

Cool thanks. I had no idea it continued to GJT but i can see why that would help get cargo to Western Colorado/Eastern Utah and the Mountains make that area a tough trip in the Winter often over high mountain passes.

[Edited 2011-10-22 07:31:43 by srbmod]

mayor

Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:28 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 4):
Hubs need an industrial base to make sense, in additon hubs need to be located in the demographic center of a region. I don't think that SLC can meet both requirements. The US demographic centres are all located in the Mid West, MEM is kind of an exception for known reasons. Regional hubs in the West - OAK and ONT all are close or right in the middle of an industrial base. The sa,me goes for DFW and RFD.

I think you might be surprised how much manufacturing goes on at SLC. Maybe not enough to support a cargo hub, but certainly enough to compliment DL's connecting freight. There's alot of medical manufacturing that gets exported. At least it was 6 years ago and I would think that with the CDG flight, it would be the same, at least.

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 5):
Don't forget, SLC may have large DL Cargo ops, but that is because of the fact it's a hub. Cargo is moreso transferring between flights there than it is originating. On airlines, cargo moves through the system just like passengers do, usually transiting a hub on the way.

See above
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos